The GW$ Debacle...

And Scully's old man.

Let's never forget that, until they were caught, the AFL were prepared to let GWS pay that phat [censored] to pretend to scout players.

• Like 2

I do not want to throw everything at O'Rourke. I'd throw abit, he hasnt proved anything

Same boat with Tyson i guess, didn't have much chances to prove anything, but i guess Tyson always had undeniable talent. I guess with Roos, any player can be transformed into playing a very good role for us.

• Like 1

Gives me great joy to see them suffer and continue to be as irrelevant as they were on day one.

May failure follow Scully until his last days in the game.

And a long time after that.

• Like 1

Can't see Treloar staying beyond this season without looking for a trade to a victorian club IMO. Hope we throw everything at him or O'Rourke.

Treloar yes... O'Rourke I've not seen enough of.

A million dollars a year could have been split between 2-3 Nathan Jones style players rather than sheedy trying to get back at Melbourne for knocking him back.

I heard they were also in the ear of watts, trengove and frawley

• Like 2

The biggest mistake they made is not controlling the club from the start. They put way too much faith in Gubby Allen and he had a different agenda. He sold snake oil to the AFL and they took it by the gallon. They sacked the CEO and put in their own man when things were going backwards but they only did half the job.

If they wanted a presence then they needed it to be a good solid one, the recruiting strategy was aiming to win a flag early and it was wrong. They needed to bring in quality AFL level players and they didn't do it.

The coaching appointments have also been a disaster to date. GC have gone about things with a solid strategy with Clayton from day 1 and you can't undersell the benefits they got from playing a year of VFL footy before coming into the competition. Also McKenna, even though he has had some tough times, is a really solid appointment. They also had Hinkley up there early in the piece.

GWS have had 2 nut cases followed by a guy who thought he would get an armchair ride to the flag. The coaching appointment of Cameron was too smart by half.

I don't think its a disaster at all. building new clubs has always been a hit&miss affair to start with. they did the opposite of the Bears early recruiting. & got it wrong again by 90 degrees. Balance is the key, as we've all witnessed in our own examples.

The AFL aren't dumb, & they will be right onto whats not going right atmo. And repairs always take place after the fact.

No one could rightly expect them to have had success in the first 3 years. but the GWS boys would be expecting to be in the place of the Crows on the ladder, at this point in time.

So maybe its the success of the Suns thus far, & the visible rise of the Dees as we speak, that is paining them. There may be an element of panic amongst the GWS kids feeling left behind.

Its our time to hit pay-dirt, this end of season.

Edited by dee-luded
  • Like 1

I don't think its a disaster at all. building new clubs has always been a hit&miss affair to start with. they did the opposite of the Bears early recruiting. & got it wrong again by 90 degrees. Balance is the key, as we've all witnessed in our own examples.

The AFL aren't dumb, & they will be right onto whats not going right atmo. And repairs always take place after the fact.

No one could rightly expect them to have had success in the first 3 years. but the GWS boys would be expecting to be in the place of the Crows on the ladder, at this point in time.

So maybe its the success of the Suns thus far, & the visible rise of the Dees as we speak, that is paining them. There may be an element of panic amongst the GWS kids feeling left behind.

I'll tell you this, if they get a priority pick at years end ill do a fair impression of Michael Douglas in Falling Down.

• Like 3

Hoskin-Elliot, would be good around the forward line, plus with a name like that he should be playing for us anyway.

I reckon Paton is a bit soft, not a fan.

Im with you on Paton.

Why trade a first round draft pick for a young tall forward who has had a knee reco when you could use the draft pick on a tall forward who hasnt had a knee reco?

I havent seen anything that has really impressed me yet.

• Like 1

Im with you on Paton.

Why trade a first round draft pick for a young tall forward who has had a knee reco when you could use the draft pick on a tall forward who hasnt had a knee reco?

I havent seen anything that has really impressed me yet.

He is an absolute brute with no delivery. The GWS boys dont kick it to his advantage so he cannot outmuscle his opponent.

If we have any opportunity i'd love him

Did anyone realise Kelly had zip touches at all? came on towards end of the 3rd and had no touches. Lol at Barrett.

Lol at the majority of the footy media

• Like 2

Did anyone realise Kelly had zip touches at all? came on towards end of the 3rd and had no touches. Lol at Barrett.

youre joshing surely :rolleyes:

• Like 1

They got the wrong people in charge and went about it the wrong way, maybe not a disaster but poor effort built on snake oil.

That's pretty poor.

As for the making a play for Frawley, not a chance. He'll either stay on or go somewhere where he will see success and a chance at a premiership. I'll back the Hawks as the most likely to land him if he decides to go.

If they get a priority pick after how much everyone went off about Melbourne wanting one, then all hell will break loose if they get one.

• Like 2

GWS was not created to share the love of the game but, rather, to stop the expansion of soccer. For mine, it's an important distinction. It's an artificial construct. Plus I hate the pracks.

GWS was not created to share the love of the game but, rather, to stop the expansion of soccer. For mine, it's an important distinction. It's an artificial construct. Plus I hate the pracks.

Which is a massive reason why it won't succeed - and why it will probably even backfire.

• Like 1

but what if they give out 3 ppicks, to the Lions, Dees, & GWS?

We don't need a PP.

Lions were one of the big ones going off about us getting a PP, they need one but i'll use the line they wanted to pull on us, "They got themselves in this mess"

The GWS problem isn't draft picks, it's the mature blokes, like ffs they brought in Heath Shaw as a "mature" player and slotted him straight in the leadership group and let Riewoldt kick 11 on him, i'll give him the benefit of the doubt he never should have had to play on him, it's that moron Leon Cameron's fault.

so were the Bears. they came good.

If we're not in it, we sacrifice it to soccer without a fight, & other sports.

Tassy has already established communities of footy, & there isn't much money to be received by the team that would be down there, Re sponsors etc, to run the club successfully.

• Like 1

Tassy has already established communities of footy, & there isn't much money to be received by the team that would be down there, Re sponsors etc, to run the club successfully.

Dee L, GWS gets three men and a dog to their games and the Afl are happy to prop them up to the end of time. I'm also not entirely convinced that the two sports can't co exist.