The GW$ Debacle...

I think you've overestimated Sheedy's role. Mark Williams did the majority of the coaching. Silvagni was list manager. Sheedy was figure head and publicist and part time coach. The real stuff up I think was getting Gubby Allen fresh after he derailed Brisbane with crazy Vossy via the Fev and co deals. Coming off a horrible experience with old players he went all for youth along with the inexperienced Silvagni and their draft picks were good but their list set up was horrendous. I think they desperately need to poach a new GM of footy ops from one of the strong clubs to sort the place out.

I think you've hit the nail right on the head here, he's had way to much influence and not for the better.

• Like 1

Colin:

We are getting to the end of a mining boom (which the AFL should have seen coming). We are also going to pull a buttload of money out of the economy with the upcoming federal budget (which the AFL didn't see coming). Neither of this bodes well for a football team based in a less economically affluent area with even less interest in the AFL..

You are correct, the AFL didn't see the end of the mining boom.

But for the AFL it would be a no brainer, there is no 'accountability' if GWS fails, because the AFL would just say "How could we foresee economical changes?"

Personally I think it was more a case of the AFL getting a touch greedy, wanting to shut down NRL while they were vulnerable, seen the opportunity.

Personally I think it will prove to be a big mistake by the AFL - to grow the game in GWS instead of Tasmania.

With the globe clearly heating up - which has been evident for a while now - cooler climates will be the future, agriculture in Tasmania will prove VERY profitable for the nation.

Once the mining boom comes to a stand still and an agricultural free trade agreement with China goes through - much like the recent Japan deal - then it will open up the flood gates.

I like speaking politics in football, but when it comes to GWS VS Tasmania, it is relevant.

Edited by KingDingAling
  • Like 1

Colin:

We are getting to the end of a mining boom (which the AFL should have seen coming). We are also going to pull a buttload of money out of the economy with the upcoming federal budget (which the AFL didn't see coming). Neither of this bodes well for a football team based in a less economically affluent area with even less interest in the AFL..

You are correct, the AFL didn't see the end of the mining boom.

But for the AFL it would be a no brainer, there is no 'accountability' if GWS fails, because the AFL would just say "How could we foresee economical changes?"

Personally I think it was more a case of the AFL getting a touch greedy, wanting to shut down NRL while they were vulnerable, seen the opportunity.

Personally I think it will prove to be a big mistake by the AFL - to grow the game in GWS instead of Tasmania.

With the globe clearly heating up - which has been evident for a while now - cooler climates will be the future, agriculture in Tasmania will prove VERY profitable for the nation.

Once the mining boom comes to a stand still and an agricultural free trade agreement with China goes through - much like the recent Japan deal - then it will open up the flood gates.

I like speaking politics in football, but when it comes to GWS VS Tasmania, it is relevant.

I think its soccer that the AFL were concerned about. the potential growth of all codes in Western Sydney. but mostly soccer. & the AFL needed 2 teams in each city, to create inner-city rivalries.

I think they just want to be in the marketplace there to start with, & will slowly learn & grow. mistake are inevitable.

Scully would be a good footy player if he were still with us IMO. The pressure of the biggest contract in AFL history (at the time) has completely ruined him. Look what happened to Mitch Clark when he couldn't deliver on his massive contract. The demons (pardon the pun) start creeping in.

Sure he is going to have a comfortable life, but he's really going to be remembered for all the wrong reasons. You have to be an Ablett or a Franklin to be in that pay bracket. He's not fit to carry their bags.

I don't think Mitch Clark's mental health problems would have had much if anything to do with his large contract. Depression runs a lot deeper than what's on the surface. Scully's problem lies with a distinct lack of skill and strength.

I've never understood the reason behind bringing in another AFL team in a place where footy is pretty much irrelevant, fair enough for Gold Coast, they actually seem to be enjoying it up there. GWS should've went to Tassie, at least there'd be somewhat of a following there, not unlike GWS in woop woop.

• Like 1

Gives me great joy to see them suffer and continue to be as irrelevant as they were on day one.

May failure follow Scully until his last days in the game.

he must be feeling blue?

... well let us hope MM recruits MrMoney Bag$ to replace Judda$ then. maybe a swap?

the best thing the Giants could do would be to chop moneybag$ & send him south for the Winters, culturally speaking !!!

I've never understood the reason behind bringing in another AFL team in a place where footy is pretty much irrelevant, fair enough for Gold Coast, they actually seem to be enjoying it up there. GWS should've went to Tassie, at least there'd be somewhat of a following there, not unlike GWS in woop woop.

its as simple as setting up a business franchise in a new growth region, to win part of the growth. instead of losing the growth to others.

I doubt that there'd be any other $1m player in the comp that the opposition wouldn't even bother to tag.

He does the tagging.

Presumably because he can run and Cameron doesn't want him getting to much pill. He's damaging with the ball - but not damaging to the opposition!

I think its soccer that the AFL were concerned about. the potential growth of all codes in Western Sydney. but mostly soccer. & the AFL needed 2 teams in each city, to create inner-city rivalries.

I think they just want to be in the marketplace there to start with, & will slowly learn & grow. mistake are inevitable.

The biggest mistake they made is not controlling the club from the start. They put way too much faith in Gubby Allen and he had a different agenda. He sold snake oil to the AFL and they took it by the gallon. They sacked the CEO and put in their own man when things were going backwards but they only did half the job.

If they wanted a presence then they needed it to be a good solid one, the recruiting strategy was aiming to win a flag early and it was wrong. They needed to bring in quality AFL level players and they didn't do it.

The coaching appointments have also been a disaster to date. GC have gone about things with a solid strategy with Clayton from day 1 and you can't undersell the benefits they got from playing a year of VFL footy before coming into the competition. Also McKenna, even though he has had some tough times, is a really solid appointment. They also had Hinkley up there early in the piece.

GWS have had 2 nut cases followed by a guy who thought he would get an armchair ride to the flag. The coaching appointment of Cameron was too smart by half.

• Like 2

Gives me great joy to see them suffer and continue to be as irrelevant as they were on day one.

May failure follow Scully until his last days in the game.

Wonderful post Jaded. And we can only hope the entire club becomes but a tragic footnote in footy history.

Gold Coast have O'Meara, Swallow, Bennell, Prestia.

All would be the best young player for any other team.

Then you have Jack Martin, Jesse Lonergan, Kade Kolajashni who are all highly rated learning from GAJ.

GAJ has been a bargain at $2m or whatever he is on.

GWS have the same amount of talented players.

Coniligio, Treloar, Sheil, Whitfield, Josh Kelly but no guidance.

Serves GWS right. They tried to rig those mini drafts.

Those mini-drafts were for them to get senior players but they went after more picks and hoped the kids would grow up together and be a super power.

Melbourne learnt the hard way. Hope GWS suffer the same fate.

• Like 3

Can't see Treloar staying beyond this season without looking for a trade to a victorian club IMO. Hope we throw everything at him or O'Rourke.

The floggings that GWS are currently copping are not good for the competition, of that there is no doubt.

On the other hand they do help us retain Chip and for that reason I'm reasonably comfortable with the results.

Let's face it, who in their right mind would want to settle in Rugby League heartland playing for a non contender, regardless of the financial return ($cully aside of course).