Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

End of year delistings

bandicoot

You can't get rid of Fitzy and Spencer, look what happened at the start of the year. We wouldn't have any ruckmen on the park.

Blease could be used as trade bait to get Shiels or Tomlinson from GWS... He would be happy to join his ol mate. T$S$

Nicholson has to go, just not up to it.

Tappy ditto

Strauss ditto

Byrnes Go........ Please.

A few weeks ago I would have said WATTS.

I'd say he had a cannon up his arse and the penny has dropped.

Barry needs more time. Evans I'd give one more year under Roos.

• Like 1

At this stage I reckon that is about right.

But there is still along way to go in 2014 and expect 1 or 2 of those names to improve and catch our eye again.

Personally I think Tapscott, Byrnes and Nicholson are locks to be delisted.

True, there is still plenty of time to change their fortunes.

But at this early stage, and considering the club (Roos) will be doing a review, this is where I think it stands.

Forgot Clisby.

I'm not as sold on him as some. Shaky ground for mine.

His lack of games might indicate the coaches think likewise.

You can't get rid of Fitzy and Spencer, look what happened at the start of the year. We wouldn't have any ruckmen on the park.

Blease could be used as trade bait to get Shiels or Tomlinson from GWS... He would be happy to join his ol mate. T$S$

Nicholson has to go, just not up to it.

Tappy ditto

Strauss ditto

Byrnes Go........ Please.

A few weeks ago I would have said WATTS.

I'd say he had a cannon up his arse and the penny has dropped.

Barry needs more time. Evans I'd give one more year under Roos.

Isn't that a prime example of why we shouldn't conclusively put a line through anyone's name?

And if you need more proof, look at where Pedersen was last year, round 1, or even before last round.

Week by week his stature is growing.

• Like 2

Really want to see Strauss and Evans prove themselves, I think they have untapped potential but they need to show it.

agree, but just concerned as an Evans fan, that he looked slow across the ground in recent afl games & needs to be a one touch player, especially as a small.

crossing fingers he can find something.

Might be a little premature to have this conversation just yet. A few weeks ago, we would have had Bail and Pederson out the door with Dunn right on the cusp, but I think they're all looking pretty safe right now. I'd love to see all the names listed above get some game time in the seniors (Casey form warranting, of course) to see what they can do under Roos before drawing a line through them. It would be great if we got to the end of the year with a lot of difficult decisions to make.

Dunn at the start of the year was a 50/50 after a solid showing last season.

its mid season review time, scorecards?

its just a game.

Nicholson is gone.

Byrnes also.

Clark retired.

I don't expect Blease to stay.

Tapscott has run out of time.

Strauss borderline, but his kicking may keep him in for 1 more go around.

Evans on thin ice.

Agree Barry should be delisted and rookied.

Fitzpatrick to stay.

Spencer to stay.

McKenzie to stay.

Jetta should get an upgrade if he can maintain his form in the backline - this would make it hard to keep Strauss.

Georgiou to stay a rookie.

King stays as rookie.

Harmes potential upgrade.

We should end up with approx 5-6 spots on the list to fill through the draft and trades.

Another young KPP, a couple of tall mids, maybe a ruckman and some blistering pace.

nice work Machsy.

Delisted

Strauss

Nicholson

Blease

Tapscott

Spencer

Byrnes

Fitzpatrick

Evans and Barry delisted and 're rookied

Jetta and georgiou upgraded

I am surprised that nobody has mentioned Jamar at 31 years of age? Certainly he is playing well at the moment but how much longer have we got? Personally i would keep Fitzpatrick taking a long range view!

• Like 1

I am surprised that nobody has mentioned Jamar at 31 years of age? Certainly he is playing well at the moment but how much longer have we got? Personally i would keep Fitzpatrick taking a long range view!

he has another year to run on his current contract.

• Like 1

Evans was once a rookie. Can he be a rookie again?

Yep, but we have to delist him and re draft him in the rookie draft (aka Jetta), but if another club likes him can pick him up as a delisted free agent (i think - aka Riley to us) or pick him ahead of us in the draft (whichever one).

• Like 1

Some of those mentioned might pull a rabbit out of the hat over next 6-7 weeks.

Bit early to be on to this isn't it?

• Like 1

Some of those mentioned might pull a rabbit out of the hat over next 6-7 weeks.

Bit early to be on to this isn't it?

It's never too early. I enjoy seeing how people's opinion - including my own - evolve over the year.

• Like 3

I don't see why any of our rookies would be upgraded when they dont need to be (e.g. Clisby last year). Keep them there and that free's up more spots on the actual list etc.

Only real certanties are:

Clark

Byrnes

Nicholson

My guess is that we will want 5'ish spots on the list so two more to be traded/delisted.

One obvious reason for promoting a rookie before you are forced to is so you can select them in the side. Clisby is a good case in point, he's a player in his mid 20s who is ready and capable of playing AFL football. If we'd kept him on the rookie list, a player like Harmes or King may have ended up on our senior list instead, when they're not ready to play yet.

• Like 3

I think people are pretty much spot on in the above. We have a raft of players treading water at Casey who really aren't pushing hard for a senior spot right now. All of them have to consider themselves in the firing line. It's really going to depend on which of them can get their act together and start putting pressure on the senior group. At the moment Blease seems to be doing that, and Jordie is racking up the disposals when he's allowed to hunt the ball instead of tagging someone, but he still needs to be better with his use. None of the others are really showing much that would get them retained.

If Blease is out of contract, I expect him to opt out and go to Richmond as a delisted FA.
Just a hunch.

He doesn't have that option. We can choose not to offer him a contract, but if he decides to leave when we have made him an offer it's off to the draft.

Clark - retired

Byrnes - delisted/retired

Nicholson - delist

Strauss - delist

Blease - delist/trade

Tapscott - delist/trade

People have mentioned Evans, however I thought he had another year on his contract?

This would give us three picks in the national draft, another two to upgrade Jetta & Georgiou and 1 Free Agent Pick up (Rosa please!) Would then also give us two rookie selections, one of which to be used on Barry.

Edit: Removed Barry

Edited by Tall Defence

It's never too early. I enjoy seeing how people's opinion - including my own - evolve over the year.

exactly, this is what talking MFC is all about, surely.

Last year Melbourne delisted 8 senior players (3 retired) and 3 rookies.

Are we likely to delist the same number this year and if so who will they be?

The players in the firing line are:

Strauss

Barry

Bleese

Byrnes

Clark - retired

not de-listing this lot following, but need to sign them or find out their intentions, mid season IMO...

Urgent Mid-season Contracts needed - 2014

2015 - Garland (RFA), Howe, NJones (RFA), Viney, Hogan

2014 - Frawley (RFA), TMcDonald, Dunn, Kent,

exactly, this is what talking MFC is all about, surely.

not de-listing this lot following, but need to sign them or find out their intentions, mid season IMO...

Urgent Mid-season Contracts needed - 2014

2015 - Garland (RFA), Howe, NJones (RFA), Viney, Hogan

2014 - Frawley (RFA), TMcDonald, Dunn, Kent,

McDonald's not out of contract is he?

Blease- Trade (And I love Blease)

Byrnes- Retire and become a development coach

Nicholson- Delist

Strauss- 50/50, if he gets a chance in the second half of the season and produces obviously stays, but at the moment he's gone

McKenzie- Delisted and re-rookied

Evans- Stay

Barry- Delisted and re-rookied

Tapscott- Delisted

Jetta- Upgraded

Georgiou- Upgraded

I'd pretty much written Jamar off but now have to eat my words

He doesn't rely on his pace - he has none. He doesn't rely on his leap - he has none.

He relies on his strength, skill and experience. On that basis, if he can stay healthy he may well be good for a few more years yet

Definites

Clark - retired

Byrnes - retired/delisted

Nicholson

Maybe's

Strauss

Blease

Tapscott

Barry - performance is average but potential is there so a tough one

Could be traded/delisted

Fitzpatrick
Evans

McKenzie

Alot depends on list numbers, trades and the strength of the draft etc. Right now we have 40 and 4 rookies. That can go to 38 and 6. So we can keep Georgiou and Jetta as rookies and go to 38 list spots. It's actually better to use 2 picks in the rookie draft over 2 picks 80+ in the draft some times as you are very likely to get the player you want but you get them cheaper and on flexible deals. Georgiou stays as a rookie I would think. He's been good but hasn't yet shown he's best 22 calibre. Jetta gets to state his case for the rest of the year.

If we find more players out there to bring over in cheap trades or signing delisted players (ie Michie and Riley) then we cut deeper. If we keep Frawley and Dunn and anyone else out of contract who is a required player then that impacts things as well.

• Like 1