The Jack Viney bump that never was!

Matt Demon

"Not at any stage was I trying to bump - I was purely trying to brace myself for impact," he told the Tribunal.

"It happened in a very short space of time. There was about half a second where the ball could have bounced either way."

AFL legal counsel Jeff Gleeson proposed Viney could have "spun out" of the impending collision, rather than bracing for contact.

Viney said there "was not a lot of time to think about complex manoeuvres like spinning".

Is this guy serious? Viney would probably have a broken neck if he had 'spun out' or we would be accused of tanking

I am guessing this guy has never played football.

Edited by Young Dee

MELBOURNE midfielder Jack Viney has been found guilty of rough conduct by the AFL Tribunal and is suspended for two matches.

Viney was sent straight to the Tribunal after his bump on Tom Lynch broke the Adelaide forward's jaw.
Many believed Viney should be cleared and the verdict has sparked immediate outrage.
Former Hawthorn great Dermott Brereton said on radio - moments following the verdict - he would not attend the AFL's Hall of Fame dinner in protest.
I love the support of the AFL community

I used to hate Dermie but he talks as it is here! This decision is an absolute joke! I watch my kids play basketball on the weekends, I don't like basketball but I watch because they play. Therefore since the AFL is determined to groom the game this path I will not attend any more games. A disgrace and all at the AFL should hang there heads in shame! The game is dead!

I just cannot understand why he did not choose to destroy one of his knees by "spinning"out of this contest.

The AFL is a disgrace and Jeff Gleeson should be made to front the next MFC agm and explain himself.

It's always us and it's always effin Adelaide. Remember the scam they put up over Trengove and yet the supposedly concussed phoney played and kicked a bag of goals the next week.

This game is finished. Let's just play netball and be done with it.

• Like 1

BT just standing up for us on 3AW, says it is an absolute joke. Healy disagreeing with him.
Dwayne Russel saying we are "sooking it up" as Roosy has canceled his interview with them. Healy (surprisingly) saying it is most likely because he is going straight to appeal, Russel is calling the MFC "sooks" as a reply to Healy.

Edited by The Song Formerly Known As

BT just standing up for us on 3AW, says it is an absolute joke. Healy disagreeing with him.

Dwayne Russel saying we are "sooking it up" as Roosy has canceled his interview with them. Healy (surprisingly) saying it is most likely because he is going straight to appeal, Russel is calling the MFC "sooks" as a reply to Healy.

Dwayne still dealing with Saturday night's result.

Dwayne hates Melbourne so much. It would have killed him to see us beat the Crows.

These guys are a joke. Until we decide about an appeal, Roos can say nothing much. Calling people sooks - did these guys ever get out of primary school.

What will he learn 'jumbo', to get out of the way of a contest? to have no faith in the AFL system?

D'Land is in meltdown.

The boy is still with us. It's two weeks....not a lifetime.

There's a player with a wired up jaw tonight.

The head is sacrosanct.

I think Judas at least recognises that calling Roosy a sook might not be a smart play, Dumbo on the otherhand..........................

Why don't the mrp just have a standard practice that prior to the hearing say to the player

"look we are going to find u guilty and u can be suspended for x number of wks" cause that's basically what they have done anyway.

Those on the panel should be ashamed of themselves.

Weak as pizz can't believe they are past players on the panel.

D'Land is in meltdown.

The head is sacrosanct.

I think it's more about the precedent that this decision has set.

D'Land is in meltdown.

The head is sacrosanct.

I would rather suggest that justice be sacrosanct but each to their own.

I used to hate Dermie but he talks as it is here! This decision is an absolute joke! I watch my kids play basketball on the weekends, I don't like basketball but I watch because they play. Therefore since the AFL is determined to groom the game this path I will not attend any more games. A disgrace and all at the AFL should hang there heads in shame! The game is dead!

I usually find myself agreeing with Dermott Brereton. It's just that he usually sounds like a [censored] when he speaks.

• Like 2

D'Land is in meltdown.

The head is sacrosanct.

So Viney had to pull out of the contest?

Squwib the contest?

Nathan Schmook:
Melbourne football manager Josh Mahoney just addressed the media and they will be looking into appeal options tonight.

good... I like the NEW Melbourne

can not...utterly can no t let this lay as is. It's reprehensible

D'Land is in meltdown.

The head is sacrosanct.

Sure the head is sacrosanct. The question is, does any injury to the head however 'innocently' caused lead to a suspension. The answer looks increasingly like 'yes'.

Yep it's 'only' 2 weeks. Will be interesting how things go in future games - or will we see another sling-tackle fest.

Edited by sue
  • Like 2

I'm not paranoid, but, they have it in for Melbourne. Everyone and his dog said he's innocent, and they come up with this ridiculous verdict.

As Joseph Heller wrote " just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you"