• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

WATTS, SHORT CIRCUITING OR NOT?

picket fence

Before I start I gotta say I have been a long time supporter of Jack Watts since he came to our club as No 1 Draft pick. I have met Jack and he is an extremely well mannered and very affable young person. He comes from a very good family background and he is a considered, ethical young man with high moral standards. So what you might say? And to those that do not care if a player is a good person or not just as long as they can play footy, well there are a lot of players who can play but are seriously flawed human beings. So be it!

I hope Jack Watts is able to find some form and play good footy for the MFC.

Edited by picket fence
  • Like 7

Before I start I gotta say I have been a long time supporter of Jack Watts since he came to our club as No 1 Draft pick. I have met Jack and he is an extremely well mannered and very affable young person. He comes from a very good family background and he is a considered, ethical young man with high moral standards. So what you might say? And to those that do not care if a player is a good person or not just as long as they can play footy, well there are a lot of players who can play but are seriously flawed human beings. So be it!

After yesterdays performance many on this site and that of Demonology have seriously questioned aspects of Jack Watts and his approach to footy. Questions regarding his body language, volition to go hard when his turn, chase hard tackle etc were and still are relevant questions given what we saw from Jack yesterday.

His possession count for the game 11 possessions at 82% efficiency are modest by any standards. The one redeeming aspect of Jack Watts play always has been his efficiency when he gets the ball. He rarely makes a mistake which his decision making and is a deadly kick for goal.

The problem throughout his career is what appears to be an extremely laconic and some have said disinterest/ blasé in getting involved in the cut and thrust of hard tough footy. Some on this site have called him "Soft"

There is no doubt in my mind that he does have much more time at his disposal to react to the oncoming play and he has this "Magical" ability as all the great players do to have time to choose the correct option. This is his hallmark! It is a skill not taught but inbred as part of his makeup.

This is the one thing that sets him apart from any other player at Melbourne, Time, efficiency, and skills. We have a dearth of this player at Melbourne.

What did Paul Ross make of his effort and intensity yesterday?? Well the answer I would think will be revealed at selection this week. If Paul Roos believes for one moment Jack Watts efforts yesterday were wanting then in keeping with his Non negotiable Mantra he would most certainly be in danger of the axe. But If IF he really believes Jack Watts is that tyoe of laconic type player who is a rare gem because of what he does when he gets the ball then Polish away Roosy.

In my opinion I just hope that he is just that.. a laconic but ultimately super talented player. If anyone can make Jack Watts it is Jack Watts with a liberal helping of Paul Roos coaching nous. But tick toc after 6 years we need to see more!

I don't think PR will drop him.

He's become a real project for Roos, as has the entire club.

I hope he gets to the core and unlocks the full potential of this prodigious talent.

• Like 1

If Jimmy Toumpas gets dropped to go and work on things when he was averaging this so far this season:

17.5 disposals
6.5 marks
1.0 goals
2.0 tackles

Then SURELY Jack Watts needs to be dropped to go and work on things when Wattsy is averaging this so far this season:

17.6 disposals
4.6 marks
0.8 goals
2.6 tackles

Edited by The Song Formerly Known As
  • Like 7

If Jimmy Toumpas gets dropped to go on work on things when he was averaging this so far this season:

17.5 disposals

6.5 marks

1.0 goals

2.0 tackles

Then SURELY Jack Watts needs to be dropped to go and work on things when Wattsy is averaging this so far this season:

17.6 disposals

4.6 marks

0.8 goals

2.6 tackles

Yeah, Jack needs to stand up, no doubt about that.

I rate Watts. He has class.

What I don't rate is some of the relentless and inane criticism of him from certain of the keyboard warriors here.

I agree to an extent, br we should expect more from him.

At the same time, he's had a bad game, and isn't in the best form.

I'm not prepared to lynch him just yet.

I wouldn't mind dropping him for a bit purely to work on contested footy and tackling.

But I don't think he needs to be dropped for that.

What I don't rate is some of the relentless and inane criticism of him from certain of the keyboard warriors here.

I usually agree with a lot you say Ron, but in this case I feel you are clearly misguided. I understand you live away from Melbourne, you wouldn't have seen first hand his approach yesterday. The level of criticism his way is definitely warranted in this case. He was as poor yesterday in approach as I've ever seen of anyone.

• Like 3

Forget Jack Watts' history, his name, his jumper the colour of his hair and the number that his name was called and evaluate his performance yesterday.

Edited by jabberwocky
  • Like 2

I have not seen any of yesterday's match as I only flew in this morning from the Middle East. By all accounts it was not Jack's day however i did watch round one when he was BOG and I would be loathe to drop him because when he is good he is very, very good and when he is bad he still is effective in his use of the ball. On the same criteria, i would like to see Toumpas get more of a run as I think that they are both in our top 22 overall.

And you know what Ron...all that criticism would evaporate the minute he ( JW) plays with any real conviction and mongrel.

until then a lot of us will be seriously pizzed off with this fella for he has all the attributes but one, the ability to actually use what he has

Id say no one has any real ill feeling for the lad, just wish he live up to his ability.

He could be anything...he really could.

Ironic in a sense...a fella who's name personifies energy is more about potential than kinetic.

Maybe hes just too "nice' for this level of footy.

• Like 2

yup. treat him as any other player. The problem is WE HAVEN'T been since he came to the club.

Cam Pederson got CRUCIFIED for squibbing a mark in his first game. He's since proved his bravery numerous times. Surely Jack Watts deserves to be criticised for his perennially insufficient efforts, regardless of his draft pick.

Edited by Chook
  • Like 1

Cam Pederson got CRUCIFIED for squibbing a mark in his first game. He's since proved his bravery numerous times. Surely Jack Watts deserves to be criticised for his perennially insufficient efforts, regardless of his draft pick.

absolutely. I'm referring to us giving him so many chances, or [censored] footing around him as he is the number 1 draft pick.

Treat him as another player, if he doesn't doing what he is asked drop him. Not keeping him in because of his "potential".

I just posted this on post match discussion, but realize it should be here.

I've loved and always defended Jack Watts talents, but:

I don't know, but is Jack still living with his parents? Does anyone remember the interview with Jacks mum just after he was drafted? Please correct if I'm wrong but I recall her saying things like, "Don't worry, Jack's got his head screwed on correctly, he knows it's only a game of football," she said depreciatingly. She seemed as lovely a mum as anyone could possibly have, but her attitude towards the game seemed appropriate for someone playing school footy, who's going on to a serious career later (she'd mean non-football career as nothing football would be serious enough to risk injury over). I've meet plenty of Brighton Grammar type mothers like that (I was at Scotch) and can imagine her saying, "Now don't you get hurt out there Jack, it's not worth it," and Jack, being a good boy would agree.

Jack needs to share a HOME with some intelligent but tough footballers. Preferably lighter weight like himself. He should move in to the VINEY household for awhile!! ..have their URGENCY rub off on him, learn more about navigating physically tough scenarios while avoiding injury yet pressuring/intimidating the opposition. Also to learn that this IS his serious job, can pay well and lead to post playing jobs also.

• Like 1

Talent only gets you so far at this level. Watts has to go back to Casey until he proves he has the desire to attack the contest and not just be rag dolled. One match won't cut it either he has to go back for at least 3 or 4 weeks and then be evaluated; if it takes longer than that for him to learn the non-negotiables so be it but you can't build a good culture without setting standards for every single player, not just those who weren't number 1 picks.

Have never criticised him before, thought he was probably best against the saints but too often it is though he has no impact on the contest doesn't force any issue and is totally reactionary

• Like 1

Put Jack on the wing. Let him run, run, run. Let him be the link man who delivers inside 50. More Robbie Flower than Brian Wilson.

Whilst the rest of the team don't know what a tackle looks like (apologies to a very few) or how to go hard, you all isolate Jack for scrutiny.

He did some smart things yesterday, and some apparently soft things. I wouldn't drop him, I would pop him on the wing and teach him to own it.

• Like 3

Have never criticised him before, thought he was probably best against the saints but too often it is though he has no impact on the contest doesn't force any issue and is totally reactionary

This is the thing...he just doesnt crunch other players...they fling him off, brush him aside....almost contemptuously.

Half the thing about tackling, whether the pc here care to acknowledge it is its a chance to legitimately HURT the other side. You crash opposition into the ground, you punnish them for taking too long etc. Its PHYSICAL and if you dont want to play this then dont go out there.

JAck Watts IS bruise free footy...hate to say it

• Like 4

Ree, 'C', Ver...

this is all he's learnt thus far at Melbourne.... & all he's learning atmo.

...as long as he gets away with letting the likes of Nate Jones do the work, then Watts will end up on the end of a HandOut. lets stop the Rot before its too late.

time to go back to where he should have started, for at least 20 games before his first AFL game came along. Make him earn it the hard way, & then he might think more of the Jumper. & the AFL.

from the Mfc website: http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/2014-04-21/dawes-scathing-about-loss-to-suns

A shattered Dawes said it was a “really disappointing” result, as he believed his side should’ve made it two from two on the back of its 23-point win against Carlton at the MCG in round four.

“I felt we should’ve won that, but that’s what happens when for too long a period throughout the game, we go through these patches where we didn’t put enough pressure on,” he told Dee TV.

# holes in our intensity, let the opposition OFF, & let down the hard work put in by fellow Dees to that point of the game, & season.

Edited by dee-luded

I usually agree with a lot you say Ron, but in this case I feel you are clearly misguided. I understand you live away from Melbourne, you wouldn't have seen first hand his approach yesterday. The level of criticism his way is definitely warranted in this case. He was as poor yesterday in approach as I've ever seen of anyone.

That's the thing isn't it, it's not so much the stats - it's the way he approaches the game.

His lack of hunger in his leading and his chasing. Other guys around him have to work twice as hard.

In Sunday's game, he constantly set himself up in useless positions about 30 metres in front of our player with the ball, refusing to be a viable option for an inevitable long kick up the line.

I just pray he has some kind of amazing epiphany in the near future and turns this approach around.

• Like 2