Changes for Round 6 vs Sydney

titan_uranus

Its pretty funny really. Half the site is demanding our most skilled player be dropped because he has no heart. The other half are calling for the heads of the guys that are all heart but make errors. We struggled to contain GC's midfield because like West Coast they have the one thing we don't have which is speed of ball movement. This makes me less concerned against Sydney. I doubt Garlo has enough match fitness yet to play.

In Kent, Salem, Strauss

Out Evans, McKenzie, Terlich

NB: Watts to be put on notice.

• Like 3

so much un afl footballers in the dee side. Fancy spencer wants to be another mummy, only can happen if he plays for a serious footy side,cannot be achieved at demonland.

one or two of our ruck stocks must go,we have JAMAR,SPENCER,GAWN and KING with the possibility of FITZY. As I have said in the past we should have gone for CRIPPS or BILLINGS or at least SHEEDS. Salem my be good sooner or later

, I think he had some sort of virus ( not deemonitis) recently which affected his football preparation. WATTS is too soft for afl footy best we trade,you cannot train courage.

N.JONES should get stuck into his fellow players for a bad performance,perhaps he should insist he and team mates suffer some sort of penalty,like a 10 klm run followed by a swim at st.kilda beach on monday morning.

CHANGES TO TEAM FOR ROUND 6 ……….. Replace rubbish in the seniors with rubbish in the reserves will not make any difference,on paper we should get smashed 80-100 pts. we were a 2-20 side last this year,this year we will be a 1-22

team this year.

Thanks for your sane and incisive comments EN. Be assured, I shall give them the consideration they deserve.

• Like 4

so much un afl footballers in the dee side. Fancy spencer wants to be another mummy, only can happen if he plays for a serious footy side,cannot be achieved at demonland.

one or two of our ruck stocks must go,we have JAMAR,SPENCER,GAWN and KING with the possibility of FITZY. As I have said in the past we should have gone for CRIPPS or BILLINGS or at least SHEEDS. Salem my be good sooner or later

, I think he had some sort of virus ( not deemonitis) recently which affected his football preparation. WATTS is too soft for afl footy best we trade,you cannot train courage.

N.JONES should get stuck into his fellow players for a bad performance,perhaps he should insist he and team mates suffer some sort of penalty,like a 10 klm run followed by a swim at st.kilda beach on monday morning.

CHANGES TO TEAM FOR ROUND 6 ……….. Replace rubbish in the seniors with rubbish in the reserves will not make any difference,on paper we should get smashed 80-100 pts. we were a 2-20 side last this year,this year we will be a 1-22

team this year.

It couldn't possibly have been deemonitis.....

Out: Mckenzie, Watts, Jetta, Evans, Spencer, Terlich.

In: Kent, Salem, Garland, Strauss/Clisby, Jamar, Garland.

Like for like.

Time to lift standards, make a stand and stop accepting mediocrity with effort and disposal.

A good way to do that would be to not drop 6 players after the fight out a game pretty well and lose by 8 instead of the usual 80 from last year

• Like 1

FB: Jetta Garland Dunn

HB: Clisby McDonald Grimes

C: Evans Cross Vince

HF: Bail Dawes Howe

FF: JKH Frawley Pedersen

Foll: Jamar Tyson N. Jones

Int: M. Jones, Viney, Kent/Salem

S: Watts

Out: Spencer (believe he is inj), Terlich, Georgiou, McKenzie

In: Jamar, Clisby, Garland, Kent (if fit) otherwise Salem

Don't want to drop Spencer, would rather drop Pedo but I believe Spence is struggling. Terlich for Clisby. Georgiou has been decent but time to switch. McKenzie for Kent if fit, if not Salem. Time to try Evans or Tyson tagging or no tagger. Watts for 1 last chance as a sub. If you can't give us a full game of hardness give us 30 minutes of non stop effort. Not great with 4 changes but think they are needed.

• Like 2

And people want Spencil dropped and to be replaced by Jamar. You have to be joking ?

I think they are both lacking in any particular weapon that would worry the opposition. Spencil can tackle a little in close and competes better in congestion IMO. Jamar a slightly better mark or at least brings the ball to ground a little more often by getting to a few more contests. Jamar can occasionally push forward and clunk a mark i50 and kick the odd goal once in a few matches. Spencil never does this.

A marginal call but both are lumbering. Spencil can get a short pass off fairly accurately. I wouldn't bet on Jamar doing that.

So what do you do?

I say we're going nowhere with either.

Get Gawn in once fit, develop Max King to see what he might have in the locker. Meanwhile keep looking elsewhere for a decent ruckman who has a weapon or 2 that will worry the opposition and can assist in a few extra goals our way.

Edited by Rusty Nails

FB: Jetta Garland Dunn

HB: Clisby McDonald Grimes

C: Evans Cross Vince

HF: Bail Dawes Howe

FF: JKH Frawley Pedersen

Foll: Jamar Tyson N. Jones

Int: M. Jones, Viney, Kent/Salem

S: Watts

Out: Spencer (believe he is inj), Terlich, Georgiou, McKenzie

In: Jamar, Clisby, Garland, Kent (if fit) otherwise Salem

Don't want to drop Spencer, would rather drop Pedo but I believe Spence is struggling. Terlich for Clisby. Georgiou has been decent but time to switch. McKenzie for Kent if fit, if not Salem. Time to try Evans or Tyson tagging or no tagger. Watts for 1 last chance as a sub. If you can't give us a full game of hardness give us 30 minutes of non stop effort. Not great with 4 changes but think they are needed.

I agree 100%. Especially Watts as sub. It sends a message.

Well mate, you have lower standards than me. This is exactly what I'm talking about, time for expectations to be met otherwise we are a VFL standard team.

No I have realistic understandings about how to turn a bad football team in to a good one. They are based on playing local footy and watching a lot of footy and listening to coaches and players speak.

I've actually got 4 changes the same as you. 5 if you count Watts back to the sub instead of dropped. You've only listed 5 ins, you have Garland twice.

The only real difference is that I want another good week of VFL from Strauss and another good week from Salem because 1 good VFL game isn't enough to really prove you are ready. The two I haven't dropped are Jetta who's only had 1 shot and Evans who's had 1 full go and 2 weeks as the sub. Both are consistently good at VFL and I think they need at least one more week. Getting games in to the future kids like Salem and Kent is great but it's still best done when they are in solid form. Shuffling the likes of Clisby, Evans, Strauss and Jetta back and forward doesn't do a lot for the team.

• Like 1

I reckon it will be a long night at selection table.

The Watts issue - dropping him is a really big statement and an admission that PR's midfield plan for him hasn't worked. The press will be all over it.

One thing that bugs me is why are Melbourne the only side running about 100 rotations, when all the other use their full quota. Watts has speed and is one player who needs to be benched regularly - watching him just jogging around when others attack footy gives me and everyone the sh... but he might have more chance of running hard if he didn't play 88% game time.

Sorry I have digressed. Watts stays another week IMO. But I'm sure he will be given a rev up by Roosy this week because it's his old side.

The Salem inclusion - this is big because we have rushed kids in before their time in the past. But Christian has now played quite a few games (including intraclub practice matches) and has been building nicely. He was clearly BOG by all reports, so it's hardly rushing someone in. He's in IMO.

The ruck issue - the Swans play two ruckmen at moment - Pyke and Derickx, although if Tippett comes back they may dispense with Derick. But either way, Jamar's ability to win taps and the fact that Pedersen is too short as back up means the Russian is IN. Clouding this issue is that if Spencer is injured, then Roos has to decide if the Russian can go for 80 percent game time like Spencer and retain Pedo as swingman.

The Terlich issue - his kicking is starting to become a factor and Strauss is back fit and firing. Is the swap down back made now or do we wait another week.

The Jetta issue - He was given the defensive spot ahead of Clisby and Strauss and once again, as in just about everyone of his 40 plus AFL games, his lacks of speed means he can't get the ball. Does he get another chance to show us he can't run as fast as his Sydney relation?

The Garland recall - This to me is the only easy one - you don't leave a quality experienced defender out. The only issue is whether he goes straight to Buddy or whether Tom Mc does.

There's also plenty more to discuss with Jordie and Tyson having off games, but I don't think you get rid of big-bodied midfielders when you are up against the Swans. They stay IMO. Jordie goes to Kennedy, who is back in 2012 form and it's a good match-up for size.

The final issue I'll throw out there is who plays on Jetta, given he's back in form. Does Watts go to him (he has the speed) or do we bring in our fastest running player - Blease - to try and match him?

Anyway I am sure none of us will get close to what they will do this week.

The only thing I am confident of is that Frawley will start forward with Howey and Dawes and we will at least have someone to kick it too again.

Out: Mckenzie, Watts, Jetta, Evans, Spencer, Terlich.

In: Kent, Salem, Garland, Strauss/Clisby, Jamar, Garland.

Like for like.

Time to lift standards, make a stand and stop accepting mediocrity with effort and disposal.

Two Garlands would certainly help!

• Like 1

The Jetta issue - He was given the defensive spot ahead of Clisby and Strauss and once again, as in just about everyone of his 40 plus AFL games, his lacks of speed means he can't get the ball. Does he get another chance to show us he can't run as fast as his Sydney relation?

The final issue I'll throw out there is who plays on Jetta, given he's back in form. Does Watts go to him (he has the speed) or do we bring in our fastest running player - Blease - to try and match him?

Anyway I am sure none of us will get close to what they will do this week.

The only thing I am confident of is that Frawley will start forward with Howey and Dawes and we will at least have someone to kick it too again.

Time for Jetta on Jetta. Nev isn't fast but he isn't slow either. Nev Jetta doesn't get the ball due to lack of speed. He doesn't get it due to lack of work rate/initiative. He simply is happy to stand back and watch the game go bye. It's why he's near useless as a forward. Most of his best games at VFL level are still 20 possession jobs, not the 30 plus Toumpas and Clisby find from half back at times or

Lewis Jetta is mainly forward/wing. When he's on a wing I think we just play our wingman on him and if he bursts from there so be it. When he's forward I would seriously consider Neville Jetta on him. Grimes will likely be on someone with more height. Terlich if he stays or Clisby/Strauss should be used as the more attacking options and get the lesser forwards. Jetta on Jetta. At least at the end of the day we can say Jetta played well, it just might not be our one!

out: Mckenzie - one dimensional, facing his opponent instead of the ball means he is not going to add much to our attack and disposal/clangers and also umps are focusing on taggers and his free against kill)

out: Jetta not tall enough, not fast enough, does not win the ball enough.

out: Bail has been playing reasonably well for a couple of games but needs to learn how to kick and get involved more.

out: Terlich his poor disposal is killing us.

out: Evans, just has not delivered in the limited time available.

In: Jamar play him in the square and use his us our decoys decoy, Dawes to CHF (seems to kick better from further out), Frawley to forward flank/Bails position

In: Salem play him in the middle for Jordie

In: Toumpas for Jetta

In: garland for Terlich, or clisby if Garland is not available.

In: Kent for Evans or Riley or Strauss if Kent is not available.

In:

No I have realistic understandings about how to turn a bad football team in to a good one. They are based on playing local footy and watching a lot of footy and listening to coaches and players speak.

I've actually got 4 changes the same as you. 5 if you count Watts back to the sub instead of dropped. You've only listed 5 ins, you have Garland twice.

The only real difference is that I want another good week of VFL from Strauss and another good week from Salem because 1 good VFL game isn't enough to really prove you are ready. The two I haven't dropped are Jetta who's only had 1 shot and Evans who's had 1 full go and 2 weeks as the sub. Both are consistently good at VFL and I think they need at least one more week. Getting games in to the future kids like Salem and Kent is great but it's still best done when they are in solid form. Shuffling the likes of Clisby, Evans, Strauss and Jetta back and forward doesn't do a lot for the team.

Cheers for that, take one garland out and put Clisby in. Clisby has been in the best at Casey consistently, Strauss has been in the best the last two weeks and Salem has been playing mainly forward and doing well. I haven't heard much about Toumpas this week?

Its pretty funny really. Half the site is demanding our most skilled player be dropped because he has no heart. The other half are calling for the heads of the guys that are all heart but make errors. We struggled to contain GC's midfield because like West Coast they have the one thing we don't have which is speed of ball movement. This makes me less concerned against Sydney. I doubt Garlo has enough match fitness yet to play.

In Kent, Salem, Strauss

Out Evans, McKenzie, Terlich

NB: Watts to be put on notice.

Put on notice about what exactly "Ohhhhhhh Jack can you at least try" so what's the downside for Jack? 3 more years contract rack up easy bruise free possessions at Casey? If he doesn't care then there is no downside and threats of being put on notice are meaningless

I think there's too much discussion on this thread about individuals and not enough about team balance. Next week Sydney is likley to play a monster forward line with Franklin, Tippett and possibly also Reid and Goodes. I can't see how Pedersen can help out in the ruck given the duties he'll have in defence and quite possibly Frawley will be needed back there as well.

Similarly I can't see how Jamar can be a straight swap for Spencer without any realistic backup.

So, I think a small has to give way for a tall. In should come one of Jamar, Gawn or Fitzpatrick, or two, if Spencer has to go out due to injury or the need for a rest.

I also hope Garland can come back in and if he does, he could take Grimes' position with Grimes taking McKenzie's (I thought Grimes was quite good on Ablett).

A small has to go out for the tall, so one of Terlich or Jetta. Jetta was virtually unsighted but I'd keep him in for two reasons - firstly, to give him some continuity and secondly, because I thought he got marginally better as the game progressed. Maybe he just needs more time to adjust to the pace of the game. (That's an optimistic thought - I doubt he'll ever be good enough).

I'm not averse to dropping all of Terlich, McKenzie and Jetta if there's another obvious small replacement.

In short, in would come Garland and one of Jamar, Gawn or Fitzpatrick

Out would go McKenzie and Terlich.

• Like 1

Changes:

Salem for Evans
Clisby for Jetta
Jamar for Spencer (must be injured)
Garland for Terlich
Kent (if fit) for McKenzie

Pederson (Tippett/Second Ruck), McDonald (Buddy), Georgiou
Vince, Garland, Grimes
Viney, Cross, Watts
Dunn, Frawley, Howe
JKH, Dawes, Bail
Jamar, N Jones, Tyson
Salem, Kent, Clisby
Sub: M Jones
First Emergency: McKenzie

Notes:
• Sydney will have a pretty big forward line, so we are going to be forced to carry four key defenders. I would also be reluctant to drop Georgiou with Garland coming in given he has shown so much this year. He also allows us to play Dunn forward.
• I would love to see Roos start Frawley in the centre bounces. He would give us some pace and strength around the contest.
• Salem has to come in given we lack both pace and skill. His age should be seen as a reason to pick him, not held against him.
• Terlich probably lacks the required polish and is out of form.
• Watts was poor on the weekend but we have to stick with him because the alternatives are all not skilled enough. Over the summer he needs to put on size more than improve his running IMO.
• Pederson should run with Tippett all day because he will also be Sydney’s second ruckman.
• Jetta was a bit unlucky at times on the weekend defensively but lacks the rebound we need out of defence. Vince is out of form in the midfield and should be freed up a bit. I would try him in the backline for much of the night.

For a game we are more than likely to lose I dont see the need for wholesale changes. Roos is building a team not slashing it each week.

He has to build confidence in some of the players.

Dropping Watts is not the answer, letting him run with Goodes would be an education.

Why would we promote Jetta just to drop him again when the whole team effort was down?

Finally Salem should not play this week we have rushed too many young ones into the team.

• Like 1

I think Jamar, Kent and Garland come in for Watts, Terlich and Evans, line up

Jetta Pederson Georgiou

Garland McDonald Grimes

Vince N Jones Cross

Kent Frawley Howe

JKH Dawes Jamar

Spencer Tyson Viney

Mckenzie, M Jones Dunn Bail

For a game we are more than likely to lose I dont see the need for wholesale changes. Roos is building a team not slashing it each week.

He has to build confidence in some of the players.

Dropping Watts is not the answer, letting him run with Goodes would be an education.

Why would we promote Jetta just to drop him again when the whole team effort was down?

Finally Salem should not play this week we have rushed too many young ones into the team.

Robbie, too much common sense there.

Why I stay off the board for a couple of days after a loss, 57 threads bemoaning everbody and everything. I was as disappointed as anyone on Sunday but apart from Nathan Jones, Viney and Cross I thought the whole team was down

With Jetta, Matera kept taking him back into the 50 when Gold Coast were attacking and he ended up one on one, how is he supposed to create from those situations, at least when he got the ball and kicked it he hit a Melbourne player, and first game in

I agree Watts needs a very very very good game, put him on Goodes

Salem hit his straps this week, but would prefer at least another couple of weeks

If players are not willing to work and provide a target, it is pointless having some good kickers off half back

I thought worst player on the day apart from Tyson was Tom McDonald (surprisingly) he got torn a new one, his timing and positioning was way way off

I reckon we keep Spencil in BUT he needs help and needs help soon. He can't carry the ruck on his own. Seeing Pedo in there trying to ruck against 200 cm Tom Nicholls wasn't conducive to raising my hopes.
Jack should stay in and as said earlier, run with Goodes. Roosy wants him to be a Goodesesque style player. Let him see how the real deal plays.
I would say Terlo probably does need to go back to Casey and learn to kick. He snagged a good goal in the 4th but some of his clangers are cringe worthy and at times costly.
I agree that there shouldn't be wholesale slashing and burning. Why we field 'inexperienced' teams isn't necessarily because we have players with low personal games tallies. It's mostly because we have no continuity on the playing front. Most weeks last year, we had 4 or 5 changes every week. Sure, let's not let people cruise but let's not just turn the team upside down for the sake of it.

The only player I want to see play is Garland, we forget how good and important he is.

But of course if he isn't fit, there is no point bringing him in.

The rest of the these ins and outs won't actually make any significant difference to whether we win or lose this game.

Salem/Toumpas/Evans/Strauss etc are not going to win us the match, just like dropping Watts isn't going to win us the game.

It would be nice to see Max Gawn replace Spencer, but realistically Spencer is a lot fitter right now and we need someone who can go 85% of the game in the ruck because Pedo is not a true backup (although is actually a pretty decent ruckman!).

I trust Roos to do the right thing by these kids. There has to be some level of consistency be it in finding form in the VFL or developing or even allowing players down on form to find it in perhaps a different role at AFL level. It's not like we are going to make finals and every single percentage point counts!

Can someone explain why we are so in favour of JKH staying in the team but loath to bring in Salem.

The reality is JKH has played some nice little cameos but not performed well. Salem has now played 4 or so games at Casey and done well.

If JKH is in the team then Salem should be as well. If not, JKH should also be at Casey learning the ropes.

• Like 1