Frankston v Casey Scorpions

Whispering_Jack

McDonald was fantastic against the Blues last week. He had one off week, he's not "way off his best".

I like T Mac in the main but his kicking is deplorable and he is whether the many care to admit it or not a major culprit in turnovers. A lot of good work comes undone through this.

You wont climb ladders with players that given the opposition a better than even crack. His game attributes arent fully rounded. Good rebound footy occurs when defenders can deliver the ball back into a attacking thrust kind of play. Tommy cant deliver it this way. Its T Mac that ought to be playing the 3rd up defender role not the one he has to date. Garland coming back may ease this but then what does this say..

I simply cant abide players who cant kick. Its football.Footballers need to be able to kick. T Mac game is built around everything else so when this is off the boil he rapidly descends into "not much use" out there, Hes not alone granted.

If he cant learn to kick effectively....what is the point.

As to the season so far Id say the Carlton game was his best, agreed... not a great deal happening otherwise. Not his best start yet. Yes, hes been asked to fill a slightly different role. He obviously cant

I'm pretty happy for Salem to spend at least the first half of the season at Casey, regardless of form, just to reinforce good habits and build a confidence base.

Eventually we must reward form, but I don't think we need to rush him in at the first sign of good form.

Even JKH could benefit from going back to a lower level for a week or 2 at this stage.

• Like 2

Good to see Strauss 3rd best on. He got a bit of it last week against Essendon(?) too. If he keeps this form up then he must be a better option at half back in comparison to Grimes, Jetta et al.

WJ (or anyone else who saw the game), how did Riley go in the middle? I think that we may need another inside mid to assist Viney and Jones...

Also where did Harmes play? What was his role?

• Like 1

Good to see Strauss 3rd best on. He got a bit of it last week against Essendon(?) too. If he keeps this form up then he must be a better option at half back in comparison to Grimes, Jetta et al.

WJ (or anyone else who saw the game), how did Riley go in the middle? I think that we may need another inside mid to assist Viney and Jones...

Also where did Harmes play? What was his role?

According to reports Riley was very good as was Harmes. Both played midfield.

See Demonology for a report on the game.

Or the Casey Scorpions website - http://www.scorpions.com.au/home/news/855-rd-3-easter-sunday-victory-over-dolphind.html

I will also provide a report page (in our Casey section) with my impressions of the Christian Salem interview on Casey Radio and all of the MFC statistics from the game.

As a sneak preview Aidan Riley effected ten tackles in the game.

Play Salem. If the choice is to play against men of a great standard as opposed to men of a lesser standard then let's get him a game. And I write this in the knowledge that we have a midfield that's going to offer significant more protection than in seasons past.

Here it is in its entirety and I'm also posting it as a separate post re the Salem interview for those not normally interested in Casey matters.

Melbourne's Christian Salem starred on Sunday for the Casey Scorpions against Frankston with a 34 possession performance which included a vital goal in the low scoring match.

Casey Radio [FM 97.7] interviewed him on its Saturday morning programme and this was replayed before Sunday's game.

These are my notes of the highlights -

The first question was about how Salen started off at the Sandringham Dragons and his battle with injury soon after being drafted. It was a thyroid problem that started last year just before the draft and by the time it was properly diagnosed and treated he was 10 kilograms lighter. He was finding that he couldn't get through training so he took a blood test which uncovered the problem. At first he was restricted to walking and it was a frustrating time but now he's back to normal.

Salem was asked about his Lebanese background. His father was born in Lebanon and his mother is also Lebanese but born here. He's very proud to be the fourth known Lebanese player in the AFL. He supported Essendon when Bachar Houli (also Lebanese) was playing for them and it's an honour representing his people.

Asked about Paul Roos, Salem says he met him up at the Gold Coast at the draft and he was very approachable. The boys want to play for him and learn the game.

Salem's father owns and runs two restaurants in Brighton - Rock Salt and North Point at the end of North Road. He worked there when he was younger but although that business is an option and he sometimes helps out from time to time, he's not sure what he wants to do in the future.

When did Melbourne first speak to him? The spoke early in the year last year and then for about 20 to 30 minutes at Draft Camp. He loved being picked up in the National Draft and is happy at Melbourne. During the year a couple of recruiters from other clubs came down to have a chat at the family restaurant in Brighton.

Asked if he would be ready to play against Gold Coast, he said he had not been named to play and that he was playing in the VFL against Frankston but he hoped the boys would get up in that game.

Has he been given a time line for when he would be in the mix for AFL selection?

"I think Roosy's good like that. He's more into not wanting to put pressure on the first year players. He's into introducing good habits in the VFL learning as much as you can and if the time comes, it doesn't matter how old you are, he'll put you in so its more about getting games into you."

The feeling was great after Satuday's win, hearing the song being sung and in recovery the next day. He assured the panel that Roosy does know the words to the song.

Asked about the transition from TAC Cup to playing more pro football, Salem said it was not too bad because with the AIS program they're pretty good at giving you a week to spend at a club. He spent it at Carlton last January and it was good in that it prepares you for what's to come. Once he got there he was comfortable - it was still hard but not too much of a step up.

What are the things he is currently working on (noting that his kicking was one of his strengths) - "I still work on it. I'm working on playing forward, on my leading up and marking, repeat efforts and leading patterns."

He was then asked to answer music questions in a 6 from 60 format:

* Biggest influence on your career so far - family

* Best teammate - Josh Kelly from the TAC Cup (now with GWS)

Hardest opponent - Tom Bugg (also with GWS) "from when I was playing school footy"

Most annoying team mate - not sure

Best sporting memory - school football

Hobbies away from football - relaxing with family, play station and watching soccer

The interview finished with a question about what he was doing at the time (Saturday morning) at AAMI Park doing "motivation stuff".

There's an article on the game on the Casey Scorpions website here.

Final Peter Jackson VFL

Casey Scorpions 1.2.8 3.5.23 5.8.38 9.14.68

Frankston 2.7.194.10.34 5.14.44 6.18.54

Goals

Casey Scorpions Best 3 Jamar 2 Morris Nicholson Salem Smith

Frankston Alwan 2 Lourey Matheson Simpson Tynan

Best

Casey Scorpions Salem Panozza Strauss Clisby Petropoulos Smith

Frankston Kitchin Cavarra Alwan Harper Potts Newman

Final 2014 AFL Victoria Development League

Casey Scorpions 3.0.18 8.1.49 9.2.56 13.10.88

Frankston 1.3.9 3.4.22 8.7.55 10.8.68

Goals

Casey Scorpions Anderson King Wyatt 2 Gawley Jackson Murray Paredes Plummer Rosier Scott

Frankston Irving 3 Fox 2 Greeley Hammond Helliwell Murnane Whitty

Best

Casey Scorpions Thwaites Drew Gawley Anderson Murray King

Frankston Williams Irving Fox Greeley Foote Lees

Statistics - Frankston v Casey Scorpions (Round 3)

* Sam Blease 22 disposals 14 kicks 8 handballs 5 marks 3 tackles 88 Dream Team Points

* Mitch Clisby 16 disposals 10 kicks 6 handballs 5 marks 3 tackles 67 Dream Team Points

* Colin Garland 15 disposals 12 kicks 3 handballs 4 marks 4 tackles 68 Dream Team Points

* Max Gawn 10 disposals 6 kicks 4 handballs 6 marks 19 hit outs 60 Dream Team Points

* James Harmes 31 disposals 15 kicks 16 handballs 6 marks 4 tackles 114 Dream Team Points

* Jayden Hunt 8 disposals 6 kicks 2 handballs 3 marks 4 tackles 47 Dream Team Points

* Mark Jamar 2 goals 10 disposals 7 kicks 3 handballs 4 marks 2 tackles 40 hit outs 97 Dream Team Points

* Daniel Nicholson 1goal 18 disposals 14 kicks 4 handballs 5 marks 3 tackles 84 Dream Team Points

* Aidan Riley 25 disposals 7 kicks18 handballs 3 marks 10 tackles 106 Dream Team Points

* Christian Salem 1 goal 2 behinds 32 disposals 23 kicks 9 handballs 7 marks 4 tackles 133 Dream Team Points

* James Strauss 21 disposals 14 kicks 7 handballs 5 marks 3 tackles 83 Dream Team Points

* Jimmy Toumpas 11 disposals 9 kicks 2 handballs 5 marks 46 Dream Team Points [injured in second quarter]

• Like 7

James Harmes 31 disposals 15 kicks 16 handballs 6 marks 4 tackles 114 Dream Team Points

Harmes did all this but didn't get in the best?
Another good showing from Riley, and Toump looking like he was on track for his third good game in a row.
Dare i say we may actually have some players knocking on the AFL teams door to play, few nervous players might be playing to keep their spots in the seniors, which is good!

Edited by The Song Formerly Known As

I would not rush Salem in. Let him feel develop his confidence and master team requirements that Roos always talks about first. Better not to see him in and out like a yo yo. Likewise I would like to see the Toump play a decent stint in the VFL for confidence etc.

Garland will probably need another week. He can play on small, tall and medium so he will be a great addition to the MFC when finally ready.

Its only a matter of time before Riley gets promoted (if he keeps building his form), maybe 2 more VFL games. It was evident yesterday we do not win enough inside contested ball and we need to be cleaner around the ground.

When Garland comes in Frawley can stay forward - can't wait for Hogan to debut. It will be interesting to see how Harmes develops. Considering his age he is winning a lot of ball.

Thanks for your update WJ.

• Like 1

WJ any reason Riley & Harmes wee not mentioned in the best players.

Bad disposals,ineffective use of the ball?

It would seem by their stats that they should have been mentioned in best players.

Toumpas: 11 disposals and 5 marks in just over a quarter of footy. Sounds like he too was headed for a 30+ possession game.

Toumpas, Riley, Salem, Harmes … something to work with?

BTW, Blease's stats aren't too shoddy either.

• Like 1

a cautionary offering:

VFL performances dont ( often ) equate to AFL

some guys are gung ho at the VFL level only to pull up like a pollie at a budget meeting

Theres no promises in those figures.

Forget the stats...who looks like they own the game at VFL...they can be elevated....no others

Riley looks solid, but he is coming off a broken leg, his lack of a base makes it hard for him to have an impact.

And I don't want to throw in and spit out more fledgling kids, and yes, I know Riley is more mature than most rookies.

• Like 1

I like T Mac in the main but his kicking is deplorable and he is whether the many care to admit it or not a major culprit in turnovers. A lot of good work comes undone through this.

You wont climb ladders with players that given the opposition a better than even crack. His game attributes arent fully rounded. Good rebound footy occurs when defenders can deliver the ball back into a attacking thrust kind of play. Tommy cant deliver it this way. Its T Mac that ought to be playing the 3rd up defender role not the one he has to date. Garland coming back may ease this but then what does this say..

I simply cant abide players who cant kick. Its football.Footballers need to be able to kick. T Mac game is built around everything else so when this is off the boil he rapidly descends into "not much use" out there, Hes not alone granted.

If he cant learn to kick effectively....what is the point.

As to the season so far Id say the Carlton game was his best, agreed... not a great deal happening otherwise. Not his best start yet. Yes, hes been asked to fill a slightly different role. He obviously cant

Agree with this sentiment BB.

It's hard to watch some of our boys coming out of the back line at times. Garland might take some pressure off T Mac here though and hopefully free his mind up a little and maybe even guide him a little when it comes to options etc. What we do need is to replace each soldier with a better one. I'm not sure we have too many "better ones" running around at Casey atm.

Effective Disposal % is a very questionable stat, especially down back where we see so many junk/panic disposals and strategic switches, but 1 percenters and tackling are a little less questionable (maybe). We should also be looking at these numbers in comparison to League averages (if i had that sort of time and could be bothered).

Lets look at some numbers so far down back....

Player Averages

Effective Disposal % / Team Ranking

Georgiou / 2

Grimes / 6

McDonald / 8 (Ranked 12 up to Rnd 17 last season with 75.1% vs this season so far 76.2%. Slight improvement? AFL average is presently running at approx 70.9% but that's overall. Need to see the one for backline players only).

Dunn / 11

Terlich / 12

Pederson / 16

1% ers / Team Ranking

McDonald / 1

Pederson / 2

Georgiou / 3

Dunn / 5

Grimes / 7

Terlich / 9

Tackles / Team Ranking

Pederson / 6

Terlich / 8

Georgiou / 19

Grimes / 21

McDonald / 23

Dunn / 25

Rebound 50s / Team Rank

Grimes / 1

McDonald / 2

Pederson / 3

Terlich / 6

Georgiou / 8

Dunn / 9 (understandable as often designated kicker and sometimes plays forward)

Edited by Rusty Nails