Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Demons season opener v Saints

dee-luded

two games in i reckon we can start to form opinions about the likely side.

B: Terlich - Frawley - Dunn
HB: Grimes - McDonald - Clisby
C: Watts - N Jones - Trengove
HF: Michie - Hogan - Blease
F: Howe - Fitzpatrick - Kennedy-Harris
FOLL: Spencer - Tyson - Vince
I/C: McKenzie - Cross - Bail

Emerg: Toumpas - Pedersen - M Jones

i can't wait to see how we go against the saints.

FB: ????? Frawley Dunn

HB: Grimes McDonald ????

C: Watts Jones Trengove

HF: Michie Hogan Toumpas
FF: JKH ???? Howe

Foll: Spencer Vince Tyson

Int: ????? Cross McKenzie

S:????

2 backline spots: Georgiou, Terlich, Clisby, ?Strauss

Key forward and back up ruck: Fitzy, ?Dawes, ?Gawn

Midfield: Matt Jones, ?Viney

Small forward/sub: Blease, Bail, Byrnes, ?Kent

FB: ????? Frawley Dunn

HB: Grimes McDonald ????

C: Watts Jones Trengove

HF: Michie Hogan Toumpas

FF: JKH ???? Howe

Foll: Spencer Vince Tyson

Int: ????? Cross McKenzie

S:????

2 backline spots: Georgiou, Terlich, Clisby, ?Strauss

Key forward and back up ruck: Fitzy, ?Dawes, ?Gawn

Midfield: Matt Jones, ?Viney

Small forward/sub: Blease, Bail, Byrnes, ?Kent

Pretty much agree with you master, although I suspect Roosy is reluctant to push kids in early and JKH will need to provide a big spark against Hawks next week to win a spot on field.

I suspect he will be the sub first up - even though I'd prefer him to play.

Viney and Kent seem to be out of favour at moment - I suspect partly because they had interrupted pre-seasons and partly because they are both still teenagers, but I hope Roosy doesn't take too long to realise they both have a spot in his best 21. Hopefully they will get a game against Hawks and have a chance to press their claims ahead of Byrnes, Bail and others.

I reckon Matt Jones blew it last night and is now going to need to have to shine at VFL level to get another crack - unless some of our top six mids get injured that is.

I wouldn't rule out Pedo just yet because he has had big pre-season and can play at both ends and ruck, but he'll have to play against Hawthorn to get in and they may not want to rush his hammy.

I reckon Matt Jones will be given one more chance next week against the Hawks to prove himself (in a game where the outcome is meaningless). If he fails he won't be putting on the red and blue again this year, short of injuries in the midfield (and even then I'd say Kent or Salem are more likely to get a chance).

Just too many inexcusable turnovers converted to goals for Geelong. With our midfield problem sorted for now, he's only going to be the broken link in the Roos' gameplan chain; precise, calm kicking to hold possession. He's neither.

I reckon Matt Jones will be given one more chance next week against the Hawks to prove himself (in a game where the outcome is meaningless). If he fails he won't be putting on the red and blue again this year, short of injuries in the midfield (and even then I'd say Kent or Salem are more likely to get a chance).

Just too many inexcusable turnovers converted to goals for Geelong. With our midfield problem sorted for now, he's only going to be the broken link in the Roos' gameplan chain; precise, calm kicking to hold possession. He's neither.

And you can tell this based on 2 scratch matches can you????? Last night we had 28 players coming off and on and no restrictions on interchange......never playing in the red and blue again????

Just name me 1 player, good or not, that didn't make a mistake last night...

• Like 2

How many times does Roos have to say he is not in favour of playing kids in front of hardened bodied players?

People need to realise Salem, JKH even Viney and Kent to a lesser extent may get the odd game here and there but probably won't get a full season.

He understands the battering young bodies receive at this level and has shown he will control how much the kids get knocked around.

Matt Jones and his ilk is likely to get more game time than many seem to think.

• Like 2

And you can tell this based on 2 scratch matches can you????? Last night we had 28 players coming off and on and no restrictions on interchange......never playing in the red and blue again????

A mistake is one thing. Didn't he kick it directly to a Geelong player in their 50 not once, but twice? Both times converted to a goal? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Every player makes mistakes. Dropped handballs, lousy tackles, undisciplined high contact, etc, fine, it happens even to the best teams in the league. But that sort of nonsense? Completely unacceptable at AFL level and a sad reflection of the mediocrity we've come to defend as supporters.

Edited by Lamashtu

My Ideal team:

FB: Garland Frawley Dunn

HB: Grimes McDonald Clisby

C: Watts Jones Michie

HF: Trengove Dawes Howe
FF: Hogan Clark JKH

Foll: Gawn Tyson Vince

Int: Cross McKenzie Viney

S: Toumpas

E: Terlich Kent Fitzpatrick

What I think I'll see round 1:

FB: Georgiou Frawley Dunn

HB: Grimes McDonald Terlich

HF: Trengove Dawes Bail
FF: Hogan Howe JKH

Foll: Spencer Tyson Vince

Int: Cross McKenzie Fitzpatrick

E: Jones Strauss Blease

Edited by Hannibal
  • Like 2

What I think I'll see round 1:

FB: Georgiou Frawley Dunn

HB: Grimes McDonald Terlich

HF: Trengove Dawes Bail

FF: Hogan Howe JKH

Foll: Spencer Tyson Vince

Int: Cross McKenzie Fitzpatrick

E: Jones Strauss Blease

I think it looks about right. Probably Howe up the ground to play a more running HF role and Hogan in to FF rotating with Dawes and maybe Viney comes in if he has a good one against the Hawks. A fit Dawes and no more injuries then it's around the mark.

A mistake is one thing. Didn't he kick it directly to a Geelong player in their 50 not once, but twice? Both times converted to a goal? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Every player makes mistakes. Dropped handballs, lousy tackles, undisciplined high contact, etc, fine, it happens even to the best teams in the league. But that sort of nonsense? Completely unacceptable at AFL level and a sad reflection of the mediocrity we've come to defend as supporters.

Just a few stats for you to digest

2013.....Matt Jones

4th .....overall kicks

3rd......short kicks

5th......Marks

2nd......Handballs

3rd......Inside 50's

5th......Hardball gets

1st......Loose ball gets

I realise we were not a good side last year but he is a far better player than you give him credit for

P.S.....4th in the best and fairest......And it was a practice match in FEBRUARY.....

• Like 1

Just a few stats for you to digest

2013.....Matt Jones

4th .....overall kicks

3rd......short kicks

5th......Marks

2nd......Handballs

3rd......Inside 50's

5th......Hardball gets

1st......Loose ball gets

I realise we were not a good side last year but he is a far better player than you give him credit for

P.S.....4th in the best and fairest......And it was a practice match in FEBRUARY.....

We went after mids mids and mids during the off season, so that VFL standard players like M Jones aren't needed for anything other than depth.

Just a few stats for you to digest2013.....Matt Jones4th .....overall kicks3rd......short kicit'sks5th......Marks2nd......Handballs3rd......Inside 50's5th......Hardball gets1st......Loose ball getsI realise we were not a good side last year but he is a far better player than you give him credit forP.S.....4th in the best and fairest......And it was a practice match in FEBRUARY.....

In a two win side. Also pushed down all of those lists substantially now that we've finally made some intelligent off season recruiting of genuine A-grade midfielders.

I don't doubt the guy has some talent as a footballer, but we've recruited to replace the worst midfield in the AFL with people who know what they're doing.

Finishing 4th in the B&F for a two win team is only an indication of how accepting of mediocrity we've been for too long. Even two practice matches in, our recruits are showing up last year's players and making it painfully obvious how badly we've been coached for years.

Still a few weeks away and this weeks game against the mayblooms will tell us a fair bit more about the level of fitness of Dawes/Viney and whether JKH is in serious contention for Round 1. I will be interested to see if Hawthorn cut us up like they have the other sides they have played in the NAB cup. They are the bench mark and have an air of invincibility coming into the season I have not seen since Cats 08 & Pies 11. Not set in stone but round 1 with almost lock ins bolded

B: Georgiou - Frawley - Dunn
HB: Grimes - McDonald - Terlich
C: Watts - N Jones - Trengove
HF: Michie - Dawes - Toumpas/Bail
F: Howe - Fitzy - Hogan
FOLL: Spencer - Tyson - Vince
I/C: McKenzie - Cross - JKH/Blease

Sub:Toumpas/Bail

Emerg: Viney?????- Kent- Pedersen- Clisby

If Viney is up to match fitness he comes in for Bail or Toumpas, I think Bail may get a game to nullify Dylan Roberton who Saints utilised a lot last season as an outlet out of defence. Mcdonald goes to Reiwoldt, If Fisher plays we need to make him accountable and play through his man when opportunity arises, Mckenzie plays to get the run with role on Armytage. One tall and two medium sized emergencies for any late changes and Viney is just in there in case he has been nursed through the preseason with a view of always being ready for Round 1. The best thing about trying to pick this side was it was a lot more difficult then it was last season with a few mids to consider

• Like 1

Alexis Georgiou
  • Like 5

We went after mids mids and mids during the off season, so that VFL standard players like M Jones aren't needed for anything other than depth.

We went after mids so that we have fit, mature bodies capable of winning the ball and running out games. Cross has been great but come regular season he'll have his moments when he looks finished. Michie looked good last night but has only played half an AFL game, almost by definition he's not AFL standard yet. Toumpas is playing half forward in a way of conceding he's not yet AFL standard.

Matt Jones when he came the club had a bit of a funny kicking technique that saw him sky the ball a bit. If a few turnovers means he's working on it that's fine.

If we go 6 defenders, 2 rucks, 2 key forwards, 2 other forwards that means we need 10 midfielders each week.

N. Jones, Vince, Tyson, Cross, Trengove, Watts, Viney, Michie, Toumpas, That only makes 9. Viney isn't in line for round 1. So we are back to 8. Means we probably need 2 of McKenzie, M. Jones, Riley, Evans to play round 1 and some parts of the year or we have to call upon Blease, Byrnes, Kent or Bail.

By next year we could be looking at Kent, JKH, Salem and Aiden Riley are legitimate members of the midfield mix. Plus other draft and trade options.

Of course in an ideal world Matt Jones at his current level with turnovers is considered depth. But right now we have 1 first choice mid injured in Viney and he's in line to play. The depth is limited.

Alexis Georgiou

Was good by foot. Makes fast decisions which impresses me. Once you do that the window of where to kick the ball is much larger than when you delay. But got beat on the lead a couple of times.

• Like 1

No player will ever have a line drawn permanently through their name - or at least shouldn't. Especially not before a match has even been played for points. Matt Jones might have done some damage to his chances of being picked for round one, but beyond that he will get every opportunity to improve and regain his spot.
  • Like 3

Was good by foot. Makes fast decisions which impresses me. Once you do that the window of where to kick the ball is much larger than when you delay. But got beat on the lead a couple of times.

Caused more by good ball movement from geelong than his mistakes. Also got outmarked by an opponent 10 cm taller than him.

What really impresses me about him is his body use and reading of the play.

Edited by angrydee
  • Like 1

Caused more by good ball movement from geelong than his mistakes. Also got outmarked by an opponent 10 cm taller than him.

What really impresses me about him is his body use and reading of the play.

Just saying he wasn't perfect. No one ever is.

I think his lot in AFL life is going to be playing on guys with 10cm on him. Like Josh Gibson at Hawthorn.

Georgiou isn't going to be picked to play on small forwards and resting mids. You need guys with more ability to find and use the ball for those spots. Against the saints for example at this stage I'd go:

Frawley - Back up ruck (Stanley or Longer)

McDonald - Riewoldt

Georgiou - Tom Lee/Maister

Then Dunn can be used smalls to attack the game more with his skills and hopefully take some intercept marks

Edited by the master