Who will emerge as our #1 ruckman this year? Who will be #1 in 5 years?

Good Times Grimes

Ruckmen  

123 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Two Knee reco's in two years gives me little confidence in his ability to withstand the rigours of AFL.

To my knowledge he has not yet been part of the Main training group this year, my confidence is further eroded.

Your ability means zero if you cannot get on the park.

Have to agree 'old dee', he needs a lot of work but can't get it because of injury. He would be the logical one to step up but...

I think we have 2 rucks for the future, Max Gawn and Max King.

Jamar could possibly be useful this year and next if fit, this will allow King to develop.

2015 onwards, Gawn will be our no 1 ruckman.

2016 onwards, Gawn and King will be our ruckman.

In 5 years time, King will overtake Gawn and go on to be the best ruckman we've had since Jeff White.

Jamar has been disadvantaged since the new rules on contests at throw ins and in contested marking.

His ruck work was based aroun his strength.

Now he can't rely on this so much, and lets be honest - he doesn't have a massive tank like some of the more athletic ruckmen.

Gawn isn't ready i don't think, with injuries his fitness wouldn't be great, he could put on some more muscle too, still a bean stalk.

Although if he hasn't left for greener pastures i think he could be at the club in 5 years as a good ruckmen.

Spencer - He's ready to be number one but his ball skills are a bit shaky. Not sure about his fitness, i think he will get there and be capable further into the year.

until then he may need more assistance.

I think in five years, he and Gawn could share the main role with King training under them.

There is still plenty of room for Spencer and yawn to improve, both still young for rucks.

Fitzy, currently a back up ruck men when he's playing forward.

Clark - i don't think we will see clark doing much ruck work at all.

When he is ready he will be FF, and doing the ruck work in the forward line when necessary.

I feel like he is probably a bit fragile with that foot, he may not be.

Ruck work is pretty strenuous on knees and ankles.

This is a pretty self-explanatory topic, but I'm curious to see what others think. There seem to be many who think that Jamar is past it, but some who think he will still be #1 this year. Then there's the Spencer vs. Gawn debate. Some people are massive fans of Fitzpatrick. There's also been several on here who have suggested playing Mitch Clark in the ruck. I'm curious to get a read on what the majority of posters think will happen with our ruck stocks in the immediate and not-so immediate future.

See my thoughts on each option below:

Mitch Clark: I think he's a fantastic FF (when he gets on the park), and I'd hate to lose him from inside the forward 50. That being said, he was incredibly effective for Brisbane when he played in the ruck, and if I'm not mistaken came close to being All-Australian. I'd only like to see him in the ruck for brief stints, and only if two of the other options are unavailable.

Jake Spencer: I love his aggression and competitive attitude. I became a massive fan of his in NAB1 when he got into it with Dustin Martin. I could see him being #1 by season's end if his skills and composure improve.

Max Gawn: I'm a huge fan of Gawnius Maximus. At this stage I have him slightly ahead of Spencer, but I get the impression that Spencer wants it more.

Max King: I was impressed with him against the Tigers. Very raw and lots to work on, but he didn't seem too out of place in my opinion. I don't think we'll see him playing AFL this year, but he should be a decent long-term prospect.

Mark Jamar: I've had it with Jamar. Done. His tap-work is ordinary, he can't mark and he's injured more often than not. Let the kids play.

Jack Fitzpatrick: I admire Fitzy and his resilience, but I don't see much of future for him at the MFC. At this stage, I think he's just a depth player on our list. He's behind all of the above ruckmen (except King), and he's behind Clark, Dawes and Hogan as a tall forward. I wouldn't be surprised to see him head elsewhere in the offseason.

The point about Fitzy is he is essentially a forward/midfielder. He has elite speed so he can play as a midfielder, even on the wing. He also can play key position forward, as well as relief ruck. In short, a very versatile, albeit very large player. I personally think, as I have written elsewhere on here, that he will end up on the wing with Watts on the other. A nightmare match up for most teams.

He will not play long term in the ruck except as a short term relief IMO.

I think we'll see Jamar come back and reclaim the top spot this year. He still has the other guys for physical presence and rucking skill, just needs to get more ball around the ground, and Roos has always done well with the rucks.

In five years, I have a sneaking suspicion that our ruck division will look very different and we will have traded in a no. 1. If we assume that we are by then a very good side, we'd be an attractive prospect for a good ruck from elsewhere. Tempting to throw in Zac Smith, but I'm going to go with Nik Nat. :)

I think Maxy Gawn will dominate with those big mitts..he has a fair bit of strength behind him.

Needs a motor yet, but he will be the main man in the ruck I think after Jamar is done.

Hes still contracted PR had no choice he's not tradable because of his contract no other club would take him, I can't remember the last time a club gave a 29 yr old ruckman a 3 yr contract.

Paul Salmon went to Hawthorn as a 31 year old played 5 years 2 B&F.

We are going nowhere if Spencer is our number 1. FCS cease the Spencer experiment.

Agreed. I simply can't have him at all.

I would have Jamar over Spencer everyday of the week as at least he can make a contest for a grab around the ground. Not saying he will take it but he does present and makes defenders/other ruckman worry. As for Spencer, he doesn't have the skills to take an uncontested grab let alone a big pack mark.

Jamar also has the potential to be a really good player again (as he has proved before he can be) and I have faith, under Roos, he will get back to at least a decent level of work where Spencer simply has no potential and no ability.

People get excited by the occasional chase he does, some token pressure or a bit of push and shove with some opposition dust buster.

i Reckon they all have appeal

but for different reasons

I hope that Roos recognises that different opponents will have game styles that will require a different ruck approach to suit the style of play needed to beat that opponent.

Some teams will need a strength in the contested tap out in a close contested game. Other games will benefit with a short burst running option.

Some games will need an addition to the defence who can take a mark against smaller opponents and redirect play with a handball to a moving player. Some games will need a ruck player who can be used to bolster the forward line providing an option for a dominant mid field who can then just bomb it high and forward

Its the value of having a good squad, you can vary the parts while keeping them all in good condition.

• Like 1

I'm thinking King could well play KP before his career is out.

Absolutely.

I don't know what his speed is like but he seems to have good hands, a decent kicking action and unusual coordination for someone of his height.

I assume that all clubs will be looking at having an agile 200cm forward like Boyd, Daniher, Tippett and our own Mitch Clarke. Correspondingly you will need a back to match.

If our forward line holds up as we hope then we may see King being groomed for a key defensive role

Agreed. I simply can't have him at all.

I would have Jamar over Spencer everyday of the week as at least he can make a contest for a grab around the ground. Not saying he will take it but he does present and makes defenders/other ruckman worry. As for Spencer, he doesn't have the skills to take an uncontested grab let alone a big pack mark.

Jamar also has the potential to be a really good player again (as he has proved before he can be) and I have faith, under Roos, he will get back to at least a decent level of work where Spencer simply has no potential and no ability.

People get excited by the occasional chase he does, some token pressure or a bit of push and shove with some opposition dust buster.

It wasn't all that long ago that Russian had the nickname donuts on here and then he started to clunk a few marks and win a swag of hit outs, even then he was criticised for not directing the ball to the mids.

Unfortunately over the last 10 years Russian has had a heap of injuries and even the year before he was in AA form he missed a heap of games and he still is. I'm concerned that he will be injured again this year and if he is number one, how long for?

Spencer is able to get to a lot of contests because of his speed and if he can hold a few, he could be an invaluable option in our new game plan. He is pretty raw and does some incredibly stupid things, but he's a real goer, is hard at it and still young so I think that he will probably hold the spot until someone shows they can do better.

• Like 3

I really hope Jamar, but seeing him at training and due to his past couple of years i'm just not fully convinced. I'm pretty confident Spencer will start as no.1 ruckman in Round 1. I'd say Spencer is the better tap ruckman and more reliable. I really like Gawn too and his efforts in a couple of losses were fantastic last year, but I think Spencer's done heaps to improve his game and should be rewarded. Seems to be a good weight, he may have butchered that ball in defence but his set shot goal showed a good kicking action and during the game he was really moving around well and getting to the ball. Clark in the ruck would be a dream but i'd like him in the 50 first. Add Fitzy and Max King who looks handy and that's 6 decent 200+cm blokes (well 5 Jamar is 198) that we're pretty lucky to have who are all options in the ruck

• Like 1

I really hope Jamar, but seeing him at training and due to his past couple of years i'm just not fully convinced. I'm pretty confident Spencer will start as no.1 ruckman in Round 1. I'd say Spencer is the better tap ruckman and more reliable. I really like Gawn too and his efforts in a couple of losses were fantastic last year, but I think Spencer's done heaps to improve his game and should be rewarded. Seems to be a good weight, he may have butchered that ball in defence but his set shot goal showed a good kicking action and during the game he was really moving around well and getting to the ball. Clark in the ruck would be a dream but i'd like him in the 50 first. Add Fitzy and Max King who looks handy and that's 6 decent 200+cm blokes (well 5 Jamar is 198) that we're pretty lucky to have who are all options in the ruck

Rubbish. Jamar can't kick. He's constantly injured and getting too old. Spencer is an idiot and has no football ability. Fitzpatrick is the only one with any talent. Gawn is a gawkish joke possibly could play for under 14s. King is as yet an unknown quantity but nowhere near afl yet.

You've seen him at training? I wasn't aware that he participated in that.

It wasn't all that long ago that Russian had the nickname donuts on here and then he started to clunk a few marks and win a swag of hit outs, even then he was criticised for not directing the ball to the mids.

Unfortunately over the last 10 years Russian has had a heap of injuries and even the year before he was in AA form he missed a heap of games and he still is. I'm concerned that he will be injured again this year and if he is number one, how long for?

Spencer is able to get to a lot of contests because of his speed and if he can hold a few, he could be an invaluable option in our new game plan. He is pretty raw and does some incredibly stupid things, but he's a real goer, is hard at it and still young so I think that he will probably hold the spot until someone shows they can do better.

All good points Robbie but I just shutter when the pill ends up in big Spencer's hands I think at least Jamar is more comfortable knowing his limitations when Spence might get a bit excited sometimes.

I just think a lot of people have written Jamar off here already for the upcoming season. He definitely won't be the man in 5 years (my $$$ is on Maximus) but I still believe he can become a force again if he wants to. People were critical of his one dimensional tap work but for a while with Beamer it was working. I don't necessarily blame him here but wonder what the hell the midfield coach was doing only having a Plan A (Jamar to Moloney) and no Plan B.

Spence reminds me of a country footballer reserves full back. Not blessed with skill, footy smarts or any swag but is loved by his team mates for running in straight lines, cleaning opposition players up and being just a brute of a man.

On fitness I agree at the moment that Spence will be the man for a while and I wish him the best.

As long as Spencer competes well in the ruck and doesn't let his opposite number rack up the touches - he will be fine.

The gameplan can survive a ruckman with kicking limitations.

He is a big bloke who uses his body well. I think he will surprise a few people this year. He will get plenty of time to establish himself with Jamar, Clark, and Gawn not being ready to play ruck - as far as I can see - for the first few weeks of the season.

He is not a world beater, but he is a solid ruckman.

• Like 1

Rubbish. Jamar can't kick. He's constantly injured and getting too old. Spencer is an [censored] and has no football ability. Fitzpatrick is the only one with any talent. Gawn is a gawkish joke possibly could play for under 14s. King is as yet an unknown quantity but nowhere near afl yet.

A 111kg 208 cm playing U14 - I'd pay good money to see that!

As long as Spencer competes well in the ruck and doesn't let his opposite number rack up the touches - he will be fine.

The gameplan can survive a ruckman with kicking limitations.

He is a big bloke who uses his body well. I think he will surprise a few people this year. He will get plenty of time to establish himself with Jamar, Clark, and Gawn not being ready to play ruck - as far as I can see - for the first few weeks of the season.

He is not a world beater, but he is a solid ruckman.

Good god we agree!!!!!!....must be a first....

I agree with most that Clark won't be rucking much this year (lack of fitness/injury concern). Longterm I would like Clark to just play stints in the ruck (30%) and while Clark rucks our no.1 ruck rests at FF (Gawn). Clark is so dangerous up forward (on another level compared to Dawes/Fitzy/Hogan). Obviously if we are really struggling to get the ball forward of centre or Dawes/hogan/Fitz are killing it then Clark could go into the ruck. I think we should still draft another 1-2 ruckman this year as I don't see Jamar or spencer as premiership players. We can always let the less promising one go after 2 years.

I hope to see Gawn take the no.1 ruck role but as others have said he needs to improve his tank, use his height in the ruck and improve his tap work.

• Like 2