Melbourne Turns to Meditation under Roos

Bonkers

Melbourne turns to meditation under Roos

Stumbled across this article. I didn't think it would be long before Roos would introduce meditation to the players. I'd be interested to hear other peoples thoughts on the topic. Personally I think the mental side of the game is extremely important & if this can help some of the players then I'm not against it. It has been successful in the NBA for Phil Jackson as well as Roos at the Swans so there is a record of it being beneficial.

excellent

meditation is hugely beneficial to health welfare & focus. & plain old composure, relief from stress & pressures.

I find drinking beer to be more beneficial/relaxing than meditating.

Then again, I'm not an AFL footballer.

HUMMMM,,, HUMMMMM,, HUMMMMMMM.............. BEEEEEEEER

Meditation..... yeah i guess its good for relaxation.... no problems with the boys de-stressing.

However, after reading this thread i seriously cant believe that a single educated, cognitively aware person in the entire word could believe Homeopathy has ANY positive benefits. Possibly the most ludicrous belief of the Hippy Set.

Meditation..... yeah i guess its good for relaxation.... no problems with the boys de-stressing.

However, after reading this thread i seriously cant believe that a single educated, cognitively aware person in the entire word could believe Homeopathy has ANY positive benefits. Possibly the most ludicrous belief of the Hippy Set.

Your chakras need balancing .

I can read that here is too much purple in your aura.

Breathe...

It was easy to predict that Tami Roos would be taking this.

TGR circa 2000's would have called this psychobabble.

The Paul Roos mantra is about honesty, integrity and openess. He has runs on the board.

Am I doing cartwheels because we are meditating? Probably not.

But am I satisfied that he is investing everything into this gig? Unquestionably.

so I must be uneducated, cognitively unaware and a Hippie. Thanks, Ding, for sorting that out for me! (Don't these arrogant self-proclaiming know-nothings ever learn??)

Ding, this thread did not set out a case for homeopathy, so that a categoric evaluation of homeopathy could be based on a reading of the thread. And then, are we to conclude that you believe yourself to be a bit of an expert on the range of ludicrous beliefs that "the Hippy set" hold to, so that you consider yourself qualified to have a stab at ranking such beliefs in ludicrousness?

Even on the basis of the placebo effect, homeopathy has to be conceded to produce SOME positive benefits, Ding - your incredulity and broad-brush dismissal notwithstanding. And I refrain from commenting on your punctuation.

I wonder at the confidence of the Dings of the world, in the face of the proven effectiveness of a Roos. "Ding says 'No'..."

More power to you Paul Roos, with whatever methods work for you. And quite a few of us - even in the face of Ding's denigration - have some idea what you are on about, and on this one, from our own experience, nod in agreement.

Robbie13: Almost everything has some placebo effect. That doesn't justify defending rip-off cures like homeopathy.

Given the nature of Mrs Roos alleged 'degree', it is not so far off topic for Ding and others to introduce homeopathy into the discussion. Nothing compared to the sort of hijacking we see in other threads regularly.

As for meditation, I've often thought that a large part of the MFC's players poor performance was between their ears, so anything that can help address that (and which has been shown to have some validity) can only be good to try. I'd love to see some meditation at 3/4 time. It might scare the pants off the opposition.

Personally I'm a bit surprised and disappointed that anyone can claim the title PhD from a course run by a non accredited institution. Surely such a qualification has to meet minimum standards to be meaningful, and I'm authorised it can be legally used if bit legitimate. While I can believe extensive study and experience in the field meditation may be something someone can have, I'm not sure that "Parapsychic Sciences" is a field of study that can be backed up with real scientific evidence to claim a PhD could be achieved in that field.

While I agree with you generally, I'd like to know what you think of PhDs in subjects like Theology.

Has anyone her ever tried or regularly do meditation?

Would like to hear some thoughts and experiences. I have never dine it but its something Ive always thought I needed to try

Refer my post above.

themeditationpodcast.com is worth a try.

I find drinking beer to be more beneficial/relaxing than meditating.

Then again, I'm not an AFL footballer.

No Ron its women that would be more relaxing. After all behind every great footballer there is a greater Lady to help steer and provide support.

No wait, beer and women would be even better. But we may need to check with Waney Carey first.

Would like to hear some thoughts and experiences. I have never dine it but its something Ive always thought I needed to try

Beginning this year, I did one minute of meditation on January 1, two minutes on January 2, and so on all the way up until I got to an hour and a half every day. That was my goal, and I found that it didn't particularly help me all that much. I feel like I'm fairly level-headed anyway, so perhaps the scope for improvement wasn't that large. I suggest you try it out in the manner I did, and stop (or not) when you feel like you know one way or the other whether it works for you.

The time investment of doing it that way isn't very large, but you still get into a progressively more significant routine every day.

Edited by Chook

There are various forms of meditation 'hogans_heroes'. I have done mindfulness in the past and the meditation along with implementation into daily life which is in simple terms concentrating or bringing your mind to what you do makes sense and worked for me. I am in the process of getting back to it now as I find myself a lot more productive and clear thinking when I do.

I can sense that this thread will go into some funky places.

Call me a prophet.

I thought the team was already doing meditation. I cite as evidence first 15 minutes round 1 versus Port this year. We didn't get a touch I am sure we were still mentally preparing for battle.

HaHaha fail.

I'd like to be in the hippy set, but there hard to find these days. I'm in to alternative, & western medicines, & health ideas... homeopathy? not for me; so I think you may be way off line re the "hippy set".

fantastic, when going thru a loved ones ill health, or after the loss of. whenever under great stress. should be a daily activity.

I'm not a regular user, but would like to be in that environment more often.

shaking off the 'inner peripheral negative chatter' allows you to be more focused for day to day activities & challenges. some people are not aware of their inner distractions, & just keep ploughing thru with their wheels out of alignment, crashing up against everything as they bounce along.

so I must be uneducated, cognitively unaware and a Hippie. Thanks, Ding, for sorting that out for me! (Don't these arrogant self-proclaiming know-nothings ever learn??)

Ding, this thread did not set out a case for homeopathy, so that a categoric evaluation of homeopathy could be based on a reading of the thread. And then, are we to conclude that you believe yourself to be a bit of an expert on the range of ludicrous beliefs that "the Hippy set" hold to, so that you consider yourself qualified to have a stab at ranking such beliefs in ludicrousness?

Even on the basis of the placebo effect, homeopathy has to be conceded to produce SOME positive benefits, Ding - your incredulity and broad-brush dismissal notwithstanding. And I refrain from commenting on your punctuation.

I wonder at the confidence of the Dings of the world, in the face of the proven effectiveness of a Roos. "Ding says 'No'..."

More power to you Paul Roos, with whatever methods work for you. And quite a few of us - even in the face of Ding's denigration - have some idea what you are on about, and on this one, from our own experience, nod in agreement.

I'm only as arrogant as you are ignorant.

You are free to believe whatever bunkum you want. Homeopathy is possibly the most ridiculous theory of all "alternative" so called therapies. The idea that the more diluted a substance, the more effective it is, is utterly laughable. And that is ignoring the absurd idea that the way the potion is shaken somehow adds to its properties....... but like i said, you are free to believe whetever nonsense you want. Provide me with one bit of scientific evidence that its potions work... anything will do... You wont find any.

Oh and as for placebo effect, i can get that from giving a person a tic-tac and telling them it is for pain relief... so yeah, homeopathy is as effective as tic-tacs, only far more expensive.

Now excuse me while i roll on the floor laughing at Homeopaths.....

This is probably THE most important thing Roos will bring to our club.

We spend 95% of the time training bodies and their minds let them down when idiots like Neeld come along.

This will be the single most important thing Roos does ,and will let the players hit the "refresh"button after a bad game, quarter or week.

Essendons attempt at getting an edge through drugs is in stark contrast to this simple,time honoured technique.

Your opinion must be respected in this matter Biffen.

I believe the girls that work for you spend considerable time meditating on where most of their pay goes.

I understand you 'invest ' it on their behalf.

Your opinion must be respected in this matter Biffen.

I believe the girls that work for you spend considerable time meditating on where most of their pay goes.

I understand you 'invest ' it on their behalf.

God i miss the like button :)