NAB Challenge 1 - Richmond v Melbourne

Bedraggled Dee

If we are a bit excited, some more than others, imagine how the players feel. Over a quiet beer tonight or a latte tomorrow a few of them will get together a mutter words like "geez he was right Roosy! It does work", "wow how good is it having Bernie and crossy", "bloody hell we have a new flash", "gonna make sure I play next week, don't want to miss out".......and so on.

So who gets dropped for Viney, Dawes, Watts, Fitzy and Hoges to come in next week?

First of all I'd like to wish Demoneyes all the best in recovery from his illness .

The win must make a big difference.

2 players I thought d

We're a disappointment on their decision making and disposal.

Frank grimes and Chippa pretty ordinary.

No more complains. Imagine with Clark Dawes Hogan Garland Watts etc..

This season is looking better

Edited by Chippy

Only NAB challenge but it feels good to be excited again. Not just with the team but with certain that seem to have something to them like JKH, Vince, and Michie. Then even players that on paper didn't seem to play well but it was workrate off the ball that allowed others to take advantage. Cam Pederson is prime example of that where stats wise he did sweet FA but his leading made space for teammates that had the team rewarded, this was something that was absolutely non-existent under Neeld (whether or not it was being taught).

JKH has also given us fans someone to get excited about when the ball's in his area and hopefully worry some defenders into coughing it up, it's a shame Flash isn't around to mentor him.

Plenty more work to be done, but confidence breeds confidence. Let's keep the momentum going.

• Like 1

Toumpas had a quiet night, but how much better will it be for him and Viney to play in a midfield where they have the support of Cross, Tyson, Vince, Jones and a fit Trengove. Not to mention players like McKenzie, Evans and Matt Jones rotating through.

It could be interesting to see how people rate Toumpas and Viney against Wines at the end of the year with a more balanced mindfield supporting their development. (Not trying to say Wines isn't going to be a good player,... but the comparisons last year were a little off)

Toumpas is a mile off. But I'm happy with baby steps.

He's a confidence player still adjusting to the physicality of AFL footy.

• Like 2

So who gets dropped for Viney, Dawes, Watts, Fitzy and Hoges to come in next week?

They might have to fight their way back into the team. That's what competition for spots is all about.

Great team effort with everyone playing their part ..... ie. straight out of the Paul Roos 'how to' text book.

If I'm not mistaken, this Barossa red tastes a just touch sweeter tonight!

• Like 3

The big kid King showed a bit of form, needs a bit of weight but looked ok.

Spence was back to horrible at times tonight he made some appalling errors.

JKH is so calm for a kid his age and he seemed to be swapping with Barry who showed a bit too.

Vince can go out on the turps as often as he likes, as long as he keeps playing like that.

Our kick outs were really good tonight and we actually hit targets in good position, I thought Dunn was good tonight.

Pederson attempted to take a mark running in to the pack from the opposite direction tonight; it was a courageous effort and I think it cancels out his shocker of last year. I do t think he will be a regular but he put in.

• Like 1

And to think there are still some saying, 'it's only the NAB cup'...

If people can't see the difference between tonight's performance and any game we played under Mark Neeld and most of Dean Bailey's then there's something wrong with you.

As Nasher has said, we played and looked like a team. We looked solid everywhere on the ground, (with an exception of the forward line for obvious reasons).

Look at the numbers we had hunting the ball, look at the confidence and hunger our midfielders played with. Look at the difference Cross, Vince, Michie and Tyson had on the entire midfield dynamic. We had structure.

The win tonight was nothing like the win we had against the pies this time last year. It was a beautiful game to watch. It's not as if we won because the tiges played poorly or didn't have a strong enough side. We won because a number have things have changed at the MFC in a short period of time.

Of course everyone will be playing it down, but I'll tell you now the lid is well and truly off for me...

If that's the kind of footy we're destined to play, we're all in for a very nice surprise....

PS - Hogan, Dawes, Viney and Clark.

Go dees

Edited by stevethemanjordan
  • Like 7

So that's what a win feels like.

I know its feb but I had almost forgotten what it felt like to win and play like a team.

I had to double check I was watching the correct game cause the boys actually sheparded their team mates.

Now we just need to continue the improvement through the NAB challenge and into the season proper.

Fair enough that there is lots of love for JKH but Dom Barry is going to be fun to watch develop too. He has got that silky, time slows down when he has the ball thing

And just watching the replay of Ty Vickory going the eye gouge/neck twist on Jack Grimes. I think it has been reported before that he may not be the worlds best human being and now I understand why

First of all I'd like to wish Demoneyes all the best in recovery from his illness .

The win must make a big difference.

2 players I thought d

We're a disappointment on their decision making and disposal.

Frank grimes and Chippa pretty ordinary.

No more complains. Imagine with Clark Dawes Hogan Garland Watts etc..

This season is looking better

I thought Chip was poor tonight and mentioned it a couple of times to the guys I was with. He seemed to take forever to decide where to kick it and when he did he kicked floaters that were intercepted. Not his best game.

Grimes seemed ok to me I didn't see a lot of him but he was ok in what I did see.

If that's the kind of footy we're destined to play, we're all in for a very nice surprise....

PS - Hogan, Dawes, Viney and Clark.

And Garland. Don't forget him.

And yes how nice was it to see the team playing to a plan and with purpose. If we play like that then even the losses won't hurt as much as they did over recent years.

• Like 2

I went and my god I know its only feb but what we have been through the last few years I will take anything

My highlights

Our kick ins from full back. It looks like we have a plan and not just bomb it to the ruckman on the wing.

Spencers chase down on Grigg

Jones, gosh I wish we could clone him. Just love him and his intensity

Watching JKH and Barry play. JKH's goal in the last quarter was great when he ran away form the richmond player who gave up. I think we have a couple of replacements for davey

Cross just go for everything and Vince and co getting the ball out of the midfield

Watching Richmond fans leave before the siren and the panic in there voices around me when they were behind

Winning at etihad. We can do it.

Paul Roos is just great and I hope it puts a smile on his face and PJ's face. Its small steps but at least we have shown something.

Edited by dees189227
  • Like 6

When was the last time we had the top five players in a match? Even if it is the NAB cup, I'm celebrating tonight.

0214_fantasy_top_5FT.jpg

Ro Bail kicked one he should never have kicked and missed one he should never have missed, how do you figure him out.

I thought Trenners looked good from start to finish tonight, you don't need to be captain to lead.

• Like 2