• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Training - Friday 7th February, 2014

Whispering_Jack

I don't think Dmitri's parents would like that.

On further thought, Christian's family wouldn't be too keen, either.

I agree Tunbridge. it's all a bit touchy with the Greeks and the Ottomans. A bit overblown I agree. Just a small issue based around the fall of Contantinople and the end of the Roman Empire but then maybe stuff going back to 1453 can't be compared to the bitter rivalries of Melbourne versus Collingwood going back to the 50's.

• Like 2

Lots would depend on Salem's natural build, plus how much he had been looking after his nutrition prior to coming to MFC more so than if he was doing gym work. Putting on 5kg is not too hard if there's lots of improvement available because he was coming from a long way back, and if he was just eating mum's cooking.

Agree that a modern footballer doesn't really need the beach muscles (e.g. Sylvia, Tapscott, Magner) and gaining lots of size in the upper body is less important than leg and core strength. You never get to bench press or bicep curl an opponent away from the ball. And if you're fit enough to get there before the opponent for the duration of the game, maybe you don't need much of anything.

There was another comment about clothing making players look different. Definitely agree, most players look huge to me in football gear, but in civvies look very slim. I worked at Carlton briefly almost 20 years ago (eek). I remember standing next to Koutoufides in his non footy gear.and being amazed at how slim, almost skinny he looked. He looked nothing like that in his footy jumper.

Also there is a massive difference between 85kg in a footballer's physical condition and 85kg in a "normal" man's physical condition. Footballer will take up less physical space, muscle is much denser than fat, even though the scale is identical. Footballer probably sitting around 10% body fat, and the "normal" male 20%+(+++)!

Standing next to Freeman on draft day, it was evident how much Salem needed to improve his body shape.

If we can get Salem even playing mid year it would be a massive advertisement for the club, considering in the past we've had the likes of Morton unable to bulk up much after years in the system, development under Roos might be something we have not seen in a while.

It's funny reading how different people who were all at the same game have vastly contrasting reports of the same players. I remember once going to a dees vs dogs game and thinking Scott west had a very quiet game , then saw in the paper the next day he had 42 possessions!

For what it's worth I thought Tyson just oozed class today, what stood out was his ability to get the ball under pressure and then with a few quick steps get himself out of traffic and into a non pressure situation

This is what he did throughout his junior career, we didn't trade pick 2 for nothing and we also got Salem. Looks a good deal to me.

• Like 4

I must have been looking in the wrong direction or missed them but Salem looked like he had 3 touches early on but not much after that. Didn't really stand out to me. Matt Jones showed similar speed early last year but it seemed to disappear as the year progressed. Michie won the ball well but ran himself into trouble a couple of times and let go a couple of shocking kicks.

You were looking in the wrong direction!

Interesting read.

Paul Roos says he was 'appalled' by Jack Watts debut and says that won't happen again

I'm glad they sorted out Salem. I'm sure it explains a few things. Hopefully he gets back to full fitness soon.

Good read, really good read and again underlines the benefits of having someone like Roos in charge along with the experience of Stone and Allison.

Clark, Dawes and Hogan are going to love being on the end of kicks from Watts, Vince, Tyson, Toumpas and Salem.

Interesting read.Paul Roos says he was 'appalled' by Jack Watts debut and says that won't happen again

I'm glad they sorted out Salem. I'm sure it explains a few things. Hopefully he gets back to full fitness soon.

How good is it to have grown ups running our club now.

We have a lot to look forward to, though it will take some time to recover.

Aye. We need to be smarter than what we were. Football players make the club, not fancy slogans and gimmicks.

On a side note this man is smiling. Does that mean he's now a ten year player?

072458-28df8570-8fe7-11e3-bde5-79e0b0a6d

Photo from last year carrot. Has webjet logo on his top.

Really like this quote from Roos about Salem:

"His last four weeks have been exceptional. I must admit I would like not to play him (early). I don't rule him out, but I like the idea of young players learning the craft early and getting good habits. We are at a club which has been scarred with early draft picks and the hype around them.... But my expectations, I am not judging you on games you play in your first year, it's your habits and work ethic and relationships."

I fear Bails and Neeld would have thrown Salem to the wolves.

• Like 1

This is actually a pic of roos from his first session at the dees when he saw us try and defend as a unit

One of my all time funniest posts on here. Loved it. Hope like crazy it won't be apt once they start playing.

Having read the reports here and the media publicity, it would appear we've fared well in the washup from the day's training and match practice.

A lively training session and a 60 minute simulated practice session with our new and younger faces showing something. Yes, there were skill errors reported but every club is rusty with skills at this stage, especially in extreme heat. Importantly, there were no injuries noted (at least nothing major) and a few of our injury concerns came closer to being ready to play. Chris Dawes and Jack Viney didn't play but they took part in the training.

So leaving them and those who were ill and weren't advised to play in the heat, we're left with a short list of four injured - Mitch Clark, Colin Garland, Aidan Riley and Luke Tapscott. Of that list, only Riley who was placed on the LTI earlier in the week, has been ruled out for the opening of the season although Clark and Garland would be touch and go. The conservative approach adopted by the club towards injuries seems to be working.

Photo Gallery

I have mentioned it before but the white strip looks better than our away strip from the last couple of years. I would like to see us trial it if we must wear a predominantly white strip to avoid what the AFL authorities and colourblind people might perceive as a clash with the Richmond uniform next week.

• Like 2

I'm ignoring that voice telling me I should be worried that a kid yet to play his first AFL game was clear BOG. I seem to recall Blease was BOG at the intraclub last year so it means little, but clearly there is still a long way to go. Mistakes under pressure at a practice match is not a great sign. Grimes' poor kicking: a familiar and sorry tale.

On the upside, glad that Viv was in the thick of it and the plan is to get the ball in the hands of Vince (and Watts) as much as possible.

Even with skill errors I'd much rather see a gameplan that puts faith in the ability to pass and retain possession rather than hogging the wings and giving the opposition time to get numbers back and protect space. I will be very disappointed if a reportedly fit group is still not willing to work hard for teammates to create options under Roos' direction. Get a positive gameplan in place and the rest will follow with the likes of Salem and Toumpas coming through. As Roos has said, as long as people can see what is trying to be achieved in the early stages, I'll be reasonably content.

• Like 1

correct me if it's just the heat making me delusional, but did I not hear Paul Roos (at the AGM I think?) mention that they discovered Salem had a thyroid problem when he first came to the club that meant he lost 5 or 6 kilos?

This would explain the perception that he has put on a lot of weight.

• Like 1

correct me if it's just the heat making me delusional, but did I not hear Paul Roos (at the AGM I think?) mention that they discovered Salem had a thyroid problem when he first came to the club that meant he lost 5 or 6 kilos?

This would explain the perception that he has put on a lot of weight.

You can be born with it, the main thing is it's now sorted and from reports a very exciting prospect, the kid can seriously play and who knows may make it into the top 22. 2014

Toumpas and Salem just might be the real deal

Nice exotic combo too

THe greek and the... not sure of Salems heritage.

The boys mums combined would make a great Souvlaki.
  • Like 1

You might want to review your own user name which many might also consider racist and offensive.

TGP I was actually going to post that but who goes there when its not required , it was a [censored] post but what can you do.

Rascist comments not appreciated. Stop the stereotyping.

I would call you a clown but that would be stereotypical of people who work in the Circus industry.

• Like 2

Mate went to the Saints intraclub yesterday and it's amazing how similar his view of proceedings was to many of the ones we hear about the Melbourne session. Promising young blokes. Players missing through injury. Scrappy footy. Rusty players. Some with poor disposal etc.

On top of that he wasn't happy with the venue at Seaford. No amenities, seating or shade in the heat. Parking impossible. The local bowls club charged $4 for parking and traffic a shambles on the way out. I joked with him that it was all Cameron Schwab's fault. He's worried about the season ahead and even round 1 although he's usually pretty gung-ho.

• Like 1