Pick 9: Who do we take? (Poll)

Demon Jack

Pick 9  

325 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I've voted for Christian Salem because after seeing a few of the videos & reading some of the right ups from AFL.com, plus other media reports, news articles, etc... I've formed the view that he posses-es most of the attributes now, that we are looking for.

apparently great skills on both sides, is a hard worker & strong runner, strong tackler, & nice reader of the play.

initially I was in the Lennon bandwagon, but I'm not sure about how much aggression he has. I'm still a fan of Lennon, but I think maybe Salem has more attributes & more versatility for where we are at right now.

I'm not expecting Scharenberg to be available to us @ P9.

Edited by dee-luded

I think Wines' output in 2013 was much higher than everyone expected and Toumpas much lower, but I agree. No guarantees that Toumpas will end up better but I like his skill set and what he offers. We'll have more idea in a year or 2.

Lets hope he just doesnt show potential for his whole career like your name sake

I agree he must show a lot of improvemnet in year 2 to convince us all

Im excited!

I want Salem but think he'll end up with the Pies at Pick 6. They know they can more than likely snag some midfield height in Bontempelli at 10, which leaves Freeman for us at 9. Not sure about Freeman but he gives us speed. We snag Freeman and Nicho will go, we don't, he might be given a one year deal. All just my thoughts.

Ok, I've swung from Freeman to Acres back to Freeman and Sheed is emerging as my late favourite. There's a lot of talk about how weak this draft is but the top 15 - 20 look bloody good to me. I'm looking forward to getting down the coast to take it all in on Thursday. Not sure I'll pick up anything the good folk on Demonland won't get off Foxtel or afl.com but I'll report anything of interest.

• Like 1

Ok, I've swung from Freeman to Acres back to Freeman and Sheed is emerging as my late favourite. There's a lot of talk about how weak this draft is but the top 15 - 20 look bloody good to me. I'm looking forward to getting down the coast to take it all in on Thursday. Not sure I'll pick up anything the good folk on Demonland won't get off Foxtel or afl.com but I'll report anything of interest.

The many views of posters here cover and quite probably justify the selection of any one of 15 or more young kids, with Tom Boyd being the' one sure thing' that will not be available.

We're going to end up with someone who will, more likely than not, be a very good player for us for a number of years.

Trading pick 2 for Dom Tyson and pick 9 was a stroke of genius. Who was that genius? Taylor, Viney, Roos, ...... ?

Scharenberg is the best player in this draft by a long way. If he's available at 9 it would be a major shock but one that our recruiting people should recover from quickly enough to call out his name and number.

If not there then I have this feeling that Sheed is the type of player who would fit the Roos style the best and we'll go for him.

Unless there is a slider (Scharenberg/Aish) I don't mind Sheed, whilst I don't think he suits some sides I think he suits Roos and the Dees, getting a good honest mid who will play 150/200 games. Subi also have a nice young mid Josh Deluca coming through next season was very impressive this season as a bottom age player in Colts, will be keeping an eye on him next season

Will be happy with Scharenberg if he slides as he is talented.
Otherwise will be happy with Freeman, Salem or Sheed.
Not a fan of Lennon. Don't think Crouch is needed as we have a few ball winners now. Lewis Taylor is a gun, and more talented than all the midfielders we're considering. He is however too short. We need mids with decent size. It's unfortunate as if he was 5-6 cm's taller he'd be my fav of the bunch and a top 5 pick IMO.

I rate Lennon quite highly but just don't think he is what we need.

Lennon gets my vote. Speed, excellent foot skills, wins hIs own ball, and knows how to kick a goal. Aside from the lack of time in the midfield compared to others in the top ten, I don't see a lot I don't like. He can be moulded.

I don't think focussing on another inside grunt type player is the way to go. We need to add some class and versatility. and frankly I'm wary of players where the only mark against is their disposal, which seems to be the case with a few of them.

In saying that, there doesn't seem to be much splitting them.

The many views of posters here cover and quite probably justify the selection of any one of 15 or more young kids, with Tom Boyd being the' one sure thing' that will not be available.

We're going to end up with someone who will, more likely than not, be a very good player for us for a number of years.

Trading pick 2 for Dom Tyson and pick 9 was a stroke of genius. Who was that genius? Taylor, Viney, Roos, ...... ?

It certainly wasn't BP that's for sure.

Our selections are done by a team, ultimately the coach wears the accolades, who humbly will pass it on to Taylor & Viney.

I have had a look at the videos of both Freeman and Salem.

Freeman is quick but runs like a small player crouches down and keeps closer to the ground. his kicking lets him down.

Salem on the other had runs tall, has good eyes to spot players on the move and is a deadly left foot kick. I don't think he has any right foot which could pose a problem when he steps into AFL.

of the two I would go for Salem

• Like 1

Denham slammed us in the paper for trading a Brownlow medallist in Kelly. He has him already winning one. He says every other club's recruiter says we were mad with our trade. That is not the case, as I spoke to another official of another club whose recruiter disagrees and doesn't have Kelly in his best three mids. Another trashing of us by Denham.

Edited by Redleg

Denham slammed us in the paper for trading a Brownlow medallist in Kelly. He has him already winning one. He says every other club's recruiter says we were mad with our trade. That is not the case, as I spoke to another official of another club whose recruiter disagrees and doesn't have Kelly in his best three mids. Another trashing of us by Denham.

The worth of that trade won't be known for a few years.

He may be right...

As I haven't seen any of these kids, I wouldn't have a clue.....I have read all the media reports and seen a few videos .....they all look and sound great.......But I also remember seeing the reports of past draftees most of them said the same things....Great ball getter.....Great kick....Great speed....Great inside/outside player.....great awareness ect ect ect. It's the same every year.....Bennell was supposed to be great as was Morton and numerous others.

I trust the FD and recruiters to do their homework and get the picks right...But I won't criticise them is they don't as it is such an inexact science, this draft business.

It wouldn't surprise me if we chose someone else completely. Very little information has been getting out in the last few months, so I think there's a bit of guesswork in relation to the phantom drafts for out pick. Most has been based on us needing speed, therefor we must be after Freeman or Salem.

Acres has been very much off the radar of casual draft watchers due to injury, but those who have seen him rave about him. I hope he's the one we read out at 9.

• Like 1

It wouldn't surprise me if we chose someone else completely. Very little information has been getting out in the last few months, so I think there's a bit of guesswork in relation to the phantom drafts for out pick. Most has been based on us needing speed, therefor we must be after Freeman or Salem.

Acres has been very much off the radar of casual draft watchers due to injury, but those who have seen him rave about him. I hope he's the one we read out at 9.

Wouldn't be surprised.

…and when Acres or Sheed or whoever we pick is taking the game apart for us we can let him know about it.

The one problem I have with some of the reporting on Kelly is the DH who said we had 2 chances to get him. Well technically that is correct but lets just see how he stacks up against Hogan who we did take in his place the first chance.