Scott Watters Sacked!

S.R.J

They are saying on the AFL website that Watters didn't have permission from the club to go on air this morning. He told those in charge he did. Didn't it occur to him he may come out the other end looking like a complete goose?

I look forward to the presser this afternoon when we get the full story from St. Kilda's side.

I did think that, he must have not actually not discussed it with Pelchen before doing it, straw that broke as they say.

obviously the comments he made on radio are just like every other public comment you hear from every other player/coach/admin: useless platitudes in no way necessarily aligned with the truth, spouted out to paint a positive picture of the club for the members to hear.. how is that surprising to any of you at this point

They are saying on the AFL website that Watters didn't have permission from the club to go on air this morning. He told those in charge he did. Didn't it occur to him he may come out the other end looking like a complete goose?

I look forward to the presser this afternoon when we get the full story from St. Kilda's side.

Don't you think it is more than strange that the senior coach of an AFL club has to get permission to speak to the media. I find that staggering. I know there should be co-ordination of the public utterances to build consistency, but I a would have thought that ought to be set by the senior coach, director of football, and the CEO.

No wonder they are in a mess, and how difficult after this will it be for the current administration to build trust with the new coach?

I think she means he left the club headquarters, not left the club permanently.

Unless she changed her original tweet, she actually said: "Terry Milera has gone home for the day, refused to comment on the way out. Few players inside #watters"

Also, the AFL tweeted the following a few minutes ago: "It is understood Scott Watters' radio interview may have impacted on his dismissal"

Edited by hardtack

obviously the comments he made on radio are just like every other public comment you hear from every other player/coach/admin: useless platitudes in no way necessarily aligned with the truth, spouted out to paint a positive picture of the club for the members to hear.. how is that surprising to any of you at this point

It's surprising that no one at the club stopped him from making a fool of himself and the club by going on the radio.

To be fair BB, there hasn't been too much insanity from the club in recent years. There was of course the St. Kilda school girl stuff and Milney but I think admin. handled those dramas as well as could be expected. When they sacked Thommo, it was miles better than this. It was done ruthlessly and efficiently without a great deal of fallout.

This seems to be a return to the St. Kilda of the '80's.

Well handled?

Milne case: St Kilda coterie members and (allegedly) officials lean on St Kilda Police to cover up ('not proceed with investigation') serious allegations in a case deemed credible and reopened for investigation 7 years later.

Schoolgirl: St Kilda officials and coterie members circulate demeaning videos and jokes about the girl, publicly '[censored]-shame' her, make absurd threats to claim damages, and in the process basically keep the issue in the media for much longer than would otherwise have happened, by which time an apparently somewhat unhinged teenage girl has become a publicity addict with an axe to grind. Meanwhile, players and, incredibly, player manager Ricky Nixon, have managed to get themselves further entangled in a pathetic and sordid drug and sex web.

Meanwhile, they also blew the re-signing of Ross Lyon by making him wait and wait for even a solid contract extension offer, their relocation to Seaford has been a shambles (an expensive shambles) every step of the way. They also sacked Grant Thomas in a year (2006) he took the team to finals despite several top players being injured (and, indeed, if not for the rampaging might of Nathon Carroll, Brock Mclean and Cameron Bruce they would have continue past the first elimination final), a process done with considerable, enduring acrimony. The next year Butters was also overthrown and much of the board departed, again, in acrimony.

Far from being well-managed, the St Kilda football club has lurched from one conflict and media storm to another for the last 8 years, held together only by what would appear to have been two top coaches (Thomas and Lyon) and the strength of the core group of elite players which are now retiring or leaving, with few apparent replacements.

They have failed to build a solid financial base or to mobilise an active supporter group in the last ten years, despite being one of the most successful teams on the field with several of the highest profile names in the game - St Kilda's membership numbers have barely been ahead of Melbourne's for the last five years.

I deeply worry about St Kilda's situation if they also now have to deal with a very long period of being uncompetitive. Their best ten players, with the exception of Jack Steven, are either on the edge of retirement or already out the door.

Put another way - they turned out a pretty dismal year in 2013 despite more than half their Best-22 being at least 27 years old.

Right now, they are in a worse on-field situation that the Demon's season of 2007. And there's nothing going on off-field to suggest it will be responded to effectively.

• Like 4

had to be done

he was their very own Neeld

Now they need to find their very own Peter Jackson, cos i reckon they are in way more trouble than we ever were

Their list is shockingly bad. Wonder what their financial situation is like?

had to be done

he was their very own Neeld

Now they need to find their very own Peter Jackson, cos i reckon they are in way more trouble than we ever were

Their list is shockingly bad. Wonder what their financial situation is like?

Rumours to be woeful.... serious issues.

Hmmmm..just had lunch with a friend who has amongst customers a Fox family member. He reminded me he said "Harvery likely to be coach in 14"... nearly a month ago !! Not 100% , never is..lol

we wait and see

Like Nasher I feel for the saints supporters who are mostly just innocent bystanders like the majority of us at the MFC.

However if it helps us win round 1 then carry on Saints because the Dees desperately need a win in round 1

• Like 1

I just watched the Foxtel interview.

What a waste of space the new president is. Who is pulling his strings. (me thinks the players)

It was the biggest waste of 5 min. I have spent watching TV in my life.

No wonder they are in deep Shite.

I was told a little whisper today...it went like this.. Riewoldt and a couple of others basically laid it down to the club.."Its US...or Watters !! Deal with it" :o

its been dealt with...so it seems :unsure:

• Like 1

That Presser was weird and Surreal....it said nothing.

Even the MFC had relevant Press Conferences..

That club is beyond a mess.

I suppose 1 Flag by 1 point in 141 years is a possible reason....

We must SMASH them next year....Roos inc will be ready.