• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

WELCOME TO THE MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB - BERNIE VINCE

Dwight Schrute

In 2011 Sylvia was......5th in kicks for the club

4th in short kicks

5th in handballs

5th for handballs received

2nd in tackles

2nd for inside 50

2nd for hardball gets

4th for looseball gets

Was also our second highest vote getter in the Brownlow with 10 votes and our third highest goal kicker with 25 goals

I don't have the stats for the last two years but he was injured going into the 2012 season and I have tried to wipe from memory 2013.....It's funny that people really stick the boot in to players who have given many years of service to our footy club weather you like them or not...

I really hope that Col finishes his footy career on a high except when he plays us.....

Full pre-season, three quarters of a pre-season, half a pre-season...

It's not going to change the fact that he had little ticker.

The 'no pre-season' card has been used far too often for Col.

Why is it that Jones has become the player he is today and Col is where he is at?

Don't tell me it's because Sylvia has never had a pre-season. Of course he has. He may have battled injuries. But so have many players.

Look at Cotchin. An emense talent, but with the heart and desire to work and play hard. There's the difference.

The point is, Col is his own problem. I don't wish him good or bad luck. He never did anything to stand up for the club unlike Jones even though he is a year or two older. He has a limited capacity to think, prefers night clubs over training and bicep curls over working on bettering himself as a footballer.

Wake the fark up.

My point was I don't think this news is any kind of revelation about the MFC or about Sylvia. Both him and us have been suboptimal for way too long. If he gets fitter and plays better at Freo I won't say he was completely rubbish to the MFC. I'd say he was completely rubbish at the MFC and that is a joint responsibility.

It's to do with their capacity to 'think'. Which is born from their environment pre-draft. Family, peers, what they were exposed to.. etc etc.

Of course being at the MFC during that period didn't help any individual. But it's interesting that Jones has come on after nearly a decade of playing for us, whereas Sylvia absolutely hasn't.

Edited by stevethemanjordan

Therefore, much of it is based on the individual.

And as we can see nowadays with drafts. Strong clubs value players and their 'capacity to think' just as highly as football related skills etc.

Character is extremely important.

I quoted this one coz there were quite a few epistles from you, you don't like facts getting in the way do you........one difference between Jones and Syliva, Jones completed the last 4 preseasons from day 1 without injury/illness etc

Nathan Jones and Colin Sylvia ... One thing sets them apart and that is a desire to be a better footballer. Nathan Jones consistently busted a gut doing everything he could to improve himself. Col on the other hand coasted on his talent for far too long. I loved watching Colin play when he played well, and he was always great with the fans but the fact is that Nathan Jones worked his butt off to become a better player, more so than Colin.

I quoted this one coz there were quite a few epistles from you, you don't like facts getting in the way do you........one difference between Jones and Syliva, Jones completed the last 4 preseasons from day 1 without injury/illness etc

And there it is.. The injury card.

There is a significant and obvious difference in their desire and hunger to become the best players they can.

And that has absolutely nothing to do with pre-seasons.

Nathan Jones and Colin Sylvia ... One thing sets them apart and that is a desire to be a better footballer. Nathan Jones consistently busted a gut doing everything he could to improve himself. Col on the other hand coasted on his talent for far too long. I loved watching Colin play when he played well, and he was always great with the fans but the fact is that Nathan Jones worked his butt off to become a better player, more so than Colin.

That's an answer for you also Saty.

Its just a non-argument.

My impression of Sylvia's 'story' with the Demons is a mixed one.

Clearly had issues with alcohol and the nightlife, clearly was not particularly disciplined when it came to 'football lifestyle expectations'. There's no doubt that this contributed to the fact he never player a full season and was never able to push up a notch to be the consistent, elite player he obviously could be.

But, he was a good player overall. Short of elite, short of what the expectations were, and short of earning the salary he expected. But a good quality player.

Anyway, returning to Vince.

He seems to be the 'mostly harmless' type, even when [euphemism alert] playing loose with AFL lifestyle expectations. Not going completely off his brain, not getting connected to criminals, not getting violent or abusive. He also appears to have a good general work ethic and application to training. I'd want to know more about how seriously he takes recovery from games and that sort of thing - is his drinking and merry foolishness at least contained to official down time?

As a side note, I'd argue that Vince is more of a replacement for Moloney than for Sylvia. Dom Tyson could be the more like-for-like step in for Sylvia, surely?

In what capacity was he a good servant? He was paid top dollar for his potential and look at where he is?

B&F finishes?

Leadership group?

Improvement?

Work ethic?

You can associate none of these words to Sylvia. Compare him to Jones. They are light-years apart.

And please stop using the word 'hero' on Internet forums.

Ok, I'll accept what you define as being the requirements of a good servant and repeat that I wasn't particularly disappointed when he left. I can't think of one other player on our list at that time that could be compared to Jones...he was more the exception that proved the rule where dedication and work ethic at the MFC were concerned. It would have been interesting to see what Roos could have got out of Col, as along with Watts, he was a required player when Roos was trying to get him to remain at the club.

As for the use of the word "hero", I think it's very appropriate in many cases on these forums... or are you just disappointed I'm not using prefixing it with the word "keyboard"?

There was an article from a WA paper saying he was on an individual running only program all by himself, didnt say anything about him coming in unfit.

Ah as above.

Ha ha he ain't running by himself because he's super fit!!

2 + 2

He's running by himself because he can't keep up with the Freo guys

Lazy lazy lazy footballer.

Jack and Ben, the idea that you know what happens in AFL is a joke - a sick, pathetic, joke. You don't know squat. You would not know if indiscretions became public. You don't have a clue. And I'm guessing that the only reason you buck up at Bob is because it is Bob. I'd figure that you'd just shut up now, after all your failures. After all your trumped-up assertions/denials that now drift, dead and decayed, across the sterile databanks of the 'net.

Bob made the most basic of points - I'll strip it down for you (consider it like a community service): Player X has left club Y because of "issues" - I hope the club has done a damn good risk assessment!

That is it.

You both jump up and say "Risk? What risk? We know everything!" I'm surprised the hubris you had for breakfast didn't choke you.

After Jimmy. After Don. And Cam. And Neeld. After so many stuff ups. After losing so many sponsors...After the AFL had to save us from ourselves while Jack railed against it all (Damn you Andy for getting us Jackson and Roos - now we're rooned!).

But you two genuises reckon you've got this one covered.

Thanks guys,

I'll sleep better now.

Jack and Ben, the idea that you know what happens in AFL is a joke - a sick, pathetic, joke. You don't know squat. You would not know if indiscretions became public. You don't have a clue. And I'm guessing that the only reason you buck up at Bob is because it is Bob. I'd figure that you'd just shut up now, after all your failures. After all your trumped-up assertions/denials that now drift, dead and decayed, across the sterile databanks of the 'net.

Bob made the most basic of points - I'll strip it down for you (consider it like a community service): Player X has left club Y because of "issues" - I hope the club has done a damn good risk assessment!

That is it.

You both jump up and say "Risk? What risk? We know everything!" I'm surprised the hubris you had for breakfast didn't choke you.

After Jimmy. After Don. And Cam. And Neeld. After so many stuff ups. After losing so many sponsors...After the AFL had to save us from ourselves while Jack railed against it all (Damn you Andy for getting us Jackson and Roos - now we're rooned!).

But you two genuises reckon you've got this one covered.

Thanks guys,

I'll sleep better now.

Paranoia.

And there it is.. The injury card.

There is a significant and obvious difference in their desire and hunger to become the best players they can.

And that has absolutely nothing to do with pre-seasons.

That is just silly saying it has nothing to do with preseasons, according to you then as long as the players have the desire, there is no need to do a pre season.

I don't know which bit you don't get, every MFC supporter was frustrated with Col Sylvia, but it is tempered with the fact that the poor bastard couldn't ever get a clear run at it, and that was part of the frustration, if you had attended pre season training last year on a regular basis, you would have seen Col lacking in desire, on every extra lap he did around the oval, and he was another one who knew exactly what supporters thought of him, the best thing he did for everybody was leave, personally I have no ill will towards him I hope he has a good year, injury permitting of course

I think Jones is a better footballer and that's what sets them apart. Col has never had the potential a lot on here think he had, he lacked some vital elements that the really good players have. Personally I think he reached his potential with us, he is likely to play some good footy with Freo with better players around him if he gets on the ground but he will never be a star.

Don't worry, he comes in, says something to attack someone because they make a point he disagrees with, then leaves again. Kinda like a cold sore.

A cold sore never really goes away though

Sylvia's a good player who would still be in our best 22.

He left. Without landing Vince in return, I'd be mighty unhappy.

That we landed Vince in return however makes me mighty happy. I'm really looking forward to seeing him running with the ball out of the centre square assessing whether to kick it to Clark, Hogan, Dawes or Howe. Or whether to take it himself and nail it from 55 metres out.

On balance, a win for us.

The bashing of Sylvia here is pathetic though. He's given us a lot more over the years than several other of our high draft picks.

Sylvia's a good player who would still be in our best 22.

He left. Without landing Vince in return, I'd be mighty unhappy.

That we landed Vince in return however makes me mighty happy. I'm really looking forward to seeing him running with the ball out of the centre square assessing whether to kick it to Clark, Hogan, Dawes or Howe. Or whether to take it himself and nail it from 55 metres out.

On balance, a win for us.

The bashing of Sylvia here is pathetic though. He's given us a lot more over the years than several other of our high draft picks.

I don't agree with the bashing of Sylvia either but he failed to live up to expectations and never really gave the appearance of hurting like supporters do when we get beaten. I suppose that's just his personality.

It will be interesting to see if he can rise above the hot and cold player over there that he's been at Melbourne.