Colin Sylvia going ... going ... GONE!

burfy174

Once we pick up Cross and another FA, we wont get any compensation....

Lose him for nothing

Cross is a delisted FA, we don't get lose compensation if we take him onto our list. As for other FAs... don't think there are that many that we are interested in are there?

As pointed out above it's likely we will get something like Band 3. The joke in all of this (football purist perspective) is that Hawthorn are likely to only receive a pick 1 or 2 places higher than us for Franklin compared to what we get for Sylvia.

Yeah, I am upset about losing Sylvia... untapped potential aside, we have just lost a 150 game player with a mature body that we would have been playing through the midfield, the one place we have a weakness, it will hurt us... it's one more mid we have to now chase this trade period!

Edited by Oucher
  • Like 1

"the melbourne football club will always be in my heart: it has made me who I am today and I thank them for that"

Ok Col, you are leaving ..I get that....but geez ....no need to get nasty.

• Like 12

Good luck Col, thanks for your efforts.

Can't knock him for having the kahoonas to pack up and move interstate to chase finals hopes.

Just wish we had a proper coach the past 5-6 years to see if he could've got more out of him.

• Like 1

Very disappointed with this. Seems Col would rather be the icing than the cake. He should do well at Subi. No doubt we will get bent over on the compo.

Good luck Col, thanks for your efforts.

Can't knock him for having the kahoonas to pack up and move interstate to chase finals hopes.

Just wish we had a proper coach the past 5-6 years to see if he could've got more out of him.

I used to think that way ("who could blame them for chasing success..."), but I've changed my mind. If you want success, drive it your bloody self. The best teams in the competition are all the best because they've done exactly that, and with Roos now on board a senior player like Sylvia is being given a golden opportunity.

• Like 9

This is further proof that the AFL is starting to become a very unequal comp. It doesn't bother me that Sylvia is leaving because there is nothing we can do about it. But the fact is the AFL need to think of a way to help the lower clubs before it gets out of hand. Soon we will see the Hawks and Swans and Pies just continue to top up with other teams players very much like the EPL and we will just sit between last and mid table for ever. Until maybe some rich person takes over and pumps money into us. I am afraid for this competition and if it continues like this I won't bother watching anymore and will spend my time doing other things. I love the club but I can see things going very badly for the AFL.

• Like 5

The compensation formula produces a points rating for players based on:

1. The new contract of the free agent;
2. The age of the free agent.

Draft picks are allocated to clubs based on the net total points for free agents lost and gained during the transfer period.

Draft picks will be allocated to one of five places:

• 1st round
• end of 1st round
• 2nd round
• end of 2nd round
• 3rd round

What do you think we will get? Mahoney says he was offered a similar deal to what Freo offered, so it would be some decent coin.

Said it before, but I think the actual pick for compo should not only be based on where the club losing the player is on the ladder, but there should be a factor of where the club gaining the FA is on the ladder. Either the compo band is enhanced, or maybe the gaining club loses a pick in the round of the band. There needs to be disincentive of top clubs feeding off lower clubs.

• Like 1

Disappointed, but not shattered. I still think we'd be better off with him than without. Oh well.

Agreed - it is a loss and I think he will play very well for Freo.

But having said that if we get reasonable compensation e.g. pick 19 and can snare 1-2 good youngish mids (22-25) combined with 2 senior mids (26-30) then we might just come off on top.

Difficulty is keeping that compensation whilst aquiring some senior mids.

Hope him all the best for the future and I fully understand his decision.

Edited by Young Dee

I think the first mistake many make here is to over value the REAL value he gave the team. It was over ten years a very ordinary and sometimes petulant contribution. Col seemed a very " well be thankful for whatever I give you " type

Whilst his ilk exist at Melbourne we will never climb out of mediocrity and scale upwards.

Howl me down to your hearts content but I for one am glad to see the back of him and the "which "insert player of choice" " will take the filed today types.

Personally I wish him no malice whatsoever as I really couldnt give a rats what happens one way or another, he's that irrelevant.

Next year when you see someone else in his place play with real desire and commitment you'll start to wonder what was ever the attraction about Colin Sylvia.

Thanks Fremantle

Go Dees

I don't mind him leaving for Freo, he has a chance to win a flag. If he leaves for Essendon I'll be staggered, what a poor choice that would be.

More of the same? Unfortunately, Col has made more than a few poor choices during his career.

Obviously if Freo could afford him considering they brought in Pearce last year and have some guys on big coin then that tells me their offer (and subsequently ours as well) wasn't over the top. It's good to see we didn't try to sell the farm for a guy who obviously wasn't that committed anyway. Unfortunately that also hurts us in compensation, but I really hope we get a second rounder.

I'd say we use our third round pick on Viv Michie. He only got 1 game for Freo this year and will only fall further down the pecking order with Sylvia there. Averaged 25 touches a game in the WAFL this year, has plenty of class, I think he'd be interested.