Thanks Robbo & Co

Whispering_Jack

What you say maybe correct. We are that bad. But the main reason we are that bad i that we played the system for PP's in the first place.

I agree with the post above. I wish the PP never existed because it has never been used correctly by any club.

I doubt Roos can specify a PP as part of his deal, but we will find out.

If we get it, fine. Use it to draft an experienced Mid. But if we don't i will not lose any sleep over it.

We have talent. We can get 2-3 mids with shrewed bargaining.

Plenty of clubs used it to great effect. Saints got Riewoldt and Koschitzke, Pies got Daisy Thomas and Pendlebury, Hawks got Roughhead and Franklin, Blues Kruezer (jury still out on him, maybe).

The tanking effect is way over rated as far as I'm concerned. It was only an issue in two games. One we would have won except for an after the siren mark and goal, the other we would have lost anyway. It wasn't relevant in any other games. Don't worry about what McLean said, he left bc he didn't want to commute from Werribee to Casey.

Don't disagree that PP should be retired but right now it is here and there is no club that is ever going to meet the criterium like we do right now. Hopefully we won't stuff it up if we do get one. It'll be traded for an established midfielder and boy do we need that.

No idea if there is a set time to announce if we are getting one.

But if we aren't getting one, I assume there will be nothing said.

I'm hoping they scrap the PP it's a terrible idea that has hurt us more than it has ever helped.

It hurt us because we over valued it and didn't put any resources into drafting and player development. But for everyone else it's been a great way to lift clubs off the bottom and move them up the ladder.

Of course GWS and Gold Coast -- who both got the equivalent of 5 or more PP's have changed things massively but I'm not sure I can think of a year where so little change has happened on the ladder. Sure Port jumped up but if they get bailed out after 1 match it wont count for much. West Coast took a tumble which isn't too surprising given the age of their list and how bad their injuries were, Adelaide the classic case of a young side over achieving one year the under achieving the next but really not a lot else happened. Gold Coast were predictably better. Brisbane the same. St Kilda fell lower and the dogs improved but in the scheme of successful rebuilding of the past they didn't exactly do anything amazing.

Richmond are entering finals this year on the back of some really clever trading and drafting, with some nice young talls maturing and some decent flankers and midfielders. But the main strength of their side comes from their top draft picks in Cotchin, Martin and Deledio. They are the 3 if you shut down for a match and the rest of your side is half decent you've gone a long way to beating them. Imagine if instead of Tambling they took Franklin when they got their Priority Pick. Well you'd probably have them top 4 and a real force. That's the benefit of the priority pick, it means the bad teams get better faster and when they are better they are actually very good - see Hawthorn, StKilda, Bulldogs and Collingwood.

Agree, but perhaps 'will' should be 'should' in the above. I can imagine politics stopping us from getting one and in future years a team which has performed less badly than us gets one.

Sue they would have to be pretty bad. Now if the AFL are to pay Roos $1m per year for three years do you think they will quibble over a PP. I don't think so

we are players short because of recruiting unsuitable kids. Gysberts & Cook.

Is that the fault of the AFL or the previous Clown School that was running the club.

I wouldn't mind if the AFL said "show some real improvement in 2014 and a PP is yours"

Make the club WORK for it. This is what begins culture. Hard hard work.

It makes so little sense for the AFL to punish us for the incompetence of others.

And the criteria for getting the PP is counterproductive and plain dumb.

Regardless of what we get from the AFL there is no easy street. We are in for hard hard work regardless over a long period.

As PJ has said the problem with MFC is not a hard fix but its not a quick fix.

• Like 2

I also hate the " handout" mentality and the notion of going hat in hand to Dumbetriou and his mates for" charity". However, having said that,we are deep in it I and therefore we need to swallow our pride, take everything we can get and hope this is the last time we find ourselves on [censored] street.

• Like 1

Since when has it become fact that this club 'tanked' or manipulated the system? I keep hearing people say this. John Ralph said MFC was fined for tanking in the 'Collingwood Newsletter' today. I thought the 7 month AFL investigation stated something like MFC did not manipulate match results.

• Like 3

Since when has it become fact that this club 'tanked' or manipulated the system? I keep hearing people say this. John Ralph said MFC was fined for tanking in the 'Collingwood Newsletter' today. I thought the 7 month AFL investigation stated something like MFC did not manipulate match results.

You are in a very select group Giles
  • Like 2

funniest thing is that despite how [censored] we were in 2013 and how [censored] we have been for 7 years, we are in a much better position than Slobbo's beloved Essendope footy club

They finished 9th.

I'm over being the special ed kid. We need to get on our feet our own way. Hand outs - and a culture of expecting the AFL to give us what we [censored] down the drain is killing us. We need to be men about this. We really do. Right now we are teenage dole bludging stoners.

The PP gives clubs a chance to select the very best young talent. That is a competitive advantage over any other team in the comp. Every team is trying to gain any advantage they can and some of you don't want that advantage? You can't be serious. There's no need to be frightened of a PP. We haven't had to tank to receive this one. We're simply rubbish. We're finally getting the staff together that can fully utilise this advantage and ensure we draft and develop this talent properly. I think we should and will get a PP. I will welcome it, because I want my club to have any advantage it can get. If you'd prefer to hamstring your team, so be it.

• Like 4

now that the cat is out of the bag that roos is coming its ironic that its released today that melbourne have requested a PP. this is all carefully staged to show the AFL is following due process.

This PP wouldve been negotiated weeks ago as part of proviso put forward to the AFL by Roos while they were courting him. The Commission "will sit done and decde whether to give the PP", they will hum and hah for a few days then,Presto, MFC gets a PP.

some other clubs will jump up and down but everyone in the know will be fully aware that this is all just part of the show and was decided weeks ago.

Thats my take on it anyway

It's very cute to talk about the CEO as assistance wyl, it loses its cuteness when you realise that CEO has asked for draft assistance.

'We got you a CEO! How dare you allow him to try and make you better!'

[eye roll gif]

Edited by rpfc
  • Like 3

How is it possible to have so many low picks in the draft and spend tens of millions of dollars to produce such a crappy side?

But on the flip side may be it was needed to finally get rid of the deadwood what was stopping the Club from winning another Flag.

All I can say is this club is never dull as there always something to talk about other then a win.

I can just imagine Eddie McGuire and Mick Malthouse sitting down at the end of the 2005 season when their team had strangely lost their last eight games to just fall into a position where they won five games (percentage in the high 70s) which was exactly enough to score them a priority pick.

Eddie: Mick, I know we're entitled to a priority pick but I'm conflicted. By taking advantage of the rule, I think we're doing something that's immoral and unethical. I feel bad about it. We don't really deserve the extra pick and anyway, it won't do anything to help improve the team.

Mick: Eddie, Confucius said that the ox moves slow but the world turns even more slowly. I've sent blokes off to hospital early, played Sav Rocca in the midfield and given games to some spuds who never in a million years deserved to put on the black and white jersey. We've got the chance to pick up two 18 year olds called Thomas and Pendlebury who are going to play in our next premiership team and you want me to give one of them away to Hawthorn? Get outta here.

Eddie: I was only jokin'

• Like 6

I can just imagine Eddie McGuire and Mick Malthouse sitting down at the end of the 2005 season when their team had strangely lost their last eight games to just fall into a position where they won five games (percentage in the high 70s) which was exactly enough to score them a priority pick.

Eddie: Mick, I know we're entitled to a priority pick but I'm conflicted. By taking advantage of the rule, I think we're doing something that's immoral and unethical. I feel bad about it. We don't really deserve the extra pick and anyway, it won't do anything to help improve the team.

Mick: Eddie, Confucius said that the ox moves slow but the world turns even more slowly. I've sent blokes off to hospital early, played Sav Rocca in the midfield and given games to some spuds who never in a million years deserved to put on the black and white jersey. We've got the chance to pick up two 18 year olds called Thomas and Pendlebury who are going to play in our next premiership team and you want me to give one of them away to Hawthorn? Get outta here.

Eddie: I was only jokin'

Like your work.

Some people on here are becoming so conditioned to failure that they want to continue to wallow in it. Can't believe any of you are seriously questioning a PP. Why do you want to impose the MFC's past failings onto Roosy. You don't think he deserves to get every bit of help he can in resurrecting this mess. A traded no.1 PP will deliver us something like a top shelf 23yr old midfielder possibly with an extra player for good measure. For instance a Rory Sloane or a Scott Selwood, etc etc You don't want to get that. You'd rather stay in the pig doo we've been living in and crawl out at glaciel speed. Not me. Not the AFL either, I bet.

Melbourne lodges application for draft help

Club chiefs such as Collingwood's Eddie McGuire, Hawthorn's Andrew Newbold and Carlton's Stephen Kernahan have railed against the allocation of priority picks.

Ironically, all of those clubs have received priority picks in the past decade, with Luke Hodge, Xavier Ellis and Jarryd Roughead all priority selections for the Hawks.

Hypocrites!!!

• Like 1

I don't see why the other clubs should influence the decision in cases like these. The reason why we have an independent commission in the first place is to avoid making decisions based on the self-interest of the individual clubs but rather for the good of the entire competition. The AFL has a rule in place allowing clubs to apply and the MFC duly made the application. The AFL needs to decide on the application without requiring the consent of other clubs who naturally don't want to lose a spot in the draft order and are wary of strengthening an opposing club.
  • Like 2

I'm totally with It's time, Oucher (and other posters who argue along their lines re the PP). If we don't get a PP this year the system should be scrapped. The AFL changed the rules on PP's to ensure there was not an incentive to tank. But one assumes the principle of the PP remains the same. That is it is an important equalization tool.

That clubs or some one like Ross and bloody John would be staggered is just ridiculous. The fact that that we wasted previous picks or somehow don't deserve a PP because we were a basket case is completely immaterial. Stupid to suggest it does.

Give the PP to Melbourne (which by the by i think Roos would have already negotiated with the AFL). Or don't give a PP to the dees and permanently scrap it.)

I'm totally with It's time, Oucher (and other posters who argue along their lines re the PP). If we don't get a PP this year the system should be scrapped. The AFL changed the rules on PP's to ensure there was not an incentive to tank. But one assumes the principle of the PP remains the same. That is it is an important equalization tool.

That clubs or some one like Ross and bloody John would be staggered is just ridiculous. The fact that that we wasted previous picks or somehow don't deserve a PP because we were a basket case is completely immaterial. Stupid to suggest it does.

Give the PP to Melbourne (which by the by i think Roos would have already negotiated with the AFL). Or don't give a PP to the dees and permanently scrap it.)

I think it should be scrapped anyway - but while the scheme exists, I suspect we'll be the beneficiary this year. My suspicion is that we might get something conditional as a form of priority pick, such as the rights to a 17 year old which we can only trade. In that way, this year's draft is not compromised and although it compromises next year's draft, by then everyone will have forgotten.

Good post Binman.

I agree with the sentiment that if our rather appalling situation does not qualify for a PP then no one does

Good post Binman.

I agree with the sentiment that if our rather appalling situation does not qualify for a PP then no one does

And as evidence we deserve it if past decisions are any precedent consider this quote from a Hun article in today's paper (particullarly the number of wins the pies had over a 5 year period compared to ours over a seven year period):

'The AFL's new formula takes into account games won, finals played, and premierships won.
On that score the Demons would deserve an extra pick, although it would likely be contested by rival clubs.
Melbourne has won 34 of 154 games in the past seven years, but received a pre-draft priority pick (Tom Scully) in that time as well as a pick post-Round 1 (Sam Blease). Colin Sylvia (pick 3 in the 2003 national draft) was also a priority pick.
Collingwood had won 52 games in the five years before it got Dale Thomas as a priority selection in the 2005 draft, and West Coast 53 games before Luke Shuey (pick 18) was taken as a priority pick after the first round.
Club chiefs such as Collingwood's Eddie McGuire, Hawthorn's Andrew Newbold and Carlton's Stephen Kernahan have railed against the allocation of priority picks.
Ironically, all of those clubs have received priority picks in the past decade, with Luke Hodge, Xavier Ellis and Jarryd Roughead all priority selections for the Hawks.'