Bombers scandal: charged, <redacted> and <infracted>

Jonesbag

I agree with other posters about not wishing ill against Essendon players particularly in this thread where the focus really should be on the programme instituted by the Essendon Football Club and its servants and agents including Hird and Dank. They should not be allowed to get away with it, nor any player found to have benefitted by taking prohibited drugs. While I am strongly of the opinion that many of their players directly benefitted from their drugs regime (and possibly continue to do so to this very day as a result of its implementation in 2012) some of the comments above are plain stupid. If anything, the Bombers should be congratulated for their fine performance against the reigning premiers. If only, we could be so competitive against the same standard of opposition on a regular basis.

Nice response.

Deleting the post or more particularly the poster would have been much more appropriate IMO.

Btw I've only just seen this totally appalling remark.

Nice response.

Deleting the post or more particularly the poster would have been much more appropriate IMO.

Btw I've only just seen this totally appalling remark.

If there's a totally appalling remark that you'd like to see deleted (or want to complain about a poster), you can report it and the mods will look at it if you like.

13 days to go.

then its pin the drug on the footballer day.

• Like 1

Not if the AFL has its way, I suspect.

I may be reading it the wrong way but the AFL has done some strange things lately which seem to almost undermine the outcome of the ASADA investigation. There was the recent publication of a paper in a British journal based on the interim report from August last year and now this - AFL ushers in new drugs code, officially banning controversial drug AOD-9604.

The AFL's new code seems calculated to serve as a support for the pro Essendon claim that these drugs were legal because their status was uncertain. By stating that AOD9604 is now banned, the AFL is giving credence to that argument because it was unnecessary to do so as WADA has already confirmed the S0 status of AOD.

The AFL has lots of motives for wanting this to go away, not the least of which would be the impact on the competition if infraction notices were served on the players and clubs involved.

• Like 2

Not if the AFL has its way, I suspect.

I may be reading it the wrong way but the AFL has done some strange things lately which seem to almost undermine the outcome of the ASADA investigation..

Of course they want to. its been the mantra all along...i.e minimise the damage to their precious little competition.

They wont win though

"Thursday, April 10, looms as D-Day for the central figure in the most scandalous drugs probe in Australian sport, with the national anti-doping authority's ultimate decision-making body set to make a critical ruling on Stephen Dank."

ASADA ruling on Dank looms

• Like 1

looks like the club is in the clear with AFL re dank

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/melbourne-demons-escape-afl-sanction-over-stephen-danks-role-at-club/story-fni5f91a-1226872780382

JT may still have to answer something with ASADA thou.

still have not got an answer why the abc published melb player names and did not publish essendon player names,

Well he must be mentally weak then cos the Bomber players have been playing well

While I doubt that it is affecting him, he may be feeling a bit lonely whereas at Essendon the heap of guys involved would support each other against the world.

Of course they want to. its been the mantra all along...i.e minimise the damage to their precious little competition.

They wont win though

Their precious little competition?? The AFL acted to protect your competition and did exactly what they are paid to do. Why is it a bad thing that the AFL acts in the best interest of the AFL competition?

You should hope they do win. I want Hird out of the AFL and the EFC to cop their fair whack for doing what the did to the competition. if the players took baned substabces deserve whatever they get.

IMO the AFL have attempted to punish those responsible while at the same time trying minimise the cost and damage the AFL as a whole. Surely thats what we want them to do even though they did not get everything right and made some errors during the process??

still have not got an answer why the abc published melb player names and did not publish essendon player names,

That is an interesting point, considering the outrage by the Essendon people when their players' names were published.

That is an interesting point, considering the outrage by the Essendon people when their players' names were published.

After the 2010 grand final there were reports that six players from each of the competing sides were tested and six from Collingwood were found to have high HGH levels while all of the St. Kilda players had normal levels. Nobody's names were ever published and the report went away.

Their precious little competition?? The AFL acted to protect your competition and did exactly what they are paid to do. Why is it a bad thing that the AFL acts in the best interest of the AFL competition?

You should hope they do win. I want Hird out of the AFL and the EFC to cop their fair whack for doing what the did to the competition. if the players took baned substabces deserve whatever they get.

IMO the AFL have attempted to punish those responsible while at the same time trying minimise the cost and damage the AFL as a whole. Surely thats what we want them to do even though they did not get everything right and made some errors during the process??

no ones above the law.

no ones above the law.

Don't kid yourself Bub. There are myriads of examples in society, even in our so called modern democratic society, of people who for one reason or another find themselves above the law - they just need a good lawyer, accountant or the right contacts. Same applies in the AFL where, over the years there have been plenty of examples of this - take tanking where the practice was widespread for most of the last decade but only one club investigated. Power, wealth and clout remain paramount in this competition where the stronger clubs get commercially beneficial programmes and the weaker get killer draws for which measly compensation is handed out like food at soup kitchens to clubs made to feel like beggars.

This entire saga of the supplement has demonstrated how one club has wielded its power and how through the influence of friends in the media, in politics in other sporting groups and even now I've heard possibly in WADA, there is a lot happening in the background in an effort to sweep under the carpet what has been a flagrant and scandalous doping scandal carried out and conducted by one club that believes it really is above the law and is doing the best it can to get away with it.

• Like 7

Don't kid yourself Bub. There are myriads of examples in society, even in our so called modern democratic society, of people who for one reason or another find themselves above the law - they just need a good lawyer, accountant or the right contacts. Same applies in the AFL where, over the years there have been plenty of examples of this - take tanking where the practice was widespread for most of the last decade but only one club investigated. Power, wealth and clout remain paramount in this competition where the stronger clubs get commercially beneficial programmes and the weaker get killer draws for which measly compensation is handed out like food at soup kitchens to clubs made to feel like beggars.

This entire saga of the supplement has demonstrated how one club has wielded its power and how through the influence of friends in the media, in politics in other sporting groups and even now I've heard possibly in WADA, there is a lot happening in the background in an effort to sweep under the carpet what has been a flagrant and scandalous doping scandal carried out and conducted by one club that believes it really is above the law and is doing the best it can to get away with it.

and that makes them above it ???

Not a bit...mean they got off. There is a difference

Well, haven't Asada taught them a lesson they wont forget. If they had have known what the outcome would be, I'm sure the Bombers would have brought on the horse steroids and hired Lance Armstrong's chemist. Same result really.

How did they get off... youve just written how !!

or did I miss something ?

• Like 1