Bombers scandal: charged, <redacted> and <infracted>

Jonesbag

Pardon my ignorance but am I right to assume that if an anti-obesity drug was used, it was for purposes other than curing obesity?

I mean I don't see many Fat Alberts running around the MFC or any other clubs and Mick "The Galloping Gasometer" Nolan hasn't been around for quite a while.

One of the "experts" on the '730 Report' alluded to it being beneficial to muscle mass. Not sure how that applies to Trengove or whether it has other properties.

Growth hormone variants

The ACC report identified the use of Australian-owned growth hormone variant AOD-9604 in sport.

The protein-based hormone helps burn fat and stimulates weight loss, though does not necessarily enhance muscle strength.

Clinical trials have suggested it also helps repair muscle and tissue after strenuous activity.

AOD-9604, used as a cream or injected in liquid form, is not prohibited by WADA but is also not approved for human use.

Just because it isnt on the banned list doesnt make it legal.

WADA and ASADA can deem substances illegal if it can be proven that the reason they were taken was for enhancing on field performance, and they do infact enhance on field performance.

maybe high altitude training should be band as well....

What I find confusing is that it was neither banned nor approved when the alleged injections took place - yet players may face bans after the fact. Does that mean that I can expect speeding fines for all those times I was driving 100kph on the Monash before the resident bean counters reduced it to 80? Is this the type of logic WADA/ASADA operates on?

As an aside - wouldn't it be great to be a part of an anti doping agency? You're accountable to nobody and if you fail to catch cheats you can just put your hand out for squillions of dollars worth of govt/taxpayer money.

The key is that it wasn't approved for human use. It seems that automatically that makes it a banned substance under WADA rules.

• Like 3

It would seem to be North Melbourne and Caroline Wilson will think all of her Christmases will have come at once.

Thinks she hates us? Thinks she hates Essendon? It's nothing compared to her feeling towards the Kangaroos and Brayshaw in particular.

That's what happens when she reports something like moving to GC as a done deal and then it fails to come to fruition!

It's sooooooo obviously personal for her. Very unprofessional and totally disproportionate to the facts (or should I say, lack of facts). No accountability and no apologies when she is either proven wrong, or the claim on an outcome does not eventuate.

If I behaved like that in my job, I'd be absolutely ashamed........and very soon unemployed.

It's sooooooo obviously personal for her. Very unprofessional and totally disproportionate to the facts (or should I say, lack of facts). No accountability and no apologies when she is either proven wrong, or the claim on an outcome does not eventuate.

If I behaved like that in my job, I'd be absolutely ashamed........and very soon unemployed.

It is all about ratings Moonshadow

The Sports media is not about truth and justice.

You need to get your mind into the 21st Century.

The key is that it wasn't approved for human use. It seems that automatically that makes it a banned substance under WADA rules.

Is that actually true?

Can anyone provide a link to reputable web site to substantiate this?

My understanding that everything Trengove got from the pharmacy was based on a prescription from Dr Bates.

I am concerned that it is not approved for human use.

Is that actually true?

Can anyone provide a link to reputable web site to substantiate this?

My understanding that everything Trengove got from the pharmacy was based on a prescription from Dr Bates.

I am concerned that it is not approved for human use.

http://playtrue.wada-ama.org/news/wada-statement-on-substance-aod-9604/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=wada-statement-on-substance-aod-9604

Following a number of inquiries regarding the substance AOD-9604 available on the Internet ‘black market’ and possibly elsewhere, WADA has issued the following statement:

AOD-9604 is a substance still under pre-clinical and clinical development and has not been approved for therapeutic use by any government health authority in the world.

Therefore, under the 2013 Prohibited Substances and Methods List, the substance falls into the S.0 category which states:

“S0. NON-APPROVED SUBSTANCES

Any pharmacological substance which is not addressed by any of the subsequent sections of the List and with no current approval by any governmental regulatory health authority for human therapeutic use (e.g drugs under pre-clinical or clinical development or discontinued, designer drugs, substances approved only for veterinary use) is prohibited at all times.”

For more advice and information regarding medication or supplements, athletes are advised to contact their national anti-doping organization or international federation.

It is all about ratings Moonshadow

The Sports media is not about truth and justice.

You need to get your mind into the 21st Century.

I guess I'm just an old fashioned kinda guy, Old.

Integrity, honour and fairness.

I guess I'm just an old fashioned kinda guy, Old.

Integrity, honour and fairness.

Me too Moonshadow our problem is we expect everyone to live by the same code.

Unfortunately we are in the minority in 2013

• Like 1

It is important to note that it is the AFL's 'Anti Doping Code' that is the document that is relevant to any AFL doping investigations. The AFL employs ASADA to investigate and in the code, the AFL commits to following ASADA recommendations.

On the whole, the AFL's code is very close to WADA's regulations but there are a couple of small differences. One key difference relates to the use of intravenous infusions. WADA stipulates that intravenous infusions can be administered up to 50ml. The AFL code simply states that they 'are prohibited except for those legitimately received in the course of hospital admissions or clinical investigations'.

Edited by Brian Wilson

Pardon my ignorance but am I right to assume that if an anti-obesity drug was used, it was for purposes other than curing obesity?

I mean I don't see many Fat Alberts running around the MFC or any other clubs and Mick "The Galloping Gasometer" Nolan hasn't been around for quite a while.

it sounds, I imagine, like it may help with skinfolds & just maybe turning carbs into muscle, rather than fat reserves? Which possibly means you could consume more calories, & put on muscle, rather than Fat, I guess?

Growth hormone variants

The ACC report identified the use of Australian-owned growth hormone variant AOD-9604 in sport.

The protein-based hormone helps burn fat and stimulates weight loss, though does not necessarily enhance muscle strength.

Clinical trials have suggested it also helps repair muscle and tissue after strenuous activity.

AOD-9604, used as a cream or injected in liquid form, is not prohibited by WADA but is also not approved for human use.

neither would German calves blood be, injected into torn muscles,,, overseas. is Stevie J in trouble as well?

I didn't see Fishermans Friends on the list.

And why the hell do they take caffeine tablets and drink sh!t loads of energy drinks before the game if they don't enhance performance somehow? I recently got to know a ex AFL player who had been on 3 club lists of late and he said NO ONE who plays AFL does not take something (he was talking so-called legal stuff) to get them up and about for a game. Maybe I'm just a bit ignorant, but if it did not enhance the performance, why would they take it?

I wondered the exact same thing WJ.

Can anyone tell us how this is supposed to help an elite athlete ?

Try this link http://www.peptidelabs.com/aod9604.html

(They say) increases muscle mass so I am not surprised that it is a WADA no-no.

neither would German calves blood be, injected into torn muscles,,, overseas. is Stevie J in trouble as well?

Googled calf blood WADA and found this in the result:

Actovegin

The drug Actovegin was initially licensed for intravenous use to improve cellular oxygen transport to tissues in patients with arterial disease. As a gel or cream it is also used to treat slow-healing skin lesions such as burns or skin-grafted wounds. In recent years it has gained notoriety for its use by elite cyclists as a performance-enhancing drug, with the consequence that the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) has banned its use in competition.

Actovegin is a protein-free derivative of calf’s blood, rich in electrolytes, trace elements and various organic components. It improves tissue uptake and use of glucose and oxygen; hence it can be used to improve the oxygenation and energy supply to muscles after injury. Patients receiving Actovegin injections for muscle injury resumed full sporting activity in a clinically significant reduced timescale when compared with placebo(5). Actovegin may thus be used to accelerate the healing of muscle injuries acquired through trauma or overuse.

I don't understand how there could not be clarity of what is and isn't banned. One would assume that Bates would be putting his medical license in jeopordy by overseeing the use of substances not yet approved for humans. Either everything is above board, or there have been some bloody stupid decisions made by the doctor.

I don't think 'the phamacy' is your local Amcal chemist.

From the reports being a compounding pharmacy in south yarra then it's more than likely the one in the como centre on Toorak Rd. don't know of any others.