• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Watts waiting on coaching appointment

Balls

I think it a good idea we wait till the end of the season to see if we want to make him an offer

over to you jack, play well we offer contract, play bad and we look for a trade

simple really

Or he walks into the PSD...

Anyway, Jack won't be going anywhere.

Edited by AdamFarr

Where does it say in the article that Watts will only re-sign if he approves of the new coach?

What's that?.... oh, it doesn't.

"We're going to wait until there is a coach in place" - which Jackson has said will be at the end of the season. Of course he'll take his time and try and bump up his price. All other 'opinions' in the article are that of Jake Niall, and we all know how trustworthy and fact-finding the senior footy writers are at The Age.

Lets not jump to wild conclusions.

Bump up his price?! Moon tell one club that will over pay or pay more than Melb for him let alone a contending club. I'd be very surprised if many clubs let alone a finals club had interest in him let alone paying more than us who need to pay players overs to met the salary cap.

I have heard from a good source that Jack is holding out because he is disappointed that, although he has improved and is showing glimpses of being a future star of the game he still hasn't made it onto the Demonland banner. :P

Oh no jack, that be a curse, a curse too great for thee ta handle.

I'm not sure what the fuss is. If I was Jack, I'd want to sit with the coach and say "what are your plans for me? What position do you think you will play me?". Jack would have an idea of what he enjoys and he had been shuffled around. I wouldn't blame him from wanting someone with a solid vision.

Also, if seems obvious he didn't get on with Neeld but loves Craig. I don't mind him waiting to make sure we dont get a Neeld clone personality wise.

• Like 5

I don't begrudge any player waiting until a coach is appointed in order to consider his options. The coach is probably the most fundamental single influencer on whether and how the player will develop, and the extent of success the player will likely enjoy.

For what it's worth, I don't even begrudge any player wishing to leave the demons for greener pastures. If it were my career, I would.

Who the F... , does he think he is?

A player whose contract is up for renewal and who has options elsewhere, unlike most of the other players on our list.

We need to retain him. And Sylvia.

Get Choco Williams. He's a players coach.

Edited by Ron Burgundy

The only quote - which is from his manager and not Watts himself - just says they're waiting for a coaching appointment. It says absolutely nothing of the sort regarding threats to walk. But by all means, jump the gun, accuse him blackmail, call him names etc.

Not to mention the fact hat it is most likely the manager, not Watts, who has recommended that he wait.

• Like 2

I can understand why he would wait till the new appointment but I don't think its the best strategy on behalf of his manager to say it out loud - should have just stuck with the whole I'm focusing on the rest of the season and my footy... just makes his client look like a selfish, ungrateful [censored].

• Like 1

But what if our new coach is waiting on Jack Watts to sign? Then we'd be in a right pickle.

• Like 2

I can understand why he would wait till the new appointment but I don't think its the best strategy on behalf of his manager to say it out loud - should have just stuck with the whole I'm focusing on the rest of the season and my footy... just makes his client look like a selfish, ungrateful [censored].

Thats Paul Connors for you. The guy is an absolute snake.

• Like 2

After watching Saturday's game just did it for me - he can go. The ball barely came into our forward line but even when it did and it was a 50/50 contest to keep it in our 50, his chase and 2nd efforts were appalling. He should've had so much energy to run and chase but was his usual laconic self. Enough. Time to go.

Where does it say in the article that Watts will only re-sign if he approves of the new coach?

What's that?.... oh, it doesn't.

The thing is its a logical conclusion.

If there was no difference to the outcome then he might as well just sign surely. By inference it DOES say he will decide upon which coach. That in itself I have no problems with,not really. I also concur with the sentiment that had this group played with more heart and verve then we would nt be in the semi perennial situation.

The lads entitled to consider his workplace and such. We are also at liberty to wonder if we're the best fit for him also. Im seriously starting to wonder. In general I rate him , but its high time he delivered . Glimpses etc dont bode well for such posturing.

If we're handed a PP Id be worried Jackie

If he goes I will not be too disapointed and I believe he will. We can't afford to be patient anymore with his type even though he may still turn out a handy player. His only bargaining chip is his No 1 status which seems to have some magical influence over the football community. So we will have to pay overs for the steadily diminishing hope that he will live up to his No 1 status.

Edited by america de cali

It is a fair enough call, funny we win a game he comes out saying he wants to stay at Melbourne, we get thumped and he wants to hold off talks.

I'm happy for Jack to stay and hope he does but if he doesn't he still has good trade value. Carlton can have him for Chis Yarren and a swap of our Third round pick for there second, I would take this. Fremantle, I would be pushing for straight swap for Mundy.

• Like 1

It is a fair enough call, funny we win a game he comes out saying he wants to stay at Melbourne, we get thumped and he wants to hold off talks.

I'm happy for Jack to stay and hope he does but if he doesn't he still has good trade value. Carlton can have him for Chis Yarren and a swap of our Third round pick for there second, I would take this. Fremantle, I would be pushing for straight swap for Mundy.

Based on output and value Mundy is worth at least 2 Watts. He is already a made player at his peak and essential for their tilt at the flag. Watts is only worth a nor here nor yet there player. Yarran and some juggling of picks as you say is a more likely deal. Edited by america de cali

After watching Saturday's game just did it for me - he can go. The ball barely came into our forward line but even when it did and it was a 50/50 contest to keep it in our 50, his chase and 2nd efforts were appalling. He should've had so much energy to run and chase but was his usual laconic self. Enough. Time to go.

He should stop worrying about whether or not he'll be playing in a winning side and start doing his best so that we can become a winning side. Then he'll have actually achieved something.

• Like 2

After listening to what Jackson said on The Couch the other night, where he revealed that the club had stuffed up the development of all our recent top draft picks, and that we just expected them to help revive the club without investing much into their development, I am not surprised that Watts might wait to see who is appointed coach before signing. If we have failed he and other recent draft picks with their development of course he would like to see if we appoint someone who is going to help get the best out of him and the team.

Players like Watts have never been part of a successful winning team. Our club has had a poor culture, got rid of our best leaders too early (Jnr McDonald, Brad Green) and proven to be all show and little substance from the top, with an obscene amount of instability thanks to the continual sacking of coaches. If he had a club like Sydney or Geelong, or even to some extent Carlton, of course he would consider moving. Those clubs could potentially have more to offer any player, from a success standpoint, than ours at the moment.

If this club wants success, and we know that the players want it, then the coaching appointment is vital. Totally understand this view from Watts, even if I really wish he'd just sign already.

• Like 3

Watts' time at Melbourne:

1. First game is played out like the second coming of Christ. He is introduced over the loudspeaker as the team runs out onto the field. He has absolutely mauled by a pack of lions.

2. He struggles to make an impact under Mr No-Accountability Bailey.

3. The club's CEO and football department cause a rift with the playing group.

4. Bailey is sacked.

5. Neeld is instated. He throws Watts down back to get easy possessions.

6. Club is belted almost every week from late-2011 to the present day.

7. Second coach in his short career is sacked.

Watts clearly has very little faith in the club, and I don't blame him. The only thing valuable about Watts is his potential, and it's more the club's fault than his. Potential is enough to get you an average league salary. Unless you're Tom Scully.

The guy wants to know who his coach will be. Why commit to a club that has failed so spectacularly to guide you through your employment? Why stay there under the uncertainty of another poor decision when you can bolt to play under Mick Malthouse, who provided more of a shoulder than anyone at the club at Watts' lowest point in his career?

Some people need to wake up and smell the roses.

The problem isn't Watts.

• Like 9

Watts seems like a smart lad, and while we have mismanaged him at times due to poor coaching decisions on our part i am sure he understands the level of faith we put into him choosing him at pick one, we have been very patient with him.

i'm sure if he goes we would be able to get something for him but i can't see him going anywhere, it's vital to the culture we're trying to build that we hang on to players like this, hanging onto Wattsy, Chippa and col would be a huge step in the right direction for us.

As i am very confident next year our coach will be one of Roos or Choco i can't see any player having any real objections.

Edited by Demonfan26

My Problem is not if Watt wants to Stay or Go that is his decision .

A decision he has to make privately on how he feels taking into account how things will affect him personally at the club in the future

What my real issue with Watts is he goes Public on these Issues and creates more concerns than solutions as to where our club is at and what its Future is

Lets Face it on Watts current Performances you wouldn't exactly say they are worthy of weekly recognition let alone legendary status .

Watts is to me beginning to look more and more like a "Real Prima donna."

Jack is doing himself no Favours by this type of Approach and if anyone is advising him that this is the way to go then they need the riot act read to them too

Watts needs to be told to pull his head in.

Concentrate on Improving his football , become more of a team player and put his head down over the ball and show as all that he can really play football not just when it suits him to do so but consistently as a valued member of the MFC club team and lead by his actions on field rather than his mouth off field.

Skilled player that lacks a true competitive spirit.

May be the best thing for the club and the player to explore options. I won't lose sleep over it.

Edited by dandeeman
  • Like 1

Skilled player that lacks a true competitive spirit.

May be the best thing for the club and the player to explore options. I won't lose sleep over it.

I wish i could share this attitude, i just know it would be our luck though that we would trade him for a good player, they'd do nothing and he would become an absolute superstar somewhere else

My Problem is not if Watt wants to Stay or Go that is his decision .

A decision he has to make privately on how he feels taking into account how things will affect him personally at the club in the future

What my real issue with Watts is he goes Public on these Issues and creates more concerns than solutions as to where our club is at and what its Future is

Lets Face it on Watts current Performances you wouldn't exactly say they are worthy of weekly recognition let alone legendary status .

Watts is to me beginning to look more and more like a "Real Prima donna."

Jack is doing himself no Favours by this type of Approach and if anyone is advising him that this is the way to go then they need the riot act read to them too

Watts needs to be told to pull his head in.

Concentrate on Improving his football , become more of a team player and put his head down over the ball and show as all that he can really play football not just when it suits him to do so but consistently as a valued member of the MFC club team and lead by his actions on field rather than his mouth off field.

"He goes public". I think you'll find it is his manager who is going public to a) drum up any interest in him and b) to try and raise his price. I do hope option c) is Dees tell he, no worries Mr Manager he can head off to greener pastures if you like.

I think it would be best for Watts to find a new footy home, where he can "develop" further as I just don't see in him what MFC currently needs. That is not a slight on him, more a slight on MFc and the position we are in and our lack of development of players/or selecting the wrong player.

Edited by Cards13