WELCOME TO DEMONLAND - PAUL ROOS

timmyo64

What worries me is the increasing amount of expectation building up simply because of Roos. Getting him is a great coup, but he is the not the fix-all. He is one component in a matrix that needs to be built tile by tile by the Board / CEO.

New CEO - check.

New president - check

Complete Board re-shuffle - ongoing.

Appoint coach - ongoing

Appoint assistant coaches - open

Appoint captain - open.

Re-structure business model / finance sources

Engage new, long term, dedicated main sponsor.

Re-engage membership - open

• Like 1

Our beloved Greg Denham thinks it's all wrapped up:

"Melbourne, which plays its final game for the season tomorrow against the Western Bulldogs, is working towards announcing Roos at Thursday night's best-and-fairest award function ...

... The Australian understands Roos has a package of former and present Sydney associates ready to head to the Demons, including highly respected assistant coach George Stone, who will head up a new Melbourne development program, which is a priority for the club.

As well, premiership defender Tadhg Kennelly is expected to join Roos as an assistant coach.

Roos' current contract with Fox Footy expires at the end of the current season."

See Paul Roos close to signing $2m deal to coach Melbourne Demons

This is about the only thing I like coming out of that grubs mouth and pen.

This is about the only thing I like coming out of that grubs mouth and pen.

Must have killed him to write it, knowing the wheels are about to turn at the MFC

Im sure he will stick the boot in anyway

On the contrary.

We'd be better off with low-profile competent people who just get the job done, setting the footy dept up to succeed.

Profile is largely irrelevant.

Do you know much about Colin Carter? Any others on the Geelong board?

What about Sydney's board members beside Colless?

They just get the job done with a minimum of fuss.

Profile is important to this club for the next few years. Not bells and whistles profile i agree. But profile with respect.

We are that far back.

Sheehan is an MFC supporter, no longer in full time employment who as chief HUN footy writer would have a contact list the size of a phone book.

Yes the board needs to function smoothly in the background, but that doesn't mean high profile people cannot be on the card.

All the journos have stories now, but not one had any hint of this development.

Good, cos the club no longer leaks, and cos jounos are playing catch up.

BTW I'm so excited!!!

Best news for the MFC since the result of the 1964 grandfinal !

• Like 1

Has anyone got a link to the broadcast on 3AW where they were discussing Roos?

http://www.3aw.com.au/podcasts Half Way down 3AW Football Preview you can listen to it online or download the entire show (apprx 36mb) the Roos discussion happens at the 22.10 mark.

Edited by FerdDaDee
  • Like 3

I really don't see how this news can be considered anything other than positive.

Whilst it is only one part of a larger puzzle, to me it's one of the largest pieces, and one off which most others can fall into place.

Roos' signature may attract FAs or uncontracted players. He may help bring us quality assistant coaches. His influence on the current list will be felt immediately.

We will also have the benefit for once of time - Roos having the runs on the board means we're not all going to jump up and call for him to be sacked if/when we open 2014 with losses.

Stability - through Roos, Bartlett, PJ and other important acquisitions (GMFO, for example), will help this club to no end.

• Like 7

Maybe the best and fairest wouldnt be so bad after all if they announce that roos would be the new coach.

If we do get him to coach us then some thanks must go to Andrew D for getting Peter Jackson to our club as CEO then PJ for making great decisions and going straight after the big gun.

West Coast frighten me. I need them to sign Warsfold already!

relax, Roos isn't a tease... its not how he operates. he made it public deliberately that brisbane was out of bounds for a reason.. to stop that speculation of any lions pressure, for him.

its over the line, unless we get cheap on him.

... he has to be able to get the changes required, to get this club to prosper,,,, & undo all the things that have stopped it growing into its potential, over the journey of a half century... & more, Pre "Checker".

What worries me is the increasing amount of expectation building up simply because of Roos. Getting him is a great coup, but he is the not the fix-all. He is one component in a matrix that needs to be built tile by tile by the Board / CEO.

New CEO - check.

New president - check

Complete Board re-shuffle - ongoing.

Appoint coach - ongoing

Appoint assistant coaches - open

Appoint captain - open.

Re-structure business model / finance sources

Engage new, long term, dedicated main sponsor.

Re-engage membership - open

Is this a job application ?

Can you provide references?

I would like to see Peter Jackson standing on the flight deck of a aircraft carrier under a banner that reads MISSION ACCOMPLISED. Damn I have seen that somewhere before.

I would like to see George Bush stand in the central park of Baghdad,,, with an American flag draped over him, & make the call again, Mission Accomplished...

• Like 1

Mate of mine watching ABC coverage of Collingwood v Port Melb says that it was announced that Roos has signed with Melbourne. I didn't hear it personally, and this mate is about as reliable as a chocolate teapot.... but still...! Anyone else hear it?

• Like 2

well i'll call it

Welcome to the Melbourne Demons Paul Roos .

Make us into a team worthy of our jumper , our heritage , our sufferance and persevering hope.

We dont expect miracles but a competitive team is the bar.

Do what you do and do it well.

Go Dees.

• Like 4

maybe Angus was using this opportunity as a way of leveraging the change he wanted to achieve, to sack a loved son,,, in a way, his supporters could go for... but the change was what he really wanted???

lets send those dollars to the footy dept to sort our list issues, or other than that, to the Fred Hollows foundation?

Good call to give sight to the blind

• Like 1

I hate to be a wet blanket here but I think many of us are vastly over-anticipating what Roos is going to do for us. If it was 1991 and we had 22 of him it would be a different story! The fact remains we have major list problems. By my count we have 7 genuine footballers and a bunch of hopefuls, and a staggering number of aloso-rans like Tapscott and Strauss who seem to have no 'special' quality for any coach to unlock. The 05/06 grand final teams that Roos coached had Kirk, Goodes, Hall, Barry, O'Keefe, Bolton, Buchanan, Kennelly, McVeigh, Crouch etc. It remains to be seen to what extent they were a successful team because of Roos himself. We certainly do not have a group anything like that at this moment in time.

Of course it is a big step in the right direction but let's not get carried away and raise expectations too high, particularly early on. He still needs to rebuild his list, instill a new gameplan and mould the players into the team he wants, erasing years of bad habits in a group with zero confidence and very little heart. For one thing I don't see how he can 'fix' the issue that we have a list full of blokes that make outrageously bad skill errors with staggering consistency. What could of course make a big immmediate impact is if Roos' signature creates the opportunity for us to draft in an established quality midfielder or two. However, I for one will be looking at 3-4 years from now in a team headlined by Viney and Hogan for any genuine on-field results... (but you never know...!)

• Like 1

I hate to be a wet blanket here but I think many of us are vastly over-anticipating what Roos is going to do for us. If it was 1991 and we had 22 of him it would be a different story! The fact remains we have major list problems. By my count we have 7 genuine footballers and a bunch of hopefuls, and a staggering number of aloso-rans like Tapscott and Strauss who seem to have no 'special' quality for any coach to unlock. The 05/06 grand final teams that Roos coached had Kirk, Goodes, Hall, Barry, O'Keefe, Bolton, Buchanan, Kennelly, McVeigh, Crouch etc. It remains to be seen to what extent they were a successful team because of Roos himself. We certainly do not have a group anything like that at this moment in time.

Of course it is a big step in the right direction but let's not get carried away and raise expectations too high, particularly early on. He still needs to rebuild his list, instill a new gameplan and mould the players into the team he wants, erasing years of bad habits in a group with zero confidence and very little heart. For one thing I don't see how he can 'fix' the issue that we have a list full of blokes that make outrageously bad skill errors with staggering consistency. What could of course make a big immmediate impact is if Roos' signature creates the opportunity for us to draft in an established quality midfielder or two. However, I for one will be looking at 3-4 years from now in a team headlined by Viney and Hogan for any genuine on-field results... (but you never know...!)

I hate to be a wet blanket on your wet blanket, but Roos hasn't signed yet.

• Like 2