McLardy is completely out of touch

Dees2014

I say two things to this thread.....

The board needs to go but WHO is standing up to drive the club forward?? Its pathetic that we need Kennet to calling for Board change. thats how much passion has been sucked from this club. Very few seem to give a stuff because they have been treated like a mangy dog - being kicked around for months and years and pretty soon all fight is gone. They stand whimpering in the corner. Thats how this club feels to me. It will show affection for anyone that gives it a pat.

Secondly, we have already had a big review. It was called the Andrews report. It was shelved because no-one liked it and it told too many home truths. Largely (from my understanding) about CSchwab and Connolly and how they "allegedly" undermined Bailey. Now I don't know the truth of any of that but it sure as hell was like a nuclear explosion at this club.

Jackson is nobody's puppet and so some good may come of it but it will probably be another shiitfight.

I don't know much but I know this. When you have cancer you to cut it all out otherwise you are a goner. We didn't cut it out last time. Hopefully it aint too late.

• Like 5

I know it is a hard time for all supporters but we will have to trust PJ to place his stamp on the club I believe that the review will be hard as he will not put up with dummy results, this club as I have stated before has been dysfunctional for many years all past boards have made the same mistakes over and over again because they have never understood how and a football club is supposed to be run. With PJ the now and future will know exactly what is required of them and their role within the club.

• Like 1

Glad Garry Lyon is going well in the media and his time is filled with $$$$ activities.

Funny how the fattest head on TV manages to run Ch.9 , host that stupid show, make dumb morning comments etc and still fit Collingwood into his life.

Brayshaw too.

Lyon- you are such a vain country bogan you now make me ill.

• Like 1

I say two things to this thread.....

The board needs to go but WHO is standing up to drive the club forward?? Its pathetic that we need Kennet to calling for Board change. thats how much passion has been sucked from this club. Very few seem to give a stuff because they have been treated like a mangy dog - being kicked around for months and years and pretty soon all fight is gone. They stand whimpering in the corner. Thats how this club feels to me. It will show affection for anyone that gives it a pat.

Secondly, we have already had a big review. It was called the Andrews report. It was shelved because no-one liked it and it told too many home truths. Largely (from my understanding) about CSchwab and Connolly and how they "allegedly" undermined Bailey. Now I don't know the truth of any of that but it sure as hell was like a nuclear explosion at this club.

Jackson is nobody's puppet and so some good may come of it but it will probably be another shiitfight.

I don't know much but I know this. When you have cancer you to cut it all out otherwise you are a goner. We didn't cut it out last time. Hopefully it aint too late.

Well said Jnr.

Jimmy almost got this club sorted. But he couldn't be here long enough.

Fcuk he tried hard enough.

Hope to see Jeff at Demonland.

McLardy's comments about Victoria didn't want Jeff is bitchiness and to say he bleeds brown and gold is stupid,some players currently supported other club prior to embarking on a MFC career.

If people don't like their president show emotions of displeasure in a loud way then those people should bug off. Sitting back waiting for things to happen generally doesn't,the movers and shakers in the world does.

Hope to see Jeff at Demonland.

McLardy's comments about Victoria didn't want Jeff is bitchiness and to say he bleeds brown and gold is stupid,some players currently supported other club prior to embarking on a MFC career.

If people don't like their president show emotions of displeasure in a loud way then those people should bug off. Sitting back waiting for things to happen generally doesn't,the movers and shakers in the world does.

Wayne ,

Your post was pretty eloquent except the part that didn't make sense was not really in proper English and the stupid part of it was basically the bulk of the content .

Wayne ,

Your post was pretty eloquent except the part that didn't make sense was not really in proper English and the stupid part of it was basically the bulk of the content .

And it still added more to the conversation than your effort.

I am with you.

If the reporting of Don McLardy's Presidential Queen's Birthday speech is correct, then it explains a lot about why we are in the mess we are in.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/mclardy-slams-kennett-20130610-2o07l.html

When is anyone in this club going to take responsibility for anything? Not soon clearly according to the current president. Apparently, the current board are incredibly passionate about the Demons, are really good, competent people, and it will all come right in the end...

Well I am sorry, but if any Board I had anything to do with had delivered the results the current one had over the last five years, then they would all be out on their heads, and most professional board members would see that as fair enough. THEY HAVE FAILED SPECTACULARLY.

Where are the passionate, professional people amongst demon supporters? If a board had failed so spectacularly at Collingwood, Essendon, Hawthorn, Sydney, or Carlton, there would have been a number of rival bids from passionate, high powered supporters desperate to turn things around and to roll the current incompetents.

Instead, it is left to Jeff Kennett, a Hawthorn supporter, to make the running. Personally, I would much much prefer the professionalism and ruthlessness of a Kennett bid, than the weak kneed, amateur-hour that is our current Board.

When are the current group going to take some responsibility. No time soon clearly. TIME TO TURF THEM OUT.

I am heartily sick of this farce.

If you are too, let's join a movement o do something about it.

Thanks for the apology but you don't need to, as you and I know each other well enough to know, that we wouldn't intentionally offend the other.

I believe that as I said Don will stand down and I think others will too. I don't think all of them need to go as we may lose some real talent. For example what if 3-4 talented board members were against all of the bad decisions, raised arguments for their views but were simply outvoted, Do you suggest they should go?

As for the Gardiner Board they stepped aside for another Board, that was ready to take their place and made up of on the face of it, by some pretty impressive people and headed by a former Demon great.

Yes the Gardiner Board could have refused to go and fought an election. Who do you think would have won that fight? Maybe they saw the writing on the wall and did the right thing.

At the moment I don't see another ticket of impressive people ( MFC members ) offering to lead the club. Why are you criticizing the current board for not abandoning their posts when there is no alternative ready to take over? I don't understand that position. Only a coward or quitter runs away. It would be different if a viable alternative was ready willing and able, that is not the case.

To be perfectly honest, other than perhaps someone like Kennett, I don't give a damn who runs this club. All I want is a competitive football team to watch. I haven't got one.

I was close to tears on monday. I actually went to the fence and shouted at umpire number 6 from about 4 feet away over the Watts free kick which robbed us of any impetus and led to the onslaught of Pie goals. I have never done that before. Incidentally the umpire turned to me and shrugged as if to say he made a mistake. Mc Burney just smiled. This is what this debacle is doing to me.

I am devastated at the poor decisions, made by my club that has led us to this calamity. None more so than BP. I can't believe again I am saying this, but I actually feel like I hate the guy. That is not my usual character.

I feel for every supporter of our club. I understand every angry Demonlander venting their spleen. They have every right to do so.

I feel sorry for my kids. My son is a fanatic beyond belief and I actually believe he would make a better President than most we have had recently.

I feel sorry for my wife who WAS in tears over what has happened to us. Our family is but one of many that has given and invested so much into this club over so many years.

You know me well and you would know how much this hurts me, but I actually told my Pies supporting son in law, that he could join my 2 grand daughters up as Pies members, so that they could have a chance of success with their team. They will however probably be members of both clubs.

I wish I could cuddle Jaded who I have never met and tell her hang on, don't give up we will come good. I wish I could cheer up Old Dee and Why You Little. I wish I could make Stuie and JnrMac happy. I wish I could do something to make us better.

What we must all do however, is not eat our own. I accept that the mistakes are just that, not deliberate.

We must pray for PJ that he gets it right and that he screws the AFL for everything he can get.

We must just keep faith in our club and when we are successful, we will enjoy it like nothing else, because of our suffering and we will tell the rest of the AFL footy world to go to hell, we are back.

Redleg, this is the most eloquent post I have read on here in a long time. I agree with almost everything in it, and I hope every poster reads it.

• Like 1

Very few seem to give a stuff because they have been treated like a mangy dog - being kicked around for months and years and pretty soon all fight is gone. They stand whimpering in the corner. Thats how this club feels to me. It will show affection for anyone that gives it a pat.

I really like this analogy here jnrmac (and I hope you don't mind me stealing it for another time). In this case however I don't agree with it.

All see the mangy dog but few notice the bone he has and even less know he will rip there arm off if someone tries to take it.

That's how I feel towards the MFC, its mine, I love it, always will. No one will take it from me.

In looking at other comments in this thread, I still struggle with the idea of how changing the board will have any effect on us climbing the ladder.

I said this in another thread, without Dicker before Kennett and the fortunate time they had high picks (netting a star leader in Hodge and a marketers dream in Franklin) I doubt Hawthorn would be anywhere near where they are now.

Other than picking the coach, which in hindsight we shanked, I don't understand how Jeff Kennett or anyone else could get us more wins. More times than not he is driving Hawthorn players/coaches/supporter insane with some of the trash coming out of his mouth.

And it still added more to the conversation than your effort.

Thanks Chucky ,

Whilst some consider inviting Jeff Kennet down to our internet forum might add to the conversation ,which is something I always encourage ,I find it better to give people like Enyaw some guidance on basic grammar so that their point may be more widely read ,whatever that point is .

I am pretty aware that our former premier might like to throw his considerable nose into the running of the board but I was unsure ,up until now ,that he had planted his"intelligentsia" on this very site .Your presence here ,and the clandestine Wayne(whose cover I have blown by spelling his name forwards) are proof that Jeff has thrown his best men at this with a view to complete board domination.Such a well planned and executed offensive effort is worthy of Robert McNamara and Henry Kissinger in their heyday.

Mighty Post Redleg. Thanks..we must all share some beers soon once the wins commence.

Not a bad idea, might improve some of the debate on here too! Could be during an interstate match at the Bentley or Leighoak clubs.

• Like 1

I just think it's an insult to say they are having a review and a Board member will carry it out. I think one of the major reasons they failed is their lack of understanding of governance and independence and the decision to get Trotter to evaluate them shows they've learned nothing.

BB I agree if you were evaluating the Board as a whole, you would do it through an Independent review.

However if you wished to evaluate the individual members performance and suitability to continue, as I asked you earlier, how do you suggest an Independent review could possibly achieve this?

On the other hand, do you just assume every member is useless and chuck the lot?

I said this in the Kennett thread - what makes everyone think that just because Kennett is out there screaming "look at me!!" that there aren't impressive Demons going to a clearly disengaging McLardy and offering support and their involvement?

You can have real change and not have a rival ticket - this isn't a two-party system.

We are on the same side and we will have real change. Without the need for a bloodbath.

We removed Gardner with a nod and an agreement.

Renewal for 2014 will happen in a similar fashion.

I said this in the Kennett thread - what makes everyone think that just because Kennett is out there screaming "look at me!!" that there aren't impressive Demons going to a clearly disengaging McLardy and offering support and their involvement?

You can have real change and not have a rival ticket - this isn't a two-party system.

We are on the same side and we will have real change. Without the need for a bloodbath.

We removed Gardner with a nod and an agreement.

Renewal for 2014 will happen in a similar fashion.

No bloodbath?!?

tumblr_m2lfrkdy8s1qddh1n.gif

I'm pretty sure WYL and H_H were going to vote Ceasar style anway...

19.gif?w=500

Name them. Debt Demolition and...

Debt demolition, building/re-building relationship with MCC, relocating training base to MCG precinct, increasing membership, building the foundations of some new coteries and generally decreasing the number of factions within the club. Also their personal contributions to the club, and Karen Hayes' work with women.

I don't think this Board is perfect, but I do think it is important to recognise its achievements.

Rhino: As for your comment about the Board's monumental failures, I have never met a poster that likes a bob each way more than you do. You will argue with anyone about anything, but after the event, you are an expert with a retrospectoscope and 20/20 hindsight.

• Like 2

Like most of you I expect, I am known amongst my friends as a very passionate Demons supporter.

In recent years, I have signed up a quite a few of my mates' sons to the club. My mates have allowed it because they don't believe their kids will actually support such an ordinary club in due course.

I signed my own son up to the club earlier this year. Three months before he was born. He doesn't even know what's going on.

My mates keep asking 'why do you do it?' - and commenting 'just let it go - switch to the Swans'. At least do it for Henry (my son).

In short, they feel sorry for me. But I don't want their sorrow. In fact, I feel sorry for them.

Why?

Because it's unusual to be able to follow a sporting team that so readily reveals one's character. Anyone can elect to support an Essendon, or a Carlton, or the Crows, or a Sydney.

When I think of my friends who support such clubs, a lot of them are fairly non-descript supporters who just blend in - I can't always say with certainty who they actually support. They often miss games, and many typically only start really following their team in the second or third week of the finals.

You see, it's easy to support those clubs - their survival is guaranteed and, over the space of a 6 or 7 year period, so are finals. Vanilla stuff compared to what we have to endure week in, week out.

Throughout the season a lot of them look at the results in the paper on Monday, and then comment to me 'yep, another good win for us on the weekend. Pity about the Dees'. They haven't watched the game obviously - I however always have. They know that. It grates, because I'm the passionate supporter, whereas, for many of them, they're supporters only out of convenience.

I tell them it's lucky clubs don't get to trade supporters the way they get to trade players, because they'd all be de-listed. They laugh - but they know it's true. Many of them are fair weather supporters, unlike most of the regulars here. In fact, the supporters here are the types that all clubs would want on their books, even if they wouldn't want all of our players.

So am I doing the right thing by young Henry in forcing/encouraging him to support the Demons?!

Too bloody right I am.

He'll get the opportunity to support a unique club and show some heart in doing it. All of his mates will blow in the wind supporting some other big club and it'll all blend into one - they're all massive clubs, easy to support, and it'll be all the less remarkable as a result.

In short, getting to support the MFC is a gift. Most people don't elect to - they inherit it. And it's a damn good inheritance.

For me personally, I think I'm as passionate about this club as if they'd won a dozen or so flags in the last 20 years. In fact, I think I'm more passionate because we haven't and because we've always got our back to the wall. Perhaps it's the lure of the underdog - but it's certainly addictive.

It's probably the same reason some of the most passionate English soccer supporters often support the likes of a West Ham or an Everton, and the most passionate baseball supporters support the likes of the Chicago Cubs and the Red Sox.

After all, anyone can go for a Collingwood, a Manchester United, Real Madrid or the New York Yankees. But I rarely, if ever, raise an eyebrow when I hear that someone does. It's just so damn unremarkable.

Go Demons.

• Like 12

Like most of you I expect, I am known amongst my friends as a very passionate Demons supporter.

In recent years, I have signed up a quite a few of my mates' sons to the club. My mates have allowed it because they don't believe their kids will actually support such an ordinary club in due course.

I signed my own son up to the club earlier this year. Three months before he was born. He doesn't even know what's going on.

My mates keep asking 'why do you do it?' - and commenting 'just let it go - switch to the Swans'. At least do it for Henry (my son).

In short, they feel sorry for me. But I don't want their sorrow. In fact, I feel sorry for them.

Why?

Because it's unusual to be able to follow a sporting team that so readily reveals one's character. Anyone can elect to support an Essendon, or a Carlton, or the Crows, or a Sydney.

When I think of my friends who support such clubs, a lot of them are fairly non-descript supporters who just blend in - I can't always say with certainty who they actually support. They often miss games, and many typically only start really following their team in the second or third week of the finals.

You see, it's easy to support those clubs - their survival is guaranteed and, over the space of a 6 or 7 year period, so are finals. Vanilla stuff compared to what we have to endure week in, week out.

Throughout the season a lot of them look at the results in the paper on Monday, and then comment to me 'yep, another good win for us on the weekend. Pity about the Dees'. They haven't watched the game obviously - I however always have. They know that. It grates, because I'm the passionate supporter, whereas, for many of them, they're supporters only out of convenience.

I tell them it's lucky clubs don't get to trade supporters the way they get to trade players, because they'd all be de-listed. They laugh - but they know it's true. Many of them are fair weather supporters, unlike most of the regulars here. In fact, the supporters here are the types that all clubs would want on their books, even if they wouldn't want all of our players.

So am I doing the right thing by young Henry in forcing/encouraging him to support the Demons?!

Too bloody right I am.

He'll get the opportunity to support a unique club and show some heart in doing it. All of his mates will blow in the wind supporting some other big club and it'll all blend into one - they're all massive clubs, easy to support, and it'll be all the less remarkable as a result.

In short, getting to support the MFC is a gift. Most people don't elect to - they inherit it. And it's a damn good inheritance.

For me personally, I think I'm as passionate about this club as if they'd won a dozen or so flags in the last 20 years. In fact, I think I'm more passionate because we haven't and because we've always got our back to the wall. Perhaps it's the lure of the underdog - but it's certainly addictive.

It's probably the same reason some of the most passionate English soccer supporters often support the likes of a West Ham or an Everton, and the most passionate baseball supporters support the likes of the Chicago Cubs and the Red Sox.

After all, anyone can go for a Collingwood, a Manchester United, Real Madrid or the New York Yankees. But I rarely, if ever, raise an eyebrow when I hear that someone does. It's just so damn unremarkable.

Go Demons.

Great post!!! Completely agree!!! Nothing of value comes easily.

• Like 1

Why?

Too bloody right I am.

Go Demons.

I agree that being a demon builds resilience and teaches loyalty. But they are severely testing the friendship.

It's totally unenjoyable being a Melbourne supporter at the moment.

I just thank goodness my kids are too young to know what the numbers on the scoreboard mean!

Leoncelli left the board as none of the recommendations of the independent internal report were followed through.

I have no doubt that report was hidden away by Schwab as it most likely recommended that he be removed from the club.