Tonight's game.

Depressing thought. Pick 12 Tom Lynch, Pick 13 Lucas Cook...

Missed it by that much...I think that was the problem we thought we would get Lynch and when we didn't we looked for another tall and got Cook instead of next best player. Says a lot about our recruiting really.

It's just slack work. $cully was the same.

The kid didn't want to be there. Don't pick him.

We ruined all the assistance we got and paid a fine. What a joke.

GC are the anti Melbourne. Sure- they had a bucket load of picks and concessions, but they took advantage of that. They drafted well and have developed well- the players look like seasoned footballers already.

to think in their 3 year existence they are not only competitive but winning and producing exciting football, and compare that with the state of affairs at the dees and it tears me up. This further highlights just how much we have got wrong over the years for mine. Cook, Gysberts, Morton etc etc.. mistake, after mistake, after mistake. All the priority pics, still no midfield. It's a disgrace. And the thing that sucks the most is that this new mob are going to win a premiership in my lifetime before we are.

Our list SHOULD BE as good or better than GC.

it isn't.

They are shot upstairs as well.

We need change.

It should be, but we relied on the completely hopeless recruiting skills of Barry Prendergast, and had players like Morton, Gysberts, Maric, Cook and others. That is the fault of the club under Bailey etc, when they started the downward spiral that has lead to our current state.

The positive for me is, I believe our recruitment since 2012 has been vastly improved, particularly in respect to young talent.

Viney, Toumpas, Hogan, Terlich, Kent, Taggert, Barry, even Evans is looking good.

I actually feel like our recruiters are doing a good job. Some people criticise the selection of Gillies, but we got him for nothing and if anything he provides depth in our back line and he's still young enough to develop further.

Things are changing, this time I believe they are changing the right way and for the better.

• Like 1

GCS have been pretty much a stable team for the past three years and so are now gelling very well. Unfortunately due to our multiple rebuilds, we don't have that unity.

A few of these players were onboard back in 2009 in the TAC cup, and more came onboard when they started in the VFL in 2010 - and all that time with the same coach. Unity, consistency, familiarity.

• Like 2

The positive for me is, I believe our recruitment since 2012 has been vastly improved, particularly in respect to young talent.

Viney, Toumpas, Hogan, Terlich, Kent, Taggert, Barry, even Evans is looking good.

Toumpas, Taggert and Barry have shown nothing yet (not saying they won't make it just that at this early stage they haven't shown it - nothing wrong with that just stating a fact though).

Barry could be seen as another player too skinny for AFL.

Terlich, Kent and Evans have been good but haven't shown anything special to say they can be any more than good ordinary players who can lead us up the ladder.

Forgive me if I wait to see some results before I start agreeing everything has changed.

As a side note look at Richmond to see what can happen when you invest in your recruitment dept. Their recruiting was laughable even worse than ours now in the last few drafts they have put together a very good, hard and skilful midfield; Cotchin, Martin, Conca, Vlastuin plus some adept recruiting from other clubs guys like Grigg and Houli. So it can change but we need the right people there.

Edited by Dr. Gonzo

A few of these players were onboard back in 2009 in the TAC cup, and more came onboard when they started in the VFL in 2010 - and all that time with the same coach. Unity, consistency, familiarity.

Plus they have talent, hardness and footy smarts - that counts for quite a lot.

It should be, but we relied on the completely hopeless recruiting skills of Barry Prendergast, and had players like Morton, Gysberts, Maric, Cook and others. That is the fault of the club under Bailey etc, when they started the downward spiral that has lead to our current state.

Fair enough, though just in the interests of accuracy, Evans and Taggert were signed on Prendergast's watch, as was Jack Viney.

The other side of the Prendergast coin is Howe, McDonald, Gawn - and as you mentioned, Evans. BP seems to have done decently with the later picks, it's those round 1 and 2 picks that we've lost out on, in particular Gysberts and Cook.

• Like 1

Romans 12:12 Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer.

Are you a part of the "Get back the Reverend" push?

Dion Prestia re-signed with them because he thinks they will have a flag within three years. I can believe it watching what they have on the park. The AFL have created a monster.

No, 2 monsters. Get ready for 2016 gf of the acronyms. GC v GWS. Total crowd: 6.

• Like 1

Gold Coast look great. Their wins aren't so much to run home about given the weak opponents but their losing margins, averaging around 35 to our 70, say a lot.

If only we had two or three gun recruits, especially a couple of midfielders, who were at the moment too young to make a great impact but who will plausible develop nicely in the next couple of years. Plus, so glad we'll have Dion Prestia with us next year. :)

I don't feel doomed, that's refreshing.

Also on the bright side, if you consider some people's posts and the media hype, I guess we are 4 wins against the bottom four sides away from being considered the likely 2015-16 premiers.

If David Schwartz is allowed to fantasise about big losses to Collingwood (really, Ox, really?) then I'm allowed to fantasise about us coming out refreshed after the break and sticking it to the struggling Saints and Dogs. Let's face it, just those two wins would change the whole story of how we're going and set us up for a very refreshing run home.

Is it reasonable to suggest all of your posts will now quote verse Lordweaver?

Job: 17-15

Where then is my hope? Who can see any hope for me?

When I first saw the concessions given to the start ups I felt both would win flags early. At this stage I am not sure GWS will however Gold Coast may win multiple flags. The concessions given these two were absurd and unheard of in any sport I can remember.

Edited by Waltham33
  • Like 2

Guy McKenna is a good coach, great motivator, good communicator, good tactician, great leader.

Neeld is none of those.

Interestingly his ability was being questioned quite recently. Winning solves all

Look how hard GC are working!!

Bunch of kids.

What's the deal Demons??

Where is the effort & passion?

That's what "playing for the coach" looks like wyl.

Sadly something we NEVER see.

Morning.

Sorry to bore you with something I should be able to research by myself, but I find it's often easier to get on here and ask some of you knowledgeable people.

My brother and I were discussing last night how much the benefits given to these expansion teams has hurt us ie did our demise unfortunately coincide with the period in which normally poor teams like ours would receive higher picks? I know we got Watts Scully etc before the expansion teams appearance (and yeah yeah, I know somebody will jump in and say we would have stuffed up the picks anyway)

Seems to me quite important I'm sick of people at work, in press (eg Emma Quayle) etc telling Me it's all our fault, we should be relocated, etc Maybe part of our problem is that we were shafted by the Afl - part of a perfect storm of events, other factors of which included the growing commercialization of the game, which means that the poorer teams become less attractive investments, and money equals on field success these days

Anyway, sorry if I should know all of this, but I'd appreciate some feedback

Cheers

• Like 1

GC: new team, new hopeful supporter base, injections of AFL $, strong leadership on field from GA, low expectation of success.

MFC: old team, long suffering (disaffected ?) supporters, almost ran out of $ plus recent fine from AFL, onfield leadership struggling, everyone thinks we should be doing a lot better.

no comparison really.

Guy McKenna is a good coach, great motivator, good communicator, good tactician, great leader.

Neeld is none of those.

Careful there hh u will be labelled an ANTI - NEELD poster!!!!!!!