Dawes great for Watts

darkhorse72

After watching today game and last week for Dawes, i think he is great to have in the team for Watts to learn off. Dawes was great today, has mongrel and high standards which is one of the reasons he was recruited. But now Watts has older more experienced key forward to learn from. Something the club has not had since he [watts] was recruited, a big gap in his development. Now to recruit a mid to do the same for our midfield.

• Like 11

If Watts was Liam Jones trying to learn the intracies of CHF I'd agree but I don't on this one.

I couldn't care if Watts can't use his body to manouvre opponents or grab the ball at the highest point. Maybe Im wrong but I've given up on him becoming a traditional key forward. He's got other talents that mean he doesn't have to become a key forward.

I want him to attack the ball on the ground and to tackle with some force etc.

He can look to Jones, Viney, McKenzie, Evans pretty much a decent chunk of our list for that.

If Watts was Liam Jones trying to learn the intracies of CHF I'd agree but I don't on this one.

I couldn't care if Watts can't use his body to manouvre opponents or grab the ball at the highest point. Maybe Im wrong but I've given up on him becoming a traditional key forward. He's got other talents that mean he doesn't have to become a key forward.

I want him to attack the ball on the ground and to tackle with some force etc.

He can look to Jones, Viney, McKenzie, Evans pretty much a decent chunk of our list for that.

those two players are terrible. We are a joke cause of our midfielders. If they happen to win the ball its just a hack forward, when they lose it though its a clear break. Sewell ran out of the centre first clearance of the day (what a joke). Unless we can get someone to support nath jones we will continue to suck big time. Trengove is a lot worse then Watts

Absolutely. Couple this with comments from Viney senior that Watts is not an aggressive guy. Dawes isn't terribly aggro, but he knows how to use his size and bulk to influence the contest all the same. That is something Watts needs to learn badly.

Someone down at Collingwood told me Dawes was a grumpy bloke, he didn't say a bad bloke, actually said he'd be good for our club and would be a good pick up - because he played most of last year with a stiff finger and it affected him, he had no confidence in the injury.

those two players are terrible. We are a joke cause of our midfielders. If they happen to win the ball its just a hack forward, when they lose it though its a clear break. Sewell ran out of the centre first clearance of the day (what a joke). Unless we can get someone to support nath jones we will continue to suck big time. Trengove is a lot worse then Watts

Firstly Nathan Jones was on Sewell for that clearance.

Also if Watts played with half the intensity of Evans or McKenzie we wouldn't be having this thread.

Trengove isn't going very well but at least he can lay a tackle a put his head over it.

• Like 1

Yeah, I'd be playing Watts in the forward fifty for the rest of the year, even with the return of Clark. He's shown a glimmer of attack on the ball over the last two weeks. We've said it before. If he can impact contests physically, he'll become a very dominant player with increased possession. That said, going forward I see him as a player that rotates between deep forward, half forward, high half forward and the wing.

It's a good thread this though. I agree. Dawes is more of a physical player than Clark. It's great seeing a Melbourne key forward banging and crashing opponents. There was a moment there today that reminded me of Neitz's hip and shoulder on Luke McCabe over a decade ago. He has a presence.

I think he will be helped by Hogan's bash and crash too just quietly.

Clark, Dawes, Hogan, Watts and Howe. Get two B grade crumbers and we're looking incredibly dangerous down there. If Blease can lift his work rate and fitness, he might become one of those crumbers too.

• Like 3

Watts is a forward.

What does this mean for the MFC? It means we have Hogan to play FF, Dawes to play CHF, Clark to play FF/ruck, and Howe and Watts as our higher leading forwards pushing up onto a wing when needed.

It means that if we can find a crumbing forward (or two), we have a full forward line.

• Like 5

Watts is a forward.

What does this mean for the MFC? It means we have Hogan to play FF, Dawes to play CHF, Clark to play FF/ruck, and Howe and Watts as our higher leading forwards pushing up onto a wing when needed.

It means that if we can find a crumbing forward (or two), we have a full forward line.

I hear what you say (pun intended) but that's no good unless you can get the ball out of the Guts !! I am sick in my stomach watching us play these days how much longer will the club exist ?

It's all well & good having Watts up forward for rest of the year but what about when Hogan comes in next year?

This is exactly the type of quandry we have needed for 10 years. If we could only ask the same questions of the mids.

My belief is that once thier careers are done Watts won't be worthy to tie Hogan's laces.

Edited by dandeeman

He doesn't hit the packs because he doesn't know how. Have a look at the stats for Sunday, the only player not to have a tackle, he is an outside player, therefore his opponent can run off him without fear of being tackled.

Dawes was a great pick up for this club. Stunning to think anyone would think otherwise.

Players have different values to different clubs - he may have been surplus to needs at the Pies, but he's definitely an extremely important player for us.

I also reckon the Pies may come to regret letting him go too.

• Like 3

When Watts gets it forward of centre, you can sense the opposition scrambling to cover all bases because his disposal is so good (note: a couple of howling clangers though against the Hawks). He is a forward, thinks like a forward and runs into the right spaces at the right time like a forward. I have also given up thinking he will ever be a power forward with grunt but I want the ball in his hands looking up to see Hogan, Dawes and Clark.

Totally agree about the midfield. Our forward line could look half decent if our midfield knew how to structure up and had knowledge of forward/defensive spread.

• Like 1

And the big thing is that Dawesy WORKS HISS BLOODY BOTTOM OFF! Something which Watts often refuses to do.

Strap him to Dawesy's side and show him what is required for an AFL forward to do.

He's not the only player letting the team down in that regard. I remember Davey, after passing the ball from the half back line, just jogged and provided no further leads. In contrast Pederson, who cops a bit on here, also passed from the half back line, but continued to run, provided an option and got the ball back.

The passage of play that highlights Watts inadequacies was when Rodan was running into the forward 50, Watts was close by with an opponent. He had the option of shepherding, which would have given Rodan the ability to run an extra 15-20m into the forward 50, or he could have worked harder to get the handball receive. He, predictably, chose the latter but made no extra effort to be a viable option.

Effort is one thing, but Watts plays a little selfishly (Maybe that's a product of getting cheap possessions as a loose man in defense). Dawes seems to be a team player and would certainly be a positive influence on Watts

• Like 1

Well i think Dawes might at least show him how to work. That said Watts was on his bike a bit yesterday. The goals he kicked in the 3rd he had been up in the back half immediate before and had run the length of the ground back to our forward line. That said he was absolutely knackered and sucking the wind - good effort to slot it considering.

But Jumbo i have to call it. I was wrong and you were right. He won't be our most important player this year (or probably ever on current performances) - not by a mile. No pushing for AA selection, now or perhaps ever. No Goddard quarter back role. Chalk it up as another completely 100% wrong call I made pre season. The flame of hope once again burnt my logic. I appreciate and respect the fact you have not crowed in any way.Respect

I thought that even though he did a few ok things yesterday his intensity, tackling and desire was deplorable. I was of the view in 2011 that he would never make it if he didn't address that aspect of his game but felt he had improved his intensity to at least an acceptable level in 2012. Well he's gone all the way back. Some his efforts, or should i say half arsed efforts were pathetic yesterday. And even though i don't think Neeld has done him any favours the blame for his lack of intensity is squarely on Watts shoulders. If only he had a tenth of Puoplos desire - or Terlichs for that matter.

What then to do with Watts. I favour him alternating between a high half forward and a wing and using his kicking skills forward of centre to snag one or goals a game and set up a few more. The rest of the time play as an outside receiver type with a license to take risks and kick into the corridor.