Geelong v Casey Scorpions

KC from Casey

Hogan wont leave. He is loving the club and would love guys like Toumpas, Viney, Davey, Taggert, Clisby etc delivering him the ball, just like some have done in the Vfl. Obviously Neeld will be sacked... He wont last it is as simple as that. It was poor timing. with him certain coaches will go, with that we may see a completey different side. Not blaming Neeld, I think his game plan would work, but unfortunatly he doesnt have the list he needs and he wont be around long enough to see one either.

Hogan wont leave. He is loving the club and would love guys like Toumpas, Viney, Davey, Taggert, Clisby etc delivering him the ball, just like some have done in the Vfl. Obviously Neeld will be sacked... He wont last it is as simple as that. It was poor timing. with him certain coaches will go, with that we may see a completey different side. Not blaming Neeld, I think his game plan would work, but unfortunatly he doesnt have the list he needs and he wont be around long enough to see one either.

Seriously, will there be a club by the time his contract is up?

Seriously, will there be a club by the time his contract is up?

Relax Monnocular, of course we'll still be around. The wheel will turn eventually. In the meantime consider drinking heavily.

• Like 1

Relax Monnocular, of course we'll still be around. The wheel will turn eventually. In the meantime consider drinking heavily.

Sage advice Withnail.

• Like 3

Okay so great win by the scorps. They were certainly the better side on the day, although they had a very poor first half of the 1st and 4th quarters where Geelong scored about 8-9 of their goals... Their tackling was excellent, that was the big thing I noticed, especially after watching the Dees pathetic attempts at tackling in the Freo game. Couch, Rodan, Spencer, Casey's 3, 13 and 10 (sorry, don't know their names) they hunted and gang tackled and it was great to see. I was there with my wife so I can't say I was paying 100% attention but here's a rundown of what I saw:

Spencer: A lot of taps but a bunch of them went straight to cats players, got around the ground well, took some very nice big marks, but made some pretty basic errors too. Not worthy of a call up IMO.

Pedo: Wow. Seriously, if this guy doesn't come straight in for Sellar then someone's on the drugs that killed River Pheonix. He hit the packs hard, rebounded well, and showed something you don't often see in the dees backline. The balls to take the game on and kick long and well. He took pack marks, peeled off his man and linked up, and a number of times he made 2nd or 3rd efforts which were goal saving tackles or bumps. Seriously, I was shocked how good this guy played. He did concede a few goals but often that was because of quick turnovers from the middle of the ground he couldn't do much about. He also cleared the backline with pinpoint 50 metre kicks on a number of occasions. Definite IN for next week.

Couch: In everything early and in many ways kept Casey in the game in the first half. His contested work was bloody good, tackling and harrying and bumping and harassing and just pushing the ball forward. Definitely one of the Casey's best.

Blease: Sam would have only had a handful of possesions and I'm not sure if even one of them was effective. In the 2nd term he danced around three defenders on the last line of defence, desperately trying to take the game on rather than handballing off to one of the four teammates standing within 15 metres of him then hit a pinpoint pass to a cats player all on his own 45 metres out directly in front of goal. It was possibly the worst individual effort I can remember seeing on the footy field. To make matters worse, he got cleaned up after disposing of the ball and was groggy as all hell and didn't come back on.

Clisby: Was really impressed by this guy. Found the ball in close and used it well in space. Seems to have footy smarts and is a courageous player.

Tynan: Wasn't involved much at all, did a few good things but didn't notice him much.

Taggert: Really good game from this guy, broke the lines a few times, seemed to play in the middle a little bit and got a few clearances. Like Clisby, was strong and courageous and really took the game on.

Rodan: Massive game, was very influential. Laid a bunch of excellent tackles, got a heap of clearances, was a real catalyst for the run of goals in the third term and played a leadership role, constantly encouraging and directing his teammates at stoppages.

Macdonald: Was good, dependable. Didn't see him make a mistake (which was a change from his AFL games!) His kicking seems to have improved. I'd like to know his effectiveness stats because I didn't see him miss a target by hand or foot.

Kent: Was involved a little but nothing he did was terribly impressive. Work rate seemed high but not a lot of impact.

Barry: Played well, was encouraging. Drifted in and out of the game but showed he is up to the standard of VFL firsts. Was very elusive and had a few scoring involvements.

Fitz: His ruck work didn't seem that great to me but wow did he make the most of his opportunities up forward. He really used his height and speed well in front of goals and was on the end of a few ripper passes from his teammates, including Hogan. He crumbed and snapped goals, he goaled on the lead and is worthy of a call up this week. His sealer goal was might impressive. Fifty out on the boundary with Geelong having all the momentum, he lined up sideways and snapped it through, a seriously clutch goal. Should take Gawn's spot IMO.

Hogan: Okay now I know people are keen to hear about his game today and for the first 20 minutes of the game i don't think he had a touch. However, just before quarter time he dragged in a big pack mark over three Casey players and although he hit the post with the set shot from then on he was on fire. He took marks on the lead, he crumbed and snapped goals, he tackled ferociously winning a number of free kicks, he was seriously impressive. What excited me was that he was sooo smart with his leading. He knew instinctively how to outposition his opponent and then to lose him on the lead. With a bit better delivery he would have have 8 goals. He also led right up the ground on numerous occosions and delivered effectively, setting up a few goals for his teammates. Not only that but with fifteen minutes to go and the Cats playing all over the Scorps, he was placed behind the ball in the backline and took a number of intercept marks, and tackled and harassed really well, stopping one or two shots on goal that would have seen the cats hit the front had they resulted in goals. He also directed his teammates down there and told them when to slow it down and chip it around when geelong weren't manning up but when they did man up he was demanding, screaming they kick long down the line. Wowee, seriously this was a captains game. He was the best player on skilled stadium today and given he is only 17... we seriously need to find a way to start getting the footy inside fifty next year because this guy will do the rest...

Okay that's all I can remember and the GP is about to start sorry if I missed anyone but go Scorps!

• Like 23

Do you think the club will start working out how much $ they will make from jumpers with Hogans number on it sold pre season next year?

The club needs to sort itself out off the field in the next two years and show positive signs or we will lose this kid. And I promise you I'm serious!

So, why can Melbourne-listed players at Casey play so well and why does Casey play well (most weeks) and Melbourne not? Why do we have plenty of VFL stars who don't seem to be able to play at the next level? For all but approx three hours a week all the Melbourne-listed players have the same coaching and fitness regimes. From what I've read on here, I believe Casey is playing the same game plan as Melbourne (please correct me if I'm wrong).

It gives me hope for the future that our 2nds aren't also basket-cases.

• Like 1

One word. Confidence. Casey has it. Melbourne don't. That why they play the man instead of the ball. It's a mindset issue.

Now I forgot someone Troy Davis. He really impressed me yesterday. He certainly needs to get involved more from an offensive perspective, but wow, anything that went near him he thumped away, even up against the huge Vardy. Really good ability to find a way to affect the spoil. Not ready for 1s but has potential IMO.

One word. Confidence. Casey has it. Melbourne don't. That why they play the man instead of the ball. It's a mindset issue.

Now I forgot someone Troy Davis. He really impressed me yesterday. He certainly needs to get involved more from an offensive perspective, but wow, anything that went near him he thumped away, even up against the huge Vardy. Really good ability to find a way to affect the spoil. Not ready for 1s but has potential IMO.

We have a huge list of coaches, assistant coaches, support staff, etc. But do we have a team psychologist? Seems like we need one.

Mr White Line Fever. The impression I get from Davis is he'd do damn near anything to get his hand on the ball. You may recall Moloney getting stuck into him for going in too hard on him in a drill right after he came to the club. He also ran down Jack Watts from a big lead in one of the intra-clubs and managed to get a spoil in right on the goal line. The only thing keeping him out of the firsts is his disposal, but his effort is second to none.

• Like 1

So, why can Melbourne-listed players at Casey play so well and why does Casey play well (most weeks) and Melbourne not? Why do we have plenty of VFL stars who don't seem to be able to play at the next level? For all but approx three hours a week all the Melbourne-listed players have the same coaching and fitness regimes. From what I've read on here, I believe Casey is playing the same game plan as Melbourne (please correct me if I'm wrong).

It gives me hope for the future that our 2nds aren't also basket-cases.

This is telling for mine.

Jese Hogan is a sure fire superstar if he wasnt playing for the MFC.

we MUST get a new coach and development staff.

This kid can not go to waste.

I would say Hogans development is coming along strongly.. along with many others down at Casey this year. Gawn, Evans, Terlich, Tapscott, earlier, & Fitzy, Davis, Jetta, Kent, etc..

it looks to me that this Casey team is going well & that many of our young are starting to stand up... unlike under previous footy dept's & assistant coaches.

We have a huge list of coaches, assistant coaches, support staff, etc. But do we have a team psychologist? Seems like we need one.

to put older heads on younger shoulders,,, or are 'some' of the older heads, a part of the problem?

This is telling for mine.

The reason is we have players good enough to play well at VFL level but are not AFL standard. The little difference this year besides Rodan, Pederson, Macdonald and Couch most or our VFL team is under 22 years old. would like to see Toumpas spend a month at Casey to really show us what he can do, bring him back into the AFL side after the bye. There is plenty to like about Hogan, Fitzpatrick, Barry, Kent, Taggart that hopefully will translate to AFL level over the next 12 months.

The reason is we have players good enough to play well at VFL level but are not AFL standard. The little difference this year besides Rodan, Pederson, Macdonald and Couch most or our VFL team is under 22 years old. would like to see Toumpas spend a month at Casey to really show us what he can do, bring him back into the AFL side after the bye. There is plenty to like about Hogan, Fitzpatrick, Barry, Kent, Taggart that hopefully will translate to AFL level over the next 12 months.

I can't agree.

Morton, Gysberts, Cook, Strauss, Blease, Petterd, Bennell, Martin, Jetta, Bail, McKenzie and Watts are all players who have failed to "take the next step" or "develop" into genuinely good AFL footballers. Your list is, bar Fitzy, a list of first and second year players but development is over 3 to 5 years.

I can accept that some won't make it but not all of the above. It's telling that our young players don't develop and it's telling that players seem to play with much more spirit at Casey than they do in the seniors.

You may have a point and certainly agree with the 'spirit aspect' ,but there are some very high draft picks in your group. What could that tell us? Further Jordie, Bail and Martin were long shots as draft picks. I don't think its completely about development and reckon we took real some softies with very poor drafting. Not to many 'tatts' in the list :}

I can't agree.

Morton, Gysberts, Cook, Strauss, Blease, Petterd, Bennell, Martin, Jetta, Bail, McKenzie and Watts are all players who have failed to "take the next step" or "develop" into genuinely good AFL footballers. Your list is, bar Fitzy, a list of first and second year players but development is over 3 to 5 years.

I can accept that some won't make it but not all of the above. It's telling that our young players don't develop and it's telling that players seem to play with much more spirit at Casey than they do in the seniors.

I can't agree.

Winning is a bit underrated 'Bob'.

FAIR DINKUM UNBELIEVABLE by Corio Boy as told to Whispering Jack

From a team point of view the highlight of Casey's win against the top team Geelong on its home turf at Simonds Stadium was its ability to bounce back from a bad loss last week and a poor opening quarter this week to get to within eight points at half time, then boot 11 goals in a sensational third term before holding steady to win in the face of a dramatic finish from the Cats.

However, from a club (and I'm talking about the senior member of the alignment) point of view, the highlight was the performance of 18 year old Jesse Hogan who the Demons picked as an under age recruit in last year's GWS mini draft and to a lesser extent, that of Jack Fitzpatrick. Both youngsters booted five goals each which, given the Demons collectively managed to amass only six at Paterson's Stadium later in the day, was a revelation.

Scorpions coach Rohan Welsh told reporters after the game:

"(Jesse's) a key forward and is obviously going to be very exciting for the Melbourne Football Club.

"He's aggressive, strong and quick, (and) they're pretty hard to come by. He knows areas of his game he needs to improve, but he's got that level head on his shoulders."

Hogan did more than kick five goals. He was always dangerous in the air and around the ground. He controlled the forward line when it rallied to come back in the second quarter, was breathtakingly strong and a catalyst in the third and finally, helped down in defence when the Cats clawed back to within five points point late in the game.

Fitzpatrick was also superb mainly as a forward but also did well in the ruck. He combined with Jake Spencer to help the team dominate at the stoppages, especially after ¼ time. At that stage Casey was goalless and trailled by 19 points despite having one more scoring shot.

The defence, led by Cam Pedersen, Troy Davis and Joel Macdonald tightened up and with Tom Couch, David Rodan and Danny Nicholls controlling the midfield battles, Casey skipped out to a 44 point lead at one stage late in the third quarter.

In the final term, Geelong came back strongly but again it was Hogan and Fitzpatrick who came to the team's rescue, each with a goal. The former also went down back to execute a few timely saves and the latter doing well with his speed around the ground and his ruckwork.

In the end, Casey returned to the winners list and, on a day when it was brought to its knees on the other side of the continent, Melbourne found a star or two.

HOW THE DEMONS FARED

Dom Barry 5 kicks 11 handballs 16 disposals, 4 marks, 1 tackle - nice game on a wing but didn't star.

Sam Blease 4 kicks, 3 handballs, 7 disposals, 2 marks, 2 tackles, 0 goals, 2 behinds - suffered a knock late in the second quarter which saw him off for the day but only had minor impact before that.

Mitch Clisby 9 kicks 9 handballs 18 disposals, 3 marks - provided good run off half back

Tom Couch 12 kicks, 17 handballs, 29 disposals, 1 marks, 10 tackles - returned to the scene of his father's triumphs and was one of Casey's best amassing a lot of possession.

Troy Davis 8 kicks 3 handballs 11 disposals, 3 marks, 1 tackle - solid in defence.

Jack Fitzpatrick 10 kicks 1 handballs 11 disposals, 4 marks, 5 tackles 25 hitouts, 5 goals - dangerous up forward with five goals and provided excellent back up in the ruck.

Jesse Hogan 12 kicks 6 handballs 18 disposals, 7 marks, 3 tackles 1 hit out, 5 goals, 1 behind - to quote a local identity from Geelong who has now passed on, "fair dinkum unbelievable".

Dean Kent 10 kicks, 3 handballs, 13 disposals, 1 mark, 2 tackles, 2 hit outs, 1 goal - kicked the team's first goal in the second quarter but otherwise subdued.

Joel MacDonald 13 kicks 7 handballs 20 disposals, 6 marks, 5 tackles - very strong in defence and close to a call up for the Demons.

Cameron Pedersen 18 kicks, 9 handballs, 27 disposals, 11 marks, 1 tackle, 1 goal - another top game and surprising he was overlooked in favour of Gillies who was emergency for the Dees.

David Rodan 13 kicks, 13 handballs, 26 disposals, 2 marks, 6 tackles, 0 goals 2 behinds- contributed strongly in the middle.

Jake Spencer 4 kicks 8 handballs 12 disposals, 3 marks, 3 tackles 42 hitouts - rucked strongly and comfortable at this level but can he take the step up?

Rory Taggert 8 kicks, 10 handballs, 18 disposals, 2 marks, 2 tackles 1 goal, 1 behind - bobbed in and out, worked and tackled hard and kicked a goal.

Josh Tynan 3 kicks 3 handballs 6 disposals, 1 marks, 7 tackles - has been struggling so far and this was just a fair game.

Casey Scorpions 0.6.6 5.8.38 16.8.104 18.11.119

Geelong Cats 4.1.25 7.4.46 10.7.67 16.11.107

Goals

Casey Scorpions Fitzpatrick Hogan 5 Best Hughes 2 Kent Pedersen Smith Taggert

Geelong Cats Vardy 4 Murdoch 3 Corrigan Kersten 2 Bathie Condy Cowan Eardley Hartman

Best

Casey Scorpions Hogan Rodan Couch Pedersen Fitzpatrick Spencer

Geelong Cats Vardy Selwood Gleeson Corrigan Condy Murdoch

The development league team couldn't match top side Williamstown which it has now played twice at this early stage of the season.

Casey Scorpions 2.2.14 3.5.23 5.6.36 7.11.53

Williamstown 3.3.21 9.6.60 13.11.89 16.13.109

Goals

Casey Scorpions Fowler Lindsay 2 Anderson Irwin Stark

Williamstown Flack 4 Bench Bugeja Deery 2 Conway Greenwood Heatherington Johnstone Mead Morris

Best

Casey Scorpions Lindsay Troutman McInnes Drew Long Godfrey

Williamstown Wyatt Flack Johnstone Symes Gallucci Woods