• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

On The Couch - 13 May

Ron Burgundy

I for one don't want Roos, everybody seems to think he will be the Savior,I don't agree, he coaches boring boring football.I read Chris Dawes's blurb on MFC.com tonight, he's right, change for change sake is dumb. Neeld needs some help, I think PJ will assess and keep him but will get a more experienced structure around him.

It won't be change for change sake. It will be change because the football team is a train smash and Neeld has lost the confidence of the football world. This list does have some talent and Jackson knows this, he will get very capable people to right the ship.

This is not change for change sake.

• Like 2

"Coaching is not an option at the moment."

"Look, if the scenario happened and the club came to me, I don't think I could say yes."

James Hird, August 2010

Believe it or not, Hird and Roos are not the same person... just because one says one thing and does another, it doesn't necessarily follow that the other will do the same.

• Like 2

It won't be change for change sake. It will be change because the football team is a train smash and Neeld has lost the confidence of the football world. This list does have some talent and Jackson knows this, he will get very capable people to right the ship.

This is not change for change sake.

It was only 2 years ago, everybody screamed for Baileys head too, they got their way, but nothing changed, I was there on Sunday and its a low as I can remember but jumping from the frying pan into the fire won't help, It's not a time for major changes, the whole situation needs to be viewed, and making sudden knee jerk moves won't fix anything. Let PJ look at the club for a month or so, and then make some suggestions, maybe some minor changes of personnel in the ever increasing FD will be looked at, but the head coach must stay for now.
  • Like 4

Believe it or not, Hird and Roos are not the same person... just because one says one thing and does another, it doesn't necessarily follow that the other will do the same.

dwight.gif

Using it as an example of how you can't always believe everything you hear in these situations.

• Like 1

Using it as an example of how you can't always believe everything you hear in these situations.

Of course you can't, but watching Roos, the only impression I got was that he had zero interest in coaching the MFC - a particularly telling point was his pointed reference to the fact that he would not be attracted by large sums of money being thrown his way; that is, if he doesn't have the passion, he won't do it for any amount of money - and I think he made it quite clear he no longer has much passion for the coaching caper.

My IMPRESSION is that he would be open to a discussion with Peter Jackson about it - Roos would have a lot of questions that would need to be answered to his satisfaction, and the terms would have to be very favourable.

My wife disagreed - she doesn't think he wants to coach again.

Mrs Burgundy is an astute judge. Would she consider the top job at MFC? Or maybe club president. Would she be able to woo Roos?

Dawses selection not poor but in terms of financial outlay it probably was, agree with point 4 and roos may coach dees if price is right I think

I'm still hopeful but I see similarities with miller. Okay playing high up the ground with neiva and robot deep in goals, but once they went his deficiencies were to many. Notably inability to high mark. I fears Dawes is similar

I for one don't want Roos, everybody seems to think he will be the Savior,I don't agree, he coaches boring boring football.I read Chris Dawes's blurb on MFC.com tonight, he's right, change for change sake is dumb. Neeld needs some help, I think PJ will assess and keep him but will get a more experienced structure around him.

Neeld has lost a number of players - info on good advice from player parent - and 90% of supporter base. We will not wait for his long term fingers crossed rebuild of the rebuild. It's all over. Just time for Jackson to see what the rest of us have come to see.

• Like 1

It was only 2 years ago, everybody screamed for Baileys head too, they got their way, but nothing changed, I was there on Sunday and its a low as I can remember but jumping from the frying pan into the fire won't help, It's not a time for major changes, the whole situation needs to be viewed, and making sudden knee jerk moves won't fix anything. Let PJ look at the club for a month or so, and then make some suggestions, maybe some minor changes of personnel in the ever increasing FD will be looked at, but the head coach must stay for now.

A bees breathe from going the way of fitzroy......Schwarz. Listen . This is desperate time. You can prune a tree too much. And if that tree is already sick there is no way back. NOTE WE ARE TOTERING ON THE BRINK.

Dawes could be OK, if you have him and Jesse Hogan in the forward line, and Clark rucking instead of always, in the forwrd line.

our ruck strength is not good

• Like 3

Issues for discussion:

1. Roos did not categorically rule out coaching the MFC if approached - said it would be highly unlikely - but, for the first time in living memory, he didn't bag the club per se, just generically said he liked his current gig and did not really want to coach ANY team

2. Roos suggested Lyon may have been interested in coaching the MFC at the end of 2011, but was not approached

3. Healy suggested Moloney should still be at the club and the selection of Dawes was poor

4. None of the panel could believe that Neeld stated that we were 'out muscled' by the Suns in the post match press conference - if true, 'an indictment on the whole club'.

Healy did not say Dawes selection was poor. His point was that with Hogan in the wings and Clark in the bag we should have gone for another midfielder.

Interesting to me was that Healy was off our backs and said there was more talent there than people recognised or admitted.

I am in the not-convinced camp about Roos too.

Boring football and so far up himself he would need to be told the sun was up. If he came I would not be outraged but I would not be upset if Neeld stayed either. He is learning on the job and as PJ said, has not had the chance to sail in clear air at any point. That twitch worries me, though, about his capacity to handle pressure.

Neeld has lost a number of players - info on good advice from player parent - and 90% of supporter base. We will not wait for his long term fingers crossed rebuild of the rebuild. It's all over. Just time for Jackson to see what the rest of us have come to see.

If players are telling their parents that the coach has lost them it really seem to me like an opportunity for the parents to do their kids a favour and provide them some advice (which may well have happened):-
1. If the coach has lost the players because they believe he doesn't know what he's doing, then go out there and give 100% every week for your club and your supporters, and the holes in his coaching will show soon enough and his position will be sorted.
2. If the coach has lost the players because he was mean to some of your friends, then go out there and give 100% every week for you club and your supporters, and soon enough we will know whether the coaches tough approach resulted in the club losing players they couldn't afford to lose. His position will be sorted soon enough. Who knows, maybe with the massive effort you guys put in you might turn around after a while and go 'hey, you know what, the coach was right, we did need to harden up and make some sacrifices and do things more like other clubs are doing them'.
If anybody can tell me the playing group was giving 100% on the weekend then I will go he. The neutral people aren't blind...Wayne Carey stated early on in the game on Sunday that the players should have stayed home and watched Gossip Girl...and the Herald Sun had a cartoon of players wearing our jumper being too weak to run through a tissue paper banner. Slightly amusing but embarrassing to be affiliated with.
The players have played the politics game before and it didn't end well. Whilst the point they have may well be correct, the approach is extraordinary and something I'm struggling to think has ever happened at a professional sporting club before.
Having said all that, it appears as though it's gone too far now and the club has no choice but to replace the coach very soon. Having watched the way we've been coached over the last year and a bit it looks like it was going to happen soon enough anyway (e.g. our structures and ball movement ideas appear to be a good 5 years behind all the other clubs), but the process of reaching that point has shattered a lot of people, and put the club in a seriously dangerous place.
Once this coach is dealt with, who knows what happens next? If what you say about the coach losing some of the players is correct then it appears our playing group is definitely divided too because Chris Dawes has written an article questioning the efforts of the playing group. Some players might not have liked that....maybe they will put up the white flag in matches going forward until Chris Dawes is frog marched from the club too?

I tend to agree - all this fawning over Roos yet who is to say he could really do anything with this team? He created a stifling brand of footy suited to the SCG and the Swans list which was outdated before he finished coaching. Even though other teams had evolved their game plans beyond that he was unable to adapt in a way that Clarkson demonstrated he can at Hawthorn. One thing I think he would address is the culture (although it seems at the Swans, like the Cats, it was largely player driven) but whether that would equate to on-field success is a different beast altogether.

Someone mentioned Blight at St. Kilda and that's exactly what went through my head last night when he talked about coaching for money.

As for the other issues I cannot believe we were so stupid as to not call Ross Lyon when he was exactly what we needed (experience + defensive mindset), Moloney had to go and Dawes is far too early to judge though I thought he was one of our better players on the weekend (you know when he actually had the ball passed to him and not kicked a metre over his head.)

Didn't Ross Lyon tell everyone that he was staying in Melbourne and even his Manager or Garry Lyon who spoke to Lyon's Manager (who happens to be his own) said that he was staying. There may have been a chance but unless you were able to read minds, Lyon /Fremantle made sure that there was no opportunity to interview Lyon.

Dawes could be OK, if you have him and Jesse Hogan in the forward line, and Clark rucking instead of always, in the forwrd line.

our ruck strength is not good

I thought Dawes was ok as well considering the effort level produced on Sunday - and I agree he actually showed skill and composure which it seemed every other player couldn't.

I like the sound of Gawn?Clark in Ruck with Dawes and Hogan manning the forward line - that has a lot of potential (that dirty word)

So as I see it, we have 3 steps to success

1. Bring in Hogan and Play Mitch more in the ruck

2. ????

3. Premiership

Too greasy !! :) :) :)

Edited by Unleash Hell
  • Like 2

If Roos, as a true football person, still has the fire burning in his belly for footy, then he may well coach again. Question is, if he decides to coach, who will it be? I would welcome it if he see the challenge of coaching Melbourne as a worthwhile challenge. However, I will not be holding my breath on that one.

Maybe Peter Jackson can articulate a strong case in our favour to Roos. Hope springs eternal as they say.

What a load of wad.

Apparently, Ross Lyon coaches boring footy too.

Neeld has failed by not creating the basic fundamentals and habits each player needs and furthermore the FD has failed by letting him do that just like they'd did with Bailey.

You've heard Watts and Garland talk about it's a 'mindset thing'. That means that Neeld has not got through to them and he's only working with their conscious thoughts. Habits are created in the subconscious and that's when we react on instinct - of which our players have very very little and teams like Geelong have oodles of it.

Neeld can't get through to the players and I don't believe he can coach on game day either.

Cut ties now.

Edited by McQueen
  • Like 2

What a load of wad.

Neeld has failed by not creating the basic fundamentals and habits each player needs and furthermore the FD has failed by letting him do that just like they'd did with Bailey.

You've heard Watts and Garland talk about it's a 'mindset thing'. That means that Neeld has not got through to them and he's only working with their conscious thoughts. Habits are created in the subconscious and that's when we react on instinct - of which our players have very very little and teams like Geelong have oodles of it.

Neeld can't get through to the players and I don't believe he can coach on game day either.

Cut ties now.

The players must take some responsibility for manning up, punching from behind, blocking, tackling, kicking straight, kicking to a moving target, shepherding.

Geelong have got oodles of it, but they've also got a leader on every line.

Let's get more games in the three Jacks, JV, M Jones, Terlich, Dawes, Gawn, Evans, Strauss, Sellar, Howe, etc and allow the landscape to unfold then.

What a load of wad.

Cut ties now.

Oh, and the Ross Lyon thing.....he has a better list.

We're nowhere near their capabilities....yet.