Matt Jones - Evaluate his first 7 games

Could a first year player win the Bluey? This year any thing is possible!

At least he has a dip. As first year players I can handle the occasional skill error as they adapt to the speed of the game. I'd say Terlich is the same category. I don't mind mistakes when they come from players who go and get the footy and are still adjusting to the pace.

Both of these blokes are good picks by the MFC (can't believe I just typed that sentence).

Spot on - first year players haven't yet learned our deplorable culture - hopefully PJ can get in early enough to change that culture and save these youngsters.

He doesn't have elite finishing skills but he works bloody hard and finds a lot of the footy. Really like this guy and hope he continues to develop.

Has a go, goes in hard after the ball.

Needs to work on his kicking and his tackling to make it long term.

I well remember his namesake, Nathan, being discussed in similar terms for his first few years - good ordinary player with poor finishing skills; look at him now. And similarly re the early Todd Viney for that matter, so there is hope if we ie PJ can do something to endow the club with some spirit.

He is a highlight, along with Terlich and Viney. (Evans has had his moments too)

Which says alot about what our so called experienced core are dishing up.

Specially when we are losing because of our lack of experience. I think its a myth.

• Like 1

He is a highlight, along with Terlich and Viney. (Evans has had his moments too)

Which says alot about what our so called experienced core are dishing up.

Specially when we are losing because of our lack of experience. I think its a myth.

Perhaps these first year players are yet to be 'Melbournised'.

Perhaps these first year players are yet to be 'Melbournised'.

I dont think they carry the scars of past season. They are playing to prove themselves.

he has well and truely justified being picked up. Been one of if not our best mid over the 1st 7 rnds and can only get better with experience. Lets all hope he keeps up the good form :)

In terms of what we paid to get him, he has been a roaring success.

In terms of where he fits with the medium term future he is just what we need and that is some bigger bodied help for his namesake in the midfield.

He reminds me of Cam Bruce with his ability to cover ground and get the footy. He looks a little tougher but not as dangerous up forward.

I really hope he can give us 5 solid years of footy at a decent level and allow us to blood these kids we have (and will get) properly.

Edited by rpfc

Definitely the surprise packet of the season to date. When his name was called out at the draft I was a bit incredulous and my concerns deepened when I watched him playing for Box Hill against Casey in replay of a game I'd kept on Foxtel IQ. He'd been picked in a back pocket and struggled. However, he's done really well and promises to be part of a better Melbourne midfield in the near future.

That said, the thought of that Casey v Box Hill game also reminds me of the potential of Rory Taggert as a midfielder who can also kick goals. He was great in that game but re-injured his back soon after. Here's hoping that he recovers in the way Michael Evans has done to kick start what will hopefully become a long career.

Has been very good.

He is doing everything that Gysberts should've been doing.

Fair call. I'm sure he was recruited to fill that taller midfield role that Gysberts should have made his own. This looks like one we got right !

I think he's improved pretty much each week & is probably growing in self belief as well. Long may it continue

I genuinely believe he will finish top 3 in the BNF. Reminds me so much of Ryan Griffen and will be able to do more when he puts on some size. Such a shame he is already 25 years old.

Nahh he wouldnt have been good at 18 in my opinion.. he''s perfectly aged.

the guy has a good 5-6 years at Melbourne and can really excel in those years

Been an absolute surprise packet. Didnt impress much in the NAB Cup, but then in the St Kilda game at Casey had a breakout game and thoroughly earned his

spot since then. Only thing he needs to work on his is defensive positioning and pressure, he seems to struggle a bit with this.

I have been really pleased with Matty Jones. One of the only players who can truly say that he has had a dip in every game he has played.

Knows how to find the footy and uses it quite well too. Firmly cemented in our best 22.

Also has been a very handy pickup for my Supercoach side!

Clearly a shining light so far ... will rival Jack Viney for best first year player

IMO he is ahead of Jack in the best first year player at this stage.

He's ok offensively but doesn't work hard enough defensively and 25 disposals & 0 tackles says it all.

I just hope we haven't picked up another down hill skier

Edited by Jack7

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.