Should we tank this year?

Courtney_Fish

I think we might have tanked last year. I raised it with some other supporters and I was serious.

If we did all power to the Club, we benefited from it and got some terrific young kids in. Maximizing the value of our Scully comp picks made a lot of sense.

No point tanking this year until we know if we've got any picks.

Interesting thought. If Neeld knew the senior players who are no longer with us were not up to it before a game was even played then yes, we tanked- sorry managed our season to ensure a strong draft position. Smart business.

But in answer to the OP- if they are indeed serious (which I doubt)- we must start learning to win, and for our future's sake we must start now!

TBO I can't see what is so wrong with tanking..... Why is it such a big deal if a club list manages their way to the number 1 draft pick?

There will always be some form of tanking, as long as there is a draft..... Maybe if the draft order changed so that it started with the premiers getting the first pick...... Then tanking would stop.... If the draft remains the way it is there will always be tanking......GWS did it last year and Gold Coast the year before that.....and I don't have a problem with it.......

Maybe we could get John Inverarity from Cricket Australia. He seems to be doing a splendid job in keeping Australian representative players fresh and seeing who can stand up under adversity all in the quest for the Ashes. The ultimate prize....

WJ, I saw plenty of Sheedy and GWS in 2012. I'm inclined to go down Sheedy's method of madness. Make 8-10 changes including taking out your best players (after a win) and then get on the front foot in the media prior to the game and say (words not exact), "Don't anyone dare say this is tanking, I dare you to say that with the list we have...anyone who mentions it, look out..."

I don't think I've read much at all since with the exception of Demonland/Ology. It seems to have worked.

• Like 1

Interesting thought. If Neeld knew the senior players who are no longer with us were not up to it before a game was even played then yes, we tanked- sorry managed our season to ensure a strong draft position. Smart business.

But in answer to the OP- if they are indeed serious (which I doubt)- we must start learning to win, and for our future's sake we must start now!

He made a comment at an early press conference that would have me believe he did. Asked if he was surprised by the (poor) result he answered no. He needed to weed out the players he wanted to keep and the players he wanted gone, that was what last year was all about. Is that tanking? who knows, one thing I know is that you can't get a batch of new players half way into the season.

We've used our compo picks, have our father son pick and have turned the list over so now it's time to start moving up the ladder. Good recruiting from here on should ensure we are able to build on a strong foundation.

TBO I can't see what is so wrong with tanking..... Why is it such a big deal if a club list manages their way to the number 1 draft pick?

There will always be some form of tanking, as long as there is a draft..... Maybe if the draft order changed so that it started with the premiers getting the first pick...... Then tanking would stop.... If the draft remains the way it is there will always be tanking......GWS did it last year and Gold Coast the year before that.....and I don't have a problem with it.......

I do in a very big way!

The reality of all sports is that everyone is in it to win the big prize. teams are happy to sacrifice short term gains if it means they will one day win the big one. AFL clubs bottom out and play the youth to build towards a premiership tilt. Cricket Australia are playing a B grade team in all forms apart from test Cricket, and have been handing out baggy green caps like they are worthless in order to find a winning combination for the ashes.

The only format that would prevent experimentation or list management IMO, is a system that involves relegation. If you have to win or loose the right to play with the big boys then you see teams playing to win every week. Perhaps thats why the EPL and other comps are popular world wide, becasue you never see a passionless game.

I odnt actually think the AFL can establish relegation due to the money required to play in the comp. But if they actually think list management is tanking then perhaps they should investigate the posibility of introducing relegation.

• Like 2

I think we might have tanked last year. I raised it with some other supporters and I was serious.

If we did all power to the Club, we benefited from it and got some terrific young kids in. Maximizing the value of our Scully comp picks made a lot of sense.

No point tanking this year until we know if we've got any picks.

What, you are suggesting we told players to lose. I know we wouldn't do that. I would support the banning of any Coach who told players to lose.
  • Like 1

I asked a friend of mine who is an avid EPL supporter " what are the goals for the teams outside the like of Man U, Chelsea etc - who are the only ones who can realistically take out the big prizes"

He suggested that they aim to stay in the premier league, make profits, increase merchandising and they do this by hoping to sneak into Europe or staying in the hunt in the big cups long enough to increase revenue. If they start to look shaky financially they will sell off their stars to balance the books"

Must make defining "tanking" a [censored]

Should we play Viney, Toumpas and Barry every single week?

If we do, are we deliberately reducing the chance of winning by playing the young and inexperienced? Or are we simply trying to fast-track the development of these kids? Or do we genuinely think they will contribute more to a win than three older, more experienced depth players eg. Joel MacDonald, James Magner and James Sellar

If we don't play these kids, are we deliberately reducing the chance of winning by holding back young elite players from the best 22 and instead playing three older, more experienced depth players? Or do we just think think these kids are not ready and should not be rushed in to the big time? Or do we actually think the older depth players will contribute more to a win than these kids?

You can see the paradox - whatever we do, anyone can sit back and apply any of the above logic to suit their argument.

My view, relating to the NAB Cup when Trengrove and Clark will not be available, is to play all the new players and all those who we need to put under the microscope rather then our best available. It is more important to see how these guys play with their teammates and how much they get the Neeld plan. If we lose in the process of setting ourselves up for Round 1 of the 2013 season then we are surely following a similar strategy to that employed in the latter half of 2009 when we tried to set oursleves up for the 2010 season after we knew that we mathematically could not make the finals. It is the AFL who created 'tanking' through their introduction of priority draft picks!

I think 5 years of tanking list management should be enough - lets try and win a few

Amen to that.

I reckon we are owed over the next ten solid years an average game winning rate of 70+%

What do I keep telling you OD? You've got to think bigger than this. 2013 = 50 - 60%, 2014 = 75 - 80%. After that... how many percent are there?

Go DEES!

Thanks for the support Rev lets get bogged down in percentages

Lots and Lots of wins!

I think 5 years of tanking list management should be enough - lets try and win a few

I thought that the whole idea of tanking is that sooner or later you become good enough so that you don't have to.

Edited by Akum
  • Like 1

What, you are suggesting we told players to lose. I know we wouldn't do that. I would support the banning of any Coach who told players to lose.

Redleg I agree that tanking is the players not trying.

Do you think any penalty should apply to a team who manages their list, trains their players and selects teams with the intention of reducing the chance of winning and thereby gaining a benefit at draft time.

Hypothetically of course.........

Redleg I agree that tanking is the players not trying.

Do you think any penalty should apply to a team who manages their list, trains their players and selects teams with the intention of reducing the chance of winning and thereby gaining a benefit at draft time.

Hypothetically of course.........

Why just ask Redleg?

rpfc? What do you think?

No, it isn't tanking. Because you can't legislate against those actions unless you find motive that the intention is to not win.

I swear if we tank another year I'm changing clubs.

We never have Tanked,and you wont.

• Like 1