Training - Wednesday 23rd January, 2013

Demon Head

I got down to Gosch’s Paddock this morning. After chatting to Jordie McKenzie it became apparent that Wednesday is not the best day to get to training. He said most of those on lightened loads did the full session on Mondays and Fridays, and then did minimal weight-bearing stuff on a Wednesday. For example, McKenzie, Evans, Spencer, Gawn and Viney did some stoppage work at the start of the session, and then they headed inside for a bike session

Other observations:

-I didn't see Toumpas, but I arrived at 9.30. Trengove and Joel Mac walked some laps and then went inside with the others and did a bike session.

-Clark did some very light 20m straight-line running and that was all.

-Taggert, Grimes, Jamar, Davey and Hogan did some stuff inside and then came out and walked some laps.

-Bail did repeat effort running by himself for the duration of the session.

-Dawes continued to impress me with his mobility at ground level and his strength in marking contests. He rag-dolled Gillies at least a couple of times that I saw.

-Frawley spent part of the session working with the forward-line group. Perhaps Neeld sees him as an option down there until big Mitch gets right, considering that we already have Garland, Gillies, Watts, McDonald and Sellar who can play KDP roles???

-It was a very busy session. There were 2 AFL umpires taking the full ground stuff again It mostly focused on ball movement from defence to attack, using both sides of the ground, and on working hard defensively when we don’t have the footy.

-Dean Kent is a beautiful kick. Twice I found myself applauding him hitting targets 50m away.

-Clisby and Stark did most of the session. Stark struggled a bit to pick up the pace of training, but Clisby was calm, made good decisions and used the ball well. I had a chat to Mitch Clisby and he said he was happy to be doing something other than just running laps.

-Tappy completed the session. If he continues to build his tank I think he can useful as a high half forward.

-Fitzy was jumping out of his skin. He got on the end of a couple and took some strong marks on the lead. If he can improve this area of his game he can be really dangerous t AFL level.

I will be amazed if Fitzpatrick makes it. Neeld doesn't seem to want to hang onto blokes who aren't natural footballers. I remember when drafted that his junior highlights package was the only one I'd seen without any highlights.

This year is surely his very last chance, given Cook just got the chop after two years.

• Like 1

I will be amazed if Fitzpatrick makes it. Neeld doesn't seem to want to hang onto blokes who aren't natural footballers. I remember when drafted that his junior highlights package was the only one I'd seen without any highlights.

This year is surely his very last chance, given Cook just got the chop after two years.

Have you ever seen him play at Casey, or just the Junior highlights?

Suggest you have a look, such a sweeping statement can come back and hurt you

Cook was a completely different case

I confess to having doubts about your spelling :)

Guilty..... Bloody pedant.

I'm excited about this Dunne fellow. Anyone have anymore info on him?

See Above

Hey bbo, nice report. do you have to let your parole officer know when you come to the big smoke?

He comes with me.

• Like 1

-Tappy completed the session. If he continues to build his tank I think he can useful as a high half forward.

I think thats his best spot too. A game late-ish last year saw him playing that role particulary well, taking a lot of strong marks at full pace then delivering into the 50. Early Ryan O'Keefe kind of role.

• Like 2

Guest Spirit of 39
I think thats his best spot too. A game late-ish last year saw him playing that role particulary well, taking a lot of strong marks at full pace then delivering into the 50. Early Ryan O'Keefe kind of role.

That was the Adelaide game. (Our last home game at the G.) He lead up hard at the ball carrier. Marked strongly. And he delivered the footy particularly well. When he is fitter and can cover more ground he will be a real asset.

So an average of 1.4 free kicks per game against him is too mamy?

I do really love how one person puts something in a post on this board and it becomes a self perpectuating myth

And I would suggest that he gets to more contests to tackle and maybe give frees away.

Jonesy has same average, would you like to say the same about him? And Jordie McKenzie is higher

How many times does Bail get the ball in comparison to Jones? Half the time at most...

Also Jordie is a tagger which as a result of his role he will be more likely to give away more free kicks...

I haven't analysed the stats, but I know that when I watch Bail play he seems to make more silly mistakes and give away more stupid free kicks than others in the team. Others on this site have mentioned it too so I'm not Robinson Crusoe in my belief.

How many times does Bail get the ball in comparison to Jones? Half the time at most...

Also Jordie is a tagger which as a result of his role he will be more likely to give away more free kicks...

I haven't analysed the stats, but I know that when I watch Bail play he seems to make more silly mistakes and give away more stupid free kicks than others in the team. Others on this site have mentioned it too so I'm not Robinson Crusoe in my belief.

there can be an over reliance on stats - they are black and white figures on paper with no colour. There are free kicks and free kicks and Bail does tend to get clumsy and "bull at a gate"

Edit - I havent looked at Scott Thompson's free kick stats but he is another that goes in too quickly and without thought and gives away "dumb" free kicks

Edited by nutbean

adnmittedly just when Casey is on TV and his 2 games for the Dees, but his skills look very average, and genral reading of the play is not an asset of his either.

I will be staggered if he makes it as a key forward. Just Staggered I reckon his only chance is as a switch hitting 2nd ruck/sometimes forward.

this will be his 4th season, so you would expect its now or never.

adnmittedly just when Casey is on TV and his 2 games for the Dees, but his skills look very average, and genral reading of the play is not an asset of his either.

I will be staggered if he makes it as a key forward. Just Staggered I reckon his only chance is as a switch hitting 2nd ruck/sometimes forward.

this will be his 4th season, so you would expect its now or never.

I admit I have not been able to get to many training sessions in previous seasons but watching him this preseason he compared to the little viewings previously he looks "different" this time out. His pace for his size stands out and his skills look good. But he does still look a little tentative and unsure at points but he looks like he may have turned a corner.

4th season see Newton, Dunn, Paul Johnson etc.

It's nice to see a few players that have battled injuries such as Davey and Sylvia have some positive reports coming from training. A Refreshing take from the overreaction machine that is 'Demonland'

Thanks for all the reports hombres.

Also, bitter but optimistic, i have to ask, is that actually you in your pic?

I agree. I believe Fitzy will have a pretty solid year barring injury. After watching him at Casey last year he is a cut above that league. I wouldn't be surprise if he becomes a regular in the senior side in the second half of the year.

I admit I have not been able to get to many training sessions in previous seasons but watching him this preseason he compared to the little viewings previously he looks "different" this time out. His pace for his size stands out and his skills look good. But he does still look a little tentative and unsure at points but he looks like he may have turned a corner.

4th season see Newton, Dunn, Paul Johnson etc.

The big thing I have noticed is when this FD came on board during last years pre season they were continually on his back about his work rate (he wasn't the only one there), he would kick the ball and just wonder off like some dopey player in the local comp then wonder what all the yelling was about. This year I haven't noticed this at all, he seems to be training like a real AFL footballer, the transformation must have happened during the season or he would not be on the list. Time will tell if he makes it but at least he has pulled his finger out and is giving himself a chance.

• Like 1

Bail is the 1st (maybe the 4th or 5th) player picked every week if his head is clear.

He is a real goer, who works hard and loves the contest - Neeld type of player...along with Jordie, very much appreciated and respected by the FD.

As an aside, used to be good mates with Gys, tried to help him to do extra sessions, but Gys refused - they had a falling out. True story.

Guest Spirit of 39
Bail is the 1st (maybe the 4th or 5th) player picked every week if his head is clear.

He is a real goer, who works hard and loves the contest - Neeld type of player...along with Jordie, very much appreciated and respected by the FD.

As an aside, used to be good mates with Gys, tried to help him to do extra sessions, but Gys refused - they had a falling out. True story.

Gys and Ro Bail had a falling out? Do you know what is was over?

Thanks DH. I'm looking forward to an even more comprehensive report later in the day. :lol:

You sarcast,you.

It's nice to see a few players that have battled injuries such as Davey and Sylvia have some positive reports coming from training. A Refreshing take from the overreaction machine that is 'Demonland'

He's hot-ask Ben Hur, even sexier in the flesh.

http://m.afl.com.au/news/2013-01-23/photo-gallery-wednesday-23th-january'>Photo Gallery

Features Mitch Clark doing walk throughs and Dom Barry looking like someone who weighs 70kg and not 78kg as previously advertised.

Anyone remember how skinny Stephen Tingay looked when he first came to the club and how he developed into a solid unit in a short space of time?

I hope Barry follows the Tingay model and not the Morton one.

• Like 1

Is that you in the background, BBO, in that last photo where Howe is kicking? Incognito as tennis fan perhaps?

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/2013-01-23/photo-gallery-wednesday-23th-january