Jack Grimes to wear #31

ignition.

I'd normally agree on making your own history with your own number but Ronald Dale was the greatest Demon of all to pull on the Melbourne jumper and to see Jack running around in 31 will be amazing.

No-one has done the no.. 31 justice since Ronald Dale Barassi.

Apart from wheaters kicking super goals for fun in NAB cup matches

This has CS all over it too, jack knows the history and the respect the #31 deserves here, good to see blokes passionate about the jumper and the # they carry (mitch as well)

• Like 1

I'm probably alone, but I don't like this. Let the man make his own history in his own jumper number. 16 was Jack Grimes, in my mind.

Definitely not alone. I hate this decision. I hate number changes, I hate this ridiculous notion that numbers are more than just numbers and that certain numbers 'mean more' than others.

It's not just a number. That IS the point.

Neeld said in the piece on the website that he normally just lets players have their numbers and make their own history but that 31 at the MFC is different.

And he is right.

It is more than just a number.

Rubbish. It is just a number. Pure and simple.

Barrassi isn't the only MFC star. His number isn't, and shouldn't be, put on a greater pedestal than any others'.

Grimes came to the club and was given 16. If he's the gun we think he is (and surely that's why the club gave him 31), then I want to see him make 16 his own number and make 16 the next 31.

• Like 1

Definitely not alone. I hate this decision. I hate number changes, I hate this ridiculous notion that numbers are more than just numbers and that certain numbers 'mean more' than others.

Barrassi isn't the only MFC star. His number isn't, and shouldn't be, put on a greater pedestal than any others'.

Grimes came to the club and was given 16. If he's the gun we think he is (and surely that's why the club gave him 31), then I want to see him make 16 his own number and make 16 the next 31.

Well the I disagree, but it's all moot now. He's in 31.

Edited by rpfc

Those who would have that theres little in a number whether it be symbolism, history, empowerment or recognition I can only suggest a quick word with Mitch !

• Like 1

You're right he isn't the only MFC star. But there is very few MFC legends of the club and he is one. Clearly the number is put on a greater pedestal by the club than any other or others, whether you like it or not.

What's done is done.

Just watched the vid of Grimes and Barrass on the club website.

Bit nauseating to be honest .. No. 31 the musical

Like BRFE on the previous page, I'm a bit over the constant focus on the past.

Having said that, if this is a move to make the no. 31 guernsey the captain's jumper permanently, it should help end the perpetual discussion surrounding who is / isn't good enough to wear it.

and i suppose footy is just a game played with a ball

and MFC is just a club that plays footy

and t-u is just another poster on a web site

sigh

• Like 1

You're right he isn't the only MFC star. But there is very few MFC legends of the club and he is one. Clearly the number is put on a greater pedestal by the club than any other or others, whether you like it or not.

What's done is done.

especially ..not many legends walking around still !!

I like it.

At all clubs some numbers have a greater sense of history. We have 31 (Robbies #2 isn't bad either) - tigers have a special place for 17, number 3 at the doggies, 23 at the hawks, probably 18 at North just to name a few. Our young club captain had the honour of growing up in a demon family, he would be absolutely over the moon to have inherited 31, and knows the history of the number intimately. unless he gets pushed out down the track he will end up a 10 year+ player with many accolades to his name to add to the mystique of the number. As captain of the club he may well have asked for it, we will never know, but as I said earlier I like it

• Like 1

I'm not a fan of players being in the shadow of former players. Barassi is not the be all and end all of Melbourne. I didn't even see the musical. Let Grimes become a champion, I hope he is better than Barassi by the end of his career, I hope all of our players are. I'm pretty sure Grimes won't change clubs near the end of his career either. I doubt wearing 31 will change his game. He is not gonna be looking at his back when he has to take an important mark or lay a tackle.

45 had that for TJ.

How dare you (I'm a little flattered, boys).

Maybe I am projecting thoughts into 45s head...

I don't know what to think anymore!

Should've just stayed with 45.

Not particularly thrilled with it. Don't see the need, don't see how it will change culture at all. But, at the end of the day, it won't affect how he plays and he has, in my opinion, his best footy in front of him.

Not membership burning stuff, but not the best decision from my point of view - especially for the username side of things!

I just get stuck in the simulacra of our past. The further that we move away from it, the more we feel the need to underline it and remind everyone of it. Stuff that. Respect your history, but don't let it determine your future. That's the stamp I'd be putting on it - look to the future.

• Like 2

How dare you (I'm a little flattered, boys).

I don't know what to think anymore!

Should've just stayed with 45.

Not particularly thrilled with it. Don't see the need, don't see how it will change culture at all. But, at the end of the day, it won't affect how he plays and he has, in my opinion, his best footy in front of him.

Not membership burning stuff, but not the best decision from my point of view - especially for the username side of things!

I just get stuck in the simulacra of our past. The further that we move away from it, the more we feel the need to underline it and remind everyone of it. Stuff that. Respect your history, but don't let it determine your future. That's the stamp I'd be putting on it - look to the future.

Yeah, I get that but this isn't "giving Lucas Cook the number of Cordner" this is the best leader we have, who also happens to be a very good player, who happened to be asked by a coach who has been here a year but knows - 31 is THE number of the Dees while Barassi is the dominant figure of the club.

And since Jimmy has left us, RDB is that figure.

I don't go into sentimental crap too often but this I enjoyed - I especially like the fact that Neeld was the driver and approver of the move.

Ultimately, it means little to anyone but us - supporters.

I see it as bringing ownership of the number (from a club, coach and player perspective) into the modern MFC age - nothing to do with 'give the kid a number from the past because the past is all we've got'.

It we can't bring such an important number with us on this, the new 'journey', what soul-less bland entity are we?

• Like 1

Andy Lovell will be shattered.

• Like 1

Yeah, I get that but this isn't "giving Lucas Cook the number of Cordner" this is the best leader we have, who also happens to be a very good player, who happened to be asked by a coach who has been here a year but knows - 31 is THE number of the Dees while Barassi is the dominant figure of the club.

And since Jimmy has left us, RDB is that figure.

I don't go into sentimental crap too often but this I enjoyed - I especially like the fact that Neeld was the driver and approver of the move.

Ultimately, it means little to anyone but us - supporters.

None of this explains why the move is necessary. I disagree with the decision of his to change numbers. That's fine, he probably cares as much for my opinion as I care of his on my career choices.

I see what you're saying and their rationale. It doesn't mean i agree with it, however.

I like players staying in a number if it can be helped - he was 16 to me. But, oh well, he's 31 now.

I especially like the fact that Neeld was the driver and approver of the move.

Why?

If Neeld was the driver of the move, then obviously he would approve of it! That certainly doesn't make it right.

I prefer players to make their own mark and hence make a number their own - obviously, as time goes by, new players will take over the mantle of a particular number from a previous champion - that's life, that's football (apologies to Al Pacino) - but let's not make it artificial. Some of us are old enough to remember John Townsend!

As a Club, we need to forge our own future, not live in the past - and yes, I admit to often quoting the past, but it is the future built on the players at the time that really matters!

Grimes should have kept 16 - he was well on the way to making it his number for a long time - I will still enjoy watching him play, but something will always be missing.

• Like 2

I understand those who are hesitant for reasons stated but I'm in favour. Seeing someone like Grimes take the number, who absolutely bleeds for this club, will be something pretty special. It's simply not right that Voldy is the last one to have worn it and that is being rectified. C'mon you mighty Demons.

• Like 1

I was more in favour of giving the number to one of the more mature recruits but have no concerns with it being given to Jack Grimes. He has the head to deal with the number ... and after all's said and done ... it is just a number as others have said.

I do like the concept of celebrating the club's history. We weren't always as bad as we have been the last five years and sometimes you can make a better future by drawing on the richness of your history. Ron Barassi represents the very richest part of our past so why not give Jack the chance to clean up the mess made by its previous custodian.

• Like 4