WELCOME TO THE MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB - SHANNON BYRNES

Pates

Ah is is just so great for us to have so many really positive true supporters.

So, he may not have been able to break into the strong Cats team, but he is renowned as a hard worker and has big match experience, so should add to the MFC lineup.

But there is no pleasing some folk.

And welcome Shannon - we are not all negative tossers by the way.

Negative tossers just took it a little too far, champ.

Not by himself, any more than any single player would, but you build a house brick by brick, and he's a more than useful brick to have, both onfield and off. We've all been calling out for strong, experienced, older players at the club, and he seems to tick all those boxes. Neeld, Craig and co. know what they're doing.

Haven't we just prematurely retired strong, experienced, older players from the club.

I'm amazed people can't see the upside here. No, he's not Tippett. But if you're looking for that one player who's going to lift us above his shoulders and carry us from our current misery to glory then you're going to be spending the rest of your life disappointed.

Of course you are talking to me. Could have quoted what I said, instead of trying to go about it in a back handed way. You know I don't care to argue with you.

Anyways, I never said I see no upside. He seems like a lovely guy, he knows what it takes to win a flag, it's all very good.

But these types of players don't excite me. They are good for the culture, and they help strong teams with gun players to finish the job off. I just don't think Byrnes has the talent required to actually make any significant impact on our list, be it next year or the year after that. He isn't a gun midfield and he isn't a key position forward, which are the two things we desperately need.

That doesn't mean we shouldn't try to fill some of the other holes in the team, as we have, but you and I both know that this signing is pretty minor in the grand scheme of things. It's about as exciting as drafting Magner was. Not very.

I wish I could get excited about minor wins, but this team has sucked the life out of me by continuing to be absolutely woeful year after year, drafting poorly and developing poorly.

So you'll excuse me if my only reaction to this signing is "meh", but I honestly feel nothing, good or bad, about Byrnes coming to the club. And again, this has nothing to do with Byrnes as a player, and I wish him all the best and I truly hope he makes us a better side, no matter how minimally.

• Like 3

Have to say I'm surprised how many of supporters are completely missing the point of why we'd recruit Shannon Byrnes. Don't be distracted by his shortcomings or the fact he spent time this year in Geelong's reserves. If fit, he's a starter at the MFC.

Byrnes is a good fit. Like Clarke before him he could go straight into our leadership group, especially if Rivers departs.

Of course you are talking to me. Could have quoted what I said, instead of trying to go about it in a back handed way. You know I don't care to argue with you.

For what it's worth I really only had you in mind for the last paragraph. For the first two I had in my focus the amazing contributions from the likes of McQueen and wizardofoz. Quoting is way too much effort. :P

Anyway, I think this is one of the types of situation free agency is designed to engineer; a player who doesn't add much to his current side now has an open door in to a club that needs him a lot more without the need to roll the dice in the draft. It's a win for us and the system I think.

• Like 1

Anyway, I think this is one of the types of situation free agency is designed to engineer; a player who doesn't add much to his current side now has an open door in to a club that needs him a lot more without the need to roll the dice in the draft. It's a win for us and the system I think.

No doubt whatsoever about that.

This is what Free Agency was designed to do, however I'd probably be a lot more excited if we signed Goddard, just because he is a very good player, and Byrnes is well, not.

Point is, good luck to both parties, the best case is if this works out as the club hoped and we get a good solid contribution from Byrnes. If nothing else, we might actually get to see some crumbing next year, which I haven't witnessed since Aussie porked up and [censored] off.

Seriously... I don't expect him to come in and win the B&F, goal kicking and drag us into the top four but ANYONE who saw our matches against Sydney and Brisbane in round one would realize that we are sorely lacking leadership and good role models (I can think of maybe 3 who would fit that bill at the moment).

Let's get on board the reality bus here. Blokes like Goddard, Tippett and Cloke would be unlikely to come to the club as they are still youngish and looking for premiership success and are unlikely to want to join us and endure 4 years of pain. Byrnes has been there and done that so team success, while still important to him I would suggest, isn't the only thing keeping him in the game. It's clear he wants a senior game and is a quality individual to boot.

I know what we should do! Go back to the draft and bring in some more untried kids who won't develop under our current sh*&^y culture and then are crucified later for not living up to our unrealistic ideals.

I think you might find that Geelong's main list is just a tad stronger than ours and therefore possibly a little harder to break into... and correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't their magoos do reasonably well? We need experience, skill and pace and they are three things he does bring with him as well as a desire to play for our club.

Tell me who you would rather have that we could realistically convince to come to our club during this free agency period.

Their seconds won the Grand Final against Port Melbourne.

With Brynes in the team.

For what it's worth I really only had you in mind for the last paragraph. For the first two I had in my focus the amazing contributions from the likes of McQueen and wizardofoz. Quoting is way too much effort. :P

Nasher, I'm expressing an opinion that I don't think Byrnes is all that every other poster seems to think he's cracked up to be.

I also stated that I wish him the best.

Deleted post referencing Casey.

Byrnes is a good short term get, but he isn't going to help us climb out of the shithole we currently reside in.

actually i think thats exactly what he will do..ie help us climb. He mightnt be there when we reach the top but hell help us now.
  • Like 2

Their seconds won the Grand Final against Port Melbourne.

With Brynes in the team.

Yes, I actually did know that...it was a rhetorical question ;-) But thanks anyway.

Jaded - Putting Byrnes on par with Mags? They might share a similar work ethic, but the similarities more or less end there. This bloke has been there and done it.

The ship needs turning around and a Shannon Byrnes is exactly the type we need (among many that we need, admittedly).

In the words of Big Kev, I'm excited!

• Like 1

Let's put him on the Demonland banner. God knows we need a few additions to it, he's on a two year contract and most players that make the banner haven't lasted more than two years anyway :)

I jest but like most others I think this is a good get given where our list is at the moment for many of the reasons stated.

Welcome Shannon. Tell a few of the boys what is needed.

better still - show them !

Blown away that some people cant see the value in this signing, but its good that the majority seem to have a clue

What does Shannon bring to the MFC -

2 time premiership player for the Cats

Fantastic leader

Elite trainer (hes about to head to Kokoda beofre preseason even begins)

FIlls 2 needs for us - gives us a small forward (finally) and adds pace to the team

Cost us nothing but his salary

Knows what a strong culture is like

Fantastic team mate by all reports, a positive influence on the youngsters

This is a great pick up for the Demons, and hes going to be one of the guys leading the way come start of pre-season and the boys are going to love him.

• Like 1

Won the team leadership award at the Geelong B&F last night and was given a resounding ovation even though he was leaving. Seems like a bloke our young guys might like and listen to.

Costs close to nothing. Cannot see a downside.

Welcome to the MFC Shannon.

• Like 2

Byrnes won the Tom Harley Award, which is given to the player who best demonstrates the values of the team and the club on and off the field.

Sounds like exactly what we need.

• Like 2