• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

FAREWELL BRENT MOLONEY

RalphiusMaximus

I don't think any of us can really comment on this, it is all speculation and assumption. I find it fairly hard to believe that a lifelong clubman coming off a fantastic year could be so heavily affected by not being made captain. Surely at the very least, if in his position, you would still be motivated to perform in order to secure a good contract elsewhere. I can't help thinking there are other issues involved, perhaps personal issues outside the club, or in his relationship with Neeld.. is it possible he ha been carrying something? This is the guy who said, to paraphrase 'if you're not behind the direction the club is going then you can go elsewhere'.. doesn't anyone else find it strange his attitude could completely reverse with the appointment of a new coach? Surely the club recognises there are 2 things we are sorely lacking in leadership/experience and general hardness, which Beamer has in spades.Something is amiss, is all I'm saying.

I've vouched for his leadership in the past, out one night, Cameron Bruce tried to round up the troops as it was getting late, no one listened. 5 Minutes later Moloney said let's go and everyone up and left.

In hindsight, he was probably just leader of the party boys, he was popular amongst 'the boys' - not necessarily a true football leader. Especially not in the eyes of the new regime, who have assembled a pretty top notch group of leaders for our players to follow.

Beamer went from top dog to on the outer, and the example not to follow. I don't think it sat well with him, his footy was deplorable this year which renders him useless. Age and lack of speed just add to why it wasn't worth keeping around and trying to fit him back in.

• Like 2

I was a broken record on this at the end of 2011 and start of 2012 - Beamer averaged 8 touches less in losses than in wins. And that was in the year he won the Bluey and came 9th in the Chas.

He had trouble keeping up with the best midfields and as Neeld has said (http://www.afl.com.au/tabid/208/default.aspx?newsid=146068) - Moloney struggled to keep up with the game as it was moving faster and faster. The umpires got the game going quicker from stoppages and he couldn't set-up for contests.

• Like 2

Beamer's form during the year was deplorable, but it was the way he carried himself that ended his career at Melbourne. The team is far bigger than the individual under the new regime at our Club, and that's exactly how it must be. Unfortunately, I don't think Beamer saw it that way. IMO Melbourne are clear winners at this stage, but I will have no regrets if he gives Brisbane a couple of decent years.

• Like 2

I've vouched for his leadership in the past, out one night, Cameron Bruce tried to round up the troops as it was getting late, no one listened. 5 Minutes later Moloney said let's go and everyone up and left.

In hindsight, he was probably just leader of the party boys, he was popular amongst 'the boys' - not necessarily a true football leader. Especially not in the eyes of the new regime, who have assembled a pretty top notch group of leaders for our players to follow.

Beamer went from top dog to on the outer, and the example not to follow. I don't think it sat well with him, his footy was deplorable this year which renders him useless. Age and lack of speed just add to why it wasn't worth keeping around and trying to fit him back in.

I think you're right. Plus the accumulation of change at the club didn't sit well with him and he wanted freedom. Simply didn't want to be a part of the new professionalism in a way. It's a shame because I believe every club needs a component of that sort of character as long as they can pull in the same direction. I wish him well at Brisbane, and I'm sure he will enjoy his time up there under Voss and Browny.

• Like 2

I just wait for him to do what many ex Demons do to us and that is star when he plays against us.

I think you'll find he'll have a swag of decent (and quicker) opposition against him.

He'll see the future Melbourne, he won't find it pretty !! Lol

Some players just work better under and for different coaches. It's the same in any workplace.

Neeld clearly has a dictatorial (probably too harsh a word - authoritarian is probably more accurate), schoolteacher-esque style that seems to work better with the younger players than the older players (unsurprisingly). Combined with the LG clean out, it's not surprising that most reports of player dissatisfaction this year revolved around the older players. Reading between the lines, it seems that he and Moloney must have had some harsh words early in the season and those burnt bridges weren't fully repaired. Doesn't mean he is a bad (or good) coach - I think it's way too early to make that call - but he certainly has a distinct style. He is more of a Parkin than a Roos.

Matthew Knights did a similar thing at Essendon - he famously dressed down Dustin Fletcher in front of the entire group and lost the respect of a lot of the senior playing group (Fletcher, while not untouchable of course, is a bit of a father figure over there and by all accounts Knights went way over the top just to set an example which didn't go down well).

It didn't work there, but this kind of coaching might be exactly what the younger Dees need (the coaching group and admin have pretty clearly indicated that developing the younger players is far and away the number one priority and the older players have to adapt or clear out - fair enough too - and Moloney was unable or unwilling to do this and so chose the latter option). Only time will tell.

But anyway, I think that's one of the great things about FAgency: players now have a say in finding the coach they can work best with now, as well as vice versa.

Edited by cfe
  • Like 1

All the best beamer, loved your work pre 2012.

You seemed to always dominate when we won, some great memories against Essendon!

Well said. Don't really understand the contempt for him. A limited footballer, things didn't work out, best of luck Beamer!

Some players just work better under and for different coaches. It's the same in any workplace.

Neeld clearly has a dictatorial (probably too harsh a word - authoritarian is probably more accurate), schoolteacher-esque style that seems to work better with the younger players than the older players (unsurprisingly). Combined with the LG clean out, it's not surprising that most reports of player dissatisfaction this year revolved around the older players. Reading between the lines, it seems that he and Moloney must have had some harsh words early in the season and those burnt bridges weren't fully repaired. Doesn't mean he is a bad (or good) coach - I think it's way too early to make that call - but he certainly has a distinct style. He is more of a Parkin than a Roos.

Matthew Knights did a similar thing at Essendon - he famously dressed down Dustin Fletcher in front of the entire group and lost the respect of a lot of the senior playing group (Fletcher, while not untouchable of course, is a bit of a father figure over there and by all accounts Knights went way over the top just to set an example which didn't go down well).

It didn't work there, but this kind of coaching might be exactly what the younger Dees need (the coaching group and admin have pretty clearly indicated that developing the younger players is far and away the number one priority and the older players have to adapt or clear out - fair enough too - and Moloney was unable or unwilling to do this and so chose the latter option). Only time will tell.

But anyway, I think that's one of the great things about FAgency: players now have a say in finding the coach they can work best with now, as well as vice versa.

I think the "dictatorial - authoritarian - school teacher-esque" style gets overplayed a bit about Neeld. I think some people here - not you cfe, because you're new - use it because they acknowledge change is occurring; some have their noses out of joint.

They don't blink when a Malthouse, a Worsfold, a Parkin, a Pagan, a Clarkson go about their business in their manner because they've been doing it for a while. Sheedy would have been the same early days. You think these guys didn't cause any dissatisfaction at their respective clubs? They did. Time and again.

Because Neeld is new and young, I believe some here view him as the "who is this upstart, who does he think he is changing the fabric and way we do things" type.

I dare say many of the coaches mentioned would do the same if in Neeld's position.

• Like 2

As a side point - another great aspect of FA (the best part IMO) is Delisted FA that starts Nov 1. Finally discarded players can have certainty over where they go from next year rather than go through the vagaries of the draft.

Was at Brisbane airport last night, waiting for the same plane as Beamer.

He looked fit, and the smile, as well as his iPhone, didn't leave his head for the hour or so that he was there.

He was with a sickly, smirking character, who might have been his manager. I took an instant dislike to him. Chewing gum like he was some big shot Baseball manager or something. Looked like the sort of bloke who carries a knife in his sock.........

Don't know why I bothered posting that.

Anyway...............

Good luck Beamer, I hope everything works out well for you.

• Like 3

I've posted this in another thread, but I think its rightful home is here, given the discussion of Beamer's dissatisfaction with Neeld's approach:

It would have hurt the Club more to keep saying Moloney was on the right track and that he was required, when obviously internally he was not rated by the coaching staff at all, and was seen to have chucked a hissy fit having been relieved of a position in the leadership group.

It was better for the club as a whole to make an example of Beamer, and show that the club was incredibly serious about the need for all players to be on board with the direction the club was heading. Yes, it's not a good look for a club's reigning B&F to be searching for a trade mid-year, however it was obvious to all that he was butting heads with the now incumbent football department. To allow this to continue would only have undermined the message that the FD are trying to sell, and if this lessens the pick value we get for Brent, then so be it. The intangible value that this move shows further strengthens the vision of the Club, showing that regardless of standing, if you refuse to meet minimum standards or follow the instructions of the coaching panel, you WILL NOT get a game with Melbourne.

As far as I'm concerned, this only paints the MFC in a better light, as they are trying to instil a professional environment, where it was arguable that one didn't exist before, and one disgruntled player is not above what the club is trying to achieve.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out, Beamer.

• Like 1

Was at Brisbane airport last night, waiting for the same plane as Beamer.

He looked fit, and the smile, as well as his iPhone, didn't leave his head for the hour or so that he was there.

He was with a sickly, smirking character, who might have been his manager. I took an instant dislike to him. Chewing gum like he was some big shot Baseball manager or something. Looked like the sort of bloke who carries a knife in his sock.........

Don't know why I bothered posting that.

Anyway...............

Good luck Beamer, I hope everything works out well for you.

G'day bloke...

Brent Moloney bled Red & Blue

only when he got his own way.

G'day bloke...

The bar is in full swing mate. Let me know when you are heading that way again. I'm back for 6 weeks nov/dec. :-)

Beamer loved the club, he just saw things differently to our coaching staff.

I think he will be a good pickup for Brisbane.

The bar is in full swing mate. Let me know when you are heading that way again. I'm back for 6 weeks nov/dec. :-)

Beamer loved the club, he just saw things differently to our coaching staff.

I think he will be a good pickup for Brisbane.

might visit next year mate. Davao is a cool place. I went to Mati as well recommended.

Our new coaching staff want success. Beamer just wanted to be king.

People reading too much into why he is going.

The game went past him. He cannot run with either pace or endurance. He becomes a liability when his opponent leaves him 20, 30 metres behind. He rarely got a kick outside the centre square last year, and cannot play any other position.

A good footballer, who would have been an absolute star 20 years ago.

Fortunately the coaching staff we have now are realists, and won't hang on to players who are trying to make good their superannuation.

We have been screwed too many times in the past by "favourite sons of the Club"

• Like 2

So was Baileys authoritarian style the reason Beamer had a problem with binge drinking, inevitably having some effect on his performance.

Was Bailey's authoritarian streak the reason Beamer played at Geelong when he must have known he was in no fit state to take the field.

Nah, it's all Neelds fault. Should have molly coddled the spoilt brat

• Like 6

That's a big gain for Brisbane Lions. have a look at Beamers stats and he will bounce back.

In 2012, he lacked a yard of pace and with a full pre season in the Qld sun, Beamer could be a very good pickup. His durability over the past 4-5 years has been very good.

Very very sad to see a Demons supporter, Demons player, and ripping bloke, move on in such circumstances.

The AFL free agent compo will be tested. His credentials are strong, with a recent B&F, high finish in the Brownlow, and 122 games at MFC.

Good luck Brent. You will be welcome back ANYTIME.

• Like 2

That's a big gain for Brisbane Lions. have a look at Beamers stats and he will bounce back.

In 2012, he lacked a yard of pace and with a full pre season in the Qld sun, Beamer could be a very good pickup. His durability over the past 4-5 years has been very good.

Very very sad to see a Demons supporter, Demons player, and ripping bloke, move on in such circumstances.

The AFL free agent compo will be tested. His credentials are strong, with a recent B&F, high finish in the Brownlow, and 122 games at MFC.

Good luck Brent. You will be welcome back ANYTIME.

family member?

Neeld clearly has a ... schoolteacher-esque style

It's a pity that anyone who has been a teacher gets saddled with this stereotype. Most of the time it's either irrelevant or untrue, just a convenient label for any type of authoritarianism.

Then again, I'm all for not taking crap from d**kheads, something teachers are good at.

• Like 2

So was Baileys authoritarian style the reason Beamer had a problem with binge drinking, inevitably having some effect on his performance.

Was Bailey's authoritarian streak the reason Beamer played at Geelong when he must have known he was in no fit state to take the field.

Nah, it's all Neelds fault. Should have molly coddled the spoilt brat

Ahhh, the simplistic approach. Always the one and only answer.