Jack Watts, Forward or Back in 2013?

ashdemons22

Do we keep Jack in the backline as loose defender or do we give him the task of going back to the forward line and to partner up with M Clark and try get him to be a 30+ goal kicker for the year.

Edited by ashdemons22

Without Rivers he has to stay back and do his cheap intercept thing and then set up the play until Grimey and TMac learn to kick, but

if he wants to really contribute he should play a roaming non stop running role like Goodes and let them chase him all over the ground

If we had another backman who was as good a kick as watts then i would say put him in the fwd line with clark but as we don't he stays there. if we get maschall and he is as good a kick as everyone says he is then i think watts would be good up fwd, but is he strong enough yet???

Lets see who we get in the player circus, then come back to this question I think.

• Like 2

Without Rivers he has to stay back and do his cheap intercept thing and then set up the play until Grimey and TMac learn to kick, but

if he wants to really contribute he should play a roaming non stop running role like Goodes and let them chase him all over the ground

yes, yes and yes. he has to have a running, freelancing role. he is an unconventional footballer, and has to be used according to his strengths. i doubt he will ever be a contested mark on the forward line.

• Like 2

I think he should be tried on the wing.

Let's be honest I won't call Jack soft because I don't think anyone running around at the top level is, but he doesn't attack the footy with tenacity when the ball is in the air, the way Mitch Clark, Darling, Cloke and all the best key forwards do.. so I don't think he can become elite there (unless he improves in this aspect).

Down back he lacks strength to play on opposition key forwards, but does a good job reading the play. An option.

Let him play on the wing with 'free reign' to drift forward and back. His best attribute is the lateral movement and decision making, similar to Pendlebury in a way, and of course his foot skills. Don't see why he can't become a very handy wingman and rack up 25 touches a game once he gets his fitness in check.

He's always going to be a rake (doesn't have the frame to get much bigger) so it's wingman/utility for mine. I still hold out some hope of him becoming an elite player because there aren't many players at 197cm who possess the skill set and athleticism Jack is blessed with.

• Like 1

I've given up caring.

It's his fifth year, he'll be 22, he has no more excuses. I've been soft on him so far, but I'll be watching his output closely in 2013. It's time to stand up. He doesn't have to be the best player we've got, but he better have a crack. I want to see courage in the air.

• Like 5

I see more similarities with Pendlebury than Goodes. Pendlebury is an ex basketballer who is tall for a midfielder, has excellent lateral movement, quick hands, excellent disposal and bring others into the game. Watts has all of this. Perhaps we should be grooming him as a midfielder?

• Like 3

I am now a doubter that he will become the promised KPF he was drafted as...he just doesn't look like bulking up

Having said that if we can turn him into a beau waters/grant birchall/ bj goddard type rebounding defender he could become a real weapon.

Another strong attribute he has is his clean hands below the knees. wouldn't mind seeing how he goes on a wing as a link up, outside mid running type. his combination of size, speed and agility could work well out in space not unlike an isaac smith or lewis jetta

If we had another backman who was as good a kick as watts then i would say put him in the fwd line with clark but as we don't he stays there. if we get maschall and he is as good a kick as everyone says he is then i think watts would be good up fwd, but is he strong enough yet???

who?

Lets see how he shapes up after the pre-season . If he's muscled up a bit then he could be tried in a number of positions .

He can rack up possessions in the backline as a sweeper type but he needs to use the ball better . His disposal is not a problem but those short , sideways kicks seem such a waste . He should be running through the lines and launching the ball to a leading target . Seems a no-brainer to me on how he can be best used across half-back . He's got the skills set once he's got the ball .

Or , as a few earlier posters have indicated , he could be given a sustained run in the midfield . Put him in the heat of the battle and see how he goes . He's not equipped to holding down a key forward or key back position (yet) though I can possibly see him holding down the FF spot in a couple of years time ( if/when he adds a bit of bulk and learns how to play in front consistently) . A few of us were saying some of this stuff a year ago and again 6 months ago :)

In a lot of ways he still looks like a 19yo out there . It could be that it might take an extra 2 years for him to develop than it would for other similar tall types . Above all else , he needs to attack the ball a lot more . Sticking him in the midfield may aid this process . Or it may not .

I reckon it's one of those situations where it's mainly up to Jack . Any coach is largely an onlooker and can only do so much .

Edited by Macca
  • Like 2

Guest KingDingAling

Another year on the backline. Then re-assess

Yeah I agree, I wouldn't mind him having another year down back, but on the best fowards out there.

We won't be challenging next year and Jack would learn more about being a foward - playing on the best fowards.

Worked for Neitz.

Watts ..forward or back?

I just wish he"d do either because, as Macca observed, currently he just goes sideways about 30 metres which does nothing to advance the team, but given he's usually 'free' and under no real pressure just keeps his disposal efficiency up and perpetuates the myth that is Jack Watts

Edited by IRW

Lets see how he shapes up after the pre-season . If he's muscled up a bit then he could be tried in a number of positions .

He can rack up possessions in the backline as a sweeper type but he needs to use the ball better . His disposal is not a problem but those short , sideways kicks seem such a waste . He should be running through the lines and launching the ball to a leading target . Seems a no-brainer to me on how he can be best used across half-back . He's got the skills set once he's got the ball .

Or , as a few earlier posters have indicated , he could be given a sustained run in the midfield . Put him in the heat of the battle and see how he goes . He's not equipped to holding down a key forward or key back position (yet) though I can possibly see him holding down the FF spot in a couple of years time ( if/when he adds a bit of bulk and learns how to play in front consistently) . A few of us were saying some of this stuff a year ago and again 6 months ago :)

In a lot of ways he still looks like a 19yo out there . It could be that it might take an extra 2 years for him to develop than it would for other similar tall types . Above all else , he needs to attack the ball a lot more . Sticking him in the midfield may aid this process . Or it may not .

I reckon it's one of those situations where it's mainly up to Jack . Any coach is largely an onlooker and can only do so much .

Good post.

I don't care. I think his skill set - clean kicking and good pace is better suited down back. The most important thing is that he plays at a high work rate and lifts his intensity. When he played at a good intensity he played good footy this year. When he wasn't attacking the game at 110% things started to unravel.

It's his fifth year, he'll be 22, he has no more excuses. I've been soft on him so far, but I'll be watching his output closely in 2013. It's time to stand up. He doesn't have to be the best player we've got, but he better have a crack. I want to see courage in the air.

Apologies for this ambush, BH, but you're smart enough and mature enough to deal with it...

I read this post and immediately thought of your views on Dunn:

I've been a huge critic of Dunn and won't lose sleep either way, but I lean towards retention. When it's been too hard for others he's still putting his bloody hand in the air and fighting it out. I've written him off more times than I care to count. But he has my grudging respect.

He's soft in the air, BUT, he's definitely improved from the early days. Once upon a time it was glaring and all to regular, but it's not as noticeable now, despite the poor attempt in the final game of the year. Josh Hunt has had similar issues and has still been a valuable member at the Cats.

I have plenty of others I'd move on ahead of him.

Now, for Watts, five years (one of which, admittedly, was a nothing year) is enough to warrant needing output and courage. 2013 will be Dunn's 9th year, and he has only gradually improved in the same areas (strength in the air, for example) as you want to see Watts improve in.

This is a view I think many on this board hold. Dunn seems to be getting positive comments and respect for showing minimal improvement in 8 years. Watts gets little respect and has the pressure of the world all over him for 2013 for showing minimal improvement in half that time.

Why the discrepancy?