Who's won you over this year?

stuie

Footy is an emotional game, even more so if you're a Dees supporter this year. So with that in mind, and in keeping with the recent trends on 'Land for manufacturing some positivity and looking at our list (a lot), I thought it might be a good time to reflect on who has won you over during the year. Might be a player you previously didn't rate, might be one who stood up, might even be an administrator or coach, but before we all get obsessed with the trade and draft period (although most of us have been since about May) let's get into a bit of a "love in" (thanks Mick)...

For me:

Clark - Was dubious about how successful a move it would be getting him, but is now probably my favourite player

Jonesy - Always loved this guy since day dot, but what a fantastic season

Grimesy - Finally put together a full season, and I've been massively impressed by his leadership

Blease - The spark plug! Didn't expect him to be SO quick, or kick 5 goals in a game

Riv - I was one of many who thought his time was coming to an end, but before being moved forward he would have been tracking not far behind Jonesy for the Bluey, and has done better than expected in the unfamiliar role up forward

McLardy - didn't know a heck of a lot about him before this year, but I've been really impressed with his level head, passion, and intelligence

And of course, there's been the birth of a star - Howie!

I know this thread might not be a lot of 'Landers cup of tea, and some may try and turn it into bashing players who have done the opposite of impress, but let's acknowledge the blokes who have turned it around, as they're the ones that will lift the club.

• Like 2

Clark, Howe and Tom McD are the obvious ones.

I was already a big fan of Watts but the way he handled being dropped was great. He came back a better player.

Joel Mac has won me over through his conistent desire for the footy and the contest (if not for his consistent disposals). He gets a new contract for me.

Zorko, Beams, Dangerfield, Cotchin, Jones, Clark, Kennedy, Roughead, Watson, Jack, Steven, Sloane, Griffin, Hayes, Mclean, Rockliff.

Some for very different reasons than others.

Won me over as opposed to thinking he( they ) already had my tick.:

Jones. Has really stepped up, well done.

A lot of other players either already had shown me their worth or are pretty much where they ought to be.

I had under rated Nathan. Happy to be shown to be wrong.

Neeld is doing as I expected. McLardy had runs on the board already,( npi )

I already admired Jones for his effort and tenacity, but he is becoming a complete player and has won me over as someone who'll be critical to our rise up.

Blease is another, knew he had attributes but has shown he's got what it takes. Will be interesting to see where he settles.

Tom McDonald for me.

I remember back to our first game against St Kilda this year when McDonald was matched up against Nick Riewoldt.

Riewoldt towelled him up for the first 10 minutes of the game, and if you'll look at the match day thread, you'll probably see me making a number of wise statements along the lines of "I have no idea how McDonald gets a game." Cut to the the Player of the Year votes after the game, and I think he featured in my top three.

Fair to say McDonald has certainly won me over this year.

• Like 2

Howe, Clark, Blease and more recently, Spencer.

Jones has been winning me over for almost three seasons now with his consistent improvement.

Edited by hardtack

the players that have impressed me this year are:

Clark: definitely worth the money we invested in him! dissapointing he got injured :(

Howe: Future superstar! he can mark anything, ver exciting to watch and skillful around the ground.

Watts: reinvented himself as a half-back who is an extremely gooduser of the ball when he has it and will hopefully improve even further next year :)

Blease: He has shown what he can become with another preseason or so, just needs full match fitness so he doesn't go in and out of games, just constantly there.

Spencer: I wondered what would happen with him at the start of the year! now i see him as a big part of our future with what he has put on show in the last handful of rounds. Good prospect

Jones has also impressed me but we were all already big fans of him! Grimes and Trengrove have both improved as the year has gone on as they have come to grips with the captaincy and the game plan. Bright future for us :)

Edited by young dee enthusiast

Spencer: I wondered what would happen with him at the start of the year! now i see him as a big part of our future with what he has put on show in the last handful of rounds. Godd prospect

Well, I guess if he is a potential BJ clone or the Second Coming that would be fine.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.