James Sellar - good pickup

Bang Bang Bang

Earlier in the year I said he only needed some confidence and to grab a few marks and he would be ok, which he did; now he needs to step up to the next level.

I reckon he's got it in him and he is, in reality, only in his second year of AFL, he had 8 games with the Crows and has had less than a season with us, give him another pre season and some direction where to play, I reckon he is better in the backline, and he could be very valuable for us.

I also think Neeld likes him and I would be very surprised if he doesn't get a contract.

Me too I was not a fan earlier in the year and wondered why on earth we picked him up.

But he has proved me wrong.

IMO he is worth a two year deal, don't believe he would cost the earth either.

Excellent role player and an excellent team player. He has more nous than Martin and I think he's worth persisting with. Switched forward recently too and looks like he could contribute well there too.

Might need to trim down a tad to get some of that quickness and vertical leap back in his game.

Just reading through some of the 2006 phantom drafts - James was certainly highly rated and even touted as a number one pick at one point.

Then again, so was Cale Morton.

If he held his marks he'd be twice the player he is now.

He is halfway there. He has enough confidence to go hard when off the ground. Just needs perhaps a little more composure once he is in the air. I reckon the coaching staff will punt that they can teach him that. And on that basis, they will extend him an offer.

Agree with all above, he also seems like a good honest bloke.

He has been a very serviceable pick up for mine. He can definitely make some improvements, but I feel that if he keeps going on the path that he has taken so far, he will prove his worth, as he has done a few times this season.

• Like 1

Me too I was not a fan earlier in the year and wondered why on earth we picked him up.

But he has proved me wrong.

IMO he is worth a two year deal, don't believe he would cost the earth either.

And me. Thought he looked very ordinary early on but couldn't fail to be impressed by his effortas the season progressed. Looks awkward at times but seldom manages to screw it up and sometimes exceeds all expectations. Can't be said of that many others......with the exception maybe, of Nate Jones & Jack Watts.

He's depth, shouldn't be much more. He's got a good spoil on him and he competes fairly well, but another "good endevour, poor skills and decision making", boy we seem to rack them up.

Excellent role player and an excellent team player. He has more nous than Martin and I think he's worth persisting with. Switched forward recently too and looks like he could contribute well there too.

Might need to trim down a tad to get some of that quickness and vertical leap back in his game.

Just reading through some of the 2006 phantom drafts - James was certainly highly rated and even touted as a number one pick at one point.

Then again, so was Cale Morton.

Would have saved us a lot of trouble if Cale was taken at number one.

• Like 1

i wasn't convinced with sellar to begin with. didn't really do much but did enough to hold his place. He has impressed me a bit in the last few rounds pushing forward and kicking a few goals while ebing able to do his bit in the backline. he was a former rnd 1 draft pick so obviously there is talent there, he just needs confidence and he should get the opportunity next year to fully show what he is capable of. best of luck to him :)

I was skeptical when we drafted him... this was vindicated early. But Sellar has shown at Full Back that he can shut down big power forwards, and has good skills. The occasional fwd move or ruck relief is a bonus when we are short on manpower. Hopefully this gives Frawley more freedom to be a rebounder as a backman.

So far, a good move for draft #54.

He's depth, shouldn't be much more. He's got a good spoil on him and he competes fairly well, but another "good endevour, poor skills and decision making", boy we seem to rack them up.

I reckon his volleyball background helps in this area. Really impressed with the way his spoils are often directed toward a teammate. I noted this a couple of times in the Collingwood game. His control of the spoil almost made it an effective disposal.

My feeling with Sellar is that this is the first time that real faith is being shown in him. In his 5 or 6 years in the league, he has never played more games in a season than he has this year. The faith should build genuine confidence, and I think we will see James grow as a player if we continue to give him the time.

• Like 1

Interesting isn't it? MFC is frequently slated for poor development of players yet Sellar, who was on the scrapheap, has developed into a servicable part of the list. Good luck to hikmj!

I am seeing more and more signs that the 'poor development' thing might be a thing of the past.

We are turning more players like Sellar into serviceable, 7-8 year career type players, I reckon.

This year, the improvement shown by Blease, Jones, Howe, Tom McDonald and a few others gives me hope that we are on the right track in terms of getting the most out of players. Even Sylvia looks a bit more like he has got the message.

When you really boil it down, the only ones who have gone significantly backwards are some of the oldies like Moloney.

• Like 1

Do people not realise we picked him up because we got rid of Warnock and needed a big body defender????

He has been very serviceable in his role. Probably wouldn't have got as many games had we not had injury but far from the worst on our list. We can't have 22 Wayne Carey's. Stop looking at deficiencies and look at what he does right which is quite a few things.

• Like 2

I'm not convinced about James. I think he really gets the most out of himself but I would have thought as the club moves forward he's going to struggle. He just doesn't look dynamic enough to hold his spot in an improving team. His contested marking isn't where it needs to be and his foot skills and decision making are below what they should be.

Hopefully we can move away from players that are good spoilers or simply compete in the air. We need to find another big bodied player that can take a mark and adds more structure as opposed to filling a gap.

I do agree that he deserves another contract extension because up against big forward lines (North, WCE) he will be needed next year. 1 year and see what comes after that.

Had no idea why we drafted him and his early games did little to inspire.

But he looks at home down back and I like how he is a good kick and cool head with ball in hand. You could not say that about Warnock or any of our current defenders.

Anyway I doubt the children will be rushing to get the #30 on their back, but good sides have room for a J. Sellar. For a pick in the 50s I reckon we have done well.

to clarify do you mean good pick up or good pick up truck??