Melbourne gets better of Tom Scully trade

Demon2

We certainly haven't gotten the better of the deal. We never would have. Scully is already an established player and will be top-tier midfield. With draft picks it's an assumption that the player will be good. Scully is good, he's just inexperienced.

We got an OK deal, but GWS ended up with the player we wanted. Now we have to start from scratch.

Still, we got lucky with the picks. But to say we got the better end of the deal is assuming Melbourne will end up with better players.

Time to stop being blind Melbourne fans and be a little more realistic. Melbourne now has a lot of pressure to delivery at the draft table for a second time, because it already did once with Scully, which is indicative in the salary GWS offered him. I am optimistic they can, but it's not as simple as waving a magic wand and getting an awesome player. Cale Morton proves that. We got the raw end of the stick because we parted ways with someone we knew had the goods, and replaced him with draft picks that are, at this point, intangible, and realistically couldn't be considered tangible until the drafted players are contributing, at least in the capacity that Scully did. That's not "getting better of the trade".

I am still filthy that we lost Scully, if you can't half tell. The guy is exactly what our midfield needs right now.

Edited by Cudi_420

The term "super draft" for this year has been thrown around quite a bit, but it may not be the case. Draft 'guru' Emma Quayle tends to think now that it won't be the super draft as first thought. She has recently stated that it's very good at the pointy end, but not as much depth as it was first mooted.

Matt Rendell, who's responsible for the bulk of Adelaide's list, thinks it's the best draft ever.

But even if it's really only "super" at the pointy end, that's where we happen to be.

We certainly haven't gotten the better of the deal. We never would have. Scully is already an established player and will be top-tier midfield. With draft picks it's an assumption that the player will be good. Scully is good, he's just inexperienced.

We got an OK deal, but GWS ended up with the player we wanted. Now we have to start from scratch.

Still, we got lucky with the picks. But to say we got the better end of the deal is assuming Melbourne will end up with better players.

Time to stop being blind Melbourne fans and be a little more realistic. Melbourne now has a lot of pressure to delivery at the draft table for a second time, because it already did once with Scully, which is indicative in the salary GWS offered him. I am optimistic they can, but it's not as simple as waving a magic wand and getting an awesome player. Cale Morton proves that. We got the raw end of the stick because we parted ways with someone we knew had the goods, and replaced him with draft picks that are, at this point, intangible, and realistically couldn't be considered tangible until the drafted players are contributing, at least in the capacity that Scully did. That's not "getting better of the trade".

I am still filthy that we lost Scully, if you can't half tell. The guy is exactly what our midfield needs right now.

Well said Cudi.

We have to go back to the Poker table and recruit players from scratch. GW$ have stolen our pick. But they know what they have taken

This draft is a crucial moment in MFC history.

Edited by why you little
  • Like 1

Have we got that recruiting bloke from Collingwood yet? Or do we let a stop-gap take charge of a crucial drafting period?

I am confident the second part applies SMF

Gaff was pick 4 in 2010. He will be a great player.

Losing a number one draft pick is horrendous - particularly so early into that player's career.

However, there's a massive silver lining to this - and its name is Mitch Clark. He's arguably our most important player, and it seems we only had the dough needed to get the Clark deal done as a result of Scully giving us the bird.

So, I'm cool with that. I'm happy we got Clark. Scully's happy to be at GWS. And I'm happy the boring little nerd is there too.

• Like 8

Gaff was pick 4 in 2010. He will be a great player.

Losing a number one draft pick is horrendous - particularly so early into that player's career.

However, there's a massive silver lining to this - and its name is Mitch Clark. He's arguably our most important player, and it seems we only had the dough needed to get the Clark deal done as a result of Scully giving us the bird.

So, I'm cool with that. I'm happy we got Clark. Scully's happy to be at GWS. And I'm happy the boring little nerd is there too.

Great point ron.

Mitch clark is the best player on our list right now IMO and there is no way scully would be our best right now

The power forward is alot harder to find then a running mid.

Mitch is also a leader of men.

After this draft this will end up being the best thing that could have happen for this club.

Mitch also has just as much upside as scully once he has some mids who can feed him some great kicks.

So IMO we got a power forward who can lead this club back to were it need's to be were as im no so sure scully would have the same impact as BIG MITCH

GO DEES

• Like 2

Nice point Ron, I've been surprised at how well Mitch has played for us, he's a class act

We need to pull in a similar sized fish this trade period to beef up our midfield

Scully is already a good player and will be a wonderful A-level talent for GW$ foir the next 10 years.

To say that we got the better of this "deal" is ludicrous.

We need some luck with these picks to even reach break even.

We got the better end of the deal because we rid ourselves of a mercenary little snake with no sense of loyalty and a complete lack of integrity. We have done well.

We got the better end of the deal because we rid ourselves of a mercenary little snake with no sense of loyalty and a complete lack of integrity. We have done well.

Get over it. There are worse people going around. Same could be said of Mitch Clark who just saw $$$

Whats more important to me is that someone smacks Tom Scully.

Theres no school like the old school.

In two minds about this. Absolutely agree with the sentiment, but also don't want to feel like I'm sinking to the level of a dirty thug by supporting a smacking. If there is such a thing as a clean thug, then bring it on. A hard at it, uncompromising, 'get the f&*% out of my way' crunching, but in-the-run-of-play sort of smacking. I don't want to support a team of Campbell Browns.

What's more important to me is that we go out and do nothing short of a dismembering of the whole GWS team. Annihilation even. Anything less that that scale of magnitude, and we prove ourselves to be soft, bruise free, when we have as much motivation as any coach could wish for.

Whats more important to me is that someone smacks Tom Scully.

Theres no school like the old school.

I'd be surprised if any of the players feel as bitterly towards Scully as we supporters do.

Maybe he didn't get along with some players, maybe some will take the "culture" rejection personally, but I expect handshakes and smiles at the end of the match.

Get over it. There are worse people going around. Same could be said of Mitch Clark who just saw $$$

At least Clark looks like he wants to play for the team. My point is that we are better off with players whose actions show some desire to play for the club. I am well and truly over the other bloke.

i agree with crawf scully showed no emotion whats so ever when we won a game. he literally looked like he didn't even wanna be out there! good riddence to him will not be missed! and you all think cale morton cant kick! sheesh...