Melbourne gets better of Tom Scully trade

Demon2

yeah do that then actually look at the fixture

i really don't know why everyone is so glum at the moment. After the Sydney game I was as low as anyone, but in the last 3 weeks:

-have played 3 good/very good sides

-in the 12 quarters played we have performed well in 9 of them and miserably in 3 (which is better than 0-12!)

-have shown the courage, passion and desire that has been lacking until now

given our incredibly soft draw for the remainder I really see no reason at all why we won't smash all the bottom-sides and really take it up to some of the better sides, hopefully pinching a couple of them. I mean FFS we had the flag favourites totally on the ropes for about 45-50 minutes last week, we looked fantastic.

I'm kind of with you C & B but have the nagging being let down before by the boys. I have been impressed by the boys and hope they continue, unlike the Suns, GWS play to a decent structure and are not a free flowing side. We need the boys to continue the last 3 weeks form and put them away and not give them a sniff.

I trust Neeld will net let the boys think it's just going to happen

my feeling is that the AFL were fully aware of how badly we had been shafted in the whole ordeal, and did just what they should have, compensated us

I'm quite sure Demetrioussis would not have cared either way for our 'feelings'. However, we did have a CEO (Schwab) who opted not to spit the dummy publicly when it became clear to him what was going on.

He played 'the game' with a nod and a wink and the MFC got rewarded for it.

That final press conference where Schwab banged on and on about Scully becoming the highest paid player in the game had an air of being scripted months in advance IMO.

• Like 1

yeah do that then actually look at the fixture

i really don't know why everyone is so glum at the moment. After the Sydney game I was as low as anyone, but in the last 3 weeks:

-have played 3 good/very good sides

-in the 12 quarters played we have performed well in 9 of them and miserably in 3 (which is better than 0-12!)

-have shown the courage, passion and desire that has been lacking until now

given our incredibly soft draw for the remainder I really see no reason at all why we won't smash all the bottom-sides and really take it up to some of the better sides, hopefully pinching a couple of them. I mean FFS we had the flag favourites totally on the ropes for about 45-50 minutes last week, we looked fantastic.

Seriously 7 more wins? come on mate, time to get on mark neelds reality bus.

Clearly showing improvement which is great to see and should win a minimum of 3 more games but im not sure you can say in confidence that we will win 7 of our remaining 11.

Tanking issue will probably be raised as we dont really have anything to gain by winning more games at the latter end of the season.

Seriously 7 more wins? come on mate, time to get on mark neelds reality bus.

Clearly showing improvement which is great to see and should win a minimum of 3 more games but im not sure you can say in confidence that we will win 7 of our remaining 11.

Tanking issue will probably be raised as we dont really have anything to gain by winning more games at the latter end of the season.

How about some pride in the jumper? Is that worth anything?

I wasn't aware we'd 'traded' $cully. Didn't know being compensate for a scumbag walking out on us counted as being involved in a trade.

And some people pay good money for the Herald Sun. You might as well give your $1.10 to somebody in the street who actually needs it.

• Like 2

How about some pride in the jumper? Is that worth anything?

Of course it is, its ridiculous to suggest otherwise. In recent years gone you have seen clubs tank for draft picks, I expect the trend to continue

I wasn't aware we'd 'traded' $cully. Didn't know being compensate for a scumbag walking out on us counted as being involved in a trade.

And some people pay good money for the Herald Sun. You might as well give your $1.10 to somebody in the street who actually needs it.

If there was no Hun, that person on the street would be Mark Robinson and you would be giving your hard earned to the fat, know-nothing anyway...

• Like 5

yep, and because there are two picks involved, every ladder position is a one-spot upgrade tmes two.. 3+4 is so much better than 7+8

still, I personally am way past the tanking thing, we really really really need to start winning a few or the club is going nowhere IMO. I also get the feeling Neeld would probably smack anyone that said the T word to him, even in an MFC board room

from my thread the other day:

GWS x 2

GC

North

Brissy (Gabba)

Freo (Etihad)

Port (Darwin)

harder ones:

Freo (WA)

Saints

Richmond

Crows (MCG)

amazingly, out of the bottom 8 (not inc us) we play 7 of those sides, GWS and Freo twice. So only 2 games against top 8 sides out of the 11!

Edited by Curry & Beer

The term "super draft" for this year has been thrown around quite a bit, but it may not be the case. Draft 'guru' Emma Quayle tends to think now that it won't be the super draft as first thought. She has recently stated that it's very good at the pointy end, but not as much depth as it was first mooted.

I take from the article that Cam Schwab did some canny work behind the scenes to manoeuvre us into a position to claim 2 compo picks, when it could so easily have been one like the poor old Dogs got.

Some smart politics played there.

I think Cam knew he was gone early on and was positioning for the best compo throughout the whole of last season.

yep, and because there are two picks involved, every ladder position is a one-spot upgrade tmes two.. 3+4 is so much better than 7+8

still, I personally am way past the tanking thing, we really really really need to start winning a few or the club is going nowhere IMO. I also get the feeling Neeld would probably smack anyone that said the T word to him, even in an MFC board room

GWS x 2

GC

North

Brissy (Gabba)

Freo (Etihad)

Port (Darwin)

harder ones:

Freo (WA)

Saints

Richmond

Crows (MCG)

amazingly, out of the bottom 8 (not inc us) we play 7 of those sides, GWS and Freo twice. So only 2 games against top 8 sides out of the 11!

I understand where you are coming from but with the closest clubs to us all on 4 wins already, it will mean that if we win 7 more games we will only leapfrog the teams that can muster 3 or less wins from here as our percentage is so poor.

And the Lions in Qld and NM at Etihad will be tough.

I understand where you are coming from but with the closest clubs to us all on 4 wins already, it will mean that if we win 7 more games we will only leapfrog the teams that can muster 3 or less wins from here as our percentage is so poor.

And the Lions in Qld and NM at Etihad will be tough.

Somehow I doubt that Mitch Clark will let the Demons get beaten by the Lions twice in one season. Now that the team is starting to pick up some form and are working hard for all four quarters I am expecting this to be a cracking game and will definitely tip the Demons for a win.

• Like 1

GWS x 2

GC

North

Brissy (Gabba)

Freo (Etihad)

Port (Darwin)

harder ones:

Freo (WA)

Saints

Richmond

Crows (MCG)

Absolutely agree. Screw tanking, screw getting good picks, I want wins

However, reality:

We may beat GC and GWS (x2), when was the last time we beat North? Brissy pantsed us earlier in the year. Port are playing OK football

At the moment, we are the easy beats and these teams will be relishing having a game against us

Lets get 2 wins before we start talking about 7 more

The term "super draft" for this year has been thrown around quite a bit, but it may not be the case. Draft 'guru' Emma Quayle tends to think now that it won't be the super draft as first thought. She has recently stated that it's very good at the pointy end, but not as much depth as it was first mooted.

and our very own draft guru jayceebee too

After all the hype dies down, that seems to be the reconciled opinion for every draft since 1986 (with the exception of 2003 which wasn't even good at the 'pointy end' when we had two of the first five picks).

However, reality:

We may beat GC and GWS (x2), when was the last time we beat North? Brissy pantsed us earlier in the year. Port are playing OK football

At the moment, we are the easy beats and these teams will be relishing having a game against us

Id rather put a line through this season, cut the dead wood eg dunn bate and blood kids like taggert cook etc. Then next year our list will look a lot healthier and with another pre season of absolute quality under our belt we should improve ten fold. Probably asking a bit much but we got our recruiting wrong and we have to pay the price.

Well that is even better for us we will have 3 picks inside 25(subject to Trades) plus Jack Viney

We were better off as soon as Mitch Clark stepped into the club - draft picks aside.

If we had have kept Scully we certainly wouldn't have had the cabbage for Mitch and the extra room in the cap we'll need at the end of this year.

• Like 2

I think Cam knew he was gone early on and was positioning for the best compo throughout the whole of last season.

There were a few of us who got a sniff that maybe the club got wind a lot earlier than many suspect. And then were complicit in a little game of subtefuge to lull Vlad and cohorts into coughing up a treat. And the Academy goes to.............. "Were so hard done by"...from the crew ant the MFC.... here to accept the award is Cam :)

I think ol Irish sussed the jig was up for Voldmort and so began a little jig....to the tune of" We wont out you if you shut up and play along!!"...win/win :)

So going back to the tenet of who did better....well............ I think we're going to do oK, eventually and in the meantime Tom/dad are smiling counting their mutual extortions.

In simple terms we ought to end up with One good player and one pretty good player by all averages, could even get two Pearlers but the real win is the salary space and opportunity to get people who actually WANT to play for Melbourne............ and can.

Im happily looking forward to the two pickups come seasons end. Esp two out of the top 15 , plus Viney.

As Charlie would put it........we'll be WINNING !!!

• Like 1

There were a few of us who got a sniff that maybe the club got wind a lot earlier than many suspect. And then were complicit in a little game of subtefuge to lull Vlad and cohorts into coughing up a treat. And the Academy goes to.............. "Were so hard done by"...from the crew ant the MFC.... here to accept the award is Cam :)

I think ol Irish sussed the jig was up for Voldmort and so began a little jig....to the tune of" We wont out you if you shut up and play along!!"...win/win :)

So going back to the tenet of who did better....well............ I think we're going to do oK, eventually and in the meantime Tom/dad are smiling counting their mutual extortions.

In simple terms we ought to end up with One good player and one pretty good player by all averages, could even get two Pearlers but the real win is the salary space and opportunity to get people who actually WANT to play for Melbourne............ and can.

Im happily looking forward to the two pickups come seasons end. Esp two out of the top 15 , plus Viney.

As Charlie would put it........we'll be WINNING !!!

Yep....as long as the club picks right...for what we need Today...not 3 years in advance.

Id rather put a line through this season, cut the dead wood eg dunn bate and blood kids like taggert cook etc. Then next year our list will look a lot healthier and with another pre season of absolute quality under our belt we should improve ten fold. Probably asking a bit much but we got our recruiting wrong and we have to pay the price.

Taggert is on the LTI list, Cook doesn't look ready for AFL level (will he ever), we're playing plenty of kids.....I want the club to have some respect. I want to see wins

Scully has a high release kicking action like Cam Bruce and will never be able to kick. Kev's attempt at payback looks like a wobbly punt out on the full.

Spot on ! $cully has elite eye - hand coordination ( think Brock Mclean ) AND THAT'S IT !

However, reality:

I'LL STICK BY IT - 11 games remaining, 9 of them against the bottom 8, we win 7

• Like 1