Listening to 5AA it was described as thus:

- Sylvia standing under the ball waiting for it to get to him

- Butcher coming in late

- Butcher may or may not have had eyes for the footy

- Sylvia crunched. Late.

- Demons players remonstrate

- Boak comes running in like a superhero

Thanks.

Still don't know how it happened, six hours after I first asked. Surely someone saw the incident.

Click on the Herlad Sun link above they have footage of the incident. Basically Sylvia was going for the mark, Butcher was coming from the opposite direction (so couldn't see the ball) and went for the spoil - he knocked Sylvia's arms for the spoil and Sylvia fell backwards landing on his back/side. Looked pretty innocuous to be honest and can't believe he was unlucky enough to cop a bad injury from that.

Just a technical question. When Sylvia is due to return will he be forced to sit out a week for his suspension game he was meant to miss round 1. Would Mark Neeld be that harsh. I know missing 6 weeks is harsh enough but if he comes straight back in then he wouldnt have copped the punishment.

By the way I dont want that to happen. We will miss Sylvia on our foward line and seriously seeing the footage on the news I cant believe he sustained such a serious injury from that.

I hope we are overstating the injury so The Butcher gets a longer sentence .

Just showed it on 7 news. Didn't look that bad from the angle they showed. Colin was unlucky to spin in the air and land badly.

What I reckon, too! Butcher would be very unlucky to get rubbed out for that. Bad luck for Sylvia but that's the way it goes.

Guest oldman emubitter

Certainly not what we needed.

Really disappointed for Colin and Im sure he will be shattered with missing the first few games. On the positive it could have been worse.

i just don't see that myself, and that's the problem

Butcher in the clear for mine.

Not so sure. He doesn't look at the ball at all in the footage. Even when he's 'making contact' he's not even facing it.

On another note. Can anyone remember whether Jonesy was straight into 2011 pre-season training after his fracture Round 22 2010?

Maybe it could give us some idea how long CS may be out.

Butcher should be in trouble , he took out a player while not watching the ball whilst running from in front of the player , sylvia lost balance and as a result injured his back. Its like tunneling when you take a players legs out when he is going for a mark thus unbalancing him and potentially leading to injury as he cant land properly. It was a negligent act by butcher imo. Whether its against the rules I leave it to the AFL to make the decision.

I would be spewing if one of our players got rubbed out for that... Yes he is guilty of not looking at the ball - but the footage clearly shows Butchers arms really only made contact with Sylvia's outstretched arms and that is all. If he took him out with a body check then fine, rub him out...but arm on arm? Please.

Unlucky fall for Colin but no weeks for Butcher I'm tipping.

Col's inconsistency means we can probably live without him for a few weeks and it shouldn't affect us too much.

On another note. Can anyone remember whether Jonesy was straight into 2011 pre-season training after his fracture Round 22 2010? Maybe it could give us some idea how long CS may be out.

Jones was running laps during training in China for the Shanghai Showdown in October, following his injury... he is one very tough cookie!

Ignorant rubbish........a minor spinal fracture means either the transverse processes either side of the vertebrae to which ligaments and muscles are attached, or the spinous process, which are the bony bits you feel along your back. Likewise muscles and ligaments attach. Neither are involved with the intervertebral joint movement. As long as pain reduces as expected, he will be 6 weeks maximum. This depends on the fractures showing 'union' i.e knitting, which is usually a given with these sort of fractures. Nathan Jones had the same thing at the end of the year 2010 I think, and had an uninterrupted recovery. Sylvia will be able to perform a lot of non-weightbearing exercise even in the short term......bike etc.

Far out. Honestly. I'm not sure I can take another season of this. That's a serious back injury. He wont be back to full fitness till late in the season.

Ignorant rubbish........a minor spinal fracture means either the transverse processes either side of the vertebrae to which ligaments and muscles are attached, or the spinous process, which are the bony bits you feel along your back. Likewise muscles and ligaments attach. Neither are involved with the intervertebral joint movement. As long as pain reduces as expected, he will be 6 weeks maximum. This depends on the fractures showing 'union' i.e knitting, which is usually a given with these sort of fractures. Nathan Jones had the same thing at the end of the year 2010 I think, and had an uninterrupted recovery. Sylvia will be able to perform a lot of non-weightbearing exercise even in the short term......bike etc.

Thats absolutely correct. Colin will be feeling alot of pain yesterday, today and tomorrow primarily through the muscles attached to the area but players have played with this injury after a week. In this circumstance I see him missing about 3 weeks. Fair assessment in your opinion Webber or you expecting the full 6?

Just showed it on 7 news. Didn't look that bad from the angle they showed. Colin was unlucky to spin in the air and land badly.

Do you mean like Dangerfield fell awkwardly due to lack of awareness?

Would be nice to have him back against in Round 3 or 4. He is suspended Round 1 and may as well be rested against WCE, as we won't get close to them anyway. He seems to always have a cracker against Tigers, so hopefully he is back then.

Sylvia out for 6 weeks, maybe longer

http://www.heraldsun...f-1226302499960

Brilliant.

Actually looking at it it doesn't seen so bad.

I think Butcher did what would be expected of him to spoil the mark & to put the player off his feet. Very clumsy attempt & the problem is the body hit was (cheap) too high which overturned Col in midair. This is the problem and IMO, should where the penalty should come from.

If he had have hit him body to body, torso to torso I say play on good footy. But with the forearm making a brushing action to Colins 'above shoulder area', this is what has caused a sort of tunneling effect. This isnt good, & should be penalised.

But I don't see any real viciousness.

Get well Col.

Hi 'Webber', do the fractured bony hooks displace? Do they sometimes need aligning? What stops the muscle ligament attachment from pulling them apart from alignment?

cheers, DL.

It will be very interesting to see how the MRP go with this one. Personally I don't think he should go for it, but there is not doubt that his eyes weren't on the footy, but reading about it I thought he'd been crunched by Butcher but for me he was trying to spoil the ball and Col just landed very awkwardly.

Massive shame for Col, last season he got taken out just at the end of pre-season with a broken jaw and now this. Currently the gods aren't smiling down on us.

All the best with recovery Col.