Hawks v GWS Should Have Been Cancelled

I watched the Hawthorn v GWS game this afternoon and it demonstrated to me that the Giants really need another year before they're going to be ready to play in this competition. I feel that the Suns were far better prepared because some of their young, immature kids had a season in the VFL whereas the Giants spent last year in the inferior standard NEAFL. On top of that, the lack of strong bodied talls really told on the team and I suspect that we are going to see some big hidings from this mob.

Demon sightings -

• Kyle Cheney - i always did like him and I think he's kicking on a bit at the Hawks although it was always going to be a tough ask for him to get a regular gig in such a strong team.

• Cameron Bruce - solid effort but he's getting a bit long in the tooth.

• Tom Scully - flashed in an out and played fairly much outside skirting the packs and disposal just fair. Better than his first up effort but still well below par and not doing enough for what he's being paid.

• James McDonald - one of my favourites at MFC for over a decade but I'm sad to say that Dean Bailey's decision to delist him has now been vindicated.

I think it's going to be a long hard year for HWMNBN, I believe he was always going to be an outside player and at GWS he isn't going to see a lot of clearances coming his way.

With players like Magner, Jones and Couch on his side maybe he could have shown something special. We will never know.

I watched the Hawthorn v GWS game this afternoon and it demonstrated to me that the Giants really need another year before they're going to be ready to play in this competition. I feel that the Suns were far better prepared because some of their young, immature kids had a season in the VFL whereas the Giants spent last year in the inferior standard NEAFL. On top of that, the lack of strong bodied talls really told on the team and I suspect that we are going to see some big hidings from this mob.

Demon sightings -

Kyle Cheney - i always did like him and I think he's kicking on a bit at the Hawks although it was always going to be a tough ask for him to get a regular gig in such a strong team.

Cameron Bruce - solid effort but he's getting a bit long in the tooth.

Tom Scully - flashed in an out and played fairly much outside skirting the packs and disposal just fair. Better than his first up effort but still well below par and not doing enough for what he's being paid.

James McDonald - one of my favourites at MFC for over a decade but I'm sad to say that Dean Bailey's decision to delist him has now been vindicated.

Is that enough for a guy who is being paid $1miilion PA?

IMO by mid year he would need to be in GWS best 5 every week.

It is only his third year but when you except the big bucks you have to produce now!

• Like 1

My heart bleeds for all of them .

As we used to say in the schoolyard-suck the puss !

Sheedy wont see out the year .

The ex demons at the Hawks will be fringe players dropped for finals .

I do hope Scully loses his cash in some ill-fated scheme .

J Mac gave us good service and I bear him no ill will but remember all the years we carried him and watched him butcher EVERY kick he got .

We are a club on the rise .Screw the rest.

To cancel a game because GWS just aren't ready, is really GW$ own fault. They chose to go down the youth path, by bringing in a tonne of kids in the draft and refused to pick up any decent (or even half decent) mature players.

They dug their grave, now they can lie in it. Serves them right and hopefully the club is such a shambles on the field, just like it is off it, that come 2 years time, there's a mass exodus of good young kids.

I don't really like GC either, but they are showing up GWS big time in terms of professionalism.

Edited by Demon Disciple
  • Like 1

.....inferior standard NEAFL

Hey, hey, hey.... I'm not sure about inferior standard! The standard is actually quite good. The Suns actually play in the NEAFL with the Swans Reserves and Lions reserves.

Anything at all that make those GWS morons look stupid is all good by me. I think that GC didn't put too many noses out of joint too much because they went about thinks in a much more professional and respectful manner. With Sheedy on board, all GWS have done is step on toes and be disrespectful to all before them. At the start of last season, I found myself quite interested in GC, and was cheering them on in their maiden win. I won't be doing the same with GWS, and I truly do hope that they don't even get within cooee of a win.

• Like 1

I feel that the Suns were far better prepared because some of their young, immature kids had a season in the VFL whereas the Giants spent last year in the inferior standard NEAFL.

It can't be underestimated the experience that players like Smith, Swallow and Hunt got from a season in the VFL. I've been on about this since last year and think it was a big mistake by the AFL not to prepare the GWS guys in the next best comp in the country, but then a lot of what has been happening up there is second rate.

I will enjoy all there lo$$e$.

Israeal Falou can take a grab. He is still learning but great leap & great hands, not quite worth $6 million but we all know they have a different value on a $ up there at the Hill of Root.

I think it's going to be a long hard year for HWMNBN, I believe he was always going to be an outside player and at GWS he isn't going to see a lot of clearances coming his way.

With players like Magner, Jones and Couch on his side maybe he could have shown something special. We will never know.

Presume you must mean $cully

Is that enough for a guy who is being paid $1miilion PA?

IMO by mid year he would need to be in GWS best 5 every week.

It is only his third year but when you except the big bucks you have to produce now!

He willl be hammered, targetted and tagged out of every game he plays. He probabaly forgot about this fact becasue he thinks like an individual but the players who GWS got to do not apear to be the sort who will be able to offer much in the way of protection or a foil.

Other than that watching parts of GWS's game yesetraday I thought they looked way out of their depth and I agree with WJ, they should not be playing at the AFL level this year. If someone adopts an all out attacking style against them this year and they have an off day, records will tumble.

James McDonald - one of my favourites at MFC for over a decade but I'm sad to say that Dean Bailey's decision to delist him has now been vindicated.

I disagree with this. Jnr has been out for a year. You can't judge him by what he produced yesterday. Last year would most likely have been his final year. What is undeniable is that our leadership last year stank - witness the performance on-field AND the cleanout by Neeld. Junior might well have provided some seriously needed leadership last year at a club that was imploding on and off the field.

Did they ever! The kid's a gun. As opposed to-you-know-who, he doesn't dance around packs, rather he gets his own ball.

Stop it!! I get depressed at the mere thought. Hopefully the young Viney will be the equal of Dustin Martin, because Martin should have been taken by the MFC.

I watched Scully yesterday and I think my healing has begun.

Has the potential to be elite, but not if he continue to play like a scared little mouse.

He is just skirting the packs, trying to avoid body contact. Good luck with that.

He'd get his arse kicked by Neeld if he played like that for us right now. Pathetic.

Both. But the MFC was first.

We may still might come out of this OK if we use our two compensatory picks wisely, whereas GWS are now stuck with the 6 million dollar man.