Training - Friday 27th January, 2012

Angelus BTVS

This old chestnut...

Father-son selections are determined PRIOR to trade week people!

Write a note in your diary, tie a piece of string to your finger... Do something that helps you remember this critical fact.

I'm also not convinced that you'd be forced to use an "in-play" compo pick for a father-son selection, instead of only normal draft picks being vulnerable... But I'm yet to see any conclusive evidence either way.

Incorrect. If we tell the AFL 'no, we don't want to use the scully picks this year', we will have a first round selection and a 2nd round selection and so on. If we finish bottom of the ladder, for example, and have the number 1 pick, do you think that we would have to use that first round pick on Jack Viney if Collingwood offer up their 1st round pick (let's say 18) for Viney? Of course not. It's the next available pick..ie. our 2nd rounder!

I feel absolutely confident that GWS will claim to be willing to use their first pick on JV simply because it will force us to use our first pick on him. He's well worth that pick, so no real problem, but there is not really a lot of trickery we could use to bring about another outcome.

I'm feeling absolutely confident that GWS will claim to want to use their first pick on JV simply because he's going to be that good!

He would have been gone before we had the chance to select him if he wasn't father son, so that's our silver lining- and we will have to use our first pick on him because every club already knows we want him so they will raise the price for us.

Watts looks great! To those people who worry about his "laconic" demeanor just look at the difference between his and Cale's bodies. Says a lot about application right there!

Who has proof that Cale is not pushing himself? I have been to three training sessions and have seen no reason whatsoever that justifies him being targetted over anyone else. Not being built like Frawley is no reason as he obviously does not have a frame that is going to bulk. I do not expect Cale to be a superstar but again the constant criticism of him over the pre-season is a joke.

• Like 2

Incorrect. If we tell the AFL 'no, we don't want to use the scully picks this year', we will have a first round selection and a 2nd round selection and so on. If we finish bottom of the ladder, for example, and have the number 1 pick, do you think that we would have to use that first round pick on Jack Viney if Collingwood offer up their 1st round pick (let's say 18) for Viney? Of course not. It's the next available pick..ie. our 2nd rounder!

Do you believe that we will finish below GWS this year? They will have the first pick and they will nominate to use it on JV. We would then have to use our first pick, whether it be 2 or 20, to take him or pass and let them have him as the no. 1.

Personally I thnk we should be activating both compensation picks this year given the rumoured depth of talent available. This should give us JV, a top 20 pick and probably an early 20's pick. All should net us someone pretty good.

So how does that father/son rule work again ? I tied a piece of string to my finger but I can't remember what it's there for !

• Like 1

So how does that father/son rule work again ? I tied a piece of string to my finger but I can't remember what it's there for !

First you set up a trade of your 2 first round picks for a gun midfielder, after that you're free to use your 2nd round pick on Viney.

cale morton was the next pavlich on this board. Gotta look past their draft pick number people

Yeah? When? Will anyone own up to that suggestion?

Even his greatest fans would have to say that he has "under performed".

I feel absolutely confident that GWS will claim to be willing to use their first pick on JV simply because it will force us to use our first pick on him. He's well worth that pick, so no real problem, but there is not really a lot of trickery we could use to bring about another outcome.

Disagree JV is worth around a pick 3-4, apparently

Would we have risked pick one on Morobito?

A kid called Lachie Whitfield is meant to be all this and more, as one kid is every year but still, would you risk pick 1 for the sake of it?

I do think someone will force our hand but most likely not GWS...... depending on where we finish

Even if we want to use the compo picks, we wont have to use them on Viney as they are exempt from Father son picks.

So if we have for example pick 9(comp), pick 12(normal), pick 13(comp). A rival club nominate to pick Viney up with pick 8. We would not have to use pick 9. We could use pick 12.

That's my understanding.

And I highly doubt that we would finish low enough for someone not to force our hand with Viney.

We will use our first round pick on him. Anyone who thinks we will get Viney with a 2nd round pick is delusional.

• Like 2

Watts looks great! To those people who worry about his "laconic" demeanor just look at the difference between his and Cale's bodies.

There are many words I could use to describe young Jack, but 'laconic" isn't one of them.

Is this the most confused word in the English language ?

• Like 1

Training today at Gosch's Paddock.

I got there at about 10.am and saw 1½ hours of training. About 15 -20 other spectators were scattered round ground over duration of training.

Things noticed were, Jack Watts' polish with ball in hand and seems to be able to hold position against the bigger bodies a lot better i.e. in competitive drills against likes of Sellar.

Jack Grimes looking good to go for start of season; he looks like has built upper body strength fair bit.

Jack Viney was doing repeat 300m runs with LJ and, as they continued, Viney left LJ in his wake. Viney looks built to go now one of the most well-built 17yr olds you would see. If he plays u18 this year it would do nothing for him, he would dominate.

Tom McDonald up forward in drills looked impressive but of concern to me is his delay in getting boot to ball in timely manner although once he does, he generally hits his target. However in competitive AFL matches he will have less time to spot up his targets.

The lads had a short burst of goalkicking practice with Green and Watts consistently accurate.

At about 10.30 the boys had some structured match practice led by Neeld which lasted for about 45 minutes with breaks every 10 minutes or so. It was heavily focused on playing the boundary line and stoppage work. Standouts here for me were Trengove (great footy brain) provides teammates with time and puts ball to their advantage. Jamar just goes about his business clearly the only true ruckman we have to operate with right now and so cannot afford him to go down at all. Nicholson gets so much of the ball by positioning himself in the right spots I just hope that his awareness improves once he has the ball as him getting it doesn’t necessarily translate to a clean clearance for his teammates.

If only Morton had Nicholson’s attitude and desire but unfortunately I still see Cale as unfulfilled potential due to lack of desire to push himself.

Leigh Williams was impressive in the contest clearly has a competitive streak in him and so does Mitch Clark who will be an outstanding presence on the field, Clark definitely has a bit of mongrel in him.

The boys then split off again into a repeat lead drill where the 6 forwards would supply blocks for one another and repeat leads while the coaches would honour 1 of the leads this would have been very taxing on the players as it was performed at high intensity and for most part the defenders were very good in particular Jamie Bennell impressed with his ability to beat his forward opponents.

While the forwards and back were involved in the repeat lead drill a midfield group was going the some centre setup work. I was surprised at how small this group was it featured Jamar and Fitzy rucking to JT, Bate, Nicho, Gysberts, Beamer and I believe Magner. Looks to be a case of you only enter the centre of the ground if you have the body to play as an inside mid.

James Strauss appeared to be moving reasonably freely which was a really positive sign.

Over the other side of the ground McKenzie, Spencer, Bartram and believe Tappy were doing running drills together.

All in all it was an impressive session I really believe there should be massive improvement this season the coaching to me seems far more structured with the players not having much down time and learning the structures right under the nose of the coaches. Previously under Bailey I noticed him doing a lot of teaching out on the ground while players just stood in a position listening while not really being involved in a hands on degree, which is what I’m noticing is different under Neeld’s teaching all the coaches seem to have the players attention a lot more due to them being more interactive with their guidance to the players.

Note I didn’t see likes of Davey, Sylvia or Jones.

Great report. Someone on Demonology mentioned something about Mitch Clark leaving the track early and seemed to be feeling at his hamstrings and had some treatment from the physios. Has anyone got any more info. sounds precautionary to be honest but would hate to see the great white hope have a setback.

Watts looks great! To those people who worry about his "laconic" demeanor just look at the difference between his and Cale's bodies. Says a lot about application right there!

It doesn't prove anything about Cale's application. I'm not a fan of Cale Morton but its not his fault that he can't put on muscle bulk. Some people are blessed with more fast twitch fibers than slow fibres which enables them to grow muscle bulk. Unfortunately for Cale he will never put substantial muscle bulk on, just muscle definition. It's like comparing a marathon runner to a 100m sprinter he just doesn't have the genes.

Who has proof that Cale is not pushing himself? I have been to three training sessions and have seen no reason whatsoever that justifies him being targetted over anyone else. Not being built like Frawley is no reason as he obviously does not have a frame that is going to bulk. I do not expect Cale to be a superstar but again the constant criticism of him over the pre-season is a joke.

He is pushing himself, just like a Brent Grgic.

Can someone remind me whether Brent Grgic was involved in the Moloney trade.

If so, why is not more made of this triumph?

Nothing's made of it because Grgic was gone well before the Moloney trade was done. Roughly, we traded Moloney for a first round draft pick which we got from Adelaide for Scott Thompson. We can argue the merits of that all day but in the circumstances, we got a reasonable deal but no triumph. I think most clubs understand that this is what trading is about although some supporters want to see their clubs achieving a coup over their opposition every time they trade.

Don't get me wrong i'm no Cale fanboy but for whats it's worth I really think that he cops too much bad press on these forums. On Friday he was in the 1st group of runners and finished toward the top of the group in the first session and 2nd or third in the final session behind Tommy MacDonald. I hadn't been to a session this year and was expecting to see him dragging his arse around the field in a "LACONIC" fashion. However I was quite impressed with his application and willingness to push and hurt himself. I still have hope that Neeld will find the switch and turn the boy into a useful footballer. By the by MacDonald is a running machine and given his size offers enormous upside.

• Like 1