Phil Scully offered GWS gig in November 2010!

bing181

Exactly. See link for the AFL's description of the compensation rules: http://www.afl.com.a...px?newsid=96815

Thanks for pinting this out.I was overseas when this drama surfaced.

There's 2 things I'm looking forward to over the next copuple of years.

1. The look on Sheedy's, Allan's and father Shitbag when young Tom's knee buckles in a Trengove tackle.

2. The look on there faces when we take one of their young stars for ourselves.

I know the family of a young kid touted as a high first round pick in this years draft. He's already talking about which club he'd like to play for when his time at GWS is up

Well said- you put a great smile on my face when I read your post

Of course, but all I'm saying is we got the same compensation as a club who payed a leaving star that much money, but we didn't have to pay the money at all. I'm not arguing that I wouldn't have payed Ablett what he got at Geelong, knowing what he produced. Rather, I'm arguing that we got the same compensation as a champion's former club did, without having to suffer any blow to the hip-pocket. Obviously I would have rathered Scully had stayed if I could be sure he'd achieve the same as Ablett has, but since that's unlikely to happen with even the greatest players, I don't think we really came out any worse than Geelong.

But if you think of it this way: Geelong paid all that money and they received premierships, b&f's, brownlows, etc from Ablett. They paid for what they received. We didn't pay Scully anywhere close to that because he never signed any contract other than the customary 2 year entry-level deal. Say Scully had signed an extension and played 8 years for us before being poached by GWS and delivered what Ablett did; sure, we would have ended up paying him roughly similar wages to Ablett, but we would have also received all the accolades that Ablett delivered. You're not losing out on money if you're getting premierships in return.

That being said, if Scully had played for us for 8 more years, theres no way to say that he wouldn't have been a complete dud and we would have received next to nothing had GWS taken him. All in all I'm happy with the 2 compensation picks we received because there's no way to tell whether or not Scully will amount to anything, and we got rid of a selfish, money-hungry player.

• Like 1

Like many people, I have re-watched the March presser a couple of times. At the time I was one who listened to his words and wanted to believe him. In light of recent events it is very interesting to watch his body language, especially in relation to questions regarding his dad.

The big question for me now is, what were the important "values" he was referring to. The "values" that would help him make the best decision. At the time, many of us assumed that the "values" were those that would help him decide against going for the money and stay with the club that were trying to do the right thing by him. It would seem the "values" were something else entirely.

I know the family of a young kid touted as a high first round pick in this years draft. He's already talking about which club he'd like to play for when his time at GWS is up

All this bad press is bound to have a negative affect on youg dratees expectations, which will affect the morale once they get up there. GWS is going to have one hell of a job creating a positive culture. I think they have stuffed up huge time.

Am I happy we had a number 1 draft pick, only to lose him after 2 years (or prior to us signing him)? No.

Do I think we should've received a number 1 draft pick in return? Yes, especially considering we didn't get any value out of the one we had (due to a lack of time).

Am I going to accept the compensation that we have been given? Yes, because that's the rules. It doesn't matter a stuff what Geelong got, we have been given what the rules state.

Should everyone think the same way as me on this issue? Yes. We can feel like we've been shafted and rightly so, but reality is, we haven't, and nothing will change that.

• Like 1

Appropriate considering his recent He Who Must Not Be Mentioned monicker (thought I detected a hint of Parseltongue during his March presser)

- fangs for the memories.

• Like 1

Lifes a [censored]....and then you eat one....for breakfast, apparently !!

Seems regarding Scully, many are having an a-python-y !!!

• Like 1

It's interesting to note that the original compensation rules were changed prior to Gablett's defection.

Under the original rules set down for clubs that lose an uncontracted player to Gold Coast, the Cats were set to receive only one first-round pick as compensation for Ablett’s defection.

However, a mid-year change increased the compensation to two selections.

I don't really expect the AFL to retrospectively change the rules or our compensation.

I just wonder if Schwab & co had made an approach to the AFL in respect to the likelyhood of HWSNBN leaving?

It's interesting to note that the original compensation rules were changed prior to Gablett's defection.

I don't really expect the AFL to retrospectively change the rules or our compensation.

I just wonder if Schwab & co had made an approach to the AFL in respect to the likelyhood of HWSNBN leaving?

In 1999 we lost our 1st round draft pick to Fremantle ( pick 5 Leigh Brown ) . This was because of Melbourne's salary cap breaches in securing Jeff White from Fremantle in 1997 - We had already given picks 2 and 18 to Fremantle in the 1997 national draft to secure White . There may have been another small part to that deal but I couldn't find the exact details .

If it can be proven that GW$ acted outside the rules in securing T$ then maybe there will be some extra compensation coming our way . But ........... GW$ are funded by the AFL so .....................

Edited by Nuggets

In 1999 we lost our 1st round draft pick to Fremantle ( pick 5 Leigh Brown ) . This was because of Melbourne's salary cap breaches in securing Jeff White from Fremantle in 1997 - We had already given picks 2 and 18 to Fremantle in the 1997 national draft to secure White . There may have been another small part to that deal but I couldn't find the exact details .

If it can be proven that GW$ acted outside the rules in securing T$ then maybe there will be some extra compensation coming our way . But ........... GW$ are funded by the AFL so .....................

Really like this theme. Hope some of the bright ones on here tease it out. Already the old mans pay packet has suddenly appeared out of nowhere it would seem.( How can it not affect compensation? Its an addditional salary cost not previously considered) What else is going to come out of nowhere? When did the young bloke actually sign? Was the AFL administration involved? ( I sinncerely hope not) I hope the digging continues. The truth must win out here.

Really like this theme. Hope some of the bright ones on here tease it out. Already the old mans pay packet has suddenly appeared out of nowhere it would seem.( How can it not affect compensation? Its an addditional salary cost not previously considered) What else is going to come out of nowhere? When did the young bloke actually sign? Was the AFL administration involved? ( I sinncerely hope not) I hope the digging continues. The truth must win out here.

Bogan Phil is getting $100k. That's rookie wage. No way will it change the compensation.

Move on guys.