2011 Player Review - # 31 Tom Scully

Demonland

To me, he'll always be regarded as Ned Scully. Not because he took the money and did a runner but because of the contempt in the way he and his camp treated this football club, its players and supporters.

Thankfully, we have enough good people at that club to overcome and Ned's previous presence at the MFC will be well and truly erased when the first siren sounds at the start of next season.

I was on to his case from the very beginning. I have no problem with a player being seduced by such a handsome offer but the way he was treating us made my blood boil. As I was saying back in April he should have done the honourable thing and stood down or resigned once the cat was out of the bag. He still kept taking our money despite having 2 million available upfront from GWS and then malingered for the whole season. And how embarrassing it must have been for his team mates to be trotted out to the media every week to tell the world about his virtues. Bitter medicine for us but worth it because he is now gone. I hope we can gain strength from this humiliation.

I imagine he will enjoy the cloistered life at the GWS monastery. Looks the part with his shaved head and his obsessive ways. And has demonstrated he can maintain a vow of silence. He can now train 18 hours a day but to ensure he does not get too comfortable I bet he sleeps on a bed of football boot studs.

• Like 2

I was on to his case from the very beginning. I have no problem with a player being seduced by such a handsome offer but the way he was treating us made my blood boil. As I was saying back in April he should have done the honourable thing and stood down or resigned once the cat was out of the bag. He still kept taking our money despite having 2 million available upfront from GWS and then malingered for the whole season. And how embarrassing it must have been for his team mates to be trotted out to the media every week to tell the world about his virtues. Bitter medicine for us but worth it because he is now gone. I hope we can gain strength from this humiliation.

I imagine he will enjoy the cloistered life at the GWS monastery. Looks the part with his shaved head and his obsessive ways. And has demonstrated he can maintain a vow of silence. He can now train 18 hours a day but to ensure he does not get too comfortable I bet he sleeps on a bed of football boot studs.

The way you put it, I'd do the same as him, boot studs or not.

I totally agree - it's not the $ that $cheming $heedy $educed $cully with that bugs me -- it is the panoply of b$ emanating from hi$ and hi$ managers mouths that upset us most.

Let's face it, he didn't have a great year on field and certainly must have destabilized an already unstable playing group.

............ having your supposed mates go out to sing your virtues in public without having the sack to front up yourself ... is the biggest indictment on him.

......... and then not having the decency to eyeball those who had been steadfast in their support for him, and tell them he wouldn't be returning from Sydney.

Edited by Deeoldfart

......... and then not having the decency to eyeball those who had been steadfast in their support for him, and tell them he wouldn't be returning from Sydney.

sociopath [( soh -see-uh-path, soh -shee-uh-path)]

Someone whose social behavior is extremely abnormal.Sociopaths are interested only in their personal needs and desires, without concern for the effects of their behavior on others.

His name will always be Sully to me.

We did nothing but try our best to accommodate and nurture him, and in the end shown his true colours as a lier and betrayer of trust. He effectively used us for free medical treatment on his ailing knee.

Shown signs of apathy and indifference and looked unwilling to try to fit in with the team, Sully is a cold-hearted customer with an eye for cash at the expense of ultimate football glory. His name will always be smirched.

I hope he can find comfort in his cash, as we are going places and he traded his ticket for a bag of money. I don't know how he can sleep at night knowing he [censored] all over the club, his team mates and Stynes.

Thanks for the compo picks dog. Enjoy the dodgy knee.. I've heard it will either stay dodgy, or get worse. So have fun with that.

• Like 1

He never really committed to the club his motivations were born out of self interest and in a team sport your destined to fail.

He may go on and be successful with GWS but he will now never be respected. Of course the do-gooders will excuse the money grabbing behaviour as

the absence of any real choice, the confrontation of insurmountable odds, a deal too good to refuse. But let's be sure of one thing there was a choice to be

to be made and he chose the path to fast fulfilment and the ultimate, unjustified pay day instead of letting his actions reflect his worth monetarily and

character wise. His behaviour was callous, disloyal, unjustifiable, disrespectful, greedy and reflected no appreciation for his privileged position.

He had the opportunity to do something wonderful, he had the opportunity to be loyal instead he chose the path to corruption and self satisfaction.

Important valuable lessons were learnt about resolve and resoluteness I hope I never see the public pandering to petulant wonder kid which was performed

throughout the course of 2010. I stand by the fact if you want to be successful you are moving in the same direction as group and you cut the drift wood

loose. Post 186 an ultimatum should of been made and this situation should of been rectified there and then. Commit or leave, show us you want

to be here or go. The club is not a waiting room for you to comfortably bide your time while you suck your thumbs and wait till the time is right for you.

The club/players confronted by intense pressure should have resolved to show some pride and demand that loyalty and dedication aren't transient themes

you either reflect them in your actions or you don't and in absence of recognisable proof it doesn't exist.

'Whatever it takes' is the club motto and in this case it was made a mockery of. Not from an administrative or dealing point of view but from a team sense.

We will get there 'Whatever it takes'. We will allow a person to grandstand but we'll get there 'Whatever it takes'. We will put up with disruption, disharmony

selfishness, the uncommitted, self indulgence, procrastination but we will get there 'Whatever it takes'.

To reflect 2010 and this saga it should of been 'Whatever anyone wants'.

Before criticising for hindsight I called for a stand to be made well before this embarrassment became reality, when we could of been seen to have executed

strength through decisiveness. Alas we allowed this petulance to call all the shots without ever making any real noise ourselves. Que-sera the indelible

by-line

Edited by Diablo Deemon

Diablo I find your posts a little disjointed. Why do you start new paragraphs for every line of text, even mid sentence gets a new line.

It's constructive criticism, don't take offense. I read what you have to say but can't get any continuity with your posts..

Scullys form and recurring knee injuries softened the blow of his deception/defection

Im ashamed to have #31 on my jumper

I suggest all those that have 31 on their back to get Barassi to sign it and then just frame it. The sooner the $ully experience erased from our history the better!

I suggest all those that have 31 on their back to get Barassi to sign it and then just frame it. The sooner the $ully experience erased from our history the better!

Yeah i was a big fan of Paul Wheatley

I suggest all those that have 31 on their back to get Barassi to sign it and then just frame it. .............................

Or reverse the numbers maybe. If we are talking loyalty, you would never find a greater contrast than Jordie vs. the other one!

Doing an honest 2011 assessment.....

Tom Scully was an absolute pea heart in 2011. Faced the media once and then sent out his teammates to do his bidding for the remainder of the year. No doubt created an undercurrent of distrust and in-cohesiveness that spread through the team and ultimately contributed to derail the year.

On-field failed to present himself in a satisfactory condition (a situation which I am sure will be remarkably reversed in 2012 as it was the year before). When on field contributed at about 70% with kicking that continued to lack penetration and he also failed to kick goals, something all modern day midfielders must do.

Very happy the club made one reasonable offer to him. The fact that his management then got GWS to up theirs at the 12th hour by seemingly claiming otherwise probably indicates what sort of germs we were dealing with. Now gone and will be easy to forget playing for an anonymous team in a backwater.

My lasting memory of $cully will be the last time we played Carlscum. I watched him closely all day. He didn't want to go near the ball unless he absolutely had to, he moved all over the ground, but so often at a distance. I knew he was not a part of our team that day, even though i hated to admit it.

The fact his team mates did press conferences on his behalf, and he told the club from syydney of his defection should never be forgotten.

A strange cat $cully. Not to be trusted. I do not wish him luck.