Aaron Davey Crumbing Forward

fired up

I.m.o Aron Davey should go back to being a crumbing forward, where he made a name for himself applying forward pressure keeping ball inside 50, and running down defenders. Also kicking goals, he is to slight a frame and lack of strenghth to be in center bounces as against Hawthorn on Sunday. Why they are so hell bent on him playing every where except where he is good at has me buggered.With his little stab passes which 80% of the time put his teamates under extreme pressure to mark will end up getting someones head caved in. Where as in the forward line running in to goal with his kicking should be worth 2 to 4 goals per game. I'm not against him just play him where he can do some damage. How often with Watts, Jurrah,Green and Pettard is the ball going to come to ground and Davey there to swoop on it.

What a waste of talent.

He's a midfielder.

He's only good as a midfielder if he doesn't get tagged, plus he is more of a winger, as he doesn't go in and get the ball, he's a receiver. He has no idea how to shake a tag and then loses his head. Every team knows this.

He is a good indicator of how the team is going. If he has a good game, Melbourne generally have a good game. If he's quiet, Melbourne usually put in a shocker, so he is vital in terms of predicting how we go in a game. Clearly, his best football is when he is delivering the ball, such as that beautiful pass he hit against the Hawks, was a gem. His precise kicking, when on, allows us to play through a zone. If not, Tapscott should be used to kick over it.

Our forwards seem lazy atm, not chasing enough, however, this could be due to frustration from lack of entries. This is where Wona is so valuable, Jetta is good at this too. Davey took the position of small forwards to another level in 2004, since then he has evolved his game, so he's not a one trick pony. The problem is, we aren't able to have a Davey in the middle, attack and defence, there's only one of him. Put him where he is needed most. ATM, that is the backline/HBF as the ball seems to be in our defence a heap. We need quality kicks to get it out, not one's who continually butcher the ball *Cough, Grimes, Cough*.

I.m.o Aron Davey should go back to being a crumbing forward, where he made a name for himself applying forward pressure keeping ball inside 50, and running down defenders. Also kicking goals, he is to slight a frame and lack of strenghth to be in center bounces as against Hawthorn on Sunday. Why they are so hell bent on him playing every where except where he is good at has me buggered.With his little stab passes which 80% of the time put his teamates under extreme pressure to mark will end up getting someones head caved in. Where as in the forward line running in to goal with his kicking should be worth 2 to 4 goals per game. I'm not against him just play him where he can do some damage. How often with Watts, Jurrah,Green and Pettard is the ball going to come to ground and Davey there to swoop on it.

When was the last time you saw Aaron chase someone down?

Davey carves up the opposition with his foot skills. It would be a waste to have him in the forward line. If Aaron was allowed to continue getting the ball at the rate he was getting it in the first half against Hawthorn, we may not have lost that match. He just needs a plan B when the opposition tags him.

Yeah, as soon as he goes forward and we're under the pump the media will jump on us to "throw Davey back!" And rightly so. In our best wins last year, when we looked like we were getting somewhere, it was Davey's delivery that made it happen.

That said, if we can EVER get our midfield right (seems like we've gone backwards so far this year) I'd like to see him spend his post 30 years there. Take over from Green. Maybe just once or twice see him run someone down like the old days.

Yeah, as soon as he goes forward and we're under the pump the media will jump on us to "throw Davey back!" And rightly so. In our best wins last year, when we looked like we were getting somewhere, it was Davey's delivery that made it happen.

That said, if we can EVER get our midfield right (seems like we've gone backwards so far this year) I'd like to see him spend his post 30 years there. Take over from Green. Maybe just once or twice see him run someone down like the old days.

No Junior, McKenzie , Scully will do that to you.

Agree with HT and Rogue on the midfield issue.

And is there any chance that Davey learns to shake a tag? If we are brainwashed to believe that Davey cant handle a tag then he really is going to be limited every week in AFL. He gets a tag week in week out. Some weeks he plays well some weeks he doesnt which may be due to a number of issues. If we have to move Davey away from the preferred position set by Bailey just to shake a tag, its a huge win for the opposition coach.

I believe the best position for Davey is a half forward flank. That is if we can find a consistant player to kick in when we score a point rather than Grimes. Davey has done this roll well- but he can't do everything. Grimes is a shocker in this role as I have pointed out for the last year. Davey then could be a very good player or even a great player able to play around the centre when needed to take the kick from the backman, then create a forward thrust or go for goal himself.

Agree with HT and Rogue on the midfield issue.

And is there any chance that Davey learns to shake a tag? If we are brainwashed to believe that Davey cant handle a tag then he really is going to be limited every week in AFL. He gets a tag week in week out. Some weeks he plays well some weeks he doesnt which may be due to a number of issues. If we have to move Davey away from the preferred position set by Bailey just to shake a tag, its a huge win for the opposition coach.

OK lets keep him quarterbuckling or whatever for the rest of the season just to prove a point.

I believe the best position for Davey is a half forward flank. That is if we can find a consistant player to kick in when we score a point rather than Grimes. Davey has done this roll well- but he can't do everything. Grimes is a shocker in this role as I have pointed out for the last year. Davey then could be a very good player or even a great player able to play around the centre when needed to take the kick from the backman, then create a forward thrust or go for goal himself.

Tapscott looks like the man for the job.

Biggest issue at the moment is getting the ball into our F50, Davey playing in a pocket won't help that.

Our conversion rate once it is inside 50 is not a problem either. He would however help keep the ball in there, but as others have said the trade offs are too great.

Biggest issue at the moment is getting the ball into our F50, Davey playing in a pocket won't help that.

Our conversion rate once it is inside 50 is not a problem either. He would however help keep the ball in there, but as others have said the trade offs are too great.

We do need someone who can lock the ball in forward and chase defenders.

Davey has been needed at halfback because of the ordinary skills of our defenders coming into transition (Rivers, Joel McDonald, Bartram, Grimes)over a number of years. When he is placed in the midfield, opposition teams know if they tag him hard we have lost his kicking skills and our stoppage work crumbles.

At the same time we have since 2008 been rebuilding our midfield. If, and it is a big if, but IF we can get Trengove, Sylvia, Moloney, Scully, Grimes, McKenzie and Gysberts to be the main midfield framework, and then IF we can get players who can kick into our halfback line (Strauss, Blease??) then Davey can return to the forward line and be given license to murder oppositions with his kicking skills, pace and defensive pressure.

On the MFC website they ar running the "choose your best 22" and I have had Davey at halfback. Get him out of the middle and let him play that quarterback role. But I am changing my mind rapidly about this. Half forward for mine. Imagine the defensive pressure he and Wonna will put on in our forward 50.

This all depends on Scully and McKenzie getting back into the mix, and our backline showing some kicking skill. Frawley is usually a reliable kick (Sunday night was a shocker) and Tappy is showing something special. 2 new backmen need to be found and developed in 2011.

All the above will then free Davey up.

Davey has been needed at halfback because of the ordinary skills of our defenders coming into transition (Rivers, Joel McDonald, Bartram, Grimes)over a number of years. When he is placed in the midfield, opposition teams know if they tag him hard we have lost his kicking skills and our stoppage work crumbles.

At the same time we have since 2008 been rebuilding our midfield. If, and it is a big if, but IF we can get Trengove, Sylvia, Moloney, Scully, Grimes, McKenzie and Gysberts to be the main midfield framework, and then IF we can get players who can kick into our halfback line (Strauss, Blease??) then Davey can return to the forward line and be given license to murder oppositions with his kicking skills, pace and defensive pressure.

On the MFC website they ar running the "choose your best 22" and I have had Davey at halfback. Get him out of the middle and let him play that quarterback role. But I am changing my mind rapidly about this. Half forward for mine. Imagine the defensive pressure he and Wonna will put on in our forward 50.

This all depends on Scully and McKenzie getting back into the mix, and our backline showing some kicking skill. Frawley is usually a reliable kick (Sunday night was a shocker) and Tappy is showing something special. 2 new backmen need to be found and developed in 2011.

All the above will then free Davey up.

Thoughts on Bennell playing that quarter-back role?

On exposed form, Tapscott does look a likely type to play that half back flank role, but I am reeeeeeeeeally wanting to see him play most of his career in the forward half. On unexposed form, maybe, just maybe Sam Blease can be the other player (along with Bennell) to play across half back. At worst, Tapscott and Bennell playing back, at best, Blease and Bennell back and Tappy up forward.

Strauss was drafted for this type of role, I just have my doubts, but like always, happy to be proved wrong! And knowing how some people think on here, no, I haven't seen Blease play, so it's hard to make that type of statement, I'm just being hopeful.

Edited by billy2803

We do need someone who can lock the ball in forward and chase defenders.

That's great when you get it in there.

I would love to see Davey spend more time closer to goal, but until we get all our early draft pick midfielders up and playing he is required in the midfield. This week we see Morton and Gysberts come in hopefully they can improve hold their spot. Scully and McKenzie get fit and we are starting to get some quality through the midfield. Then we can afford to have Davey spend more time up forward

Edited by drdrake