Jack Watts

Steamin Demon

As a big Watts fan I think his biggest problem is he seems scared to make a mistake. Sometimes If I was his coach I'd tell him to kick for goal when in range and play on immediately when he's not. Just go for it Jack.

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He said he wouldn't be a star, that's not writing him off, huge difference.

As for your third sentence you basically rehash what I put in my post.

Yup, we are probably in agreeance about the need to be patient, but I think saying a player who is 19 will NEVER be a star is writing him off, you just can't make that kind of assessment on the next 10-15 years of his career. I'm just fed up with the persistent need for people to over react so much and post outrageous statements about one particular player.

You all realise we are risking upsetting Tom Scully. Tom wants to be the Demonland most talked about player, I have it from a cousin of a cousin if Jack Watts keeps getting all our posts Tom will leave.

To add to Jack Watts, he still has areas of his game that needs work, what 20yo doesn't. What I liked about him yesterday, on a number of times he was out numbered and at least he brought the footy to ground, if he can do this it will give our crumbing forwards confidence to get to the contest. Two marks yesterday he showed how tall he can play, full stretch overhead marks that stuck, a defender will have to chop his arms to get anywhere near the footy. The mistakes are going to happen all year especially under pressue.

As a big Watts fan I think his biggest problem is he seems scared to make a mistake. Sometimes If I was his coach I'd tell him to kick for goal when in range and play on immediately when he's not. Just go for it Jack.

No, he just wants to make the right decision.

I don't think he's afraid at all, or that he has issues with his confidence.

He just knows he doesn't have the heft to be busting through packs at this stage and physically imposing himself.

As is the catchphrase these days, it will just take time.

I actually liked what I saw from Jack yesterday. Didn't kick four goals but took a great contested grab, looked much better in the marking contests than I had seen him before and appeared more willing to accept physical contact. He also did some smart work that won't appear in his stats like repeat leads that weren't honoured and a terrific tap on. Held on to the ball a little long once or twice but rarely wastes a possesion and I'd prefer the ball in his hands than many others.

This game was a step forward and I think it showed that he is working on those areas of his game that will help elevate him to the next level.

Yep, the workrate was up there and he did some smart things.

He's big enough, skillful enough and smart enough to compete, but he's just not quite at the stage where he can take the game by the scruff of the neck, and that is clearly frustrating some impatient supporters.

A bit like Dale Thomas, Watts plays a role and I'm sure the football dept would be happy with his output, even if supporters aren't.

Edited by e25

He's big enough, skillful enough and smart enough to compete, but he's just not quite at the stage where he can take the game by the scruff of the neck, and that is clearly frustrating some impatient supporters.

I think this is a strawman - you're misrepesenting at least some of the comments regarding Watts.

Yes fwits did.

I don't agree with Hannabal - Watts can still be a great player - as Bob says he's just not going to be the type of great player he hoped for.

I'm pretty sure Hannabal wrote Garland off, so it's not just complete fwits who did :P

Gee only two years ago people were wanting Jamar to be traded...Some people nicked named him donuts in fact for his zero possies....

He said he wouldn't be a star, that's not writing him off, huge difference.

As for your third sentence you basically rehash what I put in my post.

People seem to read what they want to read and not what's said. Thankfully there are those like yourself that actually read the words.

I had really high hopes for Watts to become a bona fide star of the competition because I haven't seen one at Melbourne since Flower and those that are familiar with my postings over the last 8.5 years would know that I've lamented our lack of star factor for a very long time. Even the club acknowledged that we needed to recruit stars in an article a year or so ago. I think Watts has the hallmarks of a very good player, but I don't see X factor star written all over him. He'll have the odd game where he'll kick 6 or 7 goals and my post will be bumped by those of shallow thought, but it needn't be. Plenty of very good players have great games, but it's a star I crave and I doubt he'll transition into one.

Kernahan was a star at 21. Carey was a star at 21 and so was Brereton. Locket was a star at 18. Lloyd kicked 63 goals as a 19 year old. Riewoldt was a star at 21. It's easy to forget that Paul Salmon was a star at 19 kicking 63 goals from 13 games before he did his knee and was never quite the same again. I actually think that 2012 will be a far better year for Watts when he's put on another 5 kilos - which he needs.

So to clarify, I'm not "writing" him off and I still think he'll be a very good player, but having watched footy for a long time I'll be very surprised if Watts turns into a superstar of the competition. Maybe my definition of superstar differs from others. But if he significantly contributes to a flag I won't care if he's a star or not.

I'm pretty sure Hannabal wrote Garland off, so it's not just complete fwits who did :P

I never wrote Garland off. My Brother once said that he was the worst player he'd seen since Chris Woodman. We were flogged in round 1 by Hawthorn about 4 years ago by roughly 100 points when he said it in a somewhat emotional state, but thankfully I was at Eildon and missed the match.

Gee only two years ago people were wanting Jamar to be traded...Some people nicked named him donuts in fact for his zero possies....

Not "some people", it was me. It was apt.

But I never asked for him to be traded. Do a search if you like.

That's fair.

I did say some.

Obviously what I said does not apply to all.

It's also fair to say I've only skimmed over this thread, so I'm not sure.

By the way e25 where did you get that photo of Bailey?

It must be the only time he has been angry at Melb. in four years!

No, he just wants to make the right decision.

In other words he doesn't want to make a mistake. it plays on his mind and it shows. He's naturally a quick decision maker so why do we continually watch hold up play. He's not yet playing on instinct, his brain is too involved and like all brains it's a tad scared of making a mistake. Argue all you like but on this I'm spot on.

In other words he doesn't want to make a mistake. it plays on his mind and it shows. He's naturally a quick decision maker so why do we continually watch hold up play. He's not yet playing on instinct, his brain is too involved and like all brains it's a tad scared of making a mistake. Argue all you like but on this I'm spot on.

i agree but when the penny drops and he becomes instinctive with his possessions Look out opposition teams.

It will happen, he only turned 20 last week.

Maybe my definition of superstar differs from others..

I agree that the superstar tag gets thrown around all too often these days but I can't believe you'd name Reiwoldt but not Garry Lyon :blink:

Lyon was a true champion, he succeeded not only at full forward but also at centre half back and in the middle, and regularly changed / won games

I must say, to this point I have been backing Watts in 100%, with the whole "he needs time, he needs to build a body, and the results will come" mindset..but I must admit for the first time since we recruited him, I am starting to have serious doubts about whether he will ever be more than just an average AFL player. My biggest concerns are

1. He cannot seem to hold a tackle for the life of him and;

2. He cannot seem to go in hard at a contest or put his body on the line to get the hard ball! Going hard at the footy is not something you need to put on muscle to do, it's an instinct. Look at Scully.

I hope that I am mistaken here but whilst I agree he is making improvements, they are minimal and I just can't see him developing into a superstar....

Guest 36DD

FFS keyboard heroes, back the kid in.

Give him time to develop size and strength through his core.

Why do you think Tapscott had such an impressive debut...bcoz he is a man child and he has confidence in his body to handle the physical stuff.

Jack will get there, another 5kg's over next preseason will have him well on his way, by 2013 he will be a dominant player.

That's great, but I've seen enough to know that he'll never be a star of the competition and that's very disappointing - especially for a number 1 draft pick.

Yeah, same call with Goddard and Reiwoldt. Nah nah nah...

I must say, to this point I have been backing Watts in 100%, with the whole "he needs time, he needs to build a body, and the results will come" mindset..but I must admit for the first time since we recruited him, I am starting to have serious doubts about whether he will ever be more than just an average AFL player. My biggest concerns are

1. He cannot seem to hold a tackle for the life of him and;

2. He cannot seem to go in hard at a contest or put his body on the line to get the hard ball! Going hard at the footy is not something you need to put on muscle to do, it's an instinct. Look at Scully.

I hope that I am mistaken here but whilst I agree he is making improvements, they are minimal and I just can't see him developing into a superstar....

i don't think he has the instincts of a forward, he is not hungry enough, always wanting to give the ball off like a linkman. why oh why didn't he at least have a shot at the big sticks when he compulsively did that high cross? my thoughts were the same, he could do very well across the half-back line, setting up play. can he ruck? there is an article in the age this morning about their double act Hille and Ryder.