WELCOME TO THE MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB - BILLY STRETCH

e25

You cant judge SS on one dropped mark .

'88 was a dog day afternoon .

They all squibbed it-and Hawks were a bigger ,stronger ,better side .

Stretcher was a top wingman/hbf with better kicking, running ability than 98 % of players running around today.

Hawks at the time, and WCE a few years later were bigger and stronger than any others in the competition..........and, an observation, drug testing came in soon thereafter and they both came back to the field !!

I think you guys left out the fact that SS was waiting for a hospital ball on the wing with Dipper coming from one side and Dermie from the other - which one of us would not have taken a step back?

Stretch won the B&F in the year we broke our 23 years finals drought and played over 150 games, yet the most vivid recollection you want to share about this former player on a thread dedicated to potentially drafting his Son is that one incident ?

Sorry. [censored] poster.

Don't always agree with you, Mr Hur, but 100% with you on this one.

I challenge the critics of SS to name one player wouldn't have taken steps to avoid a rampant Dipper? This was all before MRP and any sense of importance attached to protection of the head.

Now days neither Dipper nor Dermie for that matter, let alone Whitten or Dyer, would have played very many games.

Dipper was a thug who wouldn't last beyond one game in today's competition. He made very sure that Robbie Flower's career ended in the medical room. To suggest that SS was a coward for not allowing himself to be destroyed by a maniac who weighed 20 kilos more and was clearly intent upon severe injury is stupid beyond comprehension.

SS was an excellent player who gave great service and joy to the MFC. I loved watching his run and accurate delivery and to have his son at the club would be fantastic.

Dipper was a thug who wouldn't last beyond one game in today's competition. He made very sure that Robbie Flower's career ended in the medical room. To suggest that SS was a coward for not allowing himself to be destroyed by a maniac who weighed 20 kilos more and was clearly intent upon severe injury is stupid beyond comprehension.

SS was an excellent player who gave great service and joy to the MFC. I loved watching his run and accurate delivery and to have his son at the club would be fantastic.

Mid to late first round pick is the early gauge.

This one will test us.

I expect young Billy to be in the top 10 range.

Depends on where we finish, but we already have a list stacked with kids.

It's not the all and end all if we have to pay slightly overs for him.

Certainly not as big as getting Viney in the 20's, which was steal of the decade.

Agree totally but can someone explain how that assassin ever won a Brownlow? What were the umpires thinking? We all know why the greats never won one like Barrassi, Whitten, Matthews. They knew they could not win one the way they played. Somehow the biggest thug did? Please explain.

I take it the the MFC isn't planning on bringing Billy to Victoria for a year's preparation inside the club system like it did with Jack Viney a couple of years ago?

Nope, the only reason we committed to Viney so early was because of the mini draft that GC & GWS had access to.

• 2 weeks later...

I take it the the MFC isn't planning on bringing Billy to Victoria for a year's preparation inside the club system like it did with Jack Viney a couple of years ago?

The drafting of Billy Stretch is going to be a little more complicated than the Viney selection. Much will depend on where we finish which will determine the cost in terms of draft position that we'll be asked to give away in order to get him. The other side of the equation is how he develops personally and as a player. Will he be a top 10 prospect or will he drift? What if we badly need a top key position defender and not a slightly built midfielder like Billy?

Too early to make a call I think.

• Like 2

totally agree, loved watching Stretcher play

Agree that Steven Stretch was a lovely player to watch. So was Alan Johnston. Such silky skills. (How's that for a jerky comment!!) :rolleyes:

I agree with that.....and it doesn't guarantee that the boy will do well.

Surely Stretchlet will have to prove himself in the appropriate level of competition to be assessed for his worth. No room for sentimentality.

The drafting of Billy Stretch is going to be a little more complicated than the Viney selection. Much will depend on where we finish which will determine the cost in terms of draft position that we'll be asked to give away in order to get him. The other side of the equation is how he develops personally and as a player. Will he be a top 10 prospect or will he drift? What if we badly need a top key position defender and not a slightly built midfielder like Billy?

Too early to make a call I think.

Agree--- need to get our priorities right & a tall defender is my first priority - as is right now.
  • Like 1

Agree--- need to get our priorities right & a tall defender is my first priority - as is right now.

Jay Lever might be the one to get. I wonder how much his injury will affect his draft position. Top 10 calibre pre knee injury.

I remember Steven Stretch going head to head with Alex Ishchenko of the then Brisbane Bears in the centre square one day and didn't take a backward step. In fact he had Ishchenkos measure for the most part.

For those too young to have seen him, Ishchenko would have been 15+cm taller and 35-40kg heavier than Stretch and a filthy sniper of the highest order to boot.

Also used to go and watch Hawthorn train in the late 80's as a teenager and was allowed in the inner sanctum to watch them weight training etc. Let's just say some earlier posts may have some currency...

Agree totally but can someone explain how that assassin ever won a Brownlow? What were the umpires thinking? We all know why the greats never won one like Barrassi, Whitten, Matthews. They knew they could not win one the way they played. Somehow the biggest thug did? Please explain.

robbie flower??? please explain?