Praising Bruce

joeboy

My son's football team had a guest coach tonight who was asked to name the hardest opponent he'd ever encountered on the football field . He answered , Cameron Bruce , and his name was Brad Johnson - The Bulldogs' Brad Johnson .

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not actually surprising. Cameron Bruce has smashed Johnno a few times. James Hird also regularly mentions Brucie when asked who his toughest opponents were. He gets a bad rap sometimes, but there are a lot of good things that Cameron Bruce can do on the field.

Not actually surprising. Cameron Bruce has smashed Johnno a few times. James Hird also regularly mentions Brucie when asked who his toughest opponents were. He gets a bad rap sometimes, but there are a lot of good things that Cameron Bruce can do on the field.

Unsurprisingly Cam Bruce has the most disposals on any MFC player this season... again.

He goes out these days quite defensively and ussually does the job.

He's a valuable member of the team, and perenially underated on this site.

He's no longer a core player in teh team, but plays a nice role week in week out

Guest Rojik of the Arctic

Cam's ability to find the ball, and to win the one on ones is superb. Unfortunately he doesn't possess a lightning handball or a laser kick so that tends to get highlighted. I've found it interesting that he disposes of it better when the team is on - maybe it is because he doesn't have to second guess his use and just aims at the first option.

He is pretty badly treated by some of the posters for what is a small flaw in a very good package.

Bruce used to head down back and play on Johnno each time we played the doggies, similar with Hird... he was a star in his day...

he's struggled at times to adapt to our new gameplan however, and has sold plenty of team mates into trouble on the half-back line with poor handpasses...

however recent weeks has seen him get up the ground more, he's tagged some of the opposition's best players in O'Keefe and Power, and done a fantastic job... I really like him up on a wing, he struggles with the defensive pressure applied to the forwards on the half back line...

I'm one who has knocked him, but, he is playing very well atmo. Has done for 6 weeks now. He's still iffy with his disposal but he's been more positive of late.

I've seen Johnson mention this in a couple of interviews before. Having players such as him and Hird list him amongst their toughest opponents speaks volumes.

He looks like a man who is really enjoying his footy at the moment and, fortunately, I see him playing out his career at the MFC.

I think Bruce is a better defensive, negating type player, than he is damaging with the footy in his own hands.

When answering this question players think about who has the capacity to make it hard for them to play their own game, not necessarily who beats them or who forces them to be more accountable.

I think Bruce is a better defensive, negating type player, than he is damaging with the footy in his own hands.

When answering this question players think about who has the capacity to make it hard for them to play their own game, not necessarily who beats them or who forces them to be more accountable.

Although one of the things that Hird used to say was that Bruce would beat you defensively, but also hurt you going the other way. That comment might surprise you now, but let's not forget that in his day, Cameron Bruce was pretty good.

In his day, Cameron Bruce was damn good. He's still pretty good now.

I've wavered back and forward this year because he has those gut-wrenching clangers... as mentioned, the handballing to teammates without thinking about their (terrible) situation, and the kicks going alle-oop.

So I made a commitment to watch closely for a while and yeah, he works damn hard, he does a good job for the team, he has a great defensive work ethic and still manages bursts of attack.

I think we are all harsh on him because there was a time, culminating in the string of BOGs right before the shoulder injury, back in 2005, where we thought he was gonna break through and be a serious, serious star. The missing player to shift our midfield up a notch and make us serious contenders instead of 'finals meat' from 2004-06.

But he is a stalwart and deserves the same respect we have for guys like Doggy Brown or Rigoni.

I've wavered back and forward this year because he has those gut-wrenching clangers... as mentioned, the handballing to teammates without thinking about their (terrible) situation, and the kicks going alle-oop.

So I made a commitment to watch closely for a while and yeah, he works damn hard, he does a good job for the team, he has a great defensive work ethic and still manages bursts of attack.

I think we are all harsh on him because there was a time, culminating in the string of BOGs right before the shoulder injury, back in 2005, where we thought he was gonna break through and be a serious, serious star. The missing player to shift our midfield up a notch and make us serious contenders instead of 'finals meat' from 2004-06.

But he is a stalwart and deserves the same respect we have for guys like Doggy Brown or Rigoni.

I watched the 2000 Elimination final v Carlton last night (I know "No life") in particular watched Bruce and Green tear the Blues apart. Both men are still playing with exactly the same im pact that they displayed on that memorable day

Bruce is the type of player you have to actually watch to see the effect he has. Very very underrated- one of the greats of the Melbourne football team. Any body who bags him either hasnt been watching close enough or doesnt know anything about Football. Johnno and Hird know exactly what he is all about

Well done cam Bruce

He's no longer a core player in teh team, but plays a nice role week in week out

i've seen this "core" player term used in other threads and dont agree with its use. Cam Bruce may not be as good as he was a few season ago, but i would deffinatley say he's one of the core players on our list at the moment. I'd say that all of the more senior guys make up the core of the playing group/are the core of the team - Cam Bruce, Brad Green, Jimmy Mac, Riv, Beamer etc

I remember a few seasons ago when Cam Bruce would have been a shot for the brownlow had he not gotten injured - absolute star in his prime

He sat on our table at the Western Demons function earlier this year and he's a Great bloke too

great post. agree with everything you said. we actually used to call him "Brownlow Bruce" back in the day, seems funny now. have been a big knocker of him throughout the season but has had a fantastic past month. hope he can keep it up because it's probably had a fair bit to do with us winning games.

• 4 weeks later...

great post. agree with everything you said. we actually used to call him "Brownlow Bruce" back in the day, seems funny now. have been a big knocker of him throughout the season but has had a fantastic past month. hope he can keep it up because it's probably had a fair bit to do with us winning games.

*BUMP*

According to M.Stevens, Bruce has been asked to take a significant pay cut from his last contract: -

AFL Clubs rush to secure stars...

I'll happily go on record and say this has been a welcome return to great form for Bruce. I still have issue with his disposals but by and large a very good contributing year. Now speaking of contributing the club has lined his pockets rather handsomely for a few years now, even dare I suggest when it wasn't overly earnt . With Junior goingit might be wise to retain him for a year or two (2nd year no guaranteed starts ... Maybe not even first ) but he needs to understand a little bit of payback is needed via a salary cut. That seems fair enough; otherwise enjoy the Sun by all means!

I'll happily go on record and say this has been a welcome return to great form for Bruce. I still have issue with his disposals but by and large a very good contributing year. Now speaking of contributing the club has lined his pockets rather handsomely for a few years now, even dare I suggest when it wasn't overly earnt . With Junior goingit might be wise to retain him for a year or two (2nd year no guaranteed starts ... Maybe not even first ) but he needs to understand a little bit of payback is needed via a salary cut. That seems fair enough; otherwise enjoy the Sun by all means!

Return to form??

Have you checked his finish in the B&F over the past 10 years? That says the club ranks him very highly.

*BUMP*

According to M.Stevens, Bruce has been asked to take a significant pay cut from his last contract: -

AFL Clubs rush to secure stars...

With the silly season fireing up, our well publicised front ending of contracts and Bruce being asked to take a paycut. I would have thought Melbourne would be mentioned more in the media for us targetting players. It seems to be just Carlton and Essendon, and of course Gold Coast. I expect us to figure heavily in the player movement stakes this year even if we don't land one, but I don't think I have read anything.

Could be an interesting dilemma here. Sure you can say bruce owes us, he has been on a big three year contract and needs to take a pay cut. But if he is offered big beans to finish his career elsewhere, what happens? Kinda different to a regular job, but surely u have to look after your future in this case. Not sure brucey will still be round when our window opens anyway..if he goes well played brucey a great player esp consideeing he was selected as a late pick from melb high

I wouldve thought, with Bruce able to be slotted onto the veterans list this year in place of McDonald, that a pay cut wouldnt be necessary, as we could simply continue to pay him the same amount, but half of it is now exempt from the salary cap.

Of his B&F finishes, these are the ones I can find:

2001 - 9th

2002 - 2nd

2003 - 6th

2006 - 2nd

2008 - 1st

2009 - 3rd

Not bad!