Changes for next week

gOLLy

For mine we are playing too tall in defence. It is no surprise that we lacked run out of defence when we were playing Warnock, Frawley, Garland, Rivers and Joel Mc.

Outs - Joel McDonald, Rivers, Bruce, Miller, Jetta

Ins - James McDonald, Sylvia, Cheney, Bennell, Wona

Dunn to relieve Jamar. Morton to go back if defensive height required.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think its time for Brad Miller to go out. I think Jack Watts as much as everyone here is killing him was not too bad, he certainly wasn't our worst. Dunn & Bate were fairly productive for the amount of ball they saw, especially Bater. Jetta was far too quiet.

MacDonald got a bit better through the game but that wasn't difficult because he turned over everything in the first half and should likely go straight back out again unless Rivers beats him to it, but sure Riv will have an apple ready for Bailey.

I spent the last week on Demonland arguing the point on why it was so so wrong to drop Gysberts and was given the advice it was his shabby disposal!! And the football club replace him with MacDonald??? Yep that was a good move, topped off by being smashed in the clearances where Gys would have been more than handy.

INS - Sylvia, McDonald, Gysberts, Wonaeamirri or Bennell

OUTS - Miller, MacDonald, Jetta, Rivers

You are right. I am not his biggest fan but he deserves a go next week.

I can think of 5 players that should make way for him.

What about Bell he has played well for Casey, surely could not make us any worse!

we have an eye on the future with this season, and that future does not include Daniel Bell!!!

Its no coincidence that we played our best footy when we had run and carry storming out of defence and right now we are just too big down there. When that run and carry was happening Rivers was sitting in the grand stand.

INS: McDonald, Sylvia, Bennell, Wona

OUTS: Rivers, Bruce, Miller, Watts

The saints are not a quick team, lets roll the dice and try and out run them....gotta try something

Out: Jetta, Bartram, Rivers/MacDonald

In: Sylvia, Junior, Cheney

If we did drop Gysberts because of an ineffective performance than he should find his way back through the VFL, if not then i'd give him a chance to get right with either another week off or through Casey. Watts and Miller both weren't great but i don't know whether they were being given the opportunity from the midfield to play their natural game so i reckon they'll both keep their spots.

Can you post something without knocking Bailey every single time? It's very tiresome...

But I agree with what you've said about those 3 ('cept Bruce)

Changes will be difficult this week, considering how bad Casey was last week.

And exactly where did I bag Bailey in this post?

I merely stated in my opinion those players aren't skillful enough for his gameplan.

In: McDonald, Sylvia, Bennell

Out: Bruce, Miller, Jetta

Also on the wishlist would be Cheney in for Rivers, but that won't happen.

McKenzie out for Gysberts could be an option as well, thought Jordie was average today. Then again, he was probably better than Jones.

Another thought, if we're going to persist with Morton in the back line, he needs either 1. have Rivers' old responsibility of floating back at packs, or 2. have the responsiblity of being the designated kicker. IMO the status quo leaves him with a bit of a nothing role - if we put his excellent kicking on the spot (like against Carlton) I reckon he could improve more quickly. Otherwise put him on the wing as a tall-ish target.

Looking at the opposition it'd be worth bringing Cheney into the side. That way we would have him and Bartram to match Milne and Schneider. I don't think Roo will be back, so we won't need too much height in our backline. It's the small forwards and attacking midfield runs we need to watch out for.

OUTs - Miller, Watts, MacDonald, McKenzie,

INs - Cheney, Bennell, Sylvia, Junior,

Time for Garland and Morton to play forward with Bate. Cheney to help out down back!

I would like to see Grimes play on a wing or in the midfield more often.

I WANT TOO SEE POSITIONS CHANGES THIS WEEK! We are so predictable.

AND I WANT TOO SEE US KICK MORE THAN WE HANDBALL... AND ACTUALLY HAVE A FORWARD LINE TO KICK TOO!!!

THAT CANT BE TOO HARD! SHIKES...

In: James McDonald, Colin Sylvia, Jamie Bennell, Paul Johnson, Jake Spencer

Out: Neville Jetta, Jordie McKenzie, Jack Watts? Brad Miller?

McDonald and Sylvia slot straight into our 22 when proven fitness. While I think Jetta and McKenzie had quiet games and probably will have to get nudged out to make room for McDonald and Sylvia. While Watts is an interesting one. His form doesn't really warrant a game in the Melbourne side at the moment. But of coarse its better for Jack and the future of the Melbourne football club that he plays this week, so its unlikely he will be dropped, and fair enough I suppose. Brad Miller`s form doesn't really warrant a game either, but our forward line would be lacking in structure if he was to be dropped. Paul Johnson and Spencer should be pushing for selection as a second ruck man, considering Miller has taken that job, and struggled. While Jamie Bennell should make his way into the team at the omission of Jetta.

AND I WANT TOO SEE US KICK MORE THAN WE HANDBALL... AND ACTUALLY HAVE A FORWARD LINE TO KICK TOO!!!

THAT CANT BE TOO HARD! SHIKES...

NO WE DON'T

YES IT IS HARD TO KICK IT DOWN FORWARD WHEN THERE ARE NO OPTIONS TO KICK IT TO.

Our structure makes our forwards push up and help out but then we have to handball through and wait for options, it's good when it works but makes us look bad when it doesn't work. I like the gameplan but it will take time.

Edited by Mr Morton

***Early after the game rant*****

F*** honourable losses, lets go back to the future (and the skip).

2 ruckmen may as well develop them. Play the guys of the future.

In: McDonald, Sylvia, Strauss, MacNamara, Spencer

Out: Macdonald, Dunn, Bartram, Rivers, Miller

I`m not a massive Bruce fan, but I`m baffled why people want him dropped after todays performance.

23 touches (3rd highest), 8 marks 2 goals. 83% efficiency

Agree. Bruce, MacDonald and Rivers were all in our best today. If people want these three dropped I suggest you roll the tape again.

INS: Sylvia, McDonald and Bennell

OUT: Warnock, Jetta and Watts

I must have been watching the wrong game because I thought Watts was OK today considering the ball use and the amount of times we went forward. He wasn't great but far from our worse.

Out Jetta, Miller, Warnock

In Sylvia, McDonald, Spencer

Jetta, he is not playing as a crumbing small forward we are using him as a marking option Sylvia is better.

Miller when we need experience players to step up he goes missing, he can go missing for the rest of the year.

Warnock we can't keep playing Frawley, Garland, Rivers and Warnock down back, I liked Macdonald's last quarter he had a crack Warnock got smashed

We can't keep playing Jamar as the lone ruckman we get killed when he is off.

The team

Bartram Frawley Garland

MacDonald Rivers Bruce

Scully Grimes Trengove

Sylvia Dunn Green

Watts Bate Davey

Jamar Moloney Jones

Spencer Morton McKenzie McDonald

After seeing Grimes in the third quarter thats where he need to play. Cheney and Strauss have the opportunity over the next few weeks to take MacDonald's spot as we need to add someone with good foot skills into this backline.

I must have been watching the wrong game because I thought Watts was OK today considering the ball use and the amount of times we went forward. He wasn't great but far from our worse.

I like your choices but I would add Cheney for Rivers.

Agree. Bruce, MacDonald and Rivers were all in our best today. If people want these three dropped I suggest you roll the tape again.

INS: Sylvia, McDonald and Bennell

OUT: Warnock, Jetta and Watts

Mate, I'll agree that MacDonald did improve. But his disposal in the first half.....you better run that tape again because it was horrid, awful. Rivers & Warnock I would say 'tried hard' but we certainly not in our best at all. Both Tippett and Walker won the battles against them but I'd add that the ball was on top of them far too often.

Garland and Chip Frawley far and away our best defenders on the day....again!

Grimes, love him but he can butcher it at times, he looked great in the middle in 3rd qtr though because his desperation was a step up from everyone else in there. (apologies to Scully and Trengove).

Watts - yep the soles of his shoes were far too evident as were the majority of the team. Jack has plenty to work on, urgency etc etc but yesterday was far from his worst effort and the movement of the ball to the forwards was insipid, 29 inside 50's proves this. Brad Miller assisted Russian in the ruck and still had less of the ball and took less marks than Jack Watts.

Jetta, he is not playing as a crumbing small forward we are using him as a marking option Sylvia is better.

Miller when we need experience players to step up he goes missing, he can go missing for the rest of the year.

Warnock we can't keep playing Frawley, Garland, Rivers and Warnock down back, I liked Macdonald's last quarter he had a crack Warnock got smashed

We can't keep playing Jamar as the lone ruckman we get killed when he is off.

The team

Bartram Frawley Garland

MacDonald Rivers Bruce

Scully Grimes Trengove

Sylvia Dunn Green

Watts Bate Davey

Jamar Moloney Jones

Spencer Morton McKenzie McDonald

After seeing Grimes in the third quarter thats where he need to play. Cheney and Strauss have the opportunity over the next few weeks to take MacDonald's spot as we need to add someone with good foot skills into this backline.

A question. "if Watts was a number 50 pick would he be in the team?

Other wise I agree with your selections.

With our lack of options up forward yes he would and with the games he has played we would have been happy that a pick 50 is taking 6 + marks per game and some contested footy. I thought he started to run to the right spots yesterday and his work rate was up. The issue still is his fitness he blows up way to quickly but with more game time this will get better.

Watts has ability and we need to keep playing, we need to remember where our team is at, we are not finals contenders we are in the third year of development, to take us to finals contenders next year we need Watts to get better and the only way he will get better is by playing out the season at AFL level.

I thought he started to run to the right spots yesterday and his work rate was up. The issue still is his fitness he blows up way to quickly but with more game time this will get better.

Good call.

In: Sylvia, McDonald, Cheney

Out: Rivers, Miller, Bartram

MacDonald keeps his spot on the back of his last quarter. He has to be instructed to play the entire match next week like he played that fourth quarter. Gave us run, aggression and a half-decent kick coming out of defence.

Rivers can't kick. Twice OOF under little pressure. Not good enough, and someone has to make way for McDonald and Sylvia. Plus we've too many defender/talls in the team, so swapping one for McDonald gives extra run. Miller doesn't do anywhere near enough. Bate managed 4 goals and I saw improvement in Watts.

Bartram's disposals kill us. Time to reward Cheney for his efforts at Casey.

I'd also look at swapping Jetta for Gysberts or maybe Bennell.

Warnock will probably get Stanley next week, and he has to dominate him or he risks his spot in the team in the long term.

changes for next week

as a team

GROW SOME !!!

get into it...dont watch... shepherd/hit...dont watch.... run with /provide backup...dont watch.. make them earn it...dont watch !!!

we have enough spectators at a game... we need 22 PLAYERS~!!!

the changes for next week are between the ears....its attitude and application

For mine we are playing too tall in defence. It is no surprise that we lacked run out of defence when we were playing Warnock, Frawley, Garland, Rivers and Joel Mc.

We still didn't have enough height to counter Tippett, Walker, Griffin, Henderson and Maric.

I`m not a massive Bruce fan, but I`m baffled why people want him dropped after todays performance.

23 touches (3rd highest), 8 marks 2 goals. 83% efficiency

Be very careful when quoting Bruce's efficiency rate is it counts a handball to someone about to get crunched (who then gets crunched) as an effective disposal.

Agree with the overall sentiment that the problem was not in the forward line. They did bloody well considering we had only 29 inside-50's for the game. And the backline did OK considering we conceded 60. The issue is in the midfield where we got completely smashed. We need another ruckman (the season is shot so let's blood Spencer) and we need guys who are willing to stick their head over the ball and get in there and grab it. Really hurt with McDonald out and Moloney unable to get near it with a hard tag. While McKenzie tackles well he doesn't get enough of the ball.

With our lack of options up forward yes he would and with the games he has played we would have been happy that a pick 50 is taking 6 + marks per game and some contested footy. I thought he started to run to the right spots yesterday and his work rate was up. The issue still is his fitness he blows up way to quickly but with more game time this will get better.

Watts has ability and we need to keep playing, we need to remember where our team is at, we are not finals contenders we are in the third year of development, to take us to finals contenders next year we need Watts to get better and the only way he will get better is by playing out the season at AFL level.

Spot on.

changes for next week

as a team

GROW SOME !!!

get into it...dont watch... shepherd/hit...dont watch.... run with /provide backup...dont watch.. make them earn it...dont watch !!!

we have enough spectators at a game... we need 22 PLAYERS~!!!

the changes for next week are between the ears....its attitude and application

Double spot on.

For what it's worth....

Out- Rivers, Jetta, MacDonald,

In- Sylvia, Junior, Bennell / Cheney

People also need to remember that Casey got pasted last game and no-one showed anything deserving of promotion. I think Aussie needs more fitness, Strauss needs to show more in one on ones, Cheney got beaten.