Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

SEN 2017 AFL PREVIEW: MELBOURNE’S BEST 22

Whispering_Jack

SEN is previewing each AFL club's best 22. This is their opinion on the MFC:-

2017 AFL PREVIEW: MELBOURNE’S BEST 22

B: Michael Hibberd, Tom McDonald, Neville Jetta
HB: Bernie Vince, Oscar McDonald, Jayden Hunt
C: Dom Tyson, Jordan Lewis, Clayton Oliver
HF: Christian Petracca, Sam Weideman, Dean Kent
F: Jack Watts, Jesse Hogan, Jeff Garlett
Foll: Max Gawn, Jack Viney, Nathan Jones
INT: Jake Melksham, Christian Salem, Angus Brayshaw, Aaron vandenBerg

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, billy2803 said:

Still 2-3 years away from being dominant in my view.  Playing a final or two in 17 will be priceless development for this group.

Agree to an extent but when you look across all the lines there's some good experience and a nice age spread apart from the half forward line. I think we might see Pedo instead of Weideman quiet a bit.

The time spent together during the pre season and the intensity of match play they've been practicing might help expedite the rate at which they 'gel' and result in added wins outside of many peoples expectations.

• Like 2

It's been discussed here before that a best 22 is fast becoming an esoteric concept as the list gets more depth to it.  Billy Stretch doesn't seem to get much love externally and Wagner's debut year has obviously been dismissed as has Frost's late flourish.  Not to mention Harmes' current form on the track.  And that's prior to debating Pedersen ahead of Weideman and whether Bugg gets a look in over Vandenberg or Melksham and whether Joel Smith can be a smoky, Maynard or Hannan or Kielty or Tim Smith step up etc.   

The major point though is that the writer talks about the key issue for Goodwin being shallow depth after the core four midfielders he nominates.  I think many of the so called experts will read it this way and may well be surprised.  More importantly for us, we already know that Stretch's, Harmes' and Wagner's best is to be reckoned with and this should mean that whoever's on the park is performing.

• Like 11

Why is Vince anywhere near the backline? And training with the backs to this day. 

He killed it in the midfield and won the B&F. He's been ordinary at best in the backline. 

We've missed his shut down ability, accumulating, and instinct for timely goals when he's in the middle. His turnovers hurt more when he's in defence too. 

With the additions of Hibberd, Melksham and a fit Salem, it boggles my mind that we're persevering  with Vince down back. 

Edited by Deestroy All
  • Like 18

39 minutes ago, Deestroy All said:

Why is Vince anywhere near the backline? And training with the backs to this day. 

He killed it in the midfield and won the B&F. He's been ordinary at best in the backline. 

We've missed his shut down ability, accumulating, and instinct for timely goals when he's in the middle. His turnovers hurt more when he's in defence too. 

With the additions of Hibberd, Melksham and a fit Salem, it boggles my mind that we're persevering  with Vince down back. 

Getting old mate, he and chunk will both rotate through half back next year now we have some depth 

• Like 4

When I see best 22s I'm often much more interested in seeing the list of 5-10 names that missed out.  It is hard to see who is where in a 22 which means it's easy to over look a someone you exist to be in there.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, deanox said:

When I see best 22s I'm often much more interested in seeing the list of 5-10 names that missed out.  It is hard to see who is where in a 22 which means it's easy to over look a someone you exist to be in there.

Agreed - there should be a 'next in line' or 'unlucky to miss out' list with each line on the field. The 'emergency' list would often provide this but it's regularly left out.

• Like 2

Perhaps they should call it the 'ideal' starting lineup, ideal and injury free. They don't take into account the simple fact that many players literally emerge from the ether: look at Mr Hunt. Nobody except die-hard Demon fanatics even knew he existed this time last year.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, dieter said:

Perhaps they should call it the 'ideal' starting lineup, ideal and injury free. They don't take into account the simple fact that many players literally emerge from the ether: look at Mr Hunt. Nobody except die-hard Demon fanatics even knew he existed this time last year.

And many of us had no idea he was capable of such a massive impact. 

• Like 2

I agree on Frosty  Clint, also Billy Stretch for Salem who us underwhelmed many supporters so far and has ongoing fitness issues

Edited by jackaub
Spelling

2 minutes ago, Fat Tony said:

I am unconvinced that either Weideman or Oscar McDonald are in our “best 22” at this stage. I am not saying that they should not play most games this season, as we really need them both to develop into bona fide AFL players.

Oscar will play no doubt, he has been at senior level too long going down will be a confidence killer. He has to tools to be a good player now we are at the stage where he just has to rack up 50-60 games before he becomes consistant.

Weiderman i think will probably play most of the year regardless of form, similar to Oscar in 2016 but my personal opinion is he should be told "you had 3 games to experience AFL footy thats what is required go back to VFL and spend 10 weeks building confidence before coming in half way through the season" Maybe even less than 10 but i think the VFL time worked wonders for CP5.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ArtificialWisdom said:

Oscar will play no doubt, he has been at senior level too long going down will be a confidence killer. He has to tools to be a good player now we are at the stage where he just has to rack up 50-60 games before he becomes consistant.

Weiderman i think will probably play most of the year regardless of form, similar to Oscar in 2016 but my personal opinion is he should be told "you had 3 games to experience AFL footy thats what is required go back to VFL and spend 10 weeks building confidence before coming in half way through the season" Maybe even less than 10 but i think the VFL time worked wonders for CP5.

Yes I agree with this but it does not mean either are "best 22" and I would rather we pick the team that maximises our chances of winning in the early rounds.

I think Oscar is best 22, his last few weeks (last 2 rounds excluding) were great and you could see the belief rising with very disposal.  He will end up better than his brother I have no doubt.

Weids I do not think is best 22, yet.  Pedo is still the better option but depending on how Weids plays in the VFL, I would love to see him in for the second half of the year.

Billy is one of my favs, unless Salem's fitness has improved dramatically I would have Billy in before him in the best 22 at this stage.

I think our depth of talent & ability is getting to the point of being scary.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Fat Tony said:

Yes I agree with this but it does not mean either are "best 22" and I would rather we pick the team that maximises our chances of winning in the early rounds.

Weiderman obviously isnt in the best just due to his inexperience but what about Oscar? I'm not sure we have a better option.

Note: I believe Oscar, Tom and Sammy Frost all have to play in our best 22 unlike what is mentioned above. So if you think that we only 2 of them then taking OMac out makes sense 

I would prefer OMac, TMac and Frost as our 3 main talls but the SEN list does look strong. Also, there is a genuine battle betwen Stretch and VDB for that spot and JKH might give Garlett a challenge. 

13 minutes ago, AzzKikA said:

I think Oscar is best 22, his last few weeks (last 2 rounds excluding) were great and you could see the belief rising with very disposal.  He will end up better than his brother I have no doubt.

Weids I do not think is best 22, yet.  Pedo is still the better option but depending on how Weids plays in the VFL, I would love to see him in for the second half of the year.

Billy is one of my favs, unless Salem's fitness has improved dramatically I would have Billy in before him in the best 22 at this stage.

I think our depth of talent & ability is getting to the point of being scary.

Agree with most of this.

Oscar I'm not sold on but his improvement late in the year was impressive. The coaching staff clearly rate him and I think he plays all year unless injured.

Love having Pedo in the team and if fully fit deserves his spot. Yes Watts did a good job in the ruck when Max was having a rest but it's not ideal. Pedo also gives a great physical presence around the ground which is brutal at times. Weids time will come, probably mid year but Pedo will make him earn his spot!

Billy was a big surprise last year and and earns his place. He is a lot bigger, fitter and has not lost his speed and will take another step up this year. He comes in for one of AVB or Melksham. Salem is a lock if fit!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Hell Bent said:

Agree with most of this.

Oscar I'm not sold on but his improvement late in the year was impressive. The coaching staff clearly rate him and I think he plays all year unless injured.

Love having Pedo in the team and if fully fit deserves his spot. Yes Watts did a good job in the ruck when Max was having a rest but it's not ideal. Pedo also gives a great physical presence around the ground which is brutal at times. Weids time will come, probably mid year but Pedo will make him earn his spot!

Billy was a big surprise last year and and earns his place. He is a lot bigger, fitter and has not lost his speed and will take another step up this year. He comes in for one of AVB or Melksham. Salem is a lock if fit!

This interests me too. Pedo isnt a long term option he is just on the list as a backup forward and the club has stated already that it isnt ideal playing Watts in the ruck. Correct me if im wrong but by all reports Weiderman hasnt been doing any ruckwork at training which means he isnt their long term option either. If he was then they would be doing the ruckwork even if they thought he wouldnt do it much this year. TSmith is a good natural forward but isnt very tall. Hogan never rucks because they want him to be forward of the ball for a get out of jail kick. I suspect our post match discussions this year will contain alot of comments along the lines of "Max needs more help".

Dont stress about Billy I think 9/10 of us believe he is best 22. Him being out of that side, it's just an outsider looking at our midfield and picking the higher draft picks and the imports. Hard to blame 'em with some of the names we have coming through. Personally I dont have Melksham in the side but I guess we'll have to wait and see

• Like 3