Oliver Trade Rumours

19 hours ago, Oxdee said:

Typical click bait but also wouldn’t shock me if it were to happen 

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C9d8kirulCn/?igsh=MWcwZnZ3cm9iNTh2eg==

Why we give this dill (Kane) any genuine thought when it comes to clearly antagonistic comments is certifiably insane! Clarrie is the highest rated player in the COMP based on 2020-2023 Ratings points — Shoosh Kane & stop talking purely for headline clicks! I know Hutchy would be the one encouraging it but honestly.. ENOUGH!!! 

Edited by Tolstoys Nudge

Morris is a good mate of Cornes. 

. They have done shows together and obviously talk the talk. Watching Port have their brave Coach dismantled like he was, you can only imagine what has been going on between the two of them. Then they would have started on Bode, who is another hero of the Club. I cannot understand how  a bloke in Cornes shoes could  put his allegiance to the media cesspool above his old Club Port Adelaide.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

That's literally their job... create controversy, generate clicks, annoy supporters.

I can certainly guarantee their bosses aren't pulling them into the office for a written warning for the generating clicks and creating controversy.. even though I still think what they have said is nothing on what we've already heard this year 

Everyone wants the piece of the pie in being a big hot shot Journo. Example A being the two journalists in WA with their treatment of Adam Simpson.

The footy media landscape is only going to get much worse.

Well said Dazzle.. couldn’t agree more on all fronts to be honest!!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, binman said:

From Madonna's official website:

HOLIDAY TO BE SAMPLED BY THE AVALANCHES

March 30, 2001
According NME, Madonna's 17 year old classic 1980's Hit single Holiday is to appear on a new album by The Avalanches. Now, the classic celebration of life hit single will soon be sampled in an instrumental version on the album track Stay Another Season. A spokesman for The Avalanches said, When Madonna went into her office with the new CD, she listened to it and then said the band could use the sample. They never expected to use it but they were really pleased she let them do it. The new album by The Avalanches called Since I left You will be on sale in music stores everywhere on April 15th.

ah right you are

it was the bob dylan sample that didn't make the official album 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

@Gator needs to post more.

One of the more respected members of this page for many years. From a footy analysis point of view he just calls it as he sees it and you can never have enough of people of that ilk around here.

Agreed.

Gator, in his many forms over the years, has always had great insight and often good intel. His bluntness may be too abrasive for some, but I'm quite certain the fanboy/girl outrage will be water off a ducks back 

• Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Haha 1
  • Clap 1

5 hours ago, forever demons said:

Ok he is not at his best right now,but I think he is being played diferently by Goody to get the best out of him.But iam getting a little tired of the lets feel sorry for Clarry attitude.Hes a grown man time to be one.Also played most games this year so must be fit by now

No one is suggesting we feel sorry for him, he’s not pitiful. But the adjectives old mate Gator used are insulting and UNTRUE. And instead of opining on his weight like an adult, comparing him to Augustus Galoop is nasty and unnecessary. Maybe Gator was attempting humour, in which case: a failed attempt. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Gator said:

I want the club's highest paid player, or close to it, performing on the field.

Then he needs a full pre-season. He can get through matches and his natural ability will get him enough disposals to justify his inclusion, but he doesn't have the depth of fitness to do more.

He was never going to be the Clayton of old this year. He wasn't even the Clayton of old last year post-injury, he'd missed too much footy. Fingers crossed it comes together this off-season.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, bing181 said:

Then he needs a full pre-season. He can get through matches and his natural ability will get him enough disposals to justify his inclusion, but he doesn't have the depth of fitness to do more.

He was never going to be the Clayton of old this year. He wasn't even the Clayton of old last year post-injury, he'd missed too much footy. Fingers crossed it comes together this off-season.

I don’t pretend to understand fitness very well but I would have tHought his fitness after 3 months of footy will have improved to the extent of a preseason plus a number of games.

So why are we still making references to a pre season. He has played enough footy and gotten enough miles into his legs by now. Or doesn’t it work like that?

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Gawndy the Great said:

I don’t pretend to understand fitness very well but I would have tHought his fitness after 3 months of footy will have improved to the extent of a preseason plus a number of games.

So why are we still making references to a pre season. He has played enough footy and gotten enough miles into his legs by now. Or doesn’t it work like that?

Firstly that is totally false. Players get tired during seasons, if he’s coming off a low base it’s not going to magically improve with the bash and crash style of footy he plays. 
Seasons are made in the off season. Remember 2019? We had a shocking off season of injuries and subsequently a horrible season on the field. 

Secondly I love how everyone conveniently forgot that he had a nasty hand injury which he played with and then had an operation on. Given his hands are his strength, that is a massively debilitating injury to overcome. 

He is one of the greatest ever players to pull on the red and blue. Yet he cannot be afforded a smidge of leniency. 
How will fans go when Trac returns to play and is not the same player? Because that’s a big possibility. Will we try and [censored] him off if he doesn’t immediately return to his previous form? 

Edited by Jaded No More
  • Like 9
  • Love 1
  • Clap 2

2 hours ago, Tolstoys Nudge said:

Well said Dazzle.. couldn’t agree more on all fronts to be honest!!!

This a first we've actually agreed on something? 😅

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Gawndy the Great said:

Foe players who uninterrupted preseasons, once the season starts fitness is simply maintained at the level they commenced the season at. At best.

Players who have a preseason as interrupted as clarry did might get a bit fiuyer because they are coming off a low base, but its all but impossible to get to their optimal level - unless they do a "mini preseason" at some point, like bbb did one year (which means no games).

• Like 7
  • Clap 1

Much easier to see Tom Morris going somewhere else than Clarry. Getting trolled by mates about this my comment was:

[18/7, 11:28 am] Mark: You're seriously trolling me with some [censored] from Morris and Cornes, they're not even muppets, they make as much sense as teletubbies

[18/7, 12:19 pm] Mark: And these teletubbies are even less correct than a stopped clock.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, binman said:

Foe players who uninterrupted preseasons, once the season starts fitness is simply maintained at the level they commenced the season at. At best.

Players who have a preseason as interrupted as clarry did might get a bit fiuyer because they are coming off a low base, but its all but impossible to get to their optimal level - unless they do a "mini preseason" at some point, like bbb did one year (which means no games).

Which really begs the question why play him without doing a mini preseason at the start of the year? Why play someone you know is not fit enough and won’t get any fitter during the season? Doesn’t make sense to me. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, binman said:

Nup.

Forgot about it to be honest.

An all time favorite gig of mine was seeing Social Youth, supported by Bored, at the Colendena Hotel in Torquay

Only about 200 people there. Just a crazy good gig.  

Must have being high or [censored] as @binman The Collendina is in good ol' Ocean Grove. It was a classic stop for, Midnight Oil, The Hoodoo Guru's, Hunters etc etc...

14 minutes ago, Neil Crompton said:

Which really begs the question why play him without doing a mini preseason at the start of the year? Why play someone you know is not fit enough and won’t get any fitter during the season? Doesn’t make sense to me. 

Sorry, not sure I follow.

He did a preseason, it was just interrupted.

Why play him?

Because despite his fitness level he remains out best mid. 

And his current level is above that of 80% of mids playing the game.

• Like 2
  • Love 2
  • Haha 1
  • Thinking 1

3 minutes ago, Engorged Onion said:

Must have being high or [censored] as @binman The Collendina is in good ol' Ocean Grove. It was a classic stop for, Midnight Oil, The Hoodoo Guru's, Hunters etc etc...

Right you are. Meant ocean Grove. Wrote Torquay.

Another Oliver trade thread, another triggering feel good kumbaya session for posters to be part of. It's like going back 10 years watching the Footy Show when Sam would stick up for Essendon in the middle of the saga to the thunderous applause and "Yeah, here here" of the crowd. 

And honestly, try to move past the fact that Tom Morris is back and said something as part of his job as a journalist. I'm hardly a fan of his but some of the garbage being thrown around here how no-one deserves a second chance in life is incredibly self-righteous and pathetic. 

I don't believe Clayton Oliver will leave or be traded now but my advice is save your stress, anxiety and cardiac issues for more important things than dumb articles. Support the club not the media.

This thread has been as close to Facebook tripe as you can get. Wake me up when the game is on..

Edited by layzie

8 minutes ago, binman said:

Cause despite his fitness level he remains out best mid. 

And his current level is above that of 80% of mids playing the game.

Agree there was a necessity to play him given the lack of options we have as well as the hope that he'd work his way into the seasonm, but neither of those statements you make are true. 

On output this year, he's not our best mid. And he's current level is not above that of 80% of mids playing the game. That's just rosey-coloured glasses kinda stuff. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gawndy the Great said:

You're right, it doesn't work like that. I come from an athletics background. An athlete can stay in peak racing phase for about 4-8 weeks. In the past week we have seen the big names in athletics start coming into peak form for the Olympics in 3 weeks (e.g. Faith Kepyegon's 1500m WR and Jess Hull's 1500m Aus record). Stay up for too long and the aerobic fitness base degrades and performance drops. Need to start the cycle again.

But don't trust an internet random's comments. The DL interview with Selwyn Griffith is so insightful. He describes how the players are unable to do enough training during the season to maintain their fitness. Hence the importance of an excellent pre-season and why Oliver is not going to get back to - and sustain -  pre-hamstring injury form this season. 

• Like 9

Perhaps we can start a thread, about how upset we get about the people that push trade rumours about people that we find important to our club?🤷‍♀️

I do forget that AFL long ago moved on from it's tribal nature (not the supporters), the corporate bohemoth that IS the AFL  and how it views itself as merely entertainment and a product for the masses.  And that includes the media snippets and articles and airtime, that we digest from the marketing machine that is the AFL, that perpetuates our anxities and causes us great distress.

So much time wasted on

Clayton, will he go, will he stay?

Charlie Cameron 3 weeks?? WTF ,oh it's 0 Weeks still WTF??

Jack Crisp, will he break Jimmy Stynes consecutive games record? What a grub!

Random random clickity baity bits n bobs...

• Like 6

3 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

@Gator needs to post more.

One of the more respected members of this page for many years. From a footy analysis point of view he just calls it as he sees it and you can never have enough of people of that ilk around here.

In that post, @Gator was disrespectful of Oliver and stated he does not care for Oliver and went on to character assassin him. We all have bad days, but posting more of that kinda tripe is unwarranted. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, binman said:

It's also quite fun watching self styled iconoclasts unable to resist the need to make such comments.

'oh you silly fan boys you are all so silly taking the bait.

It doesnt bother me of course that you do, but i'm a rugged individual above such ridiculousness and I find you all so funny'

I mean, seriously, other people critising cornes rings your bell so much you feel the need to post about your discomfort (dressed up as derision)?

You seemingly have no insight into  the irony and contradiction at work here.

I've got no problem with people discussing how much a journalist has annoyed or triggered them.

But if they are going to post unsubstantiated rumours and hatespeech then I'll have no problem saying something about it, I don't come on here for that.

Edited by layzie

5 hours ago, Fat Tony said:

Goodwin has shown that he is capable of making ruthless decisions on players who are distractions. This is definitely a 'watch this space' and, if we do put Oliver on the trade block again, I trust that the club knows more than us.

I view salary cap space as the club's most important football asset (much more important than picks because the draft is inefficient and players can get to their preferred clubs) and so an Oliver trade could look terrible on the surface but leave us in a better position.

I also think that the difference between Oliver being a superstar and a plodder is whether or not he can regain his elite speed. He is not a great kick and, when he cannot break away from congestion, he has become a liability on the field. Is the loss of Oliver's breakaway speed due to his poor preseason or is it due to age and the rest of the competition catching up? (I am sure it is both, but it is hard to say which is more.)

Who have those been in the past? Watts?

None of them have the career that Oliver has to this point.

People throw around this concept of clubs needing to be "ruthless" all the time. I actually think it's exceedingly rare that clubs force out proven talent. 

7 minutes ago, titan_uranus said:

Who have those been in the past? Watts?

None of them have the career that Oliver has to this point.

People throw around this concept of clubs needing to be "ruthless" all the time. I actually think it's exceedingly rare that clubs force out proven talent. 

A bloke called Jesse Hogan...

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1