POSTGAME: Rd 16 vs Brisbane

Demonland

Second quarter was fantastic, but otherwise we kicked three goals (and thirteen points) in three quarters.

We got exactly what we deserved by returning to negative, timid football in the last quarter instead of trying to win the game. 

• Like 11

In the end game was decided by less than goal and there were 2 umpiring decisions that cost a total of 12 points.

It’s good we didn’t win but played well. We don’t have a chance so finish low blood the youth and see how the cards fall next year. Winning tonight gets your hopes up for nothing. 

• Facepalm 1

Very mentally fragile this club at the moment. 

Produced a ripper of a 2nd quarter, then the complete opposite in the 4th.

No idea what Goodwin was thinking putting Pup on with basically 2 seconds to go in the game. No composure on the field or off it. And to top it off, the site went down for a good 2 minutes.

• Like 3
  • Facepalm 1

Devastated. That was never a free kick as Nibbler was off balance. Our forward line fired blanks all through that last quarter again though and cost us the game. I think we've found a ripper in the Kolt. 

• Like 7
  • Thinking 1

Proud of the boys tonight, no expectation second quarter was the most fun I've had since 21. Lots to like about amw and kolt. 

Umps where horrible so quick to blow the whistle against us for the whole game , yet they swallowed it in the last 4 minutes when there where some obvious ones we should have been paid

• Like 8

The lack of composure from so many of our players was just not good enough. Should have won that by 3 or 4 goals. Langdon and Petty missing regulation shots at goal, 4 times between them. 

i said to my family we have to take all our chances in the last, miss and we won't win.

When Petty missed at the top of the last you could tell it was game over.

The result was predictable after that.

The only forward who looked like kicking straight was Kozzy.

And again, we stopped to a walk in the last. I can only assume it's the combination of too few doing the heavy lifting.

AMW a really solid debut I thought. Clarry and JVR early were brilliant, but JVR fell off a cliff in the second half.

And finally, May should be told long kicks only from the kick outs or only take the absolute no brainers short. Far too often it's him turning it over from the kick in this season. 

Such a disappointing result. A brilliant second quarter, some good patches in the other quarters, but our inability to take regulation shots on goal and convert them has cost us one flag and will see us miss the 8 altogether this year.

Edited by Binmans PA
  • Like 15

Well that was [censored] torture.

Very proud of Viney, Clarry and Kosi tonight. 

Petty the less said the better. 

Was really hoping we'd win that after Cam "Jack Watts" Raynor took a mark and carried on like Wayne Carey in the 90s, then went back to doing [censored] all as usual. What a joke of a player.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, loges said:

Really disappointing last quarter, lost our dare and tried to play too safe, then missed the chances we did get. Only needed to kick one goal and couldn't do that

I'd go as far as to say we only needed a few forward 50 stoppages and we couldn't even get that. Fritsch's HtB on our first entry for ages then Sparrow streaming away from the middle and kicking out on the full. Then you look at Petty and Langdon's misses. 

These moments could have helped us to conserve some energy, instead we got run off our feet.

• Like 3

Petty 0.4

Fritsch 1.3 And that last miss is his bread-and-butter. Poor

The lack of composure from Langdon with his last shot on goal. . 

Lack of composure (especially in F50 is becoming more than a trend, it is now an addiction.

ANB - absolute brain fade.

Rivers - taking time off the clock to then just bomb it 10m out from the goal. Easiest F50 entry to defend.

This was a VERY young team. Some of the young fellas were strong tonight. 

We were beaten by 5 points, and matched or beat them over the ground.

Last quarters a concern.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

After uttering a few words that I’m not permitted to repeat on here, my first thought is that I’m as proud as I could be of our team after a loss!  

We’ve recovered lots of the DNA that been missing all year, and if we can maintain that, we are by no means out of contention in 2024.

Edited by Deeoldfart
  • Like 7

1 minute ago, Rab D Nesbitt said:

Devastated. That was never a free kick as Nibbler was off balance. Our forward line fired blanks all through that last quarter again though and cost us the game. I think we've found a ripper in the Kolt. 

That nibbler free was obvious to me . Definately put himself over the line, dumb

• Like 11
  • Clap 1

1 minute ago, The Stigga said:

Bloody proud

But I think our window has passed

I was so gutted after the Carlton final as I knew it was our last real opportunity with the game plan and list. This year is a tweak to both and I was hoping we would be thereabouts to launch late in the year.

After the Adelaide games I thought we might be in the hunt, but a few injuries have exposed or lack of depth.

We still have a list to challenge next year and after. Finding some good young players to refresh us will mean we can bounce back.

Things are never as good or as bad as they seem.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Rab D Nesbitt said:

Rubbish he didn't even try to hide it.

• Like 5
  • Thinking 1

Plenty on here said we were no chance and would be lucky to clear the line. 

The overwhelming sentiment for those people should be pride, because we significantly outperformed that expectation. 

To lose from that position though is more than disappointing. Clearly our fitness isn’t where it needs to be, but the tactics weren’t right and panic set in. Too many long kicks to nobody in the last 5 minutes, and not enough talls at the fall of the ball. The ANB free was a panic moment. And Rivers taking too much time and then kicking too long and to no one but Sparrow. All bad stuff. 

The question from here is whether we can harness what we found tonight and unleash it on the last 8 games. If we can, and if we can fix these fourth quarter problems, this season isn’t done yet.

• Like 4
  • Clap 2

Never likely with Max on 9 possies and two marks.

115 marks to 60 wth.Thats appalling.

I'm looking at you Fritta.

Sparrow come on.

And Petty four behinds. It's not that hard. Just one goal and we win . The bloke cannot kick a goal. 

Oliver and Viney well done. Nice bag from Kozzie. 

Umps from hell. Disgrace.

• Like 3